NYU 1L: Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NYU2011

New

Re: NYU 1L: Taking Questions

Post by NYU2011 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:44 pm

at this point in the semester i have tons of free time. we haven't had lawyering for 2 weeks so we basically have one class a day, reading for the week (which i could finish over the weekend if i had the discipline) and that's it. i'm sure lawyering will pick up again soon and obviously in the month or two before finals, your free time is spent studying.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm

NYU2011 wrote:at this point in the semester i have tons of free time. we haven't had lawyering for 2 weeks so we basically have one class a day, reading for the week (which i could finish over the weekend if i had the discipline) and that's it. i'm sure lawyering will pick up again soon and obviously in the month or two before finals, your free time is spent studying.
This sounds about right, though right now I'm killing a lot of time interviewing and o/w hustling for summer employment.

carter17

New

Post by carter17 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:35 pm

very helpful, thanks!

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:35 pm

How difficult is it to find a job in Chicago as an NYU grad? I am not certain I will want to move back to Chicago, but in case I do, I want to know that it is an option. Also, will I be at a significant disadvantage Chicago and Northwestern grads as far as networking, since I'm sure most of the partners at top Chicago firms come out of the Chicago-area schools. (I noticed that like 1% of NYU alums go to IL, so not very many.)

NakaNaka

New

Post by NakaNaka » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:44 am

huckabees wrote:Sorry, I've been spamming threads with this question but haven't gotten a good response yet:

If I have a 45 minute to hour long commute to the campus, is that going to detract from my academic experience?

I.e., Would my grades/participation in study groups suffer? What about participation in journals or other clubs/activities?

This is assuming I'm not rich enough to take cabs back and forth whenever I need to; I would probably commute by subway or bus, so leaving the campus very late at night would probably not be an option.

Thanks!
I live a 35-40 min commute and it's fine. I know plenty of people who commute 30 mins or more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:44 pm

Some technology questions...

I know a lot of people use Macs. How is the pre-configured version sold at the computer store? I think it's $1350 but the description isn't very, well, descriptive.

Also, how important is it to have your own printer if you live in the dorms? On the website, it says that we'll need it for take home exams because time is severely limited. I don't have one and don't really want to buy one if there is a computer lab in the dorm...

uclabruins

New

Post by uclabruins » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Sobriquet wrote:Also, how important is it to have your own printer if you live in the dorms? On the website, it says that we'll need it for take home exams because time is severely limited. I don't have one and don't really want to buy one if there is a computer lab in the dorm...
Not sure about Mercer, but I saw on the website that there's a computer lab in D'ag with free printing. Law library also has free printing.

NYU2011

New

Post by NYU2011 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Mercer has free printing too. Haven't had a take home test so I'm not sure about the printing situation there.

carter17

New

Post by carter17 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:58 pm

How difficult is it for a non-native nyer to find a roommate using the NYU Law School apartment boards and the email chain? I am very interested in the prospect of finding a nice 2BR in East Village or nearby with a split less than $1500. How important is timing? I need to move to NYC by early June, so it is necessary for me to locate housing immediately. Ideally, I would like to find a roommate and sublet their portion of the apartment until they arrive. Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carter17

New

Post by carter17 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:15 pm

bump

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Printing is free all over, and a blessing.

halfpancake

New

Post by halfpancake » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:30 pm

How did you choose NYU over peer schools?

uclabruins

New

Post by uclabruins » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm

From last year's financial aid thread, it seems like NYU was giving some people who were awarded grants a deadline to enroll before the last ASW. Anybody know if we can extend the deposit deadline if we can only make the very last ASW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

m87

New

Post by m87 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:59 pm

I know you said you got a merit scholarship, but how is NYU with need-based aid? Do they give a fair amount of grants, or do most people wind up with monstrous loan debt?

Also, I know that as far as paying back loans, a lot of people say you shouldn't worry because you can usually get a big-law job or NYU has the loan repayment assistance for public service, but how intense are big-law jobs? Are they really 70 hours a week for as long as it takes to make partner? I'm worried that I'll come out of NYU with lots of debt and an awesome big-law job that takes up all my time, so I can't enjoy a family life. Do other people have the same concerns?

Thank you!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:50 am

who the heck knows but i've *heard* it can be more like 50-60 hrs/wk if you have no ambition of making partner, and ~80 if you're a super gunner after partner status and that big bonus
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Is there anything to help people who want to live off campus but in the area find roommates?

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

one of the most daunting things with respect to evaluating NYU has been housing. what do most people do for housing and how difficult is it to find? looking at Columbia, they guarantee housing and have many law-student only options whereas NYU seems more do it yourself.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYU2011

New

Post by NYU2011 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:42 pm

As far as I know housing is guaranteed for NYU 1Ls as well, if you apply before the deadline (sometime in May). I don't know anyone who wanted it and didn't get it. I think they told us about 2/3rds of 1Ls live in NYU housing, although I know so many people who don't that number seems a little high.

As far as finding a roommate, I know some people did in their year's facebook group. Also you can sign up for the law school mailing list (coases), lots of people advertise for roommates and apartments on there. Plus if you go the housing section of the law website, there's a roommate finder form, although I don't know how popular those are/how they work.

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:14 pm

question regarding classes: how many classes can be taken with the big name professors like Dworkin, Nagel, Waldron, etc..?
do they teach many? are they always closed up?

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:35 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Question about loans.... do we apply for loans after we get our award letter? Do they provide instructions/deadlines? I feel confused about this....

+1. They say you don't apply for loans till June in their financial aid information, but that just seems so long to wait. Even with deposits in I don't think it will sink in that I'm going there until i have all the money lined up.

NYU2011

New

Post by NYU2011 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:32 pm

I don't think I applied for loans until like late July (probably later than I should have, but I was fine). They are flexible for the due dates for tuition for 1Ls. If you need it for an apt or whatever, obviously doing it earlier is better, but I can't imagine June is too late. And yeah, they send you like a power point or something about how to do all your loan stuff if I remember correctly.

As for courses with big names: I'm not sure how hard they are to get into. 1Ls haven't had to register for anything yet, so I don't really know the procedure for doing so. NYU is also implementing a new way to register based on bidding but I'm not sure how it works exactly. You can look at past course schedules on the website to see how many courses they teach. I know each year a few "big names" teach 1L courses (Arthur Miller, Epstein, Isaacharoff)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ezpar

New

Post by ezpar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Olto wrote:Overall, I don't think commuting would detract from your experience, your grades, your ability to make friends, etc. at all.
So is this generally agreed upon? I'd definitely be living off campus (with SO) and probably wouldn't be very close to the Village. I'm concerned that my social life would be hampered by being so far away. I just visited UVA where that's not even a concern, so I'm concerned about how those living in, say, Brooklyn are able to "fit in."

Also, how are significant others treated? I'd like mine to become involved in my social life at law school, make friends with my friends (assuming I make them! haha), etc. Do people with SOs generally bring them along for nights out or whatever?

Is anyone ever overwhelmed by living in NYC? I know that there are plenty of parks all over the place, but what about when you just want to get away from all the hectic stuff going on?

Olto

New

Post by Olto » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:29 pm

hi Ezpar,

There really are a lot of students here that live off campus. As I either said in one of my prior posts or one of my PMs to someone on here, there are a few I can think of in my section that live in Brooklyn, others that live scattered throughout Manhattan, and some that, additionally, live with their wives / husbands / SOs. They all seem to be doing fine with regards to mixing in and socializing. Here's an example: My section just had a pot-luck party a few weeks ago, and there were, off the top of my head, three different couples (where one of the people is a non-law student) there. One of the students actually even commutes in from upstate NY (ie: Westchester area), where he lives with his GF (or maybe wife, I don't remember). They all seem to be doing fine. No one really thinks twice about it. There have been a few other times where I've met SOs, such as the Fall Ball, our end-of-the-semester party, SBA parties, section-mates birthday parties, etc. Also, on a more personal note, I've brought my GF with me a bunch of times and she gets along really well with my close buddies here and also the people I'm not as close with but still hang out with or see on a pretty regular basis now.

As for NYC getting crazy... well, I've been here for 4.5 years now. I still love every second of it. When I get tired of it, I just commute home. I'm sure you'll meet someone from the tri state area who would love to host you at their parents house for the weekend or holidays if you wanna just get away. Also, consider that in 2nd year there are lots of opportunities to get away from campus, some forced and some voluntary, between OCI, call backs, competitions, etc.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 pm

hey, thanks for taking questions. how are 1L summer job prospects looking for you and your classmates?

roguebear

New

Post by roguebear » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 pm

I know it was sort of asked earlier, but are there any NYU students around who are interested in IP? What has your experience been like? Do you feel like you can get good IP exposure at NYU?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”