Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jdemmitt

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Mon May 30, 2011 2:18 pm

My so and I really liked sugar creek/trace. Good floor plans and price, and we had good experiences talking to people on the phone.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon May 30, 2011 4:19 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Any of you have any insight into the Sugar Creek/Trace apartment complexes?

NO PETS!! :x

but it's so affordable!!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon May 30, 2011 9:38 pm

girlonfire wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Any of you have any insight into the Sugar Creek/Trace apartment complexes?

NO PETS!! :x

but it's so affordable!!

Well, that takes them off the table....

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue May 31, 2011 9:09 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Mo- care to share how you landed an SA job as a 1L?

I am a non-URM minority and was able to secure a firm job through the North Carolina bar association's diversity program. So I guess you can say I had an 'easier' route than most, but it was still very competitive. Each law school in NC selected 3 minorities to represent the school, and then you interviewed with both firms and corporations.

I dont work at a big law firm, but its of respectable size (~100 attorneys), and has three locations in NC.

Pretty much to get a 1L SA job out of wake you need to be either: 1. top 10% and interview well; or 2. a minority in the top 1/3. (other wake students feel free correct me if Im off with my approximations)

I know no one asked me, but since you guys are talking about places to live, I live in The Pines and enjoy it. Its quiet, cheap(er), and clean. If you have $$, are younger and looking for spring break at the pool on the weekends, then the crown apts are where its at. if your older, boring, or married (im all three), then The Pines is a good choice. Plus there are great walking trails right outside the complex to walk the dogs.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 pm

moandersen wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Mo- care to share how you landed an SA job as a 1L?

I am a non-URM minority and was able to secure a firm job through the North Carolina bar association's diversity program. So I guess you can say I had an 'easier' route than most, but it was still very competitive. Each law school in NC selected 3 minorities to represent the school, and then you interviewed with both firms and corporations.

I dont work at a big law firm, but its of respectable size (~100 attorneys), and has three locations in NC.

Pretty much to get a 1L SA job out of wake you need to be either: 1. top 10% and interview well; or 2. a minority in the top 1/3. (other wake students feel free correct me if Im off with my approximations)
I know no one asked me, but since you guys are talking about places to live, I live in The Pines and enjoy it. Its quiet, cheap(er), and clean. If you have $$, are younger and looking for spring break at the pool on the weekends, then the crown apts are where its at. if your older, boring, or married (im all three), then The Pines is a good choice. Plus there are great walking trails right outside the complex to walk the dogs.

I think this is pretty close, but I'd add that you need to have significant ties to NC if you're seeking a non-diversity 1L SA position. I believe there were 4 people in the top 10% who snagged market paying gigs ($1300+/wk), and every single one of them at least attended undergad in NC or were state natives. That said, probably a dozen or so people were able to get jobs at smaller firms paying anywhere from $600-$800/wk, usually based on prior connections. The rest are working either for free or for close to minimum wage.

FWIW, I sent out 200+ apps, interview well, have good work experience, and was unable to land an SA gig in NC. I had one offer out of state but declined because I am locked into my lease until August and the pay was not high enough to cover 2 rents.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Who's taking bets on when grades will be out? Based on last semester, I'm going with between 4-5:00 pm on Friday...Just right to start off the weekend.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Sounds about right. Won't keep me from enduring F5 purgatory all day tomorrow, though. GOOD OR BAD, I JUST WANNA KNOW.

How's summer treating you? I just noticed we have a home game against Notre Dame this Fall...pretty stoked for that one.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:41 pm

How do we law students go about getting tix to games?? Are they discounted for us? We we have anything cool, like a reserved section or bleechers?? That's wishful thinking, but what's the deal? I want to go to as many fb games as possible!!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 pm

girlonfire wrote:How do we law students go about getting tix to games?? Are they discounted for us? We we have anything cool, like a reserved section or bleechers?? That's wishful thinking, but what's the deal? I want to go to as many fb games as possible!!

Students get free tickets to both football and basketball games. There is a student section at both. It's usually not a problem to get tickets to any of the games. However, they will do a lottery for certain big basketball games (like the Duke game). I went to all but 1 football game, and I went to 3 or 4 basketball games.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
girlonfire wrote:How do we law students go about getting tix to games?? Are they discounted for us? We we have anything cool, like a reserved section or bleechers?? That's wishful thinking, but what's the deal? I want to go to as many fb games as possible!!

Students get free tickets to both football and basketball games. There is a student section at both. It's usually not a problem to get tickets to any of the games. However, they will do a lottery for certain big basketball games (like the Duke game). I went to all but 1 football game, and I went to 3 or 4 basketball games.

Awesome!! So I'm counting on u to take me to my first game & introduce me to the scene :wink:
What's the situation w bringing non-wfu guests into the student section? Is it possible?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Sounds about right. Won't keep me from enduring F5 purgatory all day tomorrow, though. GOOD OR BAD, I JUST WANNA KNOW.

How's summer treating you? I just noticed we have a home game against Notre Dame this Fall...pretty stoked for that one.

Summer's great. Working and making money sure beats class (mainly Con Law and Property) any day of the week. How about yourself? I'm definitely looking forward to the ND game too. I'm pretty sure they'll end up stomping Wake, but it'll be worth checking out anyway. I know no grades will be out tomorrow, but, like you, I'll be hitting the refresh button every few minutes.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:12 pm

girlonfire wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

Awesome!! So I'm counting on u to take me to my first game & introduce me to the scene :wink:
What's the situation w bringing non-wfu guests into the student section? Is it possible?

I know you're not technically supposed to bring in guests, but then I also know that several people did it without any trouble last year. I think a lot of it just depends on the kind of mood that the ticket folks are in. To answer your question, it's definitely possible.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:13 am

girlonfire wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

Definitely!!! I'd love to take you and whoever else wants to come (although I think I won't be in town for the first home game). There is usually lots of tailgating going on beforehand too.

There is a separate entrance for students using student tickets for football games. You have to show a student ID. I never tried taking a non-student, so I can't comment on it. Sometimes they'd look at the ID, and sometimes it was just a glance to see that you had a student ID. If they had a ticket for another part of the stadium, they could certainly come over and sit in the student section. No one really checks.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:49 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Who's taking bets on when grades will be out? Based on last semester, I'm going with between 4-5:00 pm on Friday...Just right to start off the weekend.

Just got a grade (I think) in Civ Pro II. Happy hour on the firms dime has clouded my judgment, but I think it is good. Prof emailed the class. Need...to...sober...up....

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:10 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Who's taking bets on when grades will be out? Based on last semester, I'm going with between 4-5:00 pm on Friday...Just right to start off the weekend.

Just got a grade (I think) in Civ Pro II. Happy hour on the firms dime has clouded my judgment, but I think it is good. Prof emailed the class. Need...to...sober...up....

Good to hear (I think?)! Still nothing for me.....and still not really counting on anything until tomorrow either.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:17 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Good to hear (I think?)! Still nothing for me.....and still not really counting on anything until tomorrow either.

Ya, I pretty much calculated my LAWR grade, so just waiting on property, con law, and contracts.... The ride back to w-s tomorrow will either be a joyous 1h 45 minutes, or 1h 45min of /kill self.

0Ls, try not to think about how your grades directly correlate to your immediate and to some extent career earning potential. I have many grey hairs and quite possibly an ulcer.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:22 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Ya, I pretty much calculated my LAWR grade, so just waiting on property, con law, and contracts.... The ride back to w-s tomorrow will either be a joyous 1h 45 minutes, or 1h 45min of /kill self.

0Ls, try not to think about how your grades directly correlate to your immediate and to some extent career earning potential. I have many grey hairs and quite possibly an ulcer.

So, stupid question, but is the grade up on WIN, or did your professor just email it to you? Also, the bolded is so very sadly true. Essentially 1 year of exams dictate the rest of our lives.......but don't let that scare you :twisted:

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:So, stupid question, but is the grade up on WIN, or did your professor just email it to you? Also, the bolded is so very sadly true. Essentially 1 year of exams dictate the rest of our lives.......but don't let that scare you :twisted:

Sorry, I guess my initial post wasnt exactly crystal clear. thanks to some chick fil a, I can now see straight. The prof emailed the class a grade chart.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 pm

They had better post them tomorrow. My fragile sanity can't make it through the weekend.

Also, does anyone else remember Career Services saying that on June 3 we would be able to see which firms are coming to OCI? I am pretty sure it was at the same meeting where they handed out the sheet with the interview program dates and talked to us about the write-on.

If so...big day.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:They had better post them tomorrow. My fragile sanity can't make it through the weekend.

Also, does anyone else remember Career Services saying that on June 3 we would be able to see which firms are coming to OCI? I am pretty sure it was at the same meeting where they handed out the sheet with the interview program dates and talked to us about the write-on.

If so...big day.

Can't say that I remember them saying that, but, if they do let us know, it will either be a great day that lets us know what we have to look forward to at OCI or a soul-crushing moment that leaves us (or maybe just me) crying ourselves to sleep tomorrow night knowing that we'll never have a job. Sounds like fun!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:They had better post them tomorrow. My fragile sanity can't make it through the weekend.

If so...big day.

you can check NALP for some of the firms coming. Unfortunately, not many unique employers there. Hopefully, a good amount of mid-sized, non-NALP firms come to OCI....

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Yeah, here's to hoping for a decent increase over what's been showing on Nalp since the Fall. Maybe some of those who stopped coming when the economy did a swan dive will start to trickle back in this year.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:25 am

GRADES ARE UP!!!!!

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:38 am

Any reported incidents of violence or self aggression yet? How are the bars, half overrun with sobbing students and half overrun with celebrators? Pirate, can you tell us what the streets are like?!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 am

jdemmitt wrote:Any reported incidents of violence or self aggression yet? How are the bars, half overrun with sobbing students and half overrun with celebrators? Pirate, can you tell us what the streets are like?!

THEY CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! :lol: Only a few flash mobs so far. Nothing too horrible yet. But, wait till tonight! That's when it gets interesting.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”