Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jdemmitt

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:17 pm

My mom lives in Raleigh and she didn't realize the tornadoes were there. Silly mom.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Hey, did any of the Tornadoes strike anywhere near WS and if so, you guys ok?

A few tornadoes hit here in Raleigh. I found shingles and insulation in my backyard. Not mine although. It was hailing golf balls and was extremely windy.

carl77

Postby carl77 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi,
Has anyone lived in the WFU owned housing that's near campus? Appears to be many different houses - anyways, they rent by the room at $510 all inclusive. Was wondering if anyone had any impressions.

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:33 am

I noticed exams are scheduled over a three week period each semester. Are they generally spaced out over the entire 3 weeks or is there a good possibility of being done with exams well before the examination period is over?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:18 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:I noticed exams are scheduled over a three week period each semester. Are they generally spaced out over the entire 3 weeks or is there a good possibility of being done with exams well before the examination period is over?

Usually 1L exams are spaced out over two weeks. For example, our exams this semester are the last two weeks of the exam period (we have this entire week off), and then we have two exams each of the last two weeks (Exams on Tuesday/Thursday, then Monday/Wednesday). I think this is how it is most years, so I wouldn't plan on being done much earlier than the exam period ends (other than maybe by a couple of days). For upperclassmen, it all depends on which electives you take.

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:24 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:I noticed exams are scheduled over a three week period each semester. Are they generally spaced out over the entire 3 weeks or is there a good possibility of being done with exams well before the examination period is over?

1L exams are always spread out - they like to give you time to study. In the fall, 2L and 3L exams are pretty spread out, and as Pirate said, it depends on the classes you are enrolled in. But, in the spring, all 2L and 3L exams are scheduled in that first week, so that professors can quickly grade exams before graduation. While you can hardship exams that week if you have two scheduled on the same day, or have a PM one followed by an AM one the next day, grades need to be done by the end of the second week for upperclassmen, so it really is pretty jam packed.

While there's much less time to study, everyone has much less time to study. And it gives you a longer break before summer employment. I had a full two weeks off before and after my 2L job, and still managed to work for 12 weeks.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:

1L exams are always spread out - they like to give you time to study. In the fall, 2L and 3L exams are pretty spread out, and as Pirate said, it depends on the classes you are enrolled in. But, in the spring, all 2L and 3L exams are scheduled in that first week, so that professors can quickly grade exams before graduation. While you can hardship exams that week if you have two scheduled on the same day, or have a PM one followed by an AM one the next day, grades need to be done by the end of the second week for upperclassmen, so it really is pretty jam packed.

While there's much less time to study, everyone has much less time to study. And it gives you a longer break before summer employment. I had a full two weeks off before and after my 2L job, and still managed to work for 12 weeks.

thats the hotness.

on a whole other topic: Some ppl have been talking about some of the areas of WS being "shady" or "crime ridden"... have any of you guys seen this, or encountered anything like it while at WFU?

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm

girlonfire wrote:on a whole other topic: Some ppl have been talking about some of the areas of WS being "shady" or "crime ridden"... have any of you guys seen this, or encountered anything like it while at WFU?

I'd say the area around the school is relatively safe. That being said, there's usually a break in or two every year. I was one of the unlucky ones and had my place broken into on a Tuesday, in broad daylight, and a whooooooole bunch of my stuff was taken. Thank goodness I had my laptop missing, because I would have lost it if they had stolen my notes! Moral of the story: GET RENTER'S INSURANCE! Even if you never "use" it, its worth the 100 or so bucks a year to not have to have people ask, "Why didn't you have renter's insurance!?!?!!!" if something does happen. (I had it, a friend who had her place broken into 1L year did not, unfortunately.) There's going to be petty crime anywhere with the economy like this, but just use your head, and you should be fine, i.e. don't walk to the God Lot alone late at night, lock your doors, etc.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:58 pm

thanks wpf. nice tar, btw...

good to know about renter's insurance too.. where were u living at the time if you dont mind me askin..?

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 pm

girlonfire wrote:good to know about renter's insurance too.. where were u living at the time if you dont mind me askin..?

I was in Crowne Oaks, but I know a place at Crowne Park got hit on the same day. If you have the opportunity to live on the second or third floor, it might be a good idea to do it. But, I still felt safe at my place post-break in, and stayed there for a full year after it happened. I more or less Fort Knox-ed the place though, so if you are particularly worried about a break in, I'd recommend getting extra locks for the doors and windows up front. With that said, I still felt safe in the area closest to the campus, as well as downtown. Like I said before, just be alert and you should be okay.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:54 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
girlonfire wrote:good to know about renter's insurance too.. where were u living at the time if you dont mind me askin..?

I was in Crowne Oaks, but I know a place at Crowne Park got hit on the same day. If you have the opportunity to live on the second or third floor, it might be a good idea to do it. But, I still felt safe at my place post-break in, and stayed there for a full year after it happened. I more or less Fort Knox-ed the place though, so if you are particularly worried about a break in, I'd recommend getting extra locks for the doors and windows up front. With that said, I still felt safe in the area closest to the campus, as well as downtown. Like I said before, just be alert and you should be okay.

thanks a bunch. my SO is a locksmith, so he always insists on putting on aftermarket locks on all our doors... :D i've never gotten RI before, but i def will when i move to WS

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:18 am

girlonfire wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:

thats the hotness.

on a whole other topic: Some ppl have been talking about some of the areas of WS being "shady" or "crime ridden"... have any of you guys seen this, or encountered anything like it while at WFU?

Y'all are freaking out way too much about this. Myself and many of the people I know forget to lock their cars or their apartments on a regular basis and have had no issues. I walk to the God Lot at night frequently and have never even seen anything shady. There are bad parts but they don't seem to be near the school and are easy to avoid. Just be reasonable. You will have enough to worry about when you get to law school, I don't think crime is one of those things though.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:29 am

More importantly: I have heard a lot about the art scene of WS, but I was wondering about theatre specifically. Anywhere to go to catch a good musical or play?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:49 pm

jdemmitt wrote:More importantly: I have heard a lot about the art scene of WS, but I was wondering about theatre specifically. Anywhere to go to catch a good musical or play?

Here is one place: http://www.twincitystage.org/

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sun May 01, 2011 1:57 am

I heard that some schools allow you to construct your own finals schedules (place and time) and was wondering if Wake uses flex scheduling for finals or are there specific exam times and places?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:00 pm

YankeesFan wrote:I heard that some schools allow you to construct your own finals schedules (place and time) and was wondering if Wake uses flex scheduling for finals or are there specific exam times and places?

Unfortunately, no. The exam schedule is put out every year and there is very little flexibility. The only flexibility is if you have too many exams back-to-back and need to hardship one. That only applies to 2Ls and 3Ls, as it's easy to schedule 1L exams with a little break in between since everyone is taking the exact same classes. One 2L I know had 4 exams last week...one on every day but Wednesday. He wasn't able to hardship any of them. The only other flexibility you have is to take one or two paper courses so that you don't have as many exams.

SunnyBee

Postby SunnyBee » Tue May 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Can any of you tell me about the reality of getting a part-time job during your first year? Is there anytime to earn a little money as a server in a restaurant or work in retail, or do people just not do that?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue May 03, 2011 8:52 pm

SunnyBee wrote:Can any of you tell me about the reality of getting a part-time job during your first year? Is there anytime to earn a little money as a server in a restaurant or work in retail, or do people just not do that?

I am pretty sure the ABA doesn't allow 1Ls to work.

Ok so upon further research they allow up to 20 hrs. However, from what I have read it is detrimental to your grades.
Last edited by NCtoDC on Tue May 03, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Tue May 03, 2011 9:12 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
SunnyBee wrote:Can any of you tell me about the reality of getting a part-time job during your first year? Is there anytime to earn a little money as a server in a restaurant or work in retail, or do people just not do that?

I am pretty sure the ABA doesn't allow 1Ls to work.

I'm pretty sure that you are just not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week while attending the law school. I'm going to try to find the ABA rule but i'm 99% sure its a 20 hour max.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Some schools ban it outright, e.g. byu and univ of colorado. Others frown upon it, but ya it is a 20 hr max.

Dub, you wake bound?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Wake doesn't ban it, and they do encourage you to do pro bono work during the year. However, I would recommend waiting to see how things go before you decide. There are times when it's less busy, but law school does take up a lot of time. So committing to being a regular schedule where you can't work or it might be difficult to take time off could be difficult.

You could check into babysitting or something where you can do school work. And I know there are jobs at the library. I don't know what they pay or what the requirements are (like work study).

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 pm

tstyler98 wrote:

Wake doesn't ban it, and they do encourage you to do pro bono work during the year. However, I would recommend waiting to see how things go before you decide. There are times when it's less busy, but law school does take up a lot of time. So committing to being a regular schedule where you can't work or it might be difficult to take time off could be difficult.

You could check into babysitting or something where you can do school work. And I know there are jobs at the library. I don't know what they pay or what the requirements are (like work study).

Agreed. I would definitely hold off on trying to find a job until you know whether or not you can handle it. If you're not desperate for money, I probably wouldn't do it. Some folks could handle it; others couldn't. Law school will take up a lot of your time. You'll have plenty of time to do other stuff, but I would recommend using that bit of off-time to just chill out from school instead of piling on with a job (at least during 1L). During 2L, there are plenty of opportunities as TAs, RAs, and library workers. If you decide that you want one then, go for it.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 pm

any 3Ls care to estimate how many in your class will have a full time legal job upon graduation? any 2Ls want to estimate how many have paying summer jobs? I was given some approximates, but am looking for some confirmation. If the % is low enough to scare the 0Ls away, feel free to pm me. Im just trying to get a feel of the situation. Thanks.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm

moandersen wrote:any 3Ls care to estimate how many in your class will have a full time legal job upon graduation? any 2Ls want to estimate how many have paying summer jobs? I was given some approximates, but am looking for some confirmation. If the % is low enough to scare the 0Ls away, feel free to pm me. Im just trying to get a feel of the situation. Thanks.

I would like to know this as well.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu May 05, 2011 10:22 pm

moandersen wrote:any 3Ls care to estimate how many in your class will have a full time legal job upon graduation? any 2Ls want to estimate how many have paying summer jobs? I was given some approximates, but am looking for some confirmation. If the % is low enough to scare the 0Ls away, feel free to pm me. Im just trying to get a feel of the situation. Thanks.

Are the estimates you've heard really that bad?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”