NYU Students -- where do you live? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ezpar

New

NYU Students -- where do you live?

Post by ezpar » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 pm

I'm mostly curious about where NYU students (TLSers and other students you know) live off-campus, since it seems like that'd be the route I'd take if I go to NYU.

Also curious about where in Manhattan students live -- I've looked at Brooklyn and Jersey but the idea of living in Manhattan is pretty sweet, not to mention that it'd be ten times more convenient.

So -- where do you live??

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: NYU Students -- where do you live?

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:20 pm

ezpar wrote:I'm mostly curious about where NYU students (TLSers and other students you know) live off-campus, since it seems like that'd be the route I'd take if I go to NYU.

Also curious about where in Manhattan students live -- I've looked at Brooklyn and Jersey but the idea of living in Manhattan is pretty sweet, not to mention that it'd be ten times more convenient.

Unless you get into student housing, living in Manhattan is not economically feasible for a student.

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Student housing is actually pretty expensive, and is on par with what you can expect to pay for non-student housing apartments in Manhattan. That said, you usually have to have one more person sharing the rent for the apartment than there are bedrooms to make the cost the same as housing.

For example, if you have 3 people in a 2 bedroom apartment, you can find a decent place for the same price as university housing would cost. Considering how most NYU housing rooms put two people in a bedroom, that's not too shabby.

So, if you can afford NYU housing, you can definitely afford to live in a non-NYU apartment in Manhattan. I know many people who find it cheaper to live in Manhattan in non-NYU housing than in NYU housing. Hope this gives you hope!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:15 pm

If you live in off-campus housing with a couple roommates for say, the 2nd and 3rd years, is it as easy to get the GradPLUS loans to cover that as it is if you just go through the university housing system?

espresso

New

Post by espresso » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
ezpar wrote:I'm mostly curious about where NYU students (TLSers and other students you know) live off-campus, since it seems like that'd be the route I'd take if I go to NYU.

Unless you get into student housing, living in Manhattan is not economically feasible for a student.

This is a ridiculous over-generalization. Manhattan includes a bunch of very affordable areas: ABC City, Lower East Side, Washington Heights, Harlem, Murray Hill. Granted, some of these may not be the most desirable for different reasons, but they are certainly financially viable options in Manhattan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:49 pm

espresso wrote:This is a ridiculous over-generalization. Manhattan includes a bunch of very affordable areas: ABC City, Lower East Side, Washington Heights, Harlem, Murray Hill. Granted, some of these may not be the most desirable for different reasons, but they are certainly financially viable options in Manhattan.
ABC City looks like it's not that far from NYU. My boyfriend trained in NYC for 3 months and he mentioned that he thinks there are a lot of projects around Tompkins Square Park. Do any of the neighborhoods you mention pose a problem for female residents who might be walking home late at night? What would you say are the safest of the ones you mentioned?

wansen

New

Post by wansen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Not at NYU law, but I went to NYU for undergrad, so maybe I can shed some light. First of all, living right around campus is pretty near impossible unless you have a good budget--for example, the absolute minimum being $1200/person/month for a two bedroom which will likely be just that: two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a kitchenette (no living room), very small, in a walkup. Keep in mind thats about $15,000 a year (very few academic term leases), and doesn't include cable, internet, water, etc (est. about $200 month for those). And you need at least $500/month for food, metrocards, the few times you go out, etc. I did the tiny apt for a year and it was OK, but it was worth it to spend more the next year. Jump up to like $1450/person and you can get a nice apt, relatively near campus, somewhere you actually want to spend time. Or, if you know people it can be cheaper to get a 3/4 bedroom, if you can find one. (NOTE: all of these are to the east of campus, in the E. Village, because Greenwich Vill and West Vill are much more expensive).

As for alphabet city, TONS of NYUers live there. But you definitely notice once you go over from 1st/2nd ave to A and then B, C, etc. Different demographics, although the rents are still pretty high. There are some projects and there are still some bums in Tompkins, but like most of NYC it's really pretty gentrified. I'm a guy but I can say I've never felt unsafe anywhere in Manhattan. Once you learn your neighborhood, you're fine. But you do have to be smart and aware of your surroundings no matter where you live.

If you don't really care about living near campus but want to be in Manhattan, I'd suggest Murray Hill. Less character, less edgy, but it's full of recent grads so it might be good socially and you can generally get a lot more for your money. But I had a friend who lived there and HATED it, and moved to the E. Village the next year. For the record, I lived on 6th st btw 2nd and 3rd ave and 13th btw 2nd and 3rd and loved both.

I can't really suggest Brooklyn because I don't really know that much about it, but I know the key there is what train line you have to take to Manhattan and how far a walk it is. Makes a huge difference.

I think if I were going to NYU law and didn't know the city I'd do student housing, at least my first year. Getting a studio or a 1bd is astronomically expensive (min $1800 studio, $2100 1b), and finding someone on Craigslist might be dicey since you're probably going to spending a lot of time studying.

espresso

New

Post by espresso » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Sobriquet wrote:
espresso wrote:This is a ridiculous over-generalization. Manhattan includes a bunch of very affordable areas: ABC City, Lower East Side, Washington Heights, Harlem, Murray Hill. Granted, some of these may not be the most desirable for different reasons, but they are certainly financially viable options in Manhattan.
ABC City looks like it's not that far from NYU. My boyfriend trained in NYC for 3 months and he mentioned that he thinks there are a lot of projects around Tompkins Square Park. Do any of the neighborhoods you mention pose a problem for female residents who might be walking home late at night? What would you say are the safest of the ones you mentioned?
This is really variable depending on who you are and what specific part of those neighborhoods you are in, but parts of those areas definitely feel less safe than, say, the UES. Of those I listed, Murray Hill is likely the safest overall. It is also (relatedly, I think) probably the most boring area of any I listed. It's essentially an area filled with 2 things: a) Indian Food b) Dorm-like apartment buildings filled with recent graduates. Safe and generally reasonable price-wise, but a little bland.

monkeywrench

New

Post by monkeywrench » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:09 pm

every single one of these threads will elicit this response from me :

astoria, n/w train right to 8th street , campus right there

my cousin lives in woodside (7 train) and his commute to nyu is short as well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

espresso

New

Post by espresso » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:21 pm

monkeywrench wrote:every single one of these threads will elicit this response from me :

astoria, n/w train right to 8th street , campus right there

my cousin lives in woodside (7 train) and his commute to nyu is short as well
Which stop are you at for Astoria? (which stops would fall under "Astoria")

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:36 pm

also an NYU undergrad here and I would agree with wansen - alphabet city or east village is where the majority of NYUers live during school and after graduation. However, you're looking at minimum $1500 for a 1 bed (probably more) and it gets cheaper the more roomates you have but at this point, anywhere within walking distance that is in decent shape will run you no less than $850 a month per room at that's probably on the cheap end. The problem with apartment hunting (and I've lived in 11 different apartments since I moved to NYC) is that it's really hard to do if you don't know the city. I know so many people who find "amazing" places before they move while they're visiting only to realize they're living in a terrible neighborhood. My advice would be to shell out the extra cash for the first year. Live near or on campus. The law school dorms aren't terrible. They're much more spacious rooms than the undergrad dorms and about as big as some apartments I've been in. It will be totally worthwhile. That way you can get to know the city and sign a lease with people you actually know (as opposed to the crazies that are on Craigslist) in a neighborhood that you really want to live in.

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! What do you guys think about Chelsea? I noticed from a few hours of perusing Craigslist that the area has slightly cheaper apartments (at least 1 bedrooms/studios which is what I'm looking for) than the Village and West Village, and is a straight shot to the W 4th stop near the law school (compared to the East Village, where I could end up walking for like 25 minutes to school since the subways aren't as direct). Is Chelsea generally nice area? Also, as far as walking distance, is the West Village really the only neighboorhood that NYU law is within a 15 minute walk to? For first year, the closer the better, but $2500 for a 1 bedroom on or near campus sounds like it's going to clean me out completely. I'm paying for this myself and do not expect much in the form of financial aid. :-(

wansen

New

Post by wansen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:40 am

Actually, the East Village is well within walking distance of campus. It can be a 10-15 minute walk (MAYBE 20, if you live way, way out there), but if you don't like to walk it's the wrong city for you. And you don't have to take the subway--it would probably take longer--which saves you a nice chunk of money every month (what are unlimited metrocards now, like $80?). For the record, I'm classifying all NYC below 14th and above Houston and East of 3rd Ave as E. Village. Nyu is basically at 8th/Bdway, and the law school itself is, I think, at like 4th st.

To me, I would find Chelsea annoying because it's too far to really walk so you have to take the subway but it's still pretty expensive. If I were going to have to take the subway every day, I'd live further out and pay a lot less and and maybe have a 30 min commute. I hate standing and waiting 10 mins for the train to take a 7 min subway ride. It's a waste.

So to answer your question--W Village isn't the only area. I would really suggest East Vill/ABC city. BUT, I also recommend housing first year to find people to live with/get to know the city/etc. Well worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

monkeywrench

New

Post by monkeywrench » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:00 pm

espresso wrote:
Which stop are you at for Astoria? (which stops would fall under "Astoria")
i am at broadway, roughly 23 min train ride from here to 8th/nyu

the nicer neighborhoods are north of the 36th ave stop (somewhat cheaper) up until the ditmars stop

within 4 blocks from the n/w line (going either east and west) there are plenty of apartments.

while the prices arent that much cheaper than the city (the difference of a few hundred $$, decently sized 1 br in astoria : $1000-1200) the chance of getting an available apartments seems higher.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 pm

I know a good amount of people that live in Brooklyn.

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Brooklyn is nice - I pay $600 for a 12 x 12 room in a 3 bedroom apt w/2 roomies. Takes about 30 mins to get into Midtown - 20 to NYU.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Brooklyn is an great, affordable option if you don't mind a bit of a commute.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Chelsea because most of the bars and restaurants within walking distance are going to be more expensive and will cater to a slightly older crowd. That's just me, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:19 pm

ABC City looks like it would be a pretty long walk - more than 20 minutes for sure. And the fact that there really isn't a direct door-to-door subway to get to NYU is a turnoff...I don't mind walking in the summer, but if I have an early class or it's blizzarding, I'd like to at least have the option of a very convenient public transportation route. I like the East Village, but it seems like most of the less expensive places are way East - like closer to ABC. What do you guys think about Noho/Nolita/Little Italy area? I am definitely considering Brooklyn or UES/UWS for 2L/3L but I'd like to live closer to campus 1L, just cuz I'm not from NY so I'd like to get situated first. Thanks again for the advice!

Edit: Oh and I'm not doing the housing because I am planning on moving out there with a significant other.
Last edited by Sobriquet on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:21 pm

ABC is a looooonnnnnggggg walk in the winter wind.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:25 pm

Sobriquet wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! What do you guys think about Chelsea? I noticed from a few hours of perusing Craigslist that the area has slightly cheaper apartments (at least 1 bedrooms/studios which is what I'm looking for) than the Village and West Village, and is a straight shot to the W 4th stop near the law school (compared to the East Village, where I could end up walking for like 25 minutes to school since the subways aren't as direct). Is Chelsea generally nice area? Also, as far as walking distance, is the West Village really the only neighboorhood that NYU law is within a 15 minute walk to? For first year, the closer the better, but $2500 for a 1 bedroom on or near campus sounds like it's going to clean me out completely. I'm paying for this myself and do not expect much in the form of financial aid. :-(
do you really to have a studio? cause the dorms are a lot less than $2500...

if so, well don't complain about price, that is quite a luxury for a student
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 pm

yeah if i remember right the ones I was looking at were $1800? that's not horrible for the location.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:28 pm

mercer is the nicer apt. i pay around $1700, and it is one of the mid-priced options: biggest rooms, no balcony, on the quiet side of mercer, and on a lower floor

if you get smaller rooms, no balcony, on the broadway side, on a lower floor, you'd pay less. certainly not this ridiculous $2500 figure
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elgatonegro45

New

Post by elgatonegro45 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Advice from an NYU grad: STAY OFF CRAIGSLIST!!

mrcomfortable

New

Post by mrcomfortable » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:36 pm

elgatonegro45 wrote:Advice from an NYU grad: STAY OFF CRAIGSLIST!!
can you be more specific? what should you look out for if you have to use craigslist?? are there any better options for out-of-towners who will probably be going with off-campus housing?

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Oh, I'm sorry, I might not have clarified in this thread, but I'm living with a significant other. So the only on-campus housing I can really do is the "family" style (which I've heard is hard to get, and I'm not sure living in sin with my boyfriend counts as "family") and those are the ones that cost around $2500+. And I think the standard for a 1bed/larger studio off campus in the nearby neighborhoods are in that range as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”