Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PirateCap'n

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:24 am

SteelyDan wrote:1. After reading the Wake Acceptances, Denials and Waitlists thread, I am concerned regarding safety in Winston-Salem. It seems as though there is an unusually high crime rate. I come from a town in Florida of similar population and I have definitely never felt unsafe. Are the Crowne Apartments/campus safe enough?

That's nonsense... I'm not sure how people who have just been accepted would know such things. W-S is very safe. The Crownes are gated, but like any apartment complex with a bunch of college students, there will inevitably be a few cars broken into and the like. As long you act with common sense, you won't have any problems.

2. How would you describe the culture of the law school? Political leanings, personalities, competitiveness, etc.

Politically all over the map. Coming from a super-Liberal undergrad institution, I was pleased to find some Conservatives to commiserate with. Competitiveness really isn't a problem, it's a small enough school that people generally get along.

3. How is the alumni network? Do they seem to be supportive of current students/recent grads?

Small-ish alumni network, but very dedicated and extremely helpful if you ask for anything.

4. What type of networking opportunities are available for students?

Tons. There's something going on practically every day, and most of them offer free pizza.

5. What are your most favorite and least favorite qualities of the school?

Most - small classes. It makes a huge difference to get all the personal attention you want from profs and TAs.

Least - Research and writing. The profs I have (and some, but not all of the others) really don't give a damn.

6. How does Career Services help students find jobs? Do they have any workshops, seminars, etc to help with the process?

They do what they can, but ultimately finding a job is your responsibility. They put a lot of opportunities in front of us, but the market being the way it is, there just aren't enough jobs to go around. If you put the legwork in, you won't have trouble finding a job, but you certainly can't expect CS to do it for you.

7. How hard is it participate in clinics? The DC program?

I'll defer to a 2L or 3L on that.

I agree with this for the most part. By no means is WS the safest city in the world, but I came from a small town with relatively little crime and feel perfectly safe here. In the admitted students thread, it looks like some sour-puss who transferred to Notre Dame really just wants to give the school and the city a bad (and mostly undeserved) reputation. Don't let that kid scare you away. In any city of this size, there will be some amount of crime, but you just have to take steps to protect yourself and your stuff.

As for the writing professors, I don't think it's that they don't care; It's just that some are able to connect with students better than others. I've had four different writing professors for different classes and really liked all of them. However, I know that there are a couple who were universally disliked by every student I've ever heard from who had them. It's just one of those things where it's the luck of the draw for 1L, but you should be able to find someone you like for 2L and 3L.

Clinics are pretty easy to get into for the most part. There are enough of them that, even if you don't get into the particular one you want, you should be able to get into one of the others. Since you can begin taking most of the clinics during the fall of 2L (I think one requires you to be a spring-semester 2L, but I'm not sure which one), you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the one you want by the time you graduate. I'm not too familiar with the DC program (other than that most people who've gone seemed to enjoy it), so I'll leave that for others. For the most part, Dan is pretty spot-on though.

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:58 am

Just noticed that Wake Forest raised their prices by like 2000. Is this the norm? That makes me worried. Scholarship losing value of 2,000 a year is a bummer. Though I know this happens everywhere.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:39 am

Gail wrote:Just noticed that Wake Forest raised their prices by like 2000. Is this the norm? That makes me worried. Scholarship losing value of 2,000 a year is a bummer. Though I know this happens everywhere.

Yep. It's pretty common. That was one thing I liked about other schools (like Alabama and Indiana) where they tied the scholarship to tuition increases. Wake definitely lacks in that area.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
Gail wrote:Just noticed that Wake Forest raised their prices by like 2000. Is this the norm? That makes me worried. Scholarship losing value of 2,000 a year is a bummer. Though I know this happens everywhere.

Yep. It's pretty common. That was one thing I liked about other schools (like Alabama and Indiana) where they tied the scholarship to tuition increases. Wake definitely lacks in that area.

Looks like the increase was more around 1.3k. Still blows though. You would think all the extra 1Ls would have been more than enough to cover any 'needed' operation cost increase.

As for safety - it seems to be a little more of a problem this year than last. I dont think we got any emails my 1L year about safety and people getting held up, but we did get them this year. My neighbors apartment got broken into yesterday, but like others have said, that happens everywhere. The area around Wake is not the best, you just have to be smart. Contrary to others, I actually felt safer living in a large city than in w-s. But thats not to say I feel unsafe here.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:13 pm

I think most of the clinics require you to be a second semester 2L because the 3rd Year practice rule applies then. Some clinics are first-come, first-serve during registration, so it's luck of the draw whether you get it (meaning it is usually 3Ls). Some require you to go through an application process and be chosen before registration. But you can definitely do at least 1 clinic during your time. I think some people even do 2.

I have some friends who just did the application process for the DC externship. I think you just apply during your 2L year and a certain number are selected. Other than that, I don't know any more details for the application process. You're also responsible for finding your own job for that semester. But I know some people got job offers as a result of their time in DC.

As for Legal Writing, I really enjoyed my Legal Writing professor last year and my professor for Appellate Advocacy last semester. But I'm a TA for a new Legal Writing professor, which has been frustrating at times for both the TAs and the students. It really is luck of the draw. Having small Legal Writing sections is good because you usually have about 20-24 students per section, which works out to about 6 students per TA. So, if you make the effort, you can get a lot of help from the TAs and professor.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:44 pm

ash0117 wrote:Wake Forest is currently my top choice. I have a few questions, if you don't mind. Sorry for asking so much, I just want to make sure I understand the few things I didn't get a clear answer to on my visit. THANKS!

1. After reading the Wake Acceptances, Denials and Waitlists thread, I am concerned regarding safety in Winston-Salem. It seems as though there is an unusually high crime rate. I come from a town in Florida of similar population and I have definitely never felt unsafe. Are the Crowne Apartments/campus safe enough?

2. How would you describe the culture of the law school? Political leanings, personalities, competitiveness, etc.

3. How is the alumni network? Do they seem to be supportive of current students/recent grads?

4. What type of networking opportunities are available for students?

5. What are your most favorite and least favorite qualities of the school?

6. How does Career Services help students find jobs? Do they have any workshops, seminars, etc to help with the process?

7. How hard is it participate in clinics? The DC program?

Anything else relevant would also be appreciated. Sorry if I repeat questions already answered, I have not had a chance to read the entire thread.

1. I'll echo what has already been said: there are places you don't want to live in WS, but it's not a hotbed of crime activity, especially immediately around the Wake Forest campus (where most students live). It's a fine area, in my opinion.

2. The culture is non-competitive and pretty relaxed. I've had classmates GChat me answers when I get cold-called on, people give me their outlines, send me notes when I miss a class, etc... Everyone is competing with each other, technically speaking, but it is far from a cutthroat environment. Most people are pretty mellow. Most of the professors aren't out there trying to kill you or needlessly embarrass you. You'll get cold called on but I haven't had any professors make a spectacle of you or make you stand up for recitations. Class sizes are pretty small and it's a "community" atmosphere.

4. Lots of networking opportunities. It just kind of depends on how much you want to do. They are constantly bringing in employers to do seminars and Q&A's. They just had a networking event yesterday with maybe a couple dozen(ish) employers (from DA's, to the FBI, to small and big firms). The opportunities are there, it's just a question of whether you take advantage of them.

6. Career services has been great so far. They aren't going to hand you a job though. If you expect them to just say "here's a job" then you'll be disappointed. But they will be a big help to you in your job search if you want their help. You'll be assigned a person in the Career Office and starting your first semester they'll sit down and talk with you about what your goals are and help you with your resume/cover letter and stuff like that. Mine has been very accessible and answered all my questions pretty quickly.

*won't comment on the other stuff for lack of knowledge and/or lack of interesting things to say.

BenPH

Postby BenPH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:03 pm

What bars in town are frequented by law students? Is there a go to bar for everyone, or perhaps a well established circuit based on drink specials/day of the week?

I actually live in Winston-Salem and already have my own favorite places, but I am curious to see what the drinking preferences of the Wake Forest Law Students are.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:30 pm

BenPH wrote:What bars in town are frequented by law students? Is there a go to bar for everyone, or perhaps a well established circuit based on drink specials/day of the week?

I actually live in Winston-Salem and already have my own favorite places, but I am curious to see what the drinking preferences of the Wake Forest Law Students are.

Maybe others will have different views on this, but my favorite bar is a flask in the library.

Seriously, you're not going to have time to go out drinking every night based on the specials at various bars. The fact that we have almost 500 students and <100 show up at Bar Review every week should be a good indication of this.

That being said, when I do find time I like Foothills & Tates. A lot of law students frequent Finnigans, but personally I think it's a shithole. I got a skunk beer there once which may have prejudiced my opinion of them.

On a related note, I'd like to surreptitiously start a bar in the library by replacing books with these: --LinkRemoved--

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:24 pm

BenPH wrote:What bars in town are frequented by law students? Is there a go to bar for everyone, or perhaps a well established circuit based on drink specials/day of the week?

Bar Review was at Opera House last night. As for just going out, you will always run into law students on Friday/Saturday at Finnegan's. Rec and Tate's are pretty common too.

SBA generally gets a drink special or two for us when they choose an establishment for bar review. There were 18 free pizza's at opera house last night. Last two times we went to District everything on tap was $3 (my favorite special ever, as a homebrewer I appreciate good beers for a good price).

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Also, couple more things

To SteelyDan, I have never drank in the library, can't tell if that sounds fun or terrible. No way I would focus on work. Oh and if you don't have a flask you could always smuggle booze in your stomach. ;)

To BenPH, you can actually check out bar review any, or all, Thursdays. We don't reserve bars, and even if we did friends are always allowed to come, you should join if you want. I'm one of the people who goes more than most, my friend group is pretty good about showing up. Law school is my main obligation, but after getting work done I like to go out and hang out- no kids or anything holding me up. If I remember, I'll post where it is when it is announced next Wed or so.

Although we have a large brief due Friday morning at 9am next week. If we all finish, we are definitively drinking in celebration, but there is a huge chance most 1Ls don't go out in order to finish it. But then again spring break begins Fridays and a decent amount of 2Ls and 3Ls don't have Friday classes, so maybe they will turn out.

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:15 pm

SteelyDan wrote:Maybe others will have different views on this, but my favorite bar is a flask in the library.

Seriously, you're not going to have time to go out drinking every night based on the specials at various bars. The fact that we have almost 500 students and <100 show up at Bar Review every week should be a good indication of this.

So only 20% of students at Wake Forest are actively networking? Or actively networking through bar review? It seems like a really bad idea to not get to know any lawyers in the area while at a regional law school, especially for the what... 70% of students coming from outside the Carolinas.

Or is bar review just law students. Sorry. 0L ignorance.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Gail wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:Maybe others will have different views on this, but my favorite bar is a flask in the library.

So only 20% of students at Wake Forest are actively networking? Or actively networking through bar review? It seems like a really bad idea to not get to know any lawyers in the area while at a regional law school, especially for the what... 70% of students coming from outside the Carolinas.

Or is bar review just law students. Sorry. 0L ignorance.

Haha, no, ignorance is ok. Bar Review is just SBA (?) getting us drink specials at a particular bar in town every Thursday night. It's just law students. Also, after talking to a few people today I think my guess of 100 was probably too high.

Like Dubs said, it is fun, it's just not always feasible for 1Ls since we all have classes on Friday mornings. Hopefully next year I can arrange my schedule to avoid that inconvenience.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 am

Ah. Gotcha. That makes more sense then.

I've been trolling here:
http://career.law.wfu.edu/blog/

It does seem like Wake Forest is at least somewhat honest. That's a good thing. They're pretty blunt about not relying on OCI and needing to do a lot of hustle.

Good to know what you're going to have to do before you have to do it. For people who aren't very good at networking, though, this is kind of scary (i.e. I'm kind of scared).

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:42 am

SteelyDan wrote:

Maybe others will have different views on this, but my favorite bar is a flask in the library.

That being said, when I do find time I like Foothills & Tates. A lot of law students frequent Finnigans, but personally I think it's a shithole. I got a skunk beer there once which may have prejudiced my opinion of them.

On a related note, I'd like to surreptitiously start a bar in the library by replacing books with these: --LinkRemoved--

Hey, I like Finnegan's... I'm not sure that bar review has low attendance because we don't have time to go out, though. Personally, I feel like I have time to do my work and hang out with friends occasionally. Others may have different experiences.

IMHO, your leisure time is going to be determined by time management. If going out regularly is important to your sanity, you'll just have to work hard during the rest of the time.

anglemerchant

Postby anglemerchant » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 am

here is some honest advice........if you didn't get a full scholarship to Wake its probably a big risk to go there. Its a good school but if you don't finish in the top 10% you will struggle to find a job, any legal job. So unless your daddy is partner or you already won the parent lottery or you actually want to be a solo then you need to consider choosing another career path. Oh, and WS is safe unless you choose to live on the other side of the tracks. good luck, you will need it...

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 am

anglemerchant wrote:here is some honest advice........if you didn't get a full scholarship to Wake its probably a big risk to go there. Its a good school but if you don't finish in the top 10% you will struggle to find a job, any legal job. So unless your daddy is partner or you already won the parent lottery or you actually want to be a solo then you need to consider choosing another career path. Oh, and WS is safe unless you choose to live on the other side of the tracks. good luck, you will need it...

1L/2L/3L? Stats? At least give the prospective students some context to your comments.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am

moandersen wrote:
anglemerchant wrote:here is some honest advice........if you didn't get a full scholarship to Wake its probably a big risk to go there. Its a good school but if you don't finish in the top 10% you will struggle to find a job, any legal job. So unless your daddy is partner or you already won the parent lottery or you actually want to be a solo then you need to consider choosing another career path. Oh, and WS is safe unless you choose to live on the other side of the tracks. good luck, you will need it...

1L/2L/3L? Stats? At least give the prospective students some context to your comments.

This sure sounds like the disenchanted kid who transferred to Notre Dame (supposedly) and then sent all those "warning" messages to people about Wake. Don't know your deal is AM, but why don't you find somewhere else to troll other than a thread where people are actually giving valid information?

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:43 am

moandersen wrote:1L/2L/3L? Stats? At least give the prospective students some context to your comments.

^TCRs.

Anglemerchant, what you originally said isn't very helpful. You are absolutely free to your own opinion, but what class year are you? When did you graduate? What was your class rank? What kind of places did you apply to and how many?

You can say "LOL no except the Top 10% gets jobs" but back it up with something. Because if you were last in the class and only applied to three places when you graduated and those were Wachtell, Cravath and Skadden, then I doubt you can make that sweeping of a generalization. Also, are you even a Wake student?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:18 pm

None of this is true at all.

Looking at UNC's 2010 OCS, I'll admit that I'm making the assumption that WFU will be similar for the simple fact that they're peer schools in the same area, but it seems that consistently ~10-15% get NLJ250, 8% get clerkships, another 5-7% get market paying midlaw, and maybe 15-20% are known to have found smaller firms or PI.

If you're attacking WF, telling people that only the top 10% get jobs of any kind is getting off on the wrong foot because it's demonstratively untrue.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:13 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:

This sure sounds like the disenchanted kid who transferred to Notre Dame (supposedly) and then sent all those "warning" messages to people about Wake. Don't know your deal is AM, but why don't you find somewhere else to troll other than a thread where people are actually giving valid information?

hibiscus18

Postby hibiscus18 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Besides the three Crowne apartments, where do law students tend to live? Any thoughts on living outside of a 5 mile radius of campus?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 pm

hibiscus18 wrote:Besides the three Crowne apartments, where do law students tend to live? Any thoughts on living outside of a 5 mile radius of campus?

The Pines, the corners, and a few other places.

Most of htem are within 5 miles from my internet researche.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm

hibiscus18 wrote:Besides the three Crowne apartments, where do law students tend to live? Any thoughts on living outside of a 5 mile radius of campus?

I know several people live at the Corners at Crystal Lake. It's probably not as nice as some of the Polos, but it's nice enough. I also think it's cheaper and closer, but I don't live there so don't quote me.
Others live down Reynolda at Providence Pointe Apartments. Those seem to be pricier, but they are really nice. It's gated too... Which is really annoying for visiting as a guest, but whatever.

I live on the other side of town from Wake Forest. Decided to get a house instead of renting an apartment. It's only a 15 minute drive (which to me, is really reasonable...) and I like the area where I live and it's dirt cheap. You can definitely live farther away from campus if you want... But you will definitely need to have a car. Winston Salem's public transportation probably won't cut it. That being said, if you do decide to live a little farther away from campus just make sure you do plenty of research on the area before committing to anything.

hibiscus18

Postby hibiscus18 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 pm

MattThiessen wrote:

I know several people live at the Corners at Crystal Lake. It's probably not as nice as some of the Polos, but it's nice enough. I also think it's cheaper and closer, but I don't live there so don't quote me.
Others live down Reynolda at Providence Pointe Apartments. Those seem to be pricier, but they are really nice. It's gated too... Which is really annoying for visiting as a guest, but whatever.

I live on the other side of town from Wake Forest. Decided to get a house instead of renting an apartment. It's only a 15 minute drive (which to me, is really reasonable...) and I like the area where I live and it's dirt cheap. You can definitely live farther away from campus if you want... But you will definitely need to have a car. Winston Salem's public transportation probably won't cut it. That being said, if you do decide to live a little farther away from campus just make sure you do plenty of research on the area before committing to anything.

Thank you both for your input. Yeah, I'm definitely bringing my car. How is the commute in traffic?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 pm

MattThiessen wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, are you renting the house or did you buy?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”