Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NarwhalPunter

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby NarwhalPunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Just out of curiosity, did anyone ever hear of the exact cutoffs for the different ranks? Having them on here might be helpful for next year's class (the NALP numbers for graduating classes are a little misleading because so many 2L and 3L courses aren't curved).

I heard that 50% was 85.4. Haven't heard a hard number on top 10%, 25%, etc.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Just out of curiosity, did anyone ever hear of the exact cutoffs for the different ranks? Having them on here might be helpful for next year's class (the NALP numbers for graduating classes are a little misleading because so many 2L and 3L courses aren't curved).

Top 10% is slightly below 91.5. My guess would be that a 91.25 (or maybe even a little higher) puts you outside of the top 10%. That's the only cutoff I'm aware of though.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:17 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
NarwhalPunter wrote:Just out of curiosity, did anyone ever hear of the exact cutoffs for the different ranks? Having them on here might be helpful for next year's class (the NALP numbers for graduating classes are a little misleading because so many 2L and 3L courses aren't curved).

Top 10% is slightly below 91.5. My guess would be that a 91.25 (or maybe even a little higher) puts you outside of the top 10%. That's the only cutoff I'm aware of though.

snap. thats high as hell. What was the cutoff after first semester? I think I will finally get my transcript tomorrow, so Ill hopefully be able to report where the 25% cutoff is at.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:59 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

snap. thats high as hell. What was the cutoff after first semester? I think I will finally get my transcript tomorrow, so Ill hopefully be able to report where the 25% cutoff is at.

I think it was 91.6 first semester.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 am

NCtoDC wrote:I know it was mentioned a while back, but do current students have a veterinarian recommendation?? I think I remember someone saying they had dealt with a bad vet and I want to make sure I don't take my animals there :-)

I take my cats here: http://www.reynoldaveterinaryhospital.com/ I've had good experiences.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
boom_cs wrote:Probably already been asked but how does the Law Review select the staff?

Do you mean how do people make law review in general, or are you specifically asking about folks like editors? (I think they're both technically called "staff"). To just be a member of the staff, you grade on if you're in the top 10% after 1L and then another 10% write-on. Also, if you make the top 10% during 2L, you automatically grade on. For editors and stuff, I have no idea. Here's a link to the LR website:

http://lawreview.law.wfu.edu/staff/joining/

To join the editorial board for Law Review, you apply for each position and then interview. Then, the current board sits down and discusses who should get it. I've heard that they do this late at night and don't leave until all positions have been decided. Guess that would be an incentive to make decisions quickly.

As a 2L on Law Review or as a 3L who isn't on the editorial board, you do cite checking and write a note or comment. If you are on the editorial board, you don't have to do those things because you're time is taken up by other things.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:04 pm

top 25% is at ~88.5. I do not have the distinction of being the gatekeeper, but i was super close (and on the right side of the 25). :)

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 am

tstyler98 wrote:To join the editorial board for Law Review, you apply for each position and then interview. Then, the current board sits down and discusses who should get it. I've heard that they do this late at night and don't leave until all positions have been decided. Guess that would be an incentive to make decisions quickly.

This is how it goes down. The meeting went to 4am this year. 2Ls who make law review and want a board position: hustle out there! For the fancy meeting, they put together a slide show that has all of your spading scores, and all other things that you have done - when you volunteered for extra work, if you submitted your note in the fall (which can help a lot, because most (read: nearly all) 2Ls put it off until spring because fall semester is so busy, but realistically, publication chances are better in the fall, so keep that in mind!), etc., and all of that is taken into account. Board positions are a hell of a lot of work, but really can help if you strike out at OCI. This year, both the incoming EIC and ME got V50ish SA positions in late March/early April after getting their positions after striking out at OCI.

Also, congrats to all the 1Ls who did well first year! While 2L is A LOT more work (seriously, you will laugh at yourself for thinking you were busy first year), once you know what you are doing (and you clearly already do), it gets a little easier. And I really think the subject matter is much more interesting, as it should be, since you pick your classes. But still even the stuff you have to (or should take) like Criminal Procedure and Evidence are so much better than Property and the like.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:To join the editorial board for Law Review, you apply for each position and then interview. Then, the current board sits down and discusses who should get it. I've heard that they do this late at night and don't leave until all positions have been decided. Guess that would be an incentive to make decisions quickly.

This is how it goes down. The meeting went to 4am this year. 2Ls who make law review and want a board position: hustle out there! For the fancy meeting, they put together a slide show that has all of your spading scores, and all other things that you have done - when you volunteered for extra work, if you submitted your note in the fall (which can help a lot, because most (read: nearly all) 2Ls put it off until spring because fall semester is so busy, but realistically, publication chances are better in the fall, so keep that in mind!), etc., and all of that is taken into account. Board positions are a hell of a lot of work, but really can help if you strike out at OCI. This year, both the incoming EIC and ME got V50ish SA positions in late March/early April after getting their positions after striking out at OCI.

Also, congrats to all the 1Ls who did well first year! While 2L is A LOT more work (seriously, you will laugh at yourself for thinking you were busy first year), once you know what you are doing (and you clearly already do), it gets a little easier. And I really think the subject matter is much more interesting, as it should be, since you pick your classes. But still even the stuff you have to (or should take) like Criminal Procedure and Evidence are so much better than Property and the like.

As always, thank you for the very helpful post. You and Lishi have been so awesome on here the last few years.

Would you mind talking about the note a little bit and what it entails? For example, can we choose the topic, or is it assigned? What length is expected, etc.?

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:50 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Would you mind talking about the note a little bit and what it entails? For example, can we choose the topic, or is it assigned? What length is expected, etc.?

I was not on L. Rev. (I was on JLP), but my SO who was fancy high up editor and is sitting across the table from me says: 25 pages (which excludes footnotes), double spaced. You pick the topic, but the topic must be approved by the Notes and Comments editors. If you choose to do an empirical study, you can work with a partner, but the page limit remains the same.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:55 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
NarwhalPunter wrote:Would you mind talking about the note a little bit and what it entails? For example, can we choose the topic, or is it assigned? What length is expected, etc.?

I was not on L. Rev. (I was on JLP), but my SO who was fancy high up editor and is sitting across the table from me says: 25 pages (which excludes footnotes), double spaced. You pick the topic, but the topic must be approved by the Notes and Comments editors. If you choose to do an empirical study, you can work with a partner, but the page limit remains the same.

Perfection. Gracias.

VA Politco

Postby VA Politco » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm

NCtoDC wrote:I know it was mentioned a while back, but do current students have a veterinarian recommendation?? I think I remember someone saying they had dealt with a bad vet and I want to make sure I don't take my animals there :-)

I take my puppy to http://www.oldtownvet.com/ and they have been great. No idea how they compare with anyone else, but the vets and staff are very nice and helpful. It's about...10 minutes from campus maybe?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Since most (all?) of you rising 2Ls are in the top 10%, any idea as to how many plan to transfer? In an effort to torture myself, I have been trying to figure out the probability of grading onto law review. Gracias. :mrgreen:

VA Politco

Postby VA Politco » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:45 pm

moandersen wrote:Since most (all?) of you rising 2Ls are in the top 10%, any idea as to how many plan to transfer? In an effort to torture myself, I have been trying to figure out the probability of grading onto law review. Gracias. :mrgreen:

I'd guess you would need about 20 people to transfer or drop out in order to grade on (you're right around 25%, right?). That said, I've heard rumors of maybe three or for people transferring...I'm certainly not going anywhere, but good luck! I'd imagine that if enough transfer out so you can grade on that I'll get awfully close to #1 by default, haha.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 am

VA Politco wrote:
moandersen wrote:Since most (all?) of you rising 2Ls are in the top 10%, any idea as to how many plan to transfer? In an effort to torture myself, I have been trying to figure out the probability of grading onto law review. Gracias. :mrgreen:

I'd guess you would need about 20 people to transfer or drop out in order to grade on (you're right around 25%, right?). That said, I've heard rumors of maybe three or for people transferring...I'm certainly not going anywhere, but good luck! I'd imagine that if enough transfer out so you can grade on that I'll get awfully close to #1 by default, haha.

When are transfers and dropouts included in the overall class rank? Would they count them now, or wait until after the fall semester? For example, if your class rank is 10/162 now (not me) and two higher students transfer and two lower students drop out, does your rank automatically become 8/158, or does it remain 10/162 until after the fall when grades are recalculated?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 am

VA Politco wrote:

oops. I meant to put 'write on' instead of 'grade on' because I know there is no way in hell I'm grading on. my bad. either way, any word on the # of students leaving?

also anyone else tired of doing reseach and writing everday? my brain needs a break.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am

moandersen wrote: also anyone else tired of doing reseach and writing everday? my brain needs a break.

I'm tired of it, but not nearly as tired of it as I was of school. I'll take this any day.

VA Politco

Postby VA Politco » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:01 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
VA Politco wrote:

When are transfers and dropouts included in the overall class rank? Would they count them now, or wait until after the fall semester? For example, if your class rank is 10/162 now (not me) and two higher students transfer and two lower students drop out, does your rank automatically become 8/158, or does it remain 10/162 until after the fall when grades are recalculated?

I'm not exactly sure when rank/grades get recalculated, but it's my understanding that people who transfer in are placed at the bottom of the class until they have grades.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Does anyone have any information regarding the externship program in D.C.?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:37 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Does anyone have any information regarding the externship program in D.C.?

WhenPigsFly is the person to talk to about this. See page 14 of this thread where she talks about it.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:13 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Does anyone have any information regarding the externship program in D.C.?

WhenPigsFly is the person to talk to about this. See page 14 of this thread where she talks about it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:20 pm

In addition to my ramblings a few pages back, you can now watch the fancy promotional video for the program! (Oooh! Aaah! It's actually kinda corny, but still.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8J8BtiaAwI&feature=youtu.be

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am

Did you guys have to ask your undergrad loan lenders for a deferment or was it automatic?

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 am

NCtoDC wrote:Did you guys have to ask your undergrad loan lenders for a deferment or was it automatic?

Mine have a form on their website that I have to get the law school to fill out.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Mine have forms too. Some of the loans will be automatically defered if the lender participates in the loan clearinghouse thing. The school automatically reports your enrollment status. I guess finding out which lenders use the clearinghouse is where to start. :-/

I emailed Ms. Cromer and she said to send the verifications to the Registrar.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”