Any USC students? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
norcalChk

New

Re: Any USC students?

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:47 pm

blbs wrote:
The California Bar website has some good statistics:

This shows that SF is USC's 7th largest market, but that only 2% of graduates end up there.
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

In San Francisco almost 20% of attorneys are from Hastings, while under a percent are from USC. For me at least this is data I find hard to ignore, despite how strongly I like USC.
These stats seem useful, but I think we should also keep in mind that the majority of USC students want to stay in LA and only a small percentage move to SF.

Also, it may be helpful to know that USC's career office is branching out into SF.

ocuviper

New

Post by ocuviper » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Thoughts on USC Housing?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:45 pm

norcalChk wrote:
blbs wrote:
The California Bar website has some good statistics:

This shows that SF is USC's 7th largest market, but that only 2% of graduates end up there.

In San Francisco almost 20% of attorneys are from Hastings, while under a percent are from USC. For me at least this is data I find hard to ignore, despite how strongly I like USC.
These stats seem useful, but I think we should also keep in mind that the majority of USC students want to stay in LA and only a small percentage move to SF.

Also, it may be helpful to know that USC's career office is branching out into SF.
I think people from SF are able to get jobs there from USC. If do not have ties to norcal and want to end up there from USC, it's harder (but I'm not sure if it's "hard" to do so).

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:48 pm

ocuviper wrote:Thoughts on USC Housing?
I assume this means Terrace, the law dorm (although there are buildings in the area which are also "usc housing").

I think most people like Terrace and are a tight knit group there. Some say it's a bit annoying to have a housemate who is also in your section but almost everyone I know there enjoyed it.

Other USC housing is very varied so I'm sure it just depends on what you are looking for and who you live with.
Let me know if you have specific questions.

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Thu May 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Anyone utilize the METRO rail? I'm looking to live near a stop in Culver City

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu May 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:Anyone utilize the METRO rail? I'm looking to live near a stop in Culver City
The light rail that has a stop at USC and runs up to NEAR Culver city (I don't think the Culver city stop is complete yet) literally just started running a few weeks ago.
Seems like a good option - beat traffic and do some reading/sleeping on the way to school.
Culver city is also a more up and coming neighborhood.
But I have not yet used the light rail, though I do have friends at USC who have (didn't have anything negative to say).

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 pm

gogators wrote:Do you wish you could have gone to UCLA or were you dead set on USC? And I'm not trying to be mean lol
0L
I went to a UC, so coming into the cycle I was sure I would pick UCLA over USC (at equal cost). After getting into and visiting both, I changed my mind. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere at UCLA. The law school itself was beautiful- much nicer than USC's- but the law school community was really lacking. Maybe my experience was a fluke, but the idea of going to UCLA was too depressing to stomach... Of course I wish USC had the same (lay) prestige as UCLA, but I'm not willing to trade my happiness for that.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
gogators wrote:Do you wish you could have gone to UCLA or were you dead set on USC? And I'm not trying to be mean lol
0L
I went to a UC, so coming into the cycle I was sure I would pick UCLA over USC (at equal cost). After getting into and visiting both, I changed my mind. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere at UCLA. The law school itself was beautiful- much nicer than USC's- but the law school community was really lacking. Maybe my experience was a fluke, but the idea of going to UCLA was too depressing to stomach... Of course I wish USC had the same (lay) prestige as UCLA, but I'm not willing to trade my happiness for that.
I'm not sure what you mean by lay prestige or why it would/should matter to a law student/grad. Lay prestige doesn't generally get you a job and UCLA and USC are considered peer schools among those hiring - at least in LA.

Also, one thing that factored into my decision to pick USC over UCLA was concerns over the budget and how it would affect opportunities at UCLA. USC has been extremely responsive to student desires and our SBA really advocates for us so those are things I really appreciate at USC.

Just my $00.02.

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Sat May 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Last edited by sequins on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat May 19, 2012 3:51 pm

sequins wrote:Does anyone know if USC offers free copies of windows or office to students? I was going to build a desktop over summer and was originally going to go to hastings (which offers free copies to students) if USC doesn't have free copies of software or heavy discounts Id build it earlier in the summer rather than waiting for the semester to begin.
Pretty sure that they do not.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sat May 19, 2012 11:42 pm

JJDancer wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by lay prestige or why it would/should matter to a law student/grad. Lay prestige doesn't generally get you a job and UCLA and USC are considered peer schools among those hiring - at least in LA.
Lay preftige didn't factor into my decision whatsoever nor am I suggesting it should matter for any (prospective) law student. It is annoying, however, when people (in SoCal of course) put Harvard and UCLA in the same sentence...

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 am

JJDancer wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Anyone utilize the METRO rail? I'm looking to live near a stop in Culver City
The light rail that has a stop at USC and runs up to NEAR Culver city (I don't think the Culver city stop is complete yet) literally just started running a few weeks ago.
Seems like a good option - beat traffic and do some reading/sleeping on the way to school.
But I have not yet used the light rail, though I do have friends at USC who have (didn't have anything negative to say).
Cool thanks, yeah it looks like that stop will open in the next month or so.

I'm going to assume that Terrace housing is filled (also I'm in-state so there won't be a spot for me). What about other USC graduate housing? I read somewhere that the problem may be that particular housing doesn't conform to law school scheduling, anyone know of a law student living in non-Terrace grad housing?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 am

Worker and Parasite wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Cool thanks, yeah it looks like that stop will open in the next month or so.

I'm going to assume that Terrace housing is filled (also I'm in-state so there won't be a spot for me). What about other USC graduate housing? I read somewhere that the problem may be that particular housing doesn't conform to law school scheduling, anyone know of a law student living in non-Terrace grad housing?
Honestly, I would look for something off campus. Anything you get through the school is probably going to be way overpriced. I know Terrace is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed May 23, 2012 10:47 am

I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a spot for you in Terrace because you're in state. I know at least a handful of people from LA/the valley that went to UG in LA and lived in Terrace...

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Thu May 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Terrace is pretty pricey but the other grad housing options are in the 750-800 range. I'm still thinking about commuting through public transportation but grad housing for my 1L would be a safe bet for me to get used to the USC area.

I was under the impression that the Terrace has 20 rooms and they give preference to non-CA residents? Still, the Terrace is like 1000/month which is out of my current range.

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:19 pm

I know there are lockers on the 1st and 2nd floor but does the building have a refrigerator anywhere?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:I know there are lockers on the 1st and 2nd floor but does the building have a refrigerator anywhere?
Yea. There are two in the same area as the lockers by the vending machines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Any idea on why USC fared so well compared to peer schools (BU/BC/GWU) on 2011 employment stats? In 2010, they were pretty similar but in 2011, BU/BC/GWU got hit pretty hard and USC remained virtually unchanged.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:01 pm

AlanShore wrote:Any idea on why USC fared so well compared to peer schools (BU/BC/GWU) on 2011 employment stats? In 2010, they were pretty similar but in 2011, BU/BC/GWU got hit pretty hard and USC remained virtually unchanged.
Honestly, I don't know enough about those schools to meaningfully comment. Maybe they have larger class sizes (I know GWU's is ungodly large) and firms recruited less from them that year or something. This is just wild speculation though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

achewood

New

Post by achewood » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Aside from 1L class schedules (8 - 2/3/4/5 PM M-F) what do people do afterwards? Like in terms of nightlife on or around the campus? How safe is the campus after hours if you need to study late in the Law Library? Does Bar Review/other social events take place in the general campus area?

I'm just asking because I'm deciding if I want to live close or to commute. If the campus is generally dead after hours, then there's no real reason for me to be in the vicinity after hours then?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:51 pm

achewood wrote:Aside from 1L class schedules (8 - 2/3/4/5 PM M-F) what do people do afterwards? Like in terms of nightlife on or around the campus? How safe is the campus after hours if you need to study late in the Law Library? Does Bar Review/other social events take place in the general campus area?

I'm just asking because I'm deciding if I want to live close or to commute. If the campus is generally dead after hours, then there's no real reason for me to be in the vicinity after hours then?
It's safe to be at the library late at night. Just the normal have your wits about you as you walk to your car thing.

Bar reviews do not take place on campus 1-2 of them are very close to campus, many are in DTLA (downtown) and many are in Hollywood. During the year there are 4-7pmish happy hours at the law school - one per week. There are also tailgates on campus for football games.

I wasn't incredibly social AT the law school so you may want to seek other opinions but I wouldn't live on campus for the "nightlife." Maybe for ease of commuting/studying but not for the nightlife...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

achewood

New

Post by achewood » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am

Thank you for all the answers, I look forward to starting my 1L here!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”