Charlotte School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wiseowl

Re: Charlotte School of Law

Postby wiseowl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am

I would check and make sure Wake would possibly accept you as a transfer before going any further.

I know Duke has taken in-state transfers (from Wake) in past years. I know UNC has a pretty strict policy that they do NOT accept transfers from other in-state schools. It's possible that's been somehow lifted, but who knows. Anyway, do your homework on that front.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:27 pm

decej13 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
decej13 wrote:
northwood wrote:dont go to a school with the expectation of transferring out...

I'm not applying with the expectation of transferring out. All I'm saying is I'd appreciate the option if I realize I'm underachieving. Like I said, my credentials are better than the average CSOL student but there's almost no chance of me getting in to where I would love to end up (Duke, UNC, or Wake). I want to end up living and working in North Carolina, but with all the bashing of any school that is not Duke/UNC/Wake, it seems like I'm basically sh*t out of luck in terms of getting a job of I can't graduate from any of those.

Most students' credentials are better than the average CSOL student.

It's* pretty annoying how on this website nobody tries to answer any questions. Instead, people critique minute and trivial details of other peoples' posts.

*It is (this is formal writing).

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:30 pm

wiseowl wrote:I would check and make sure Wake would possibly accept you as a transfer before going any further.

I know Duke has taken in-state transfers (from Wake) in past years. I know UNC has a pretty strict policy that they do NOT accept transfers from other in-state schools. It's possible that's been somehow lifted, but who knows. Anyway, do your homework on that front.

I know a kid at wake who came from charlotte.

Sorry, another one of my many posts that doesn't answer anything.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 pm

As a general rule, none of the NC schools will accept transfers from other NC schools without a very compelling reason. Usually, this means a spouse getting transferred or something along those lines. There's always a chance that someone will slip through, but they're usually pretty strict about it.

joban224

Postby joban224 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm posting just to give you some perspective and to shoot down all the uninformed speculation. I transferred from Charlotte to a top 50 school and was accepted to 2 others in the top 100. I was in the top 14% of the class. Two of my friends also transferred to top 100 schools. This was before they got fully accredited. Transferring is very real. Do well and it can happen.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 am

joban224 wrote:I'm posting just to give you some perspective and to shoot down all the uninformed speculation. I transferred from Charlotte to a top 50 school and was accepted to 2 others in the top 100. I was in the top 14% of the class. Two of my friends also transferred to top 100 schools. This was before they got fully accredited. Transferring is very real. Do well and it can happen.

Or retake the lsat, and pay half as much to go to a t50 school.

Getting a 164/5 on lsat is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than getting in the top 14%.

LSAT Score= a completely objective score. You know exactly what is coming and you can study in such a way that you know that every minute you spend will increase your grade.

Law School score= although objective, a high amount of subjectivity. Gauranteed that some of your time will be waisted. You cannot even be sure you are studying the right stuff or that what you are studying is right.

As a 2L, I can look back on 1st semester of 1L, in which I got top 20%, and say, objectively: I cannot imagine how studying anymore would have gotten me any higher. In some classes, I was just not studying the right way. There was no way I could have known this, and little I could have done to correct it.

Looking back at the Lsat, I KNOW FOR SURE that I could have done better- I did not ace the logic game and these are extremely learnable.

TL;DR : Doing good on the lsat saves you more $ and has a higher chance of sucess then trying to ace your first year and then transferring.

P.S.:
don't do good on lsat: retake.
Dont do good in first year (at bad school from which you are trying to transfer): FUUUUUCKED.

P.P.S: Hey decej13, another one of my useless posts where all I do is criticize.

decej13

Postby decej13 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am

Or retake the lsat, and pay half as much to go to a t50 school.

Getting a 164/5 on lsat is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than getting in the top 14%.

LSAT Score= a completely objective score. You know exactly what is coming and you can study in such a way that you know that every minute you spend will increase your grade.

Law School score= although objective, a high amount of subjectivity. Gauranteed that some of your time will be waisted. You cannot even be sure you are studying the right stuff or that what you are studying is right.

P.P.S: Hey decej13, another one of my useless posts where all I do is criticize.[/quote]

This one is for you, my friend...

Wasted*

Come on, that's first grade right there and you're supposed to be in law school? See how annoying this is?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 am

decej13 wrote:Or retake the lsat, and pay half as much to go to a t50 school.

P.P.S: Hey decej13, another one of my useless posts where all I do is criticize.

Wasted*

Come on, that's first grade right there and you're supposed to be in law school? See how annoying this is?

I dunno, I think 1st grade is pushing it. I'd say waisted v wasted is more 4th-5th grade. I mean 1st grade? 1st graders only learned to write a couple of years ago. I doubt they can make such a fine distinction.

P.S.: Way to make a useless comment that criticizes and is in no way constructive.

P.P.S I'm not "supposed to be" in law school; I *am* in law school.

joban224

Postby joban224 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Wasted*

Come on, that's first grade right there and you're supposed to be in law school? See how annoying this is?[/quote]

Your LSAT will not realistically skyrocket to a 165 for you to go to a top 50 school if your scores are floating around what it takes to get into Charlotte. It just doesn't happen, people's scores hardly ever move more than 5 to 6 points. And being in the top 15% is not elusive at all if you exercise the correct judgment in your studying. If you want to go to Charlotte to start you should go, but if you want to transfer, just make sure you kick ass...that's the moral of the story.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:35 pm

joban224 wrote:

Wasted*

Your LSAT will not realistically skyrocket to a 165 for you to go to a top 50 school if your scores are floating around what it takes to get into Charlotte. It just doesn't happen, people's scores hardly ever move more than 5 to 6 points. And being in the top 15% is not elusive at all if you exercise the correct judgment in your studying. If you want to go to Charlotte to start you should go, but if you want to transfer, just make sure you kick ass...that's the moral of the story.

LSAT Cold: 147. Lsat on day of test: 165.

Also, your scores are not "floating around" what it takes to get INTO charlotte; that makes it sound like an accomplishment. Your scores are so low only charlotte will take you.

I'm not trying to be a douche (i dont have to try; i just am). I don't think that anyone who can't get at least 160 is stupid- all. IMO, anyone who didn't get 160 or higher didn't study hard enough.

Are you really going to tell me that you busted your ass for months, took classes, bough prep materials and took the test 4 times in 5 years and you still couldn't get above charlotte range?

I seriously doubt it.

lamzygrl

Postby lamzygrl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:47 am

twairlines wrote:Still time to apply?...or did I miss the boat?

I can't tell who's serious and who isn't on a lot of this site from what I've seen but if your question was serious, YES, you still have time to apply. They'll take applications for the Spring 2012 term up until January 18th I believe (which is orientation).

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 am

lamzygrl wrote:

I can't tell who's serious and who isn't on a lot of this site from what I've seen but if your question was serious, YES, you still have time to apply. They'll take applications for the Spring 2012 term up until January 18th I believe (which is orientation).

O HAI person who works at charlotte who made an account to sucker people in.
How do you sleep at night?

lamzygrl

Postby lamzygrl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:16 am

So I’m curious as to where the actual sources of all the negative information about CSL came from? I haven’t seen a single link to back up any claims made on here.

Is CSL the best law school around? Nope. Is CSL a good option for someone who doesn’t intend to compete for jobs with prestigious law firms that expect you to kill yourself billing 2,400 + hours per year while breathing down your neck? YUP! Some of us intend to go into solo practice or small firms and under those circumstances, which school you graduate from bears little impact. I’ve been a paralegal for 14 years and my dad went to Columbia Law. He’s in private practice and carved out a good niche because of HIS reputation, not the school he went to.

As someone stated in a post earlier: someone may not have gone to an ivy league law school but never underestimate your opponent. As for the comment I saw about procedure trumping everything else – WRONG. That’s how it’s supposed to be but in reality it depends on the judge, area of the country, the case matter and 800 other little factors. I’ve seen slam dunk cases get denied based on nothing more than a judge disliking an attorney or a client.

It’s up to you to get as much out of your education as you can regardless of where you go to school. If you can show you’ve succeeded academically and have been involved in law reviews, mock trials, etc., you’ll be fine.

FYI – for those of you who don’t know this already, law school is just the beginning. You have to maintain liability coverage (average $3,000 per year), pay bar dues annually for each state you’re admitted to, take approximately 5 CLE’s per year (cost generally begins at $250 and can exceed $2,000 if it’s a weekend seminar). You’re looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 per year just to practice.

lamzygrl

Postby lamzygrl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
lamzygrl wrote:

Wow, really? I don't work for CSL, I work for a law firm, but continue showing your ignorance and paranoia...it's so refreshing.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 am

lamzygrl wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
lamzygrl wrote:

Wow, really? I don't work for CSL, I work for a law firm, but continue showing your ignorance and paranoia...it's so refreshing.

If you do not work for CSL, then I am going to say perspective student/current student.

Either way, just stop.

lamzygrl

Postby lamzygrl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:37 pm

If you do not work for CSL, then I am going to say perspective student/current student.

Either way, just stop.[/quote]

I really don't care about your opinion and that's all you've been giving throughout this site. The only information I care about is from actual students at the school because they're the only people who can give accurate accounts of what to expect based on experience - not speculation.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:29 pm

lamzygrl wrote:I really don't care about your opinion and that's all you've been giving throughout this site. The only information I care about is from actual students at the school because they're the only people who can give accurate accounts of what to expect based on experience - not speculation.

Go for it. But know that Charlotte was hit pretty hard by the recession, and you're (at best) fourth in the pecking order (behind Duke, UNC, Wake) coming out of CSL. And with tuition at $35k/year, you better get some monster scholarship.

Also: --LinkRemoved--

It sounds like you might be able to get a job through your dad, which may make this decision much more palatable. But if that doesn't work, don't assume you can just jump into some smaller firm (hint: ITE, even small firms can be picky) or go solo (hint: lots of unemployed grads consider/attempt going solo, but there's only so much business available in the legal market).

Otherwise, survival of the fittest. Maybe you'll succeed coming out of CSL. All else equal, the numbers say you won't. But if you take the gamble after reading through this thread, then whatever happens is completely on your shoulders. So don't come running to TLS/JDU if/when things don't work out.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:51 pm

lamzygrl wrote:I really don't care about your opinion and that's all you've been giving throughout this site. The only information I care about is from actual students at the school because they're the only people who can give accurate accounts of what to expect based on experience - not speculation.

Think about what you say for > 2 seconds before you say it.

Angus MacGyver

Postby Angus MacGyver » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:07 pm

lamzygrl wrote:If you do not work for CSL, then I am going to say perspective student/current student.

Either way, just stop.

I really don't care about your opinion and that's all you've been giving throughout this site. The only information I care about is from actual students at the school because they're the only people who can give accurate accounts of what to expect based on experience - not speculation.

Well, many students are isolated. They have no idea what it's like at other schools.

Take advantage of everything the school has to provide in terms of recruiting. Speak to admissions and ask lots of tough questions. Talk to the career services people. Sit in on a class. Talk to a professor. Do the same at other schools.

It's a buyers market for law schools right now and law school brochures don't provide a full picture. Multiple law schools are getting sued for fraud because of the statistics they published.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:04 pm

beachbum wrote:

Go for it. But know that Charlotte was hit pretty hard by the recession, and you're (at best) fourth in the pecking order (behind Duke, UNC, Wake) coming out of CSL. And with tuition at $35k/year, you better get some monster scholarship.

Try 6th at best...Campbell's clearly the 4th option in NC (move to Raleigh definitely paid off), while NCCU has an alumni base AND is only 8k/year. Charlotte and Elon are ridiculous choices unless you already have a job lined up and just need a degree.

Seriously, if you can get into Charlotte, you should be able to get into NCCU. Your job prospects will be the same or better, and tuition is 27k cheaper. Unless you're that dead set on living in Charlotte instead of the triangle for 3 years...it's a no brainer.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 pm

To put this in perspective: we're sitting here talking about what schools are the 5th, 6th, and 7th best.

NC has roughly the same population as New York City. Know what the 7th best law school in NYC is? CUNY. At a whopping 121.

And that doesn't even include all the other schools outside of the city that feed into it.

There is no reason to go to Charlotte School of Law unless you are guaranteed a job - as in, your father is a name partner of a law firm with no anti-nepotism policy AND you have basically a full ride.

If you want to see me telling you this as me being a meanie and trampling on your dreams, so be it.

lamzygrl

Postby lamzygrl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:01 am

wiseowl wrote:To put this in perspective: we're sitting here talking about what schools are the 5th, 6th, and 7th best.

NC has roughly the same population as New York City. Know what the 7th best law school in NYC is? CUNY. At a whopping 121.

And that doesn't even include all the other schools outside of the city that feed into it.

There is no reason to go to Charlotte School of Law unless you are guaranteed a job - as in, your father is a name partner of a law firm with no anti-nepotism policy AND you have basically a full ride.

If you want to see me telling you this as me being a meanie and trampling on your dreams, so be it.

Unlike a lot of people who jump into law school based only upon statistics and articles they read, I actually had a plan in place before applying so I'm not worried. I realize that doesn't help the majority of people who are already in a tough spot but that's my point - this is no longer a field you can or should enter into without having a concrete plan for employment when you finish. There was a girl who sat next to me in the LSAT who hadn't studied for it, hadn't researched any law schools, had no idea what was even considered a good enough score to get into any particular school. That's someone who has no plan and I guarantee is oblivious to employment issues she may face.

I'm fortunate - I've spent a lot of years in the same region and have been able to form solid connections through work, family and friends. As for nepotism - there really is none because there's no competition for a position with my dad's practice. He's a solo practitioner who wants to retire in the next 5 years or so and always planned to pass the practice on to me. I realize not everyone has that opportunity but someone who DOES would be a fool to turn it down. CSL is perfectly fine for someone in my position. If I get scholarships, great - if not, I have a plan in place for paying down my loans when I graduate. I'm not saying CSL is for everyone - I'm saying it's a good option for certain people depending upon their circumstances.

People thinking about going to law school need to think about the fact that the reason it's tough for many to find jobs is because they have no experience in the field other than internships prior to graduating. Firms filling positions will be more likely to hire someone who excelled in law school AND already has a working knowledge of procedure and document drafting, or they at least have a solid background in a specialized field that relates to an area of law (ex: environmental, aviation, etc.). That translates into someone who can hit the ground running and firms only care about 1 thing - their bottom line. If you can earn money for them out of the gate rather than having to be trained, you're more valuable.

Another thing people need to consider is the area of law they want to practice. There is MUCH more competition for jobs in particular areas than in others so of course finding a job would be tougher in litigation, personal injury, family law, corporate law, etc. There are also options besides practicing law that the degree can be used for which people don't think about. If someone is good at research and writing briefs, firms will hire independent attorneys who specialize in that JUST for that purpose. You have to get creative people!

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 pm

lamzygrl wrote:
wiseowl wrote:To put this in perspective: we're sitting here talking about what schools are the 5th, 6th, and 7th best.

Unlike a lot of people who jump into law school based only upon statistics and articles they read, I actually had a plan in place before applying so I'm not worried. I realize that doesn't help the majority of people who are already in a tough spot but that's my point - this is no longer a field you can or should enter into without having a concrete plan for employment when you finish. There was a girl who sat next to me in the LSAT who hadn't studied for it, hadn't researched any law schools, had no idea what was even considered a good enough score to get into any particular school. That's someone who has no plan and I guarantee is oblivious to employment issues she may face.

I'm fortunate - I've spent a lot of years in the same region and have been able to form solid connections through work, family and friends. As for nepotism - there really is none because there's no competition for a position with my dad's practice. He's a solo practitioner who wants to retire in the next 5 years or so and always planned to pass the practice on to me. I realize not everyone has that opportunity but someone who DOES would be a fool to turn it down. CSL is perfectly fine for someone in my position. If I get scholarships, great - if not, I have a plan in place for paying down my loans when I graduate. I'm not saying CSL is for everyone - I'm saying it's a good option for certain people depending upon their circumstances.

People thinking about going to law school need to think about the fact that the reason it's tough for many to find jobs is because they have no experience in the field other than internships prior to graduating. Firms filling positions will be more likely to hire someone who excelled in law school AND already has a working knowledge of procedure and document drafting, or they at least have a solid background in a specialized field that relates to an area of law (ex: environmental, aviation, etc.). That translates into someone who can hit the ground running and firms only care about 1 thing - their bottom line. If you can earn money for them out of the gate rather than having to be trained, you're more valuable.

Another thing people need to consider is the area of law they want to practice. There is MUCH more competition for jobs in particular areas than in others so of course finding a job would be tougher in litigation, personal injury, family law, corporate law, etc. There are also options besides practicing law that the degree can be used for which people don't think about. If someone is good at research and writing briefs, firms will hire independent attorneys who specialize in that JUST for that purpose. You have to get creative people!

Going to a low ranked school with knowledge that you have a job lined up is perfectly fine. No one can fault you for your choice to attend CSOL (though raising your LSAT to get a better scholarship or admission to a better school won't hurt). However, the vast majority of CSOL students won't have a job lined up. Very few students at any school have the luxury you do. Attending a low ranked school is generally a bad idea. Like in your case, however, there are exceptions.

marvkm1

Postby marvkm1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:51 pm

A bit of advice/words to consider when making your decision...

I graduated from CSL in May. I can speak for myself and say that I am employed. My job pays a modest 50k salary, the hours are wonderful (35 a week), the benefits are exceptional, and the people I work with are great. Is it my dream job- NO. Did I hope to make more as a law graduate- absolutely. Do I regret attending CSL- no. Would I have attended another school if my personal circumstances had allowed it- yes.

Many of my friends are also employed. They have been hired by small to medium sized firms, Jag Corps, corporations, etc. Several others are practicing on their own- and say they are doing well. Still others are working in jobs they had secured prior to attending school.

Full Disclosure- I was in the top tier of my class and for the most part, the people I am referencing were also in this tier. They worked hard throughout their time at the school and it paid off. Additionally, it is important to note that a majority of those employed (based on my knowledge) obtained employment from places where they had internships and externships.

Thus, in my opinion, if you can work extremely hard, participate in moot court/law review/trial team, seize every internship/externship opportunity you can, etc... then going to CSL is not a bad choice. It will still be a difficult, uphill battle to compete with peers who attended higher ranked schools. BUT- being able to build relationships in the Charlotte area throughout the year does give you an edge over other schools. All other factors the same- will it beat out a Harvard edge... not likely. Will it beat a Campbell edge-probably.

You should know that the top 10 percent of students are very competitive, academically successful, and high achieving. It will be VERY hard for the average student to break into this group. These students usually could have attended a MUCH higher ranked school but for personal reasons chose to attend CSL as opposed to a different school. I am saying this, because, the average student should not think it will be easy to attend CSL, crack the top 10, and then transfer to a different school.

Many other students I graduated with are doing document review and/or are still looking for jobs. Generally these students (again, my opinion only) did not perform as well, were ranked lower in the graduating class, did not have as prestigious externships/internships, were not involved in as many well-respected extra-curriculars, etc. There are exceptions to this rule- of course.

bessmarvin89

Postby bessmarvin89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 pm

EmilyC. wrote:I'm trying to go to law school debt free and with what I've been offered it's totally possible to do at Charlotte. Provisionally accredited are still scary though.

I just got offered a full ride, books scholarship and $2000 in moving expenses. Not doing it. its TOOOOOO risky !

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”