Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
boom_cs

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby boom_cs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:44 am

jetergrl2ss wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Any of you have any insight on the Georgetown Condos or Ramsgate Condos? They are near the intersection of Coliseum Dr. and University Pkwy.

Drove through Georgetown but didn't have an appointment to see the inside of a unit. They look ok, but the barbed wired fences gave me the impression that the neighborhood may not be the greatest. Check it out though, I'm definitely judging it by the cover.

Yeah, I have driven through there as well. That is why I was asking; the barbed wire freaked me out a little too, lol. I was thinking that could be because of the golf course??? According to the W-S crime statistics page there doesn't seem to be any trouble there. I wonder if you can call the Police Dept. and ask them specifically if it is a good place?

Sure wouldn't hurt to try!

My parents live very close to there and I do not think that it is a great place. I would advise against living there but that is more of a feeling from growing up really close to that area and not on anything measurable.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Rank is available.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:41 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Rank is available.

any idea on cut-offs? I'm guessing its not published. time to call the registrar.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 pm

moandersen wrote:
NarwhalPunter wrote:Rank is available.

any idea on cut-offs? I'm guessing its not published. time to call the registrar.

Yeah, unfortunately they didn't give us any kind of a reference sheet.

The distribution seems to have tightened up a bunch though.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:44 pm

hopefully there was some tightening up around the top 25% mark. I know my new average was approx. 0.2 off of first semesters cut off.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:57 pm

boom_cs wrote:
My parents live very close to there and I do not think that it is a great place. I would advise against living there but that is more of a feeling from growing up really close to that area and not on anything measurable.

Thanks for the info. I did not have a great feeling about it...usually when places are priced at "too good to be true" prices that is a red flag.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:14 am

OCI firms are up. Doesn't look too bad. Most of the firms are from NC as would be expected, but there are plenty of out-of-state firms too.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:19 am

PirateCap'n wrote:OCI firms are up. Doesn't look too bad. Most of the firms are from NC as would be expected, but there are plenty of out-of-state firms too.

Agreed. Looks like there are 45 unique employers signed up so far, and I would guesstimate that about two thirds of them are NALP firms.

Kind of cool knowing we've got a shot at a Skadden interview.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:43 am

NarwhalPunter wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:OCI firms are up. Doesn't look too bad. Most of the firms are from NC as would be expected, but there are plenty of out-of-state firms too.

Agreed. Looks like there are 45 unique employers signed up so far, and I would guesstimate that about two thirds of them are NALP firms.

Wow, sounds promising :-) Good luck to you all!!

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 am

NCtoDC wrote:
NarwhalPunter wrote:

Thanks...but I should probably clarify that this is almost identical to last year's list, and down from 110+ in 2007-2008. The hope is that many of the bigger firms will be taking on, say 6 associates this summer, instead of maybe 4 last summer.

I expect the process to break down as follows:

Top 10% will feast and get all the interviews they can handle. Interviews > 20.

Top 11-20% will snag the occasional interview with a market paying firm and receive a decent number of looks from the smaller, local firms. Probably 10-15 interviews if they want to work in NC, with potential for a few more if they write-on to law review.

Top 21-33% will get a few looks from small, local firms. Interviews < 10.

Overall, I will guess that maybe 20 people will get an offer from OCI. It's still a nasty, grim market out there. Most of the rebound is isolated to the T14 because the firms can be uber selective.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:02 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
NarwhalPunter wrote:Agreed. Looks like there are 45 unique employers signed up so far, and I would guesstimate that about two thirds of them are NALP firms.

Thanks...but I should probably clarify that this is almost identical to last year's list, and down from 110+ in 2007-2008. The hope is that many of the bigger firms will be taking on, say 6 associates this summer, instead of maybe 4 last summer.

I expect the process to break down as follows:

Top 10% will feast and get all the interviews they can handle. Interviews > 20.

Top 11-20% will snag the occasional interview with a market paying firm and receive a decent number of looks from the smaller, local firms. Probably 10-15 interviews if they want to work in NC, with potential for a few more if they write-on to law review.

Top 21-33% will get a few looks from small, local firms. Interviews < 10.

Overall, I will guess that maybe 20 people will get an offer from OCI. It's still a nasty, grim market out there. Most of the rebound is isolated to the T14 because the firms can be uber selective.

Yeah. Skadden is pretty surprising, but cool nonetheless. I definitely wouldn't expect much to come of it though. As for your predictions, I would be perfectly happy with that situation :D

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Im going to go out on a limb and guess skadden wont eventually hire anyone from wake, but it would be nice if they have a few callbacks. The list doesnt seem exhaustive because I quickly looked through and didnt see Womble. There is no way Womble would not do OCI at wake.

I hope I do a little better than just the small local firms. I would really like to work at a firm in the 100-250 attorney range. If I write on to LR (slim to none chance) then it might have a chance at some of the regional heavyweights like MVA and Parker Poe.

placencia

Postby placencia » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:26 pm

You didn't look at the entire list. Two of the dates roll over onto a second page, which is where you would find Womble. Also, Skaaden likely won't hire for its New York office from Wake, and they are only doing a resume collect in case they find a phenomenal candidate. However, they are interviewing on campus for their Delaware office, and you could have a Wake person get the position there.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Womble is only participating in Resume Collect this year. When I interviewed with them for a 1L spot in the Spring, their recruiting coordinator stated that they would be looking to fill all but a couple of their NC spots in the future exclusively through 1L OCIs, and they would plug the remaining holes by making people come to them.

And yes, we have a decent shot at Skadden in Wilmington. (1) It's expensive as hell to send attorneys to do OCI- they won't send them if they have no intention of evaluating someone from Wake (2) We have two alums in that office.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Are you guys using writing samples from your summer work or from LAWR for OCI? I'd prefer to use my LAWR sample because it's better than anything I'll have from the summer, but I don't want to stick out in a bad way by doing that.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Ah. I didnt even think to check the resume collect to see if Womble was there. Its interesting that they are going a different route and hiring lots of 1Ls and basically skipping the traditional, hire at 2L OCI route. Hiring model of the future?

I didnt say it would be impossible for someone from wake to snag a job at skadden - more that if I was a betting man, I would put my money on 'no.' Didnt mean to bust anyones bubble. :wink:

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Are you guys using writing samples from your summer work or from LAWR for OCI? I'd prefer to use my LAWR sample because it's better than anything I'll have from the summer, but I don't want to stick out in a bad way by doing that.

I'll be using something from LAWR.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Quick Question: I have not been inside of any of the gyms at WF for about 10 years, How are their exercise facilities and basketball courts? Also how crowded is the gym during the day?

Any info about the exercise facilities would be appreciated.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:07 pm

boom_cs wrote:Quick Question: I have not been inside of any of the gyms at WF for about 10 years, How are their exercise facilities and basketball courts? Also how crowded is the gym during the day?

I don't use the basketball courts, but the gym leaves something to be desired. It's small and you'll sometimes have to wait for machines during peak hours. If you're a runner, they have about 7 treadmills, 3 of which are usually out of service at any given time. It gets frustrating. But...it's free.

I have some friends who paid to join to other gyms. I'm cheap, so I go to the school one either early morning or late at night.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:22 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:
boom_cs wrote:Quick Question: I have not been inside of any of the gyms at WF for about 10 years, How are their exercise facilities and basketball courts? Also how crowded is the gym during the day?

I don't use the basketball courts, but the gym leaves something to be desired. It's small and you'll sometimes have to wait for machines during peak hours. If you're a runner, they have about 7 treadmills, 3 of which are usually out of service at any given time. It gets frustrating. But...it's free.

I have some friends who paid to join to other gyms. I'm cheap, so I go to the school one either early morning or late at night.

Only seven treadmills... That could prove to be a problem.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:04 am

I know it was mentioned a while back, but do current students have a veterinarian recommendation?? I think I remember someone saying they had dealt with a bad vet and I want to make sure I don't take my animals there :-)

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 am

Probably already been asked but how does the Law Review select the staff?

placencia

Postby placencia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:35 am

Duck, duck, goose.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm

boom_cs wrote:Probably already been asked but how does the Law Review select the staff?

Do you mean how do people make law review in general, or are you specifically asking about folks like editors? (I think they're both technically called "staff"). To just be a member of the staff, you grade on if you're in the top 10% after 1L and then another 10% write-on. Also, if you make the top 10% during 2L, you automatically grade on. For editors and stuff, I have no idea. Here's a link to the LR website:

http://lawreview.law.wfu.edu/staff/joining/

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
boom_cs wrote:Probably already been asked but how does the Law Review select the staff?

Do you mean how do people make law review in general, or are you specifically asking about folks like editors? (I think they're both technically called "staff"). To just be a member of the staff, you grade on if you're in the top 10% after 1L and then another 10% write-on. Also, if you make the top 10% during 2L, you automatically grade on. For editors and stuff, I have no idea. Here's a link to the LR website:

http://lawreview.law.wfu.edu/staff/joining/

Thanks for the info. I like my chances with Duck Duck Goose better

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”