Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whenpigsfly

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby whenpigsfly » Fri May 06, 2011 3:43 pm

moandersen wrote:any 3Ls care to estimate how many in your class will have a full time legal job upon graduation? any 2Ls want to estimate how many have paying summer jobs? I was given some approximates, but am looking for some confirmation. If the % is low enough to scare the 0Ls away, feel free to pm me. Im just trying to get a feel of the situation. Thanks.

For the graduating class, I'd put it between 45-50%, but I have no hard data to confirm that. But, doing a quick count of who I know is employed, I'd say 45ish percent might be close to accurate. But, the "9 months out" stat will be not as scary for sure. I know someone who got a job this week, and others who have had interviews in the last week, so things are still happening. But, considering how bad OCI was for those in the Class of 2011, I think it could be A LOT worse.

But, from all that I have heard, the 2L class is doing quite well. Lots more biglaw SA positions with a variety of V100 firms, so that's good. Overall, hiring does seem to be picking up, so the Class of 2013 and beyond shouldn't stress too much.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
moandersen wrote:any 3Ls care to estimate how many in your class will have a full time legal job upon graduation? any 2Ls want to estimate how many have paying summer jobs? I was given some approximates, but am looking for some confirmation. If the % is low enough to scare the 0Ls away, feel free to pm me. Im just trying to get a feel of the situation. Thanks.

For the graduating class, I'd put it between 45-50%, but I have no hard data to confirm that. But, doing a quick count of who I know is employed, I'd say 45ish percent might be close to accurate. But, the "9 months out" stat will be not as scary for sure. I know someone who got a job this week, and others who have had interviews in the last week, so things are still happening. But, considering how bad OCI was for those in the Class of 2011, I think it could be A LOT worse.

But, from all that I have heard, the 2L class is doing quite well. Lots more biglaw SA positions with a variety of V100 firms, so that's good. Overall, hiring does seem to be picking up, so the Class of 2013 and beyond shouldn't stress too much.

How did you fare with your fellowship???

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Fri May 06, 2011 4:21 pm

NCtoDC wrote:How did you fare with your fellowship???

Unfortunately, I'm still (not so patiently) waiting to hear. I had 5 interviews at the job fair 2 weeks ago, so hopefully one of those works out. But, there's still a chance I hear before graduation so I can help the employment stats out!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri May 06, 2011 4:27 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:How did you fare with your fellowship???

Unfortunately, I'm still (not so patiently) waiting to hear. I had 5 interviews at the job fair 2 weeks ago, so hopefully one of those works out. But, there's still a chance I hear before graduation so I can help the employment stats out!

Gosh, waiting is the worst!! I hope something pans out for you soon :-)

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue May 10, 2011 11:36 am

Hey 1ls, did you guys get a wake blanket last year after paying deposit and if so, when? Or was it hats?

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue May 10, 2011 11:59 am

jdemmitt wrote:Hey 1ls, did you guys get a wake blanket last year after paying deposit and if so, when? Or was it hats?

:lol: :lol: @Jdem being bent out of shape about the blankets!!

but i'd like to know too hahahahaha

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue May 10, 2011 1:26 pm

girlonfire wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:Hey 1ls, did you guys get a wake blanket last year after paying deposit and if so, when? Or was it hats?

I think most of us got a blanket. It will come later on in the summer in the mail. I want to say it was around June when it can last year, but I could be way off. Either way, they don't really give you any notice or anything. It'll just arrive in the mail one day. We also got hats, but we got them during orientation (along with coffee mugs and some other goodies).

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue May 10, 2011 2:56 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
girlonfire wrote:

I think most of us got a blanket. It will come later on in the summer in the mail. I want to say it was around June when it can last year, but I could be way off. Either way, they don't really give you any notice or anything. It'll just arrive in the mail one day. We also got hats, but we got them during orientation (along with coffee mugs and some other goodies).

This means I can hide my FSU mug in far back of my cabinets...lol I think I may still rock my awesome hot pink FSU pen though...it has a highlighter on the other end.

paratrooper06

Postby paratrooper06 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Dang guys... school hasn't even started and I already feel behind... WTF is ITT? (I ask this realizing I look dumb, lol)

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue May 10, 2011 4:56 pm

paratrooper06 wrote:Dang guys... school hasn't even started and I already feel behind... WTF is ITT? (I ask this realizing I look dumb, lol)

We ask current Wake students questions ITT. The class of 2014 is not really taking questions, we are the ones asking :-)
Pirate Cap'n and TSTyler have been uber helpful and there are several other current students that have answered a ton of our questions. It would be worth your time to read back through the past 10 pages or so.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
paratrooper06 wrote:Dang guys... school hasn't even started and I already feel behind... WTF is ITT? (I ask this realizing I look dumb, lol)

We ask current Wake students questions ITT. The class of 2014 is not really taking questions, we are the ones asking :-)
Pirate Cap'n and TSTyler have been uber helpful and there are several other current students that have answered a ton of our questions. It would be worth your time to read back through the past 10 pages or so.

Always glad to help out. I appreciated all the help I got last year when I was in your position.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Wed May 11, 2011 9:21 am

Do any of you rising 2Ls happen to still have a copy of the 1L orientation schedule from last year? It starts on a Friday this year and I'm trying to figure out whether there are weekend events planned. I have something going on that weekend and I need to decide now whether I'll have to re-schedule.

Thanks!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed May 11, 2011 9:30 am

SteelyDan wrote:Do any of you rising 2Ls happen to still have a copy of the 1L orientation schedule from last year? It starts on a Friday this year and I'm trying to figure out whether there are weekend events planned. I have something going on that weekend and I need to decide now whether I'll have to re-schedule.

Thanks!

I bet a quick email to Jenny would get you a sure answer regarding our orientation weekend.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed May 11, 2011 1:09 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:

Always glad to help out. I appreciated all the help I got last year when I was in your position.

+1. It's always good to know as much as you can coming in. I'm glad to help any way I can. With that said, 1L IS OVER :!:

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed May 11, 2011 1:13 pm

SteelyDan wrote:Do any of you rising 2Ls happen to still have a copy of the 1L orientation schedule from last year? It starts on a Friday this year and I'm trying to figure out whether there are weekend events planned. I have something going on that weekend and I need to decide now whether I'll have to re-schedule.

Thanks!

I just looked at the only email I have left regarding orientation (it has part of a schedule), and the only thing I see for over the week stuff was a picnic on the first day your on campus (Friday). Ours was at 7:00 that night. There could be some other stuff on Saturday and Sunday, but, as best I can remember, they just give you those days to get acclimated to the city.

Nailjohnj

Postby Nailjohnj » Wed May 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Ok, so I just found out that I have the opportunity for a freaking awesome 10 day vacation to Peru that is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity. That said, the vacation has to be in August. I was planning on moving to W-S Aug 1, leaving for the trip Aug 5, then coming back into W-S the 17 or 18th. I know orientation is on the 19th, but since classes don't start until the 22nd, I figured that this wouldn't be too too much, and I could use the flights, train trips, etc. to cover any required reading. With that said... am I crazy for seriously considering this course of action? I don't want to put myself behind the 8 ball from the get go. Thanks for the advice.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks!

Nailjohnj wrote:Ok, so I just found out that I have the opportunity for a freaking awesome 10 day vacation to Peru that is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity. That said, the vacation has to be in August. I was planning on moving to W-S Aug 1, leaving for the trip Aug 5, then coming back into W-S the 17 or 18th. I know orientation is on the 19th, but since classes don't start until the 22nd, I figured that this wouldn't be too too much, and I could use the flights, train trips, etc. to cover any required reading. With that said... am I crazy for seriously considering this course of action? I don't want to put myself behind the 8 ball from the get go. Thanks for the advice.

SteelyDan - I don't have my orientation schedule, but there isn't anything on Saturday or Sunday. On Friday, you get pictures for the school's website, have some basic welcome to Wake information sessions, and then the Welcome picnic that night. Everything else starts on Monday.

Nailjohnj - I don't think it should be a problem. Other than lots (and lots) of information sessions, training on Westlaw and Lexis/Nexis, and the Habitat for Humanity project, the biggest thing you do during orientation is start your Legal Writing class. You'll have work to do for it, but I don't think you'll have much (if any) due the first day, which wouldn't be until Monday anyway. You might be a little worn out, but I think it's manageable. The only thing you'll really miss out on is a chance to start hanging out with your classmates, but that continues on into the semester, so it's not a huge deal.

You'll start receiving assignments for the first day of regular classes (29th) during orientation. I think pretty much every professor gives out a reading assignment for the first day.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed May 11, 2011 4:10 pm

So, to our 1ls, how would you describe your first year now that it is done?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:37 pm

jdemmitt wrote:So, to our 1ls, how would you describe your first year now that it is done?

It was a lot of work, and there were times when I didn't enjoy it, but overall I'm really happy with my decision. I've made a lot of great friends, found a wonderful boyfriend, learned a lot, etc.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed May 11, 2011 7:00 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:So, to our 1ls, how would you describe your first year now that it is done?

It was a lot of work, and there were times when I didn't enjoy it, but overall I'm really happy with my decision. I've made a lot of great friends, found a wonderful boyfriend, learned a lot, etc.

Agreed.It can be chaotic at times, and there are definitely plenty of times where you'll wonder what the heck you're doing (e.g. The entire past two weeks where I've studied for finals). I'm one of those folks that procrastinates badly -- I didn't start studying for exams until classes ended. I'm sure that will come back to bite me in the end, so I kind of regret that. From my limited experience, first semester will be more stressful simply because you don't know what you're doing. Second semester, I was much more relaxed (and for that matter, somewhat apathetic) because I knew how exams would be, knew how to write a brief, etc. One bit of advice I have is to go out and meet people and have fun. I was one of those folks who never went to social events because I was intent on being prepared for class and doing all the reading. As it turns out, there's no reason that you can't go out and do your work too. School will definitely take up most of you're time, but you'll still have time to do other stuff. I never did work on the weekends other than to do Monday's assignments late Sunday evening.However, I spent Monday through Thursday working from when class got out until 11 or 12 every night. Just be sure to have some sort of balance.

In sum: work hard, have some fun, do what professors ask for on exams and memos (and nothing more or less),and know that, if you have no clue what's going on, 95% of the other folks don't either.If you do that,you'll get along just fine. I am very happy with my decision to come to law school (and Wake in particular), and I think most other folks are too.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

Agreed.It can be chaotic at times, and there are definitely plenty of times where you'll wonder what the heck you're doing (e.g. The entire past two weeks where I've studied for finals). I'm one of those folks that procrastinates badly -- I didn't start studying for exams until classes ended. I'm sure that will come back to bite me in the end, so I kind of regret that. From my limited experience, first semester will be more stressful simply because you don't know what you're doing. Second semester, I was much more relaxed (and for that matter, somewhat apathetic) because I knew how exams would be, knew how to write a brief, etc. One bit of advice I have is to go out and meet people and have fun. I was one of those folks who never went to social events because I was intent on being prepared for class and doing all the reading. As it turns out, there's no reason that you can't go out and do your work too. School will definitely take up most of you're time, but you'll still have time to do other stuff. I never did work on the weekends other than to do Monday's assignments late Sunday evening.However, I spent Monday through Thursday working from when class got out until 11 or 12 every night. Just be sure to have some sort of balance.

In sum: work hard, have some fun, do what professors ask for on exams and memos (and nothing more or less),and know that, if you have no clue what's going on, 95% of the other folks don't either.If you do that,you'll get along just fine. I am very happy with my decision to come to law school (and Wake in particular), and I think most other folks are too.

At the risk of sounding creepy, I want to hug u. This made me feel a lot less scared and a lot more excited about LS

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu May 12, 2011 11:23 am

1L was the hardest I have worked in my entire life. Ive been a slacker in the academic context my entire life, and thus this past year was foreign territory. Like Pirate, many times throughout both semesters I questioned my decision to leave my job and comfortable lifestyle and transplant my family (wife, and dog) to the South when all of my comforts of friends and family were in Chicago. At the moment, I still believe I made the right choice as I enjoy studying the law, love the quality of life in NC, and so far have been successful in the employment arena. This of course can all change if my second semester grades fall flat.

But Wake is changing because the B-school is leaving, and I'm not sure if it is for the better. Wake really suffers when it comes to corporate transactional class options, and there seems to be no indication of change. This problem will likely only magnify with the increase in enrollment that is ultimately going to happen once the B-school moves out. I would really like to know the dean's vision of the school for the next 5-10 years and how he will be able to keep the current 'charm' and quality of the school because of its small size, while at the same time increasing enrollment.

I always feel like the bad guy compared to Pirate and Tstyler because I know many of the 0Ls are looking for affirmation that they will be making the right decision in choosing wake over another school. But I feel like all information - both good and bad - is the best way to make an informed, rational decision to invest 100k+ of your money.

Oh, and 400+ pages of research for a 5-8 page paper for the write-on?! wtf.....

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Just wondering, I understand that Wake is predominantly a regional school, but is there any portability with a Wake Law degree to say, D.C. for instance?

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Thu May 12, 2011 1:51 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Just wondering, I understand that Wake is predominantly a regional school, but is there any portability with a Wake Law degree to say, D.C. for instance?

DC is definitely doable. I know of one Class of '11 student off the top of my head starting with a V100 firm up there in the fall, and the Class of '12 students have done quite well up there with SA positions for this summer, getting offers at a number of Biglaw firms. I'll be doing federal government work in DC after taking the bar through the Presidential Management Fellowship Program (and I am nowhere near the top of the class!), and Wake has a growing alumni network in DC. So, while DC is an extremely competitive market, it is certainly possible.

Generally, between DC and Atlanta, the degree is pretty portable.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu May 12, 2011 8:41 pm

moandersen wrote:

1L was the hardest I have worked in my entire life. Ive been a slacker in the academic context my entire life, and thus this past year was foreign territory. Like Pirate, many times throughout both semesters I questioned my decision to leave my job and comfortable lifestyle and transplant my family (wife, and dog) to the South when all of my comforts of friends and family were in Chicago. At the moment, I still believe I made the right choice as I enjoy studying the law, love the quality of life in NC, and so far have been successful in the employment arena. This of course can all change if my second semester grades fall flat.

But Wake is changing because the B-school is leaving, and I'm not sure if it is for the better. Wake really suffers when it comes to corporate transactional class options, and there seems to be no indication of change. This problem will likely only magnify with the increase in enrollment that is ultimately going to happen once the B-school moves out. I would really like to know the dean's vision of the school for the next 5-10 years and how he will be able to keep the current 'charm' and quality of the school because of its small size, while at the same time increasing enrollment.

I always feel like the bad guy compared to Pirate and Tstyler because I know many of the 0Ls are looking for affirmation that they will be making the right decision in choosing wake over another school. But I feel like all information - both good and bad - is the best way to make an informed, rational decision to invest 100k+ of your money.

Oh, and 400+ pages of research for a 5-8 page paper for the write-on?! wtf.....

At ASD Melanie said that they had no plans to increase the size of the class even though they were gaining the extra space.....I guess time will tell.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”