Charlotte School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DeeCee

Re: Charlotte School of Law

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 pm

dtown16 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:As others have mentioned, read the stipulations on your scholarship very carefully. Chances are you have to be top third or something to keep it and there's a good chance they'll stack all the scholarship holders in the same section competing against each other so it's impossible for everyone to keep them.

Charlotte is a for profit law school. Meaning they exist to make a profit. Off of you.

Good call, I'll check out the scholarship stipulations. Aside from that, assuming I will be debt free, would it still be a bad idea to go?

Yes. My opinion though. It is the least respected law school in NC and you will likely have a hard time finding a law-related job whether you are debt free or not.

dtown16

Postby dtown16 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
dtown16 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:As others have mentioned, read the stipulations on your scholarship very carefully. Chances are you have to be top third or something to keep it and there's a good chance they'll stack all the scholarship holders in the same section competing against each other so it's impossible for everyone to keep them.

Charlotte is a for profit law school. Meaning they exist to make a profit. Off of you.

Good call, I'll check out the scholarship stipulations. Aside from that, assuming I will be debt free, would it still be a bad idea to go?

Yes. My opinion though. It is the least respected law school in NC and you will likely have a hard time finding a law-related job whether you are debt free or not.

I am trying to get a JD to compliment my MBA, I am not planning on practicing law, and I am going to be working in TX. I really don't want to sit out a year, and I didn't get in anywhere else, so I figure this would be good enough. However, after reading this thread, I am not sure if it will adequately prepare me to pass the bar...

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:55 pm

dtown16 wrote:

I mean if you gotta go, you gotta go, but my advice is definitely to retake the LSAT and try again next year. I hate to drag Charlotte through the mud and in all honesty I know little about them, but there is no reason to pay tuition that high for such a tiny chance at success. If you're from Texas, why don't you wait for that new school in Dallas?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:03 pm

dtown16 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
dtown16 wrote:

I am trying to get a JD to compliment my MBA, I am not planning on practicing law, and I am going to be working in TX. I really don't want to sit out a year, and I didn't get in anywhere else, so I figure this would be good enough. However, after reading this thread, I am not sure if it will adequately prepare me to pass the bar...

I think coming to NC and attending Charlotte for three years, only to go back to TX is a bad move. Charlotte ranks right there with Ave Maria and Florida Coastal, which are some of the worst schools in the nation. I too have a grad degree, but law school is not like grad school in that a degree is a degree. I had to learn this too. You should attend a school in TX in order to make connections where you want to live. I am sorry to say this but Charlotte is a very bad choice, reputation-wise, location-wise, and I'm not familiar with the bar (yet) but going to a NC school that has no reach whatsoever to TX seems counter-intuitive, especially if you want to take the TX bar. There are LOTS of schools in TX......you should attend any of those before you attend Charlotte, you'll help yourself so much by doing this.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:38 am

dtown16 wrote:I am trying to get a JD to compliment my MBA, I am not planning on practicing law, and I am going to be working in TX. I really don't want to sit out a year, and I didn't get in anywhere else, so I figure this would be good enough. However, after reading this thread, I am not sure if it will adequately prepare me to pass the bar...

IMO since you have no desire to pass the bar, and need a JD only to get a promostion at your current place of work, i would go to a school that offers a PT program that is located near your work. That way you can still work at your job, and if things change for the worse in the future, you can drop out ( unless you change your mind about the JD) and continue to work there. Or if you cant get into a pt program ( or one isnt near your current place of work) you can go to law school as an instate resident. Dont move cross country with all intentions of moving back, especially at charlotte school of law.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 pm

rman1201 wrote:
atashakor wrote:allright you win
I guess the people who will graduate this year, will just have to dig their own grave, cuz its the end of the world.

--LinkRemoved--

These schools are no joke, they really do ruin lives.

Wow - even if the JDU post is a flame, that was an excellent (and depressing) read.

boing

Postby boing » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:31 pm

looks to me that is a bogus link to some blogs you set up to run on somebody's computer, like hacked into it or something and posted a bunch of stuff. Yes I believe that is it. I recommend you all seek counsel.

boing

Postby boing » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 pm

violation of civil rights big time...egregious...malicious...intentional...and harmful to whoever's computer you hacked into to stage this charade.

jjman

Postby jjman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 pm

Despite what you'll read on here, schools like Charlotte work for many students. It's a second career for me, and I'm attending Charlotte with a small scholarship. It's close to home, and they seem to be working hard on making local contacts. But of course, the local big firms still want the top %10. I think the last stats they released showed 90+ % employment with JD preferred and 60 % JD required jobs. The average salary was around 50K with the high being around 90K I think. Makes no difference to me, because I'm going solo. 100K degree, for a business venture is nothing kids. My house payment is 2000K a month for 30, and it just keeps rolling in. You get used to it. It's really not that "crushing" It depends on what you're willing to do. One thing is for sure, law school and the practice of law takes balls, so start growing some or get out. Do you want to go out and do court appointed work? are you willing to live/work where you won't have to compete with public defenders offices? Many rural areas aren't saturated. The big firms are where the most unhappy lawyers are, and big surprise they are mostly from the top schools. Just scroll around these forums, the negativity is rampant and these kids aren't even started yet! There is nothing quite like arguing a well prepared case and changing someone's life as a result. It's a powerful thing, and an honor. That's what this career is about, not the money. There is too much drudgery involved to do it for the money alone.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 pm

jjman wrote:Despite what you'll read on here, schools like Charlotte work for many students. It's a second career for me, and I'm attending Charlotte with a small scholarship. It's close to home, and they seem to be working hard on making local contacts. But of course, the local big firms still want the top %10. I think the last stats they released showed 90+ % employment with JD preferred and 60 % JD required jobs. The average salary was around 50K with the high being around 90K I think. Makes no difference to me, because I'm going solo. 100K degree, for a business venture is nothing kids. My house payment is 2000K a month for 30, and it just keeps rolling in. You get used to it. It's really not that "crushing" It depends on what you're willing to do. One thing is for sure, law school and the practice of law takes balls, so start growing some or get out. Do you want to go out and do court appointed work? are you willing to live/work where you won't have to compete with public defenders offices? Many rural areas aren't saturated. The big firms are where the most unhappy lawyers are, and big surprise they are mostly from the top schools. Just scroll around these forums, the negativity is rampant and these kids aren't even started yet! There is nothing quite like arguing a well prepared case and changing someone's life as a result. It's a powerful thing, and an honor. That's what this career is about, not the money. There is too much drudgery involved to do it for the money alone.

If you can repeat this post in 5 years with the same level of optimism, enthusiasm, and determination, then I will concede my argument.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 am

jjman wrote:I think the last stats they released showed 90+ % employment with JD preferred and 60 % JD required jobs.

Yeah because I really want to invest thousands into an unranked or tier 4 law program so that I can have a high chance of picking up a JD preferred job, aka doc review. :roll:

beachbum wrote:If you can repeat this post in 5 years with the same level of optimism, enthusiasm, and determination, then I will concede my argument.

+1 beachbum. Aren't you a Dookie now? :wink:
Good luck, but remember the best thing about Duke is that it's 15 minutes away from CH! lol, just kidding kind of

jjman

Postby jjman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:03 am

beachbum wrote:
jjman wrote:Despite what you'll read on here, schools like Charlotte work for many students. It's a second career for me, and I'm attending Charlotte with a small scholarship. It's close to home, and they seem to be working hard on making local contacts. But of course, the local big firms still want the top %10. I think the last stats they released showed 90+ % employment with JD preferred and 60 % JD required jobs. The average salary was around 50K with the high being around 90K I think. Makes no difference to me, because I'm going solo. 100K degree, for a business venture is nothing kids. My house payment is 2000K a month for 30, and it just keeps rolling in. You get used to it. It's really not that "crushing" It depends on what you're willing to do. One thing is for sure, law school and the practice of law takes balls, so start growing some or get out. Do you want to go out and do court appointed work? are you willing to live/work where you won't have to compete with public defenders offices? Many rural areas aren't saturated. The big firms are where the most unhappy lawyers are, and big surprise they are mostly from the top schools. Just scroll around these forums, the negativity is rampant and these kids aren't even started yet! There is nothing quite like arguing a well prepared case and changing someone's life as a result. It's a powerful thing, and an honor. That's what this career is about, not the money. There is too much drudgery involved to do it for the money alone.

If you can repeat this post in 5 years with the same level of optimism, enthusiasm, and determination, then I will concede my argument.

Well, if I don't repeat it then I'll probably be pretty miserable and I'll concede my argument! I will say this: My first civ pro prof. was not a tls graduate. Sure I've had the profs from Duke,Yale, NW, etc. but this dude was from WVU. He dedicated his career primarily it seemed to civil litigation practice representing people who needed help. He even told a story about representing a guy who lived in a cave. When we studied summary judgement, as you all will, we looked at the Adickes case. He did a slide show about Sandra Adickes and how important her work was to her in helping the black student in miss. in 1964. This dude was passionate and probably the most positive prof. i've had yet. That was what inspired me the most my first semester. Not the ones that had the "big firm" experience and the better name brand degrees. All I'm saying is, by all means go to Duke or whereever if you're in and if it fits your plan. But don't knock the lower end schools because they are putting out graduates that want to practice law and change things for the better. All law practice is going to be hard and stressful, and you are always going to be arguing (usually) against people who are just about as smart as you are. Don't ever be stupid enough to look at their law school and assume you've got this one in the bag because they aren't as sharp as you. In many cases, even if they have a low LSAT or weaker jd pedigree they may just have a God given gift of speaking prescense that judges and juries love. Hell, they may win because they are just plain better looking than you! Harvard can't fix ugly! LOL By the way young guys, get a tailored italian suit whether you can afford it or not. Women cannot resist it. There was that superficial enough for you! I gotta go study for finals, good luck to all!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:56 pm

jjman wrote: Harvard can't fix ugly!

MEME OF THE YEAR ?!?!?!?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:13 pm

jjman wrote:All I'm saying is, by all means go to Duke or whereever if you're in and if it fits your plan. But don't knock the lower end schools because they are putting out graduates that want to practice law and change things for the better. All law practice is going to be hard and stressful, and you are always going to be arguing (usually) against people who are just about as smart as you are. Don't ever be stupid enough to look at their law school and assume you've got this one in the bag because they aren't as sharp as you. In many cases, even if they have a low LSAT or weaker jd pedigree they may just have a God given gift of speaking prescense that judges and juries love. Hell, they may win because they are just plain better looking than you! Harvard can't fix ugly! LOL By the way young guys, get a tailored italian suit whether you can afford it or not. Women cannot resist it. There was that superficial enough for you! I gotta go study for finals, good luck to all!

a) I'm not knocking lower-ranked schools because of any perceived lack of quality (although I do believe that top-ranked students are, on average, more intelligent than T4 students). I'm knocking lower-ranked schools because their grads can't get jobs, they lie about employment stats to sucker ignorant 0Ls, and they're known for several practices which disadvantage and cheat their students (i.e. section-stacking).

b) You can be the most gifted speaker in the world, and you can possess the unique ability to regularly best your friends and family members in arguments, but it won't mean shit if you don't know basic trial procedure.

c) Money, prestige, and intelligence fix most cases of ugly.

d) I am incredibly, ridiculously good-looking.

jjman

Postby jjman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:19 pm

beachbum wrote:
jjman wrote:All I'm saying is, by all means go to Duke or whereever if you're in and if it fits your plan. But don't knock the lower end schools because they are putting out graduates that want to practice law and change things for the better. All law practice is going to be hard and stressful, and you are always going to be arguing (usually) against people who are just about as smart as you are. Don't ever be stupid enough to look at their law school and assume you've got this one in the bag because they aren't as sharp as you. In many cases, even if they have a low LSAT or weaker jd pedigree they may just have a God given gift of speaking prescense that judges and juries love. Hell, they may win because they are just plain better looking than you! Harvard can't fix ugly! LOL By the way young guys, get a tailored italian suit whether you can afford it or not. Women cannot resist it. There was that superficial enough for you! I gotta go study for finals, good luck to all!

a) I'm not knocking lower-ranked schools because of any perceived lack of quality (although I do believe that top-ranked students are, on average, more intelligent than T4 students). I'm knocking lower-ranked schools because their grads can't get jobs, they lie about employment stats to sucker ignorant 0Ls, and they're known for several practices which disadvantage and cheat their students (i.e. section-stacking).

b) You can be the most gifted speaker in the world, and you can possess the unique ability to regularly best your friends and family members in arguments, but it won't mean shit if you don't know basic trial procedure.

c) Money, prestige, and intelligence fix most cases of ugly.

d) I am incredibly, ridiculously good-looking.

Procedure trumps substance every time, however, that moron should have never taken that case. At least not without bringing in an experienced trial lawyer. You won't find too many guys out 2 years handling 1st degree murder cases, or felonies period for that matter. Know your limits is all that is.

lovetolearn

Postby lovetolearn » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:29 am

CharlotteLaw Earns Full American Bar Association Accreditation - 6/17/11
http://www.charlottelaw.edu/mediacenter/article.aspx?ID=186

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm

atashakor wrote:
rad law wrote:
atashakor wrote:i have a few friends who didnt even apply but were emailed a waiver for app. fee, and they said wth, and applied.
all got accepted with full scholarship.
do they give everyone full scholarship?
i mean its free, so why not

1) scholarships almost assuredly have harsh stips that make them very easy to lose
2) it's not free; you have to pay cost of attendance
3) you don't have a good chance of getting a legal job

so your saying if they go and graduate, pass the bar, they will not get legal jobs? lol
The least they can get is government jobs, or even start their own firm.
I know they will not be getting a job at DLA Piper,

first 5 years is going to be tough for them, after that no body cares about which school you went to. (besides debt free).

I have a friend interning this summer at NC DOJ right now. According to the directory for summer 2011 that she has, the NC DOJ hired interns from schools such as Duke, Unc, wake forest, NYU, Harvard, Catholic, Washington & Lee, UVa, Vermont, Columbia, Michigan, Tulane as well as Cambell, Elon, NCCU, Liberty, Charleston.

So yeah, I'm sure those Charlotte grads will have no trouble scooping up those easy government jobs that no one else wants.

Toronto2

Postby Toronto2 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Sandro

Re: .

Postby Sandro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:57 am

Toronto2 wrote:.

Your first post is a period ? cool story, brah 8)

decej13

Postby decej13 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I have better credentials than the average student at CSOL, but am looking at the school mostly because it offers spring enrollment and I am trying to get out of my current living situation, and I am mostly sure I wont get in outright to any of Duke, UNC, or WF. I would like to try and transfer into Wake Forest after attending CSOL for a little. How realistic is a plan like that? I see a lot of bashing of the school on here, giving it very little if no clout whatsoever, so I'm starting to wonder if that's a viable plan for me now. Now that it's accredited and whatnot, if I do very well my first year or so at CSOL, will I have much of a problem transferring to any other better school?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:27 pm

dont go to a school with the expectation of transferring out.... most likely your entire grade will rest on how you do in 1 four hour class meeting.... how you perform then would decide if you can transfer out or not

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:32 pm

decej13 wrote:looking at the school mostly because it offers spring enrollment and I am trying to get out of my current living situation

This is the wrong reason to go to any school. I ended up putting off applications for almost 2 years to make sure I knew what I was getting into and knew where I wanted to be.

northwood wrote:dont go to a school with the expectation of transferring out

TCR. The best advice I got on this site was that I better be happy at median where I decided to go, and it better be a school I would want to graduate from.

decej13

Postby decej13 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:48 pm

northwood wrote:dont go to a school with the expectation of transferring out...

I'm not applying with the expectation of transferring out. All I'm saying is I'd appreciate the option if I realize I'm underachieving. Like I said, my credentials are better than the average CSOL student but there's almost no chance of me getting in to where I would love to end up (Duke, UNC, or Wake). I want to end up living and working in North Carolina, but with all the bashing of any school that is not Duke/UNC/Wake, it seems like I'm basically sh*t out of luck in terms of getting a job of I can't graduate from any of those.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:17 am

decej13 wrote:

I'm not applying with the expectation of transferring out. All I'm saying is I'd appreciate the option if I realize I'm underachieving. Like I said, my credentials are better than the average CSOL student but there's almost no chance of me getting in to where I would love to end up (Duke, UNC, or Wake). I want to end up living and working in North Carolina, but with all the bashing of any school that is not Duke/UNC/Wake, it seems like I'm basically sh*t out of luck in terms of getting a job of I can't graduate from any of those.

Most students' credentials are better than the average CSOL student.

decej13

Postby decej13 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
decej13 wrote:

Most students' credentials are better than the average CSOL student.

It's pretty annoying how on this website nobody tries to answer any questions. Instead, people critique minute and trivial details of other peoples' posts.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”