Charlotte School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nealric

Re: Charlotte School of Law

Postby nealric » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:42 pm

That being said however, a top rate education should educate the students to be practice ready, and not argue about the Legal Realism movement or other irrelevant nonsense.

I would argue that a good lawyer doesn't just understand the law as it stands, but understands what's behind the law to anticipate future changes. Understanding legal realism could be of great use in defining the legal issues in certain cases.

And it's not like top schools ignore substantive law at the expensive of theory. The theory is merely added on top of the substantive law.

NCviaVA

Postby NCviaVA » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Just came across this... --LinkRemoved--

Granted, they had to make up for last year's pass rate, but 3rd in the state? That's a huge jump.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:40 pm

NCviaVA wrote:Just came across this... --LinkRemoved--

Granted, they had to make up for last year's pass rate, but 3rd in the state? That's a huge jump.

Bar passage rates are not an adequate proxy for jobs.

ja88ck01

Postby ja88ck01 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:02 pm

It should be noted that CLS offers pros and cons, but a few pros don't immediately meet the eye. Indeed, out of the 7 ABA law schools in NC, it is near the bottom of the list. But this isn't really a shocker. This should be expected because of how young the school is - you have to start somewhere right? However, despite the fact the school is young and thus has very few alumni, some very worthwhile connections can be made. Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and is a hub for many things. Many lawyers from in-state and beyond find work in Charlotte. That being said:

1) It is dim-witted to assume that people of law professions will exclusively extend hands to only alumni from their school. Again, because Charlotte is such a large city, and the school is *drum roll* IN CHARLOTTE, this poses an advantage in making connections in the three years (and beyond perhaps) that you spend in Charlotte.
2) Once again, because of the city's size, many more internship / clerking type positions while in school are available in the city than, say, in Chapel Hill, where UNC is located. UNC is a better school no doubt, but Chapel Hill is a fairly small town compared to Charlotte.
3) The school is temporarily ABA certified, and honestly, I do not see their ABA certification going away anytime soon... at worst, they will stay on temporarily ABA certified status.

My 2 cents. I am personally an undergrad and haven't even started applying anywhere yet. BUT, I grew up in Charlotte, and this city is the business, commerce, population, and money center in the state of North Carolina. New York City is to New York as Charlotte is to North Carolina. Plain and simple.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:35 pm

ja88ck01 wrote:. New York City is to New York as Charlotte is to North Carolina. Plain and simple.

:shock:

fnm

Postby fnm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
ja88ck01 wrote:. New York City is to New York as Charlotte is to North Carolina. Plain and simple.

ooooh, analogies! I can play this too:

Charlotte is to North Carolina as Milwaukee is to Wisconsin.

Charlotte is to North Carolina as Indianapolis is to Indiana.

Charlotte Law is to North Carolina law schools as Regent Law is to Virginia law schools.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 pm

ja88ck01 wrote:My 2 cents. I am personally an undergrad and haven't even started applying anywhere yet. BUT, I grew up in Charlotte, and this city is the business, commerce, population, and money center in the state of North Carolina. New York City is to New York as Charlotte is to North Carolina. Plain and simple.

Hurr durr but what you don't realize that the Charlotte legal market is in the shitter and grads from much more prestigious schools will snap up the remaining jobs.

zrcm18

Postby zrcm18 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

baboon309 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't throw in 30-40k a year to feed those greedy Wall Street pigs.

You mean those same greedy Wall Street pigs who you and most every other person on TLS most desparately wants to work for, aka biglaw?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:06 pm

zrcm18 wrote:
baboon309 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't throw in 30-40k a year to feed those greedy Wall Street pigs.

You mean those same greedy Wall Street pigs who you and most every other person on TLS most desparately wants to work for, aka biglaw?

herp derp

paid work =/= giving money for a worthless degree

herp derp

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Sandro777 wrote:

let me guess.. you went to Country Day?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:

let me guess.. you went to Country Day?

haha, that is probably true, had some fraternity brothers that went there and they talked like CLT invented banking.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:22 pm

deadpanic wrote:haha, that is probably true, had some fraternity brothers that went there and they talked like CLT invented banking.

One of my broskis went to Latin, and he always wore these goddam Wachovia shirts everywhere even though his dad didn't work for Wachovia.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:04 pm

we had a good amount of country day/providence/catholic kids in my fraternity and it was a never ending struggle for them to prove two things...

1. that they were the second best financial city in the country
2. that they were a better city than Atlanta

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:20 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:2. that they were a better city than Atlanta

LOL

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm

I honestly would rather be a career garbage man in South Dakota then to attend Charlotte Law.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Charlotte recently emailed me offering a January 31 start and up to $2k in moving aid. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

prelaw2ucf

Postby prelaw2ucf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Charlotte recently emailed me offering a January 31 start and up to $2k in moving aid. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Me too, but I really wanted fall acceptances (im holding out for some upper tier schools) and Charlotte wants an answer by Monday :shock:
I know im gonna regret asking this, but how does Charlotte compare to Cooley? If you had to go to either one; which would you choose?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm

prelaw2ucf wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:Charlotte recently emailed me offering a January 31 start and up to $2k in moving aid. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Me too, but I really wanted fall acceptances (im holding out for some upper tier schools) and Charlotte wants an answer by Monday :shock:
I know im gonna regret asking this, but how does Charlotte compare to Cooley? If you had to go to either one; which would you choose?

Neither, and I'm not trying to be rude, i am trying to help you. listen to current law students, the market is truly that bad right now with no signs of improvement. both schools are scams.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:46 pm

prelawucf,

I cant tell if you are a flame with only 1 post, but if you have a 165 please, please please, do not tell me you are seriously considering Charlotte.

prelaw2ucf

Postby prelaw2ucf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Sandro777 wrote:prelawucf,

I cant tell if you are a flame with only 1 post, but if you have a 165 please, please please, do not tell me you are seriously considering Charlotte.

hi and no im not a "flame" (not even sure what that is, but ive heard it thrown around alot). I was just curious so many people talk so much stuff about alot of tier 4 schools and was curious. Im awaiting my acceptance to Michigan State (well they are my 1st choice). :mrgreen:
Ive been a member for awhile and usually just read the forum .. hadnt posted before!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:28 pm

What is your GPA ? If you dont mind me asking. Did you apply to FSU/UF?

prelaw2ucf

Postby prelaw2ucf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Sandro777 wrote:What is your GPA ? If you dont mind me asking. Did you apply to FSU/UF?

I have some GPA problems (2.8)!! I also graduated college late etc. I graduated in 06 and worked some after. So im really a "splitter" when it comes to my apps; I also took the LSAT twice and my first score was alot lower ...
Im actually looking to leave Florida so I am not applying to any of the Florida schools.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 pm

honestly even with a 2.0 a 165 will get you into better schools than Charlotte. Be careful.

prelaw2ucf

Postby prelaw2ucf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Sandro777 wrote:honestly even with a 2.0 a 165 will get you into better schools than Charlotte. Be careful.

Thanks for the heads up .. im really thinking about telling them thanks, but no thanks and just holding out and seeing what happens with my Fall apps?

ps. whats a "flamer" exactly?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:12 pm

prelaw2ucf wrote:ps. whats a "flamer" exactly?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”