Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:04 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Mine have forms too. Some of the loans will be automatically defered if the lender participates in the loan clearinghouse thing. The school automatically reports your enrollment status. I guess finding out which lenders use the clearinghouse is where to start. :-/

I emailed Ms. Cromer and she said to send the verifications to the Registrar.


If I remember correctly, they won't do anything until after classes start because so many people change schools at the last minute. I think I got mine done shortly after school started, but I still had to make my Sept. payment.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:45 am

Good to know. Thanks!

User avatar
Relientkate
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Relientkate » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm

On carrying books around...
What do most people use, traditional backpacks or rolling backpacks? Do you guys find that your traditional backpacks are large enough to carry your computer and books? I have a neck injury, so I'm hesitant to use a traditional backpack but at the same time, I know that the rollies can interfere with the flow of traffic.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:12 pm

Relientkate wrote:On carrying books around...
What do most people use, traditional backpacks or rolling backpacks? Do you guys find that your traditional backpacks are large enough to carry your computer and books? I have a neck injury, so I'm hesitant to use a traditional backpack but at the same time, I know that the rollies can interfere with the flow of traffic.


A lot depends on your schedule (like how many back to back classes you have) and whether you feel comfortable leaving books in your carrel. The hallways are ridiculously cramped, so a rolling backpack would be less than ideal. Usually, I had my laptop and one casebook in my bag and carried the second casebook in my arms. If you have Ks and Crim back to back, those casebooks are small (compared to torts and civ pro) so you can probably fit both in your bag without it being much of a strain.

On a related note, I will be selling all my 1L casebooks and supplements. Im not sure which classes have gone onto new editions, so if you are interested in getting some cheap used books, PM with your prof and the required text. Price is definitely negotiable.

User avatar
Relientkate
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Relientkate » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm

moandersen wrote:
Relientkate wrote:On carrying books around...
What do most people use, traditional backpacks or rolling backpacks? Do you guys find that your traditional backpacks are large enough to carry your computer and books? I have a neck injury, so I'm hesitant to use a traditional backpack but at the same time, I know that the rollies can interfere with the flow of traffic.


A lot depends on your schedule (like how many back to back classes you have) and whether you feel comfortable leaving books in your carrel. The hallways are ridiculously cramped, so a rolling backpack would be less than ideal. Usually, I had my laptop and one casebook in my bag and carried the second casebook in my arms. If you have Ks and Crim back to back, those casebooks are small (compared to torts and civ pro) so you can probably fit both in your bag without it being much of a strain.

On a related note, I will be selling all my 1L casebooks and supplements. Im not sure which classes have gone onto new editions, so if you are interested in getting some cheap used books, PM with your prof and the required text. Price is definitely negotiable.

Thanks! You'll definitely get some pm's when we finally find out our sections, although Jenny is adamant that even when they are assigned, we could be switched at any time prior to orientation.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 am

Are any of you 2Ls (Mo, TsTyler, etc.) having issues scheduling OCI interviews so as not to conflict with Law Review orientation and/or TA training? Maybe it's just me, but this is ridiculous. The entire point of law school is to get a job, and then they decide to schedule two separate training/orientation sessions during every day of our first OCI session so that we have to pick and choose between which one we do. It looks like we'll just have to miss parts of the training, but one would think that they would've thought this out in advance.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Are any of you 2Ls (Mo, TsTyler, etc.) having issues scheduling OCI interviews so as not to conflict with Law Review orientation and/or TA training? Maybe it's just me, but this is ridiculous. The entire point of law school is to get a job, and then they decide to schedule two separate training/orientation sessions during every day of our first OCI session so that we have to pick and choose between which one we do. It looks like we'll just have to miss parts of the training, but one would think that they would've thought this out in advance.


Ya, that was a pain in the ass. Luckily most of the interviews I landed were for the 23rd, so I scheduled them in the morning before TA training started. Then for the few I had on other days, I tried to schedule them after 3pm. I threw out a small net, so I can see scheduling being a problem for those who applied to most of the firms.

Anyone want to ask career services how many people were offered SA positions last year? Im trying to figure out how much stock to put in OCI.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:38 am

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Are any of you 2Ls (Mo, TsTyler, etc.) having issues scheduling OCI interviews so as not to conflict with Law Review orientation and/or TA training? Maybe it's just me, but this is ridiculous. The entire point of law school is to get a job, and then they decide to schedule two separate training/orientation sessions during every day of our first OCI session so that we have to pick and choose between which one we do. It looks like we'll just have to miss parts of the training, but one would think that they would've thought this out in advance.


Ya, that was a pain in the ass. Luckily most of the interviews I landed were for the 23rd, so I scheduled them in the morning before TA training started. Then for the few I had on other days, I tried to schedule them after 3pm. I threw out a small net, so I can see scheduling being a problem for those who applied to most of the firms.

Anyone want to ask career services how many people were offered SA positions last year? Im trying to figure out how much stock to put in OCI.


I tried to do the same with my scheduling (and I assume that most other people did too), which explains the difficulty in getting an interview in the slots after 3 pm. I'll leave the career services question to someone else. I'm pretty sure I already ask so many questions that they don't like me. :lol:

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Are any of you 2Ls (Mo, TsTyler, etc.) having issues scheduling OCI interviews so as not to conflict with Law Review orientation and/or TA training? Maybe it's just me, but this is ridiculous. The entire point of law school is to get a job, and then they decide to schedule two separate training/orientation sessions during every day of our first OCI session so that we have to pick and choose between which one we do. It looks like we'll just have to miss parts of the training, but one would think that they would've thought this out in advance.


Ya, that was a pain in the ass. Luckily most of the interviews I landed were for the 23rd, so I scheduled them in the morning before TA training started. Then for the few I had on other days, I tried to schedule them after 3pm. I threw out a small net, so I can see scheduling being a problem for those who applied to most of the firms.

Anyone want to ask career services how many people were offered SA positions last year? Im trying to figure out how much stock to put in OCI.


I tried to do the same with my scheduling (and I assume that most other people did too), which explains the difficulty in getting an interview in the slots after 3 pm. I'll leave the career services question to someone else. I'm pretty sure I already ask so many questions that they don't like me. :lol:


I asked today, but I guess only the head honcho knows the numbers. The woman who I have been emailing with over the summer does not know.

Anyone else notice how the # of OCI participants has been slowly shrinking? (Winston, Maynard). And what is with A&B having a resume collect so late? Im pretty sure their SA class will be close to complete by the time they take a look at our resumes. sweet baby jesus im starting to stress about finding a job and being worked to death by the journal. 3L year, please come soon (and with an offer in hand).

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 pm

moandersen wrote:I asked today, but I guess only the head honcho knows the numbers. The woman who I have been emailing with over the summer does not know.

Anyone else notice how the # of OCI participants has been slowly shrinking? (Winston, Maynard). And what is with A&B having a resume collect so late? Im pretty sure their SA class will be close to complete by the time they take a look at our resumes. sweet baby jesus im starting to stress about finding a job and being worked to death by the journal. 3L year, please come soon (and with an offer in hand).


I had noticed the number of participants shrinking as well. It's pretty odd that Winston decided to switch to resume collect. Maynard actually didn't drop -- they just moved to a different date later in September based on what I was told. Either way, you're probably right. It looks like they'll probably have their classes filled/close-to-filled by the time they even consider us.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Another question for you all that are writing fellows/TAs: what is the correct title to list on a resume? I was under the impression that everyone was a TA until I received the email mentioning writing fellows.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:17 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Another question for you all that are writing fellows/TAs: what is the correct title to list on a resume? I was under the impression that everyone was a TA until I received the email mentioning writing fellows.


I think the only difference is how you're paid. I think Writing Fellows are given a stipend, while TA's are paid hourly. (But I could be wrong.) My professor let us know which of us were TAs and which were Writing Fellows.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Are any of you 2Ls (Mo, TsTyler, etc.) having issues scheduling OCI interviews so as not to conflict with Law Review orientation and/or TA training? Maybe it's just me, but this is ridiculous. The entire point of law school is to get a job, and then they decide to schedule two separate training/orientation sessions during every day of our first OCI session so that we have to pick and choose between which one we do. It looks like we'll just have to miss parts of the training, but one would think that they would've thought this out in advance.


Ya, that was a pain in the ass. Luckily most of the interviews I landed were for the 23rd, so I scheduled them in the morning before TA training started. Then for the few I had on other days, I tried to schedule them after 3pm. I threw out a small net, so I can see scheduling being a problem for those who applied to most of the firms.

Anyone want to ask career services how many people were offered SA positions last year? Im trying to figure out how much stock to put in OCI.


I tried to do the same with my scheduling (and I assume that most other people did too), which explains the difficulty in getting an interview in the slots after 3 pm. I'll leave the career services question to someone else. I'm pretty sure I already ask so many questions that they don't like me. :lol:


I asked today, but I guess only the head honcho knows the numbers. The woman who I have been emailing with over the summer does not know.


Anyone else notice how the # of OCI participants has been slowly shrinking? (Winston, Maynard). And what is with A&B having a resume collect so late? Im pretty sure their SA class will be close to complete by the time they take a look at our resumes. sweet baby jesus im starting to stress about finding a job and being worked to death by the journal. 3L year, please come soon (and with an offer in hand).



I like career services.. they have been helpful for me... I want to be a prosecutor and I already have an internship lined up this fall. They were very instrumental in me getting an internship. That being said- I call BS. There is no way they don't know they numbers. I'm guessing they just don't want people to know. All the schools guard those numbers so people can pretend in their head its 100%.

On a more positive note, if you do get a summer job, then I think you are in a great position. According to ATL, a lot of firms are back up to close to 100% offer rate to summer associates.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I like career services.. they have been helpful for me... I want to be a prosecutor and I already have an internship lined up this fall. They were very instrumental in me getting an internship. That being said- I call BS. There is no way they don't know they numbers. I'm guessing they just don't want people to know. All the schools guard those numbers so people can pretend in their head its 100%.

On a more positive note, if you do get a summer job, then I think you are in a great position. According to ATL, a lot of firms are back up to close to 100% offer rate to summer associates.


I also have had (for the most part) a positive experience with career services. They never gave me a professional mentor, but Im over it. Ya, Im pretty sure everyone in the career services office knows the numbers because Im sure they were shared at some point. I just went golfing with a former 3L and he said that if he had to guess, it would be less than 10 people in his class got an offer through oci. Of course times have changed a little since then, but my guess is that no more than 10% would get offers.

As for the SA offer rates, those are more reflective of large firms not in the south. I believe southern firm offer rates have always been ~50% or a little better - even when times were good. And thats why splitting summers is so common down here.

I know this is a no-no, but forgive me for a second. Has anyone else snagged an interview with Skadden? Im thinking I will walk in to the interview and ask them to sell themselves to me. No way in hell they would hire me, so im trying to find a way to spice up the interview.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Is Walker gone? Just checked the bookstore online to see what my civ pro book is approx worth and none of the listed civ pro profs were Walker. Anyone hear anything about this?

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:34 pm

moandersen wrote:Is Walker gone? Just checked the bookstore online to see what my civ pro book is approx worth and none of the listed civ pro profs were Walker. Anyone hear anything about this?


He's still there. He's teaching Federal Jurisdiction and International Law this semester according to WIN, and he's still listed on the faculty website. Maybe he just wanted a break from Civ. Pro. and 1Ls.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 pm

moandersen wrote:Is Walker gone? Just checked the bookstore online to see what my civ pro book is approx worth and none of the listed civ pro profs were Walker. Anyone hear anything about this?


Taha, who I heard was taking time off, is teaching Sections 3, 4, and 5. It'll be weird to have them no one taking Walker for Civ Pro.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Are any 2Ls taking Criminal Procedure or Secured Transactions? I'm contemplating taking one of them but don't want to be the only 2L in the class.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Are any 2Ls taking Criminal Procedure or Secured Transactions? I'm contemplating taking one of them but don't want to be the only 2L in the class.


Im taking the 4 credit crim pro class with king (I think)

placencia
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby placencia » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:41 am

My general attitude about OCI was that my job interviews come first. I did what I could to try and avoid taking up LR training time, but in the end, if missing 25 minutes of training for each of a few interviews means that I can't perform well on the journal, then this is the first training in the history of the world that is as essential and functional as it pretends to be. The journals knew the OCI schedules in advance and chose their times anyway. They also know that the people who are on the journals are most likely to get the OCI slots, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

As for Taha, he didn't get the job he was looking for in CA, otherwise he would have been gone. He planned on taking the year to be with his wife, but that was all conditional on certain job opportunities.

As for Skadden, I know of others who have been invited to interview, but I'm not sure if you mean Delaware or NYC. I'm speaking of NYC, since there are definitely people who got the OCI spots for Delaware. On that note, I wonder what it means that the lawyer John Edwards just fired is from Skadden. I don't know about the idea of spicing things up, though, just go in with confidence and explain why you'd be a solid choice as a summer associate. If they don't want or appreciate you for the value you bring to the firm, then screw them. What I can say is that I am aware the Delaware office places well from Wake, according to what I've heard, but the NYC office is a different league altogether. You couldn't pay me enough to work for Skadden, though, it's just not in line with my career goals.

User avatar
LadyTarHeelian
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Just wanted to put out a reminder about the Book Exchange on WIN (under InfoCentral). Ran into a lot of 1Ls at the Bookstore today and no one knew about it. Some of the books are new editions and will have to be bought new but there are several that can be bought used from 2Ls and 3Ls for a lot cheaper than the Bookstore. :D

User avatar
Relientkate
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Relientkate » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Okay 2L/3Ls, help a newbie 1L out if you're feeling charitable.

When we're assigned to read notes sections that mention specific cases, how much attention should we be paying to these cases? Should we include them in notes and outlines, or are they just for general background understanding? Or is this dependent on the professor?

User avatar
girlonfire
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby girlonfire » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:48 pm

sit down relientkate. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Depends on the professor.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Relientkate wrote:Okay 2L/3Ls, help a newbie 1L out if you're feeling charitable.

When we're assigned to read notes sections that mention specific cases, how much attention should we be paying to these cases? Should we include them in notes and outlines, or are they just for general background understanding? Or is this dependent on the professor?


It definitely depends on the professor. In general, they're just for background information, but I've had two professors (Davis in particular for contracts) who tested on information found in the notes section.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chicago-gunner123, Snowjon and 5 guests