Florida State 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm

I am currently a 1L at FSU Law, I went to UF for undergrad and grad school. I hope I can answer any questions you might have about FSU law, and any related topics. Fire away!

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby atlantalaw » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:52 pm

thanks for taking questions! mine are a bit general, so any info you want to provide would be appreciated.

do you have a 1L summer job lined up? do you feel it is easy to get a 1L summer job?

how is the grading curve at fsu?

how is the law library?

how much do you see the economy affecting fsu law? in what ways?

midrangejumper
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:56 pm

first off, thank you for taking questions.

how do you like the city of Tallahassee?

why do you think that FSU's biglaw stats are comparably much lower than university of miami's? (we've heard a lot of thoughts on this, but not specifically a students opinion)

what is your favorite part about FSU law?

do you see FSU having a not-so competitive atmosphere (ive heard this is the case)

why are you glad you chose FSU over maybe some of the other (possibly florida) options that you had?

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:21 pm

atlantalaw wrote:thanks for taking questions! mine are a bit general, so any info you want to provide would be appreciated.

do you have a 1L summer job lined up? do you feel it is easy to get a 1L summer job?

how is the grading curve at fsu?

how is the law library?

how much do you see the economy affecting fsu law? in what ways?


First, I think you must understand that 1Ls generally don't get the best paying/ most rewarding jobs during the summer after the first year. This is generally reserved for 2Ls. With the economy like it is I don't know many kids in my class who have lined up summer employment just yet, but as for me personally I have lined up some work (for minimal pay).

The grading curve is very fair in my opinion. I was fearful at first that I would be somehow penalized because of the curve, when in fact I think I benefited from it in the end. Here it is fully explained:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/current_students ... rading.pdf

The law library is nowhere near as nice as the one at UF. They recently added some new furniture, but its like putting lipstick on a pig. If I had to name my least favorite part about FSU law it is the library. Its perfectly functional, and adequately stocked with books, its just not very aesthetically pleasing.

And as for your last question, I think the job market is in the depths of hell right now but I continually see job postings at the placement office and hear of the older students getting jobs consistently. Put another way, during the annual student fund drive 85% of the 1L class gave a donation. FSU law is not being negatively affected by the economy as far as I can see.

Hope these answers are at least a bit of help.

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:47 pm

midrangejumper wrote:first off, thank you for taking questions.

how do you like the city of Tallahassee?

why do you think that FSU's biglaw stats are comparably much lower than university of miami's? (we've heard a lot of thoughts on this, but not specifically a students opinion)

what is your favorite part about FSU law?

do you see FSU having a not-so competitive atmosphere (ive heard this is the case)

why are you glad you chose FSU over maybe some of the other (possibly florida) options that you had?


Tallahassee is the most perfect city in Florida for being in law school. Obviously the reasoning behind this is the sheer # of law firms in this city, # of lobbying firms, the 1st DCA, FL Supreme Ct, Capitol, and the list goes on. If you want to find employment it is here for the taking. I come from Gainesville, FL so this is a much bigger city for me. The nightlife is on a bigger scale (more options) and the people are much more of a mixed-bag (age/race/you name it).

My personal opinion on the BigLaw stats has solely to do with the student's choice. In other words, kids who want to do BigLaw will typically choose Miami over FSU thereby pumping up Miami's stats. The location of UM obviously has a large part to do with this as well. If you want to do BigLaw you will not be hindered in your efforts to do so by going to FSU, this I can assure you. Being in the top of your class at most top schools will give you the opportunity to apply to BigLaw if that's your gig.

And finally the question I've really been waiting for.. MY favorite part about FSU. Coming to FSU law I was worried sick about how difficult law school was gonna be and how it would be the death of my social life (which I treasure). So it was a great surprise to me to see how completely wrong I was. Don't get me wrong law school is not a walk in the park, BUT Florida State Law makes that walk FUN. That's right, it wasn't a typo, I think FSU law is fun. This is because FSU has an amazing Student Bar Association (SBA of the year for 2008) that throws socials (all the time, sometimes themed) that everyone is invited to, you get to meet your classmates outside of class and enjoy yourself some. I have made a ton of friends who party hard and study harder. Everyone in my classes are cordial to one another and there is a relaxed atmosphere that can not be described till you get here. If you want to hide books in the library, FSU is not for you.

The not-so-competitive atmosphere is my 2nd favorite thing about FSU. The professors are sometimes downright hilarious (I'm not sure I have ever laughed as much as I have in law school) and are SUPER approachable. The kids around you will email you their notes if your sick. It sounds like something from a movie, but everyone here is drinking the kool-aid I guess.

Let's put it this way, I chose FSU over UF (even though both my parents were UF law grads) and have been so happy with my decision I wanted to join TLS so tell others why they should do the same. I had everyone telling me that UF is the better school, ranked higher, blah blah. While UF's rank is higher today I can almost guarantee FSU will surpass UF rank in the next 5 years. Here's why: Age and Alumni. UF is a far older school, meaning it has more alumni that give more and place more jobs. With every year that passes FSU has been climbing the ranks while UF remains stale and in place. If you are going solely on USN rank, you will chose UF, but if you take into account a few of the intagibles I have tried to spell out here, then I will be seeing you next fall at the 1st social.

Hope this will suffice!

ajf110577
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby ajf110577 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:18 pm

thanks for taking questions. can you give a brief rundown of the housing situation? are there places close by, how much for a typical two or three bedroom? stuff like that.

acfrahm
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby acfrahm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks for taking questions. I had a few that I have been wondering about.

Do most 1L’s live with other 1L’s? How did you go about finding your roommates?

How is the gym at FSU?

What is the typical section size?

How is the job search for most 2L’s that you talk to?

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby green918 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for your insight.

I was wondering about how long it took after you filed your fafsa for fsu to get back to you with your
"award" package (i.e. how much federal loans you qualify for).

Also, when I visited a couple of weeks ago, the person who led my tour pointed out that a new parking
garage had just opened up. Have you noticed whether or not this has made parking easier on commuting
students or was there not really a problem before?

and....pc or mac? :-)

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:36 pm

ajf110577 wrote:thanks for taking questions. can you give a brief rundown of the housing situation? are there places close by, how much for a typical two or three bedroom? stuff like that.


There are 3 or 4 apartment complexes across the street from the law school for those that want to roll out of bed and be in class in 5 min. If you come on a visit or come to admitted students day you will see what I am referring to. I do not know if these places have 3 or 4 bedroom options but I'm sure they have 1 and 2 bedroom options. I know a lot of 1Ls live in a place called Polos on Park because the law school told them about it and they were from out of town and didn't know any better. Truth is, I don't think any of them will be living there next year. Not because it is a bad place, but because its kind of far away.
That being said, if you just drive around Tallahassee you can find PLENTY of housing around the campus. Granted it will most likely be with undergrads, but you are going to find that everywhere.
I personally live in a house with a couple guys I knew from high school. If living in a house is your thing there are plenty of them, you just have to live a bit farther from campus (I drive to school and it takes approx 7-10 min)

As for cost I would say that it is very comparable to most cities of this size, 400-500 per for a 2bd room apt. More for a single, less for a triple. Hope this gives a slight glimpse into housing.

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:51 pm

acfrahm wrote:Thanks for taking questions. I had a few that I have been wondering about.

Do most 1L’s live with other 1L’s? How did you go about finding your roommates?

How is the gym at FSU?

What is the typical section size?

How is the job search for most 2L’s that you talk to?


Yes, most 1Ls live with other 1Ls. OR they live with other kids in Law school (e.g. 2Ls) or they live with kids they know who already live in Tallahassee. I even know a guy who lives with first year med students. It varies quite a bit but its probably in your best interest to live with other 1Ls (same lifestyle, same studying, etc) I live with 2 guys who are both 5th year seniors that I know from high school. My recommendation for everyone else is to go to admitted students day and meet people there, or ask the law school to help you out.

The gym is called The Leach and is pretty decent. Has plenty of free weights and machines, and also has an indoor pool and indoor track within it. And if you want to pay for a gym I know plenty of kids go to the Gold's Gyms which has a couple locations in Tally.

My 1L class was larger than the admissions office has expected so we have 3 sections of approx. 70-75 people. I imagine that won't be the case next year, although I could be wrong.

Of the 2Ls I talk with it seems as much as the job market blows they are still somehow getting good jobs. FSU attracts a lot of On Campus Interviews which in turn garners many follow-up interviews and job offers. You will soon find out that class rank is a huge part in getting these OCIs so your 1L grades mean a lot. Also, knowing people in the legal profession helps out tremendously, 'its not what you know but who you know' applies directly to the legal profession.

Hope these were sufficient answers!

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:00 pm

green918 wrote:Thanks for your insight.

I was wondering about how long it took after you filed your fafsa for fsu to get back to you with your
"award" package (i.e. how much federal loans you qualify for).

Also, when I visited a couple of weeks ago, the person who led my tour pointed out that a new parking
garage had just opened up. Have you noticed whether or not this has made parking easier on commuting
students or was there not really a problem before?

and....pc or mac? :-)


I did not file my FAFSA till about 3 weeks before school started (I was enjoying my last summer of freedom a little too much I guess) and got my result in about a week. I cannot attest if this was normal as I am not a federal loan officer but I know the people in the financial aid office could answer this much better than I.

The new parking garage is amazing, for the sole reason that I have a parking spot for the entire year for $15. At the beginning of the year you buy a law school parking card/decal that gives you access to that lot next to the school and the lot you are referring to. This lot immediately adjacent to the school is typically full so it is great to have the option of the new parking garage across the street. And if you want to pay $160 you can park a bit closer at the Civic Center, also across the street. I commute to school and there is always parking available, whether in the law school lot or the new garage.

And I have a PC. There isn't a predomination either way amongst the students that I have noticed.

Hope this answers your questions.

DougieG
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:25 am

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby DougieG » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:32 am

Thanks for taking questions. I was admitted to FSU immediately (first of all my apps) which made them appealing in a sentimental sense but I also feel like they actually want me to go to school there.

What's you least favorite part of living in Tallahassee? I'm from the SF Bay Area and San Diego (UG here), how much of a culture shock would it really be for me?

If you visited any other schools you were accepted to, like Florida, what made you choose FSU over them?

Thanks again.

hitmon33
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby hitmon33 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 am

The big question, are you a Gator or Seminole fan? If you say both, I must kindly ask that you remove yourself from the "Gator Nation."

Also, poster above me, I'm from San Diego as well and did my UG at UF. While UF and Tallahassee are different, they are both still northern Florida and both still pretty redneck. I regretted choosing UF over Berkeley big time, despite a full ride.

I'll always love Gator football though. Pros and cons, but for me, the cons outweighed the pros. You're a San Diego boy. I would highly suggest a visit.

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby klmnumbers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:36 am

ajf110577 wrote:thanks for taking questions. can you give a brief rundown of the housing situation? are there places close by, how much for a typical two or three bedroom? stuff like that.


I was an undergrad at FSU, so I can vouch that housing is one of the better things in Tallahassee, imo. We have a nice free bus system, so even if you don't own a car, living off campus isn't terrible. I lived off campus for a year before I got my car. The city is chock full of small apartment complexes in addition to graduate student dorms (Ragans Hall building 4 and Rogers) which both have full kitchen/bathroom in addition to your room and a full living area.

@ the person who asked about the Gym - The Leach is a multi-million dollar gift of the gods. It's a HUGE gym with well stocked equipment and lots of room. People are polite and don't hog machines as well. Also, there are somewhere around a billion classes taught (ie yoga, kickboxing, dance workouts, etc).

Also, everyone should go to the Student Life Building for free movies and video games. Pre-screenings and celebrity events. Mostly because I worked there.. I love the building, and I want to pimp it as much as possible. =D

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby misbuble » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:01 am

Your screen is someone broken though, nobody at slb knows how to focus a projector.

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:46 am

DougieG wrote:Thanks for taking questions. I was admitted to FSU immediately (first of all my apps) which made them appealing in a sentimental sense but I also feel like they actually want me to go to school there.

What's you least favorite part of living in Tallahassee? I'm from the SF Bay Area and San Diego (UG here), how much of a culture shock would it really be for me?

If you visited any other schools you were accepted to, like Florida, what made you choose FSU over them?

Thanks again.


If FSU gave you a quick admission they do want you here, that goes with out question. If you came for a visit you could see this first hand, being wanted at a school is so much more appealing that just 'getting in'.

Least favorite part about Tallahassee is hmm...... I guess the size. I come from a small town and went to school in Gainesville which is also a relatively small town and Tallahassee just isn't. It takes a good drive to get to places across town, which isn't something I'm used to at all. The good news is that the law school is within walking distance of Tallahassee downtown. As for culture shock, I'd be lying if I said it was anything like San Diego. BUT, that being said I know many kids from out of state (including California) who find the change of pace a breath of fresh air. I recommend coming to check it out for yourself because it might be too much for you, but it might not bother you at all.

I visited a few schools but the factor that made me choose FSU is the people factor. I figured if I'm going to be anyplace all day everyday for 3 years I hope I am happy there, and being surrounded by people who are not going to be cut throat and want to be friends is my kind of place. You will not get the full extent of this from the tour, its impossible, but try and see how people are acting and how the faculty/staff treat you. This is why I chose FSU.

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 am

hitmon33 wrote:The big question, are you a Gator or Seminole fan? If you say both, I must kindly ask that you remove yourself from the "Gator Nation."

Also, poster above me, I'm from San Diego as well and did my UG at UF. While UF and Tallahassee are different, they are both still northern Florida and both still pretty redneck. I regretted choosing UF over Berkeley big time, despite a full ride.

I'll always love Gator football though. Pros and cons, but for me, the cons outweighed the pros. You're a San Diego boy. I would highly suggest a visit.


I am a Gator fan through and through. And unlike you, I don't regret my decision to go to UF so I will kindly ask that you remove yourself from the "Gator Nation".

As for being "redneck", I respectfully disagree. If you consider a slightly slower cadence, and a more relaxed way of life "redneck" then fine I'll accept your definition. People in north Florida are a bit more like southern Georgia than southern Florida.

I would also recommend a visit for anyone, no matter where you are from. No use in being disappointed in the place whee you are going to be for 3 years. Take a tour, talk to students, and talk to faculty... be impressed!

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby misbuble » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:08 am

adjutor wrote:
hitmon33 wrote:The big question, are you a Gator or Seminole fan? If you say both, I must kindly ask that you remove yourself from the "Gator Nation."

Also, poster above me, I'm from San Diego as well and did my UG at UF. While UF and Tallahassee are different, they are both still northern Florida and both still pretty redneck. I regretted choosing UF over Berkeley big time, despite a full ride.

I'll always love Gator football though. Pros and cons, but for me, the cons outweighed the pros. You're a San Diego boy. I would highly suggest a visit.


I am a Gator fan through and through. And unlike you, I don't regret my decision to go to UF so I will kindly ask that you remove yourself from the "Gator Nation".

As for being "redneck", I respectfully disagree. If you consider a slightly slower cadence, and a more relaxed way of life "redneck" then fine I'll accept your definition. People in north Florida are a bit more like southern Georgia than southern Florida.

I would also recommend a visit for anyone, no matter where you are from. No use in being disappointed in the place whee you are going to be for 3 years. Take a tour, talk to students, and talk to faculty... be impressed!


I'm in a position to judge both Gville and Tnasty. They both suck, but you're more likely to get robbed in Tnasty, but it's WAY REDNECK in gainesville and everywhere around it. Like ignorant redneck. I wouldn't attend either institution if they payed me 200k and a full ride.

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby klmnumbers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:15 am

misbuble wrote:Your screen is someone broken though, nobody at slb knows how to focus a projector.


I guess I'll have to disagree with you there =(. I mean, I graduated in the spring, so I don't know if something horrendous happened, and the projector broke.. but Brian is highly capable of screening films, lol. I've been looking at pictures from all the crazy costume events and the Indiana Jones lock-in and feeling home-sick for my old job!

ETA - lol @ calling Tallahasse *redneck*. I couldn't disagree more. Given that it's got two major things in it - the capitol and the college, the majority of the population is from all over the state/country. I was born and raised in Northern Florida, and both cities I've lived in are more like northern transplants in the south (my hometown moreso given that it's a navy town).

if you want redneck, head west a little more into the panhandle. If anything, Tally is slightly ghetto with a large homeless population and crime.
Last edited by klmnumbers on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby misbuble » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:17 am

please tell me you never worked concessions

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby klmnumbers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

misbuble wrote:please tell me you never worked concessions


No, I worked at the info desk... Why so much hate for an awesome building? =/ I thought the SLB was one of the nicest things about the campus. God forbid your university provide free computers, a large movie theatre (with celebrity events and prescreenings), and gaming.

I'm sure there are worse things to talk down on.

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby misbuble » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:21 am

no i thought slb was cool, but it gave me headaches to watch movies there sometimes b/c it was horribly focused.

User avatar
klmnumbers
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby klmnumbers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:23 am

misbuble wrote:no i thought slb was cool, but it gave me headaches to watch movies there sometimes b/c it was horribly focused.


Perhaps you just need glasses!

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby atlantalaw » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:01 pm

adjutor wrote:First, I think you must understand that 1Ls generally don't get the best paying/ most rewarding jobs during the summer after the first year. This is generally reserved for 2Ls. With the economy like it is I don't know many kids in my class who have lined up summer employment just yet, but as for me personally I have lined up some work (for minimal pay).


Hope these answers are at least a bit of help.


your answers are very helpful! it is exciting to see that you are so happy with your choice to attend fsu law!

when i was talking to the dean of admissions, i asked her about the 1L summer job placement. she seemed overly optimistic and said nobody has trouble finding a summer job after 1L, which i thought was strange for any law school, not even considering the current state of the economy. your answer is more in line with what i was expecting. oh, and congrats on having a summer job lined up for yourself!

ajf110577
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby ajf110577 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I was recently offered a scholarship but it is for the first year only. Are there are a lot of scholarship opportunities for 2 and 3Ls? Most schools have made a point of saying that they don't give out many scholarships past what is awarded to incoming 1Ls, and I'm wondering if FSU is different in this respect.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests