Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
moandersen

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 pm

FYI - grades are starting to coming out. I got 2/4 so far.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:42 pm

moandersen wrote:FYI - grades are starting to coming out. I got 2/4 so far.

:shock: ...... Crap

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:44 pm

i hear it's still gonna be some time before the 1L grades are up. I'm really thinking about not looking at mine until the summer. Prof Wright said something about that during one of his many inspirational pre-final pep talks. I've been debating it ever since :|

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:52 pm

girlonfire wrote:i hear it's still gonna be some time before the 1L grades are up. I'm really thinking about not looking at mine until the summer. Prof Wright said something about that during one of his many inspirational pre-final pep talks. I've been debating it ever since :|

Sorry, didn't mean to give you 1Ls a mini panic attack. The wait gets easier 2L year for those of us that become apathetic.

wakelaw'13

Postby wakelaw'13 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm a transfer student, so this is my first time going through this at Wake. I haven't gotten any grades so far, and I was wondering what classes came out already.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

wakelaw'13 wrote:

I'm a transfer student, so this is my first time going through this at Wake. I haven't gotten any grades so far, and I was wondering what classes came out already.

Tax, LegAd, and Construction are the only classes I know of atm. Im guessing they will trickle in for the rest of the week.

Edit: add Crim Pro (the 4 credit one) to the list
Last edited by moandersen on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:42 pm

The 1L grades will probably come out on Friday afternoon. A quick PSA:

Last year's top 10% cutoff after first semester was 91.6. Cutoff for top 50% was 85.3. These obviously vary each year but it should give you a ballpark estimate.

And I know that nobody needs to hear this, but don't be a douchetard and post your grades on facebook, etc. Obviously it goes without saying. But nonetheless, every year a few dumbasses do it anyway.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:43 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:The 1L grades will probably come out on Friday afternoon. A quick PSA:

Last year's top 10% cutoff after first semester was 91.6. Cutoff for top 50% was 85.3. These obviously vary each year but it should give you a ballpark estimate.

And I know that nobody needs to hear this, but don't be a douchetard and post your grades on facebook, etc. Obviously it goes without saying. But nonetheless, every year a few dumbasses do it anyway.

you. i like you.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Some other ballpark estimates of rank based off of last year's class after the fall semester for those that end up inbetween those numbers listed above:

Top 25% - 88.8
Top 33% - 87.5

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 pm

1L grades are up.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 am

WVUCHIP-- If I am not mistaken, I thought ASD was specifically for the students who received scholarship offers early in the process and were being "considered" for the Fletchers. And then the later ones may be open to everyone. That may not be the same this year since we have new people in the offices, but that is my best guess.

Grades are up and now we wait two weeks for clear ranks.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:57 pm

jdemmitt wrote:WVUCHIP-- If I am not mistaken, I thought ASD was specifically for the students who received scholarship offers early in the process and were being "considered" for the Fletchers. And then the later ones may be open to everyone. That may not be the same this year since we have new people in the offices, but that is my best guess.

Grades are up and now we wait two weeks for clear ranks.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:30 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:The 1L grades will probably come out on Friday afternoon. A quick PSA:

So last years cutoff was 91.6, I heard from someone the year before it was about a 90. Did Wake change the average from something to an 85 to account for this? Or is the variance of top 10% that large?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:51 am

DubPoker wrote:

So last years cutoff was 91.6, I heard from someone the year before it was about a 90. Did Wake change the average from something to an 85 to account for this? Or is the variance of top 10% that large?

Nope, it is always 85. The variance comes from how the students do, and how high of grades an individual professor gives out. Some professor's highest grades are in the low 90's, while some give out high 90's.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 am

tstyler98 wrote:Nope, it is always 85. The variance comes from how the students do, and how high of grades an individual professor gives out. Some professor's highest grades are in the low 90's, while some give out high 90's.

Thanks! and if you are who I think you are, I believe you were the person who originally told me the cutoff for two years ago compared to last year!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 pm

DubPoker wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:Nope, it is always 85. The variance comes from how the students do, and how high of grades an individual professor gives out. Some professor's highest grades are in the low 90's, while some give out high 90's.

Thanks! and if you are who I think you are, I believe you were the person who originally told me the cutoff for two years ago compared to last year!

You're welcome. Always glad to help.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Do we get a numerical ranking like 88/183?

VA Politco

Postby VA Politco » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:25 pm

You'll get a numerical rank if you're above a certain cutoff point. Don't know if it's top 50% or top 25% or what, but after a certain point they stop giving individual ranks.

But yes, if you're above the cutoff, you'll get a rank like 24/189

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:40 pm

VA Politco wrote:You'll get a numerical rank if you're above a certain cutoff point. Don't know if it's top 50% or top 25% or what, but after a certain point they stop giving individual ranks.

But yes, if you're above the cutoff, you'll get a rank like 24/189

Top 50% is the cutoff. It's 5% increments after that. Here's the link (on page 4): http://studentlife.law.wfu.edu/files/2011/11/handbook.2011.2012.pdf

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

tstyler98 wrote:
risingdragon wrote:I am a Chinese student. Just wonder how big the international student body can be. It must be weird to be the only Asian face in the campus. :lol:

And, WF grants me some $$$, could anyone tell me how to squeeze more out? :twisted:

Glacias!

We have an international LLM program with students from all over the world. And while Wake is not the most diverse student, there are students of most every race represented at Wake. So, you won't be the only Asian student.

I'm not sure about getting more money. They are pretty generous to begin with, especially compared to a lot of schools. Someone else on here might have experience that they can share.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
[quote="tstyler98"][quote="risingdragon"]

Thank you very much for your answer. I read through all the 36 pages in this thread and I appreciate your and the other WFers' help.

I am right now trying to negotiate scholarship with WF although I have got a little initially. Do you know anybody who has made it? I do not want to piss WF off by my greed.

Glacias.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 pm

risingdragon wrote:Thank you very much for your answer. I read through all the 36 pages in this thread and I appreciate your and the other WFers' help.

I am right now trying to negotiate scholarship with WF although I have got a little initially. Do you know anybody who has made it? I do not want to piss WF off by my greed.

Glacias.

The best scholarship leverage is acceptances to other schools and other scholarships. As long as you come off as a reasonable human being don't worry about the greed thing. They have a budget, they know your profile- and those around you. Either they will give you money, or they wont- they are not going to take back any money or an acceptance. They are use to this, don't be to concerned with looking greedy.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm

risingdragon wrote:Thank you very much for your answer. I read through all the 36 pages in this thread and I appreciate your and the other WFers' help.

Glacias.

I don't know anyone who for sure was able to get them to increase their offer, though I vaguely remember reading something from a few people on TLS in years past who were successful doing it. I tried to negotiate last year when I was accepted but didn't get anything additional... likely due to the fact that they admitted too many people and offered too much in scholarship money last year (that's what they told me, anyway, basically that they had already offered all the scholarship money they had by the time I tried to negotiate). I used this thread to help write the negotiation letter: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Thank you very much for your replies. I just failed to squeeze more money out. :( Will come back with more bargaining counters.

May I ask how can I get a roommate? Some people mentioned House Hunt but I do not understand how it would work.

And, are there any tips for saving money?

Glacias!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:40 am

risingdragon wrote:Thank you very much for your replies. I just failed to squeeze more money out. :( Will come back with more bargaining counters.

May I ask how can I get a roommate? Some people mentioned House Hunt but I do not understand how it would work.

Glacias!

House Hunt is a program done by a student organization at Wake. It takes place in early June. Those interested in finding a place to live come for the weekend, go to a baseball game on Friday night, and then tour various apartments and houses on Saturday. Both Friday and Saturday nights, the group will also go out to a bar/restaurant. Usually at least 50+ people come each year. I did it back in 2010 and it was a lot of fun. I helped out last year as well. Even if you want to live on your own or already have a roommate, it's a great way to meet your classmates and get to know the area.

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:22 am

tstyler98 wrote:
risingdragon wrote:Thank you very much for your replies. I just failed to squeeze more money out. :( Will come back with more bargaining counters.

Glacias!

House Hunt is a program done by a student organization at Wake. It takes place in early June. Those interested in finding a place to live come for the weekend, go to a baseball game on Friday night, and then tour various apartments and houses on Saturday. Both Friday and Saturday nights, the group will also go out to a bar/restaurant. Usually at least 50+ people come each year. I did it back in 2010 and it was a lot of fun. I helped out last year as well. Even if you want to live on your own or already have a roommate, it's a great way to meet your classmates and get to know the area.

Thanks a lot for your answer. :lol: But, are there any ways I can get to know the others and get a roommate if I arrive after June? I am not sure when I can get the visa and leave my current job. So I may not be able to come that early. :cry:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”