Charlotte School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Philosopher King

Bronze

Re: Charlotte School of Law

Post by Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:21 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
EmilyC. wrote:I'm trying to go to law school debt free and with what I've been offered it's totally possible to do at Charlotte. Provisionally accredited are still scary though.
I just got offered a full ride, books scholarship and $2000 in moving expenses. Not doing it. its TOOOOOO risky !
What was your LSAT? They offered me at least $31,000 scholarships.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:52 pm

This school is trolling for December 2011 LSAT grads who already have college degrees, offering them scholarship and moving expenses money to enroll this month. So if you just took the LSAT and would like to start law school nine days from now you can almost certainly do so at Charlotte Law School, if you already have your undergrad degree.

freakingout-here

New

Post by freakingout-here » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:28 pm

I have heard from Charlotte for fall 2012 and they came to me with a full scholarship.

My situation is a little different, in that I am presently a lobbyist and am using the degree to advance in the firm which already employs me - in other words, I have my job lined up.

For that reason, and the fact that I just can't justify going into debt for a higher ranked school when this one is virtually free, I am probably going to say yes. We will see how it goes.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:15 pm

freakingout-here wrote:I have heard from Charlotte for fall 2012 and they came to me with a full scholarship.

My situation is a little different, in that I am presently a lobbyist and am using the degree to advance in the firm which already employs me - in other words, I have my job lined up.

For that reason, and the fact that I just can't justify going into debt for a higher ranked school when this one is virtually free, I am probably going to say yes. We will see how it goes.
Check the fine print on that scholarship. Make sure you won't lose it after first semester or first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freakingout-here

New

Post by freakingout-here » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 am

wiseowl wrote:
freakingout-here wrote:I have heard from Charlotte for fall 2012 and they came to me with a full scholarship.

Check the fine print on that scholarship. Make sure you won't lose it after first semester or first year.
I have to keep a 3.0. I got a decent scholarship offer from John Marshall, but I have to finish in the top 40% to keep it each year. It seems the 3.0 gpa standard is clearer, and its a full ride, so it makes sense.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:48 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:16 am

rad lulz wrote:
freakingout-here wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

I have to keep a 3.0. I got a decent scholarship offer from John Marshall, but I have to finish in the top 40% to keep it each year. It seems the 3.0 gpa standard is clearer, and its a full ride, so it makes sense.
3.0 may be above the median depending on what the curve is there. Better ask the school brah.
1st year grade distribution, 3.0=B
15% A, A-
25% B+ B
35% B-, C+
15% C, C-
10% D or lower

So...combine that with section stacking (which as a FOR PROFIT LAW SCHOOL, surely happens), and you're looking a decent chance at losing your scholarship. It's certainly no better than John Marshall's requirement.

yankeehistorian212

New

Post by yankeehistorian212 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 am

Well, if I don't repeat it then I'll probably be pretty miserable and I'll concede my argument! I will say this: My first civ pro prof. was not a tls graduate. Sure I've had the profs from Duke,Yale, NW, etc. but this dude was from WVU. He dedicated his career primarily it seemed to civil litigation practice representing people who needed help. He even told a story about representing a guy who lived in a cave. When we studied summary judgement, as you all will, we looked at the Adickes case. He did a slide show about Sandra Adickes and how important her work was to her in helping the black student in miss. in 1964. This dude was passionate and probably the most positive prof. i've had yet. That was what inspired me the most my first semester. Not the ones that had the "big firm" experience and the better name brand degrees. All I'm saying is, by all means go to Duke or whereever if you're in and if it fits your plan. But don't knock the lower end schools because they are putting out graduates that want to practice law and change things for the better. All law practice is going to be hard and stressful, and you are always going to be arguing (usually) against people who are just about as smart as you are. Don't ever be stupid enough to look at their law school and assume you've got this one in the bag because they aren't as sharp as you. In many cases, even if they have a low LSAT or weaker jd pedigree they may just have a God given gift of speaking prescense that judges and juries love. Hell, they may win because they are just plain better looking than you! Harvard can't fix ugly! LOL By the way young guys, get a tailored italian suit whether you can afford it or not. Women cannot resist it. There was that superficial enough for you! I gotta go study for finals, good luck to all![/quote]

----------------------

I have had that professor, and if you're wise enough not to judge the book by its cover (his appearance), you will find that he is brilliant. If you can't cut it with him, and learn civ pro in the process, then there is not much hope for you.

The professors themselves are good to great at that school, I will say that much. But you have to wonder about the trade off as relates to the debt load; particularly when you cannot work (substantial enough to not be worried about living expenses 24/7), and aren't likely to land anything worthwhile pay-wise when you finish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”