South Texas College of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
UHPT
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby UHPT » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:06 pm

ao32115 wrote:This is coming from a current UH Law student who's talked to both UH Law grads and STCL grads. Reality is that in the current economy: 1) For UH, you'll need to be top 30% to have a decent shot at obtaining a job which allows you to pay back your 70K-80K in student loans without having to live like a hermit, 2) For STCL, you'll likely need to be top 30.


this is the kind of information i am looking for..so to clarify when you say top 30 you do not mean top 30% for STCL right?

How many STCL students get internships with good, well reputed firms?

Also does anyone know what are the chances of transferring from STCL to UH? and when exactly can I apply for a transfer?

I am applying for spring 2012..got dinged at UH-PT. I am just worried that if I do end up going to STCL will I be able to transfer easily with a good gpa etc? if not could i end up with a good job not necessarily a biglaw job but just a good job to help me pay off my loans..I have heard quite a few oil and gas firms hire out of STCL not necessarily for the legal department but for jobs like landmen etc... their salary isnt bad avg around 80-90k.

I

User avatar
happy187
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby happy187 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 am

From the recent grads of STCL that I know they have all secured some form of legal work. The majority are in a mid to small size firm making anywhere from 60-85k. Which is very liveable with loan payments in Houston. I will say the biggest complaint is that the grads had to sacrifice choice of law practice. I guess you can't be too picky.

Of course those that had better network connections seemed to land in more desirable spots. I also know some superstars (Mock Trial, LR) that are at Big Law in Houston. The national exposure that STCL Mock Trial team gets really helps, especially those that desire litigation.

As far as transfer possibilities I have heard that it is really hard to gauge. For example I spoke to one student that was top 30% and transferred to UH, and I know of a top 5% that didn't have any luck. From what I gather the ability to transfer has just as much to do with the accepting school needing transfers, as it does with your qualifications.

UHPT
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby UHPT » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Thank you, that information was very helpful.

happy187 wrote:From the recent grads of STCL that I know they have all secured some form of legal work. The majority are in a mid to small size firm making anywhere from 60-85k. Which is very liveable with loan payments in Houston. I will say the biggest complaint is that the grads had to sacrifice choice of law practice. I guess you can't be too picky.

Of course those that had better network connections seemed to land in more desirable spots. I also know some superstars (Mock Trial, LR) that are at Big Law in Houston. The national exposure that STCL Mock Trial team gets really helps, especially those that desire litigation.

As far as transfer possibilities I have heard that it is really hard to gauge. For example I spoke to one student that was top 30% and transferred to UH, and I know of a top 5% that didn't have any luck. From what I gather the ability to transfer has just as much to do with the accepting school needing transfers, as it does with your qualifications.

User avatar
fatpeopleavenger
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Hey guys,

I have a question (this intending to current and former STCL students). This is a weird question and I would say an obvious answer to follow but I will ask regardless...Would it be fair to say most students at STCL are conservative/Republicans? I do not want to use political ideology as a factor to determine a law school but I am a progressive kid from NYC so I need to determine if this is good for my mental health lol. I've been recently admitted for the spring semester so any info would be helpful.

User avatar
happy187
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby happy187 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:Hey guys,

I have a question (this intending to current and former STCL students). This is a weird question and I would say an obvious answer to follow but I will ask regardless...Would it be fair to say most students at STCL are conservative/Republicans? I do not want to use political ideology as a factor to determine a law school but I am a progressive kid from NYC so I need to determine if this is good for my mental health lol. I've been recently admitted for the spring semester so any info would be helpful.


Honestly after two years here I haven't run into significant political views. But for what its worth Houston is a very progressive city, (see Anise Parker; Lesbian Mayor). It is a Democratic seat and has been since 1981. Texas is a conservative state but the major cities are Democratic. Hope that helps.

discostud01
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby discostud01 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:32 pm

I am applying for Fall 2012, I am graduating from UHD with a 3.8 gpa so far, and made a 151 LSAT (I know it is somewhat low, but I only took a week off to study). I am a police officer, and I know criminal law very well. I am planning on moving careers if a better opportunity should arise after law school, and I am able to get into a large law firm.

I am more concerned with what I have read about a harsh grading curve. I really love getting A's and I am very OCD about my grades. I read that only a lucky few, will get A's. My friend also has scared me with a story about one of our high school classmates, who is of reasonable intelligence and failed out. He did go through a period of drug abuse, which may explain this. I am sort of freaking out that I may be unlucky and be the recipient of low grades, due to the curve. I am not the brightest person, I am most likely above average, and have my occasional moments of glory. I just have a very good memory, and I am able to recall alot of information. I am also able to figure things out on my own, and muddle through them without asking for help.

I am just paranoid of getting into something, that I might fail at.

User avatar
happy187
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby happy187 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 pm

discostud01 wrote:I am applying for Fall 2012, I am graduating from UHD with a 3.8 gpa so far, and made a 151 LSAT (I know it is somewhat low, but I only took a week off to study). I am a police officer, and I know criminal law very well. I am planning on moving careers if a better opportunity should arise after law school, and I am able to get into a large law firm.

I am more concerned with what I have read about a harsh grading curve. I really love getting A's and I am very OCD about my grades. I read that only a lucky few, will get A's. My friend also has scared me with a story about one of our high school classmates, who is of reasonable intelligence and failed out. He did go through a period of drug abuse, which may explain this. I am sort of freaking out that I may be unlucky and be the recipient of low grades, due to the curve. I am not the brightest person, I am most likely above average, and have my occasional moments of glory. I just have a very good memory, and I am able to recall alot of information. I am also able to figure things out on my own, and muddle through them without asking for help.

I am just paranoid of getting into something, that I might fail at.


The curve is harsh: 2.6. So don't expect many A's. Of course this curve is only on the required courses. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about failing. If you do the reading and put in any effort you will pass. Those that fail out usually don't go to class, or just don't do any of the reading. There are some of my class mates that are dumb. Shocking how they got into law school. However, they still manage C's.

Also, don't hang your hat on knowing criminal law. The application of LEO concepts of law and what is asked for in law school is very different. Plus it is only one class. Just an fyi we have 4 HPD officers in my class. One of which is 25+ high up at HPD and they all were B/B+ grades in Crim Law.

andresmtz147
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:59 am

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby andresmtz147 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Howdy,

I am applying to law school for Fall 2012 admissions. I am from Texas and opting to studying law here. My choices are UT, SMU, UH, and STCL. I have a 3.52 LSAC undergrad GPA and took the LSAT back in 09 and scored a lousy 148. I will retake the exam this Dec, but my studying hasnt paid off; Ive been scoring in the 146-148 range on every practice test Ive taken. I bought the 3 power score books and read them. I'm starting to believe that the only school I have a chance of getting into is STCL, which I do not mind. But here is my question. What is the transfer process (to UH), but before that, what are my chances of getting accepting to STCL? I will graduate with an MBA this coming spring, currently hold a 4.0 GPA. I am aware an MBA gpa will not help my LSAC gpa, but it can help my app overall. Right? Any info on finc. aid./ scholarships will be great! Thanks!

User avatar
caputlupinum
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby caputlupinum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:02 pm

If you are not a Bob Jones Baptist should you really go to south texas over Baylor?

User avatar
happy187
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby happy187 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 pm

andresmtz147 wrote:Howdy,

I am applying to law school for Fall 2012 admissions. I am from Texas and opting to studying law here. My choices are UT, SMU, UH, and STCL. I have a 3.52 LSAC undergrad GPA and took the LSAT back in 09 and scored a lousy 148. I will retake the exam this Dec, but my studying hasnt paid off; Ive been scoring in the 146-148 range on every practice test Ive taken. I bought the 3 power score books and read them. I'm starting to believe that the only school I have a chance of getting into is STCL, which I do not mind. But here is my question. What is the transfer process (to UH), but before that, what are my chances of getting accepting to STCL? I will graduate with an MBA this coming spring, currently hold a 4.0 GPA. I am aware an MBA gpa will not help my LSAC gpa, but it can help my app overall. Right? Any info on finc. aid./ scholarships will be great! Thanks!


I got in with similar numbers to yours, I also had strong softs. I spoke with a professor that was on the admissions committee and he said that STCL has auto admit numbers, then they all go into a review pile rated in 3 tiers. 1 tier which is one review and admit, then 2 tier which is two review (2nd review goes to a board) then they admit or admit wait list (if there aren't any seats), then 3 tier which is 1 review and deny. Point is if you are on the fence numbers wise with STCL rolling admissions: APPLY EARLY that way you are high on the wait list. STCL is a safety school for many people so they get lots of apps and lots of people decline to come.

I wouldn't count on transferring to UH. You and every other student at STCL and probably TSU go in hoping to transfer to UH. However, the process is based solely on numbers, and then on availability. So, great numbers won't get you transferred. I have talked to a couple students that transferred from STCL and they had very good grades and good connections to UH. And, also I have talked to students that didn't get accepted into UH and had better grades than those that were accepted. To me it seems pretty arbitrary. Basically, i would say that if you get into STCL come here only if you are happy with graduating from STCL.

As far as scholarship info I know they are stingy and then on top of that it is very difficult to keep the scholarship. We have a brutal curve 2.6 and you need 3.2 typically to keep the scholarships. So plan on staying in the top 15-20% to maintain the scholarship. With that said. I love the school and enjoy my classes. GL.

otaibi26
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 am

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby otaibi26 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:45 pm

I'll be starting my first year at STCL and have a couple questions.

When I called the school a while back and asked where the parking was (I had to drop something off) I was informed that they don't have a designated parking. Where do students generally park? Of course the cheaper the better but cost is not too big of a factor for me, I'm more concerned with finding a parking lot/garage that will actually have space available so that I'm not late to class. I did my undergrad at UH so I'm hoping the parking situation is better at STCL.

In reading through here I saw that STCL doesn't have a dress code, but how do students typically dress? Suit, button up w/ khakis, or just very casual like everyone did at undergrad?

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: South Texas College of Law

Postby Grad_Student » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:24 pm

otaibi26 wrote:I'll be starting my first year at STCL and have a couple questions.

When I called the school a while back and asked where the parking was (I had to drop something off) I was informed that they don't have a designated parking. Where do students generally park? Of course the cheaper the better but cost is not too big of a factor for me, I'm more concerned with finding a parking lot/garage that will actually have space available so that I'm not late to class. I did my undergrad at UH so I'm hoping the parking situation is better at STCL.

In reading through here I saw that STCL doesn't have a dress code, but how do students typically dress? Suit, button up w/ khakis, or just very casual like everyone did at undergrad?

Suit everyday....no dude, wear whatever, it's just class.

Parking: there are 2 parking lots that are $3 a day or 2 garages that are $40 a month. I always chose the garage as it was covered and not full of bums like the lots.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nickelanddime and 1 guest