Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DubPoker

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby DubPoker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:22 am

cph4life wrote:I have kind of a weird question about Wake. Right now it's probably my top choice (if I get in, duh) but my biggest concern is the gay culture at Wake. I'm from the North, but spent the last 4 years in the South and know how restricted the gay scene is here. I kind of wanted to change that post-grad. So is there a strong gay presence at Wake and Winston-Salem in general? Are people pretty open to it, or is it a more conservative atmosphere?

I thought Winston-Salem would have a more conservative atmosphere. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of churches around town, but in my existence I am either on the Wake campus, or downtown, both places more liberal than the town. Law schools in general are very socially liberal, Wake has its fair share of preppy people, but legal culture has a huge respect for civil rights.

I don't know much about gay scenes in general, but I know there is at least one gay bar downtown. Now i'm guessing compared to the North, West, and wherever outside the South- the gay presence is probably not strong.

Also, law school requires infinite reading, the main thing you will be involved in is the "library scene." :)

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:22 am

tl;dr
I'm awesome.

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:30 pm

cph4life wrote:I have kind of a weird question about Wake. Right now it's probably my top choice (if I get in, duh) but my biggest concern is the gay culture at Wake. I'm from the North, but spent the last 4 years in the South and know how restricted the gay scene is here. I kind of wanted to change that post-grad. So is there a strong gay presence at Wake and Winston-Salem in general? Are people pretty open to it, or is it a more conservative atmosphere?

Like someone said, we have a LGBTQ/ally club and they made -awesome- homemade lasagna at the last meeting... There was a gay pride event recently but this is NOT an annual thing... the last time it occurred was years ago. The gay presence in the community and possibly the undergrad campus is probably larger than the presence at the law school.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:46 pm

MattThiessen wrote:tl;dr
I'm awesome.

TROLLOLOLOLOL

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm bored and don't want to study for exams, so, if anybody happens to have questions, ask away. Plus, this thread needed a bump anyway.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:18 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:I'm bored and don't want to study for exams, so, if anybody happens to have questions, ask away. Plus, this thread needed a bump anyway.

I got a couple questions for you - Why is WF giving out scholarship $$ like its going out of style now? And how were they not able to 'anticipate' this causing a rise in enrollment this past fall? Is tuition increasing again next year? What are the odds that there are 5 1L sections again next year, and 6 when the B-school moves out? Does the % increase in enrollment correlate with the % increase in obtaining a JD-required full time job? By my math its a negative correlation.

I enjoy WF and it has served me well, but the direction the school is taking makes it hard to advocate for it - esp when so many highly qualified people are without jobs.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:22 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:I'm bored and don't want to study for exams, so, if anybody happens to have questions, ask away. Plus, this thread needed a bump anyway.

I got a couple questions for you - Why is WF giving out scholarship $$ like its going out of style now? And how were they not able to 'anticipate' this causing a rise in enrollment this past fall? Is tuition increasing again next year? What are the odds that there are 5 1L sections again next year, and 6 when the B-school moves out? Does the % increase in enrollment correlate with the % increase in obtaining a JD-required full time job? By my math its a negative correlation.

I enjoy WF and it has served me well, but the direction the school is taking makes it hard to advocate for it - esp when so many highly qualified people are without jobs.

a) Just clicking over to LSN and checking, it doesn't really seem to me that the scholarship offers have been way out of line compared to the last couple of years. If anything, it looks like the offers are down from last year.
b) I think the issue with last years class is that they tried to implement some computer program calculation/formula to determine the number of students to accept and to give scholarship offers to. Needless to say, the formula was way off. Can't remember if I heard that directly from someone in admissions or if I heard it through another student, but I am pretty sure Melanie Nutt told me that at some point.
c) Heck if I know if tuition is increasing again next year. It probably will, like it does at most other schools. Personally I don't think it should but what are we going to do about it?
d) The whole five sections thing really does seem like an accident. They clearly weren't prepared for it and had to bend over backwards with professors taking on additional classes to make it work. I don't know what the plans are for the future, but the impression that I get (knock on wood) is that it will move back to the 4 section/160 student range next year. Now, once we take over all of Worrell High, I don't know. Maybe they will plan to extend enrollment... but I certainly haven't heard anything one way or the other on that.

Hopefully that clears at least a few things up. Until next time, this has been a troll free post brought to you by MattThiessen. Also, tl;dr to myself.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 pm

MattThiessen wrote:Now, once we take over all of Worrell High, I don't know. Maybe they will plan to extend enrollment... but I certainly haven't heard anything one way or the other on that.

I asked about this specifically in the Dean's Breakfast and Dean Gibbs said absolutely not - that right now they're short on offices, study space, and classrooms, and that taking the rest of the building would alleviate that. She said they're particularly excited about the office space because it could mean more clinics.

I just hope they keep the sweet b-school study rooms.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:20 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Hopefully that clears at least a few things up. Until next time, this has been a troll free post brought to you by MattThiessen. Also, tl;dr to myself.

I guess my cynicism didnt come through as well as I thought. I know, or likely know the answers to all my questions, but I appreciate the effort haha. I just felt bad for Pirate because no one asked him questions after he bumped this thread. I like your optimism though - law school has yet to harden you.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:30 pm

moandersen wrote:law school has yet to harden you.

Nonsense, there are plenty of attractive women.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 am

SteelyDan wrote:
moandersen wrote:law school has yet to harden you.

Nonsense, there are plenty of attractive women.

--ImageRemoved--

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:25 pm

moandersen wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I guess my cynicism didnt come through as well as I thought. I know, or likely know the answers to all my questions, but I appreciate the effort haha. I just felt bad for Pirate because no one asked him questions after he bumped this thread. I like your optimism though - law school has yet to harden you.

All of that really bugs the hell out of me too. Honestly, and I've said this before, I really believe Shively brought that UNC mentality with him to Wake (since he was at UNC for a while), and I really don't like it. It seems like they're going for an increase in student enrollment regardless of the repercussions. If you look in the admissions thread, they've also completely eliminated scholarship stipulations for the incoming classes -- if you pass, you keep it. They sure haven't bothered to offer that to any of the 2Ls or 3Ls. I'm sure tuition will be going up again next year (since it goes up every year), yet our scholarships certainly won't increase with the tuition, which is ridiculous. Every school that offered me a scholarship other than Wake tied the scholarship to increases in tuition. Quite frankly, I think the loss of Melanie Nutt has been huge, and I hope that they figure it out before the new guy completely turns it into UNC and destroys the whole concept of small classes and the intimate feel of the school as it was before he tried to double the enrollment for the 1Ls.

I'm with you completely. I love the school and appreciate the opportunities I've earned by doing well here. However, I truly disagree with the turn it has taken since Ms. Nutt left, and I hope that it is fixed before too long. As it stands, like you, I certainly can't advocate for the school when it looks like this administration is doing nothing but trying to destroy what the school was. If it continues on this path, the school will lose any goodwill it might have with current students (and eventual alumni), which might bite it in the rear-end when it comes time to solicit alumni donations. Just my two cents though (and you can rest assured that the admissions office doesn't care either way what our opinions are).

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:49 am

2L/3Ls: Did anyone who else feel the compulsion to commit seppuku after your criminal law exam? Specifically, if you had Wright? Honestly, I felt okay about every other exam and then criminal law just... made me lose my faith in my ability to even tie my shoelaces.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Relientkate wrote:2L/3Ls: Did anyone who else feel the compulsion to commit seppuku after your criminal law exam? Specifically, if you had Wright? Honestly, I felt okay about every other exam and then criminal law just... made me lose my faith in my ability to even tie my shoelaces.

Same question, just with Rose. I feel like a complete failure.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:31 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
Relientkate wrote:2L/3Ls: Did anyone who else feel the compulsion to commit seppuku after your criminal law exam? Specifically, if you had Wright? Honestly, I felt okay about every other exam and then criminal law just... made me lose my faith in my ability to even tie my shoelaces.

I had Rose. I think it's just a Crim. Law thing in general. Everybody is going to feel horrible after that exam. I thought I had bombed it. Literally had no idea what I had just finished writing -- and ended up with an A in the class. You'll be fine. Most people thought Rose was pretty generous in grading their exams last year, so I feel certain it's probably not much different this year. Obviously, I didn't have Wright, but, for the folks with him, it's probably a lot like Rose. Everybody had the same prompt, and I'm sure most found it as bad as you did. Trust me, now that exams are over, just take a break for a while, and don't sit around and stress about it. If you feel like you did poorly on a Rose exam, you really probably did fine (based on my experience and others I talked to).

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:

I had Rose. I think it's just a Crim. Law thing in general. Everybody is going to feel horrible after that exam. I thought I had bombed it. Literally had no idea what I had just finished writing -- and ended up with an A in the class. You'll be fine. Most people thought Rose was pretty generous in grading their exams last year, so I feel certain it's probably not much different this year. Obviously, I didn't have Wright, but, for the folks with him, it's probably a lot like Rose. Everybody had the same prompt, and I'm sure most found it as bad as you did. Trust me, now that exams are over, just take a break for a while, and don't sit around and stress about it. If you feel like you did poorly on a Rose exam, you really probably did fine (based on my experience and others I talked to).

I had Rose as well. Left thinking I did fine, and I ended up fine (a few points above the curve). As long as you tied your essays to that justification of punishment crap from the beginning of the semester, youll be in good shape.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:45 pm

moandersen wrote:
I had Rose as well. Left thinking I did fine, and I ended up fine (a few points above the curve). As long as you tied your essays to that justification of punishment crap from the beginning of the semester, youll be in good shape.

i hope that works for wright, too.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 am

Edit: nm

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Any guess on when we get grades?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Bulls wrote:Any guess on when we get grades?

They're due by January 11, so it won't be any earlier than that. I think last year it was the day after they were due. I would say that you can reasonably begin to check on the 11th, but I wouldn't expect them out until at least the 12th (and I'm pretty sure they come out in the afternoon as best I can remember).

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Last year grades came out on the Friday right before classes started. So, that would be Friday the 13th. But they might start coming out on Thursday.

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 am

I am a Chinese student. Just wonder how big the international student body can be. It must be weird to be the only Asian face in the campus. :lol:

And, WF grants me some $$$, could anyone tell me how to squeeze more out? :twisted:

Glacias!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:09 pm

risingdragon wrote:I am a Chinese student. Just wonder how big the international student body can be. It must be weird to be the only Asian face in the campus. :lol:

And, WF grants me some $$$, could anyone tell me how to squeeze more out? :twisted:

Glacias!

We have an international LLM program with students from all over the world. And while Wake is not the most diverse student, there are students of most every race represented at Wake. So, you won't be the only Asian student.

I'm not sure about getting more money. They are pretty generous to begin with, especially compared to a lot of schools. Someone else on here might have experience that they can share.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

wvu

Postby wvu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:28 am

Asked this in the application thread but nobody seems to know. Any current students know the difference between the Scholars Days and the ASDs? If it doesn't really matter which you go to I'd prefer going to one of the ASDs instead, since they're during my Spring Break, but if there's some sort of substantial difference between the two obviously I'd get down to the SD.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 pm

I think scholar days are just smaller and maybe more personal. Last year we did all the usual tour stuff and then had lunch with some faculty.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”