Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NCtoDC

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Can you explain how house hunt goes? I mean, do we actually get to tour the apts. or do we just do drive bys? Also, do you know what the timeline is for the event in general?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Can you explain how house hunt goes? I mean, do we actually get to tour the apts. or do we just do drive bys? Also, do you know what the timeline is for the event in general?

Sure. Last year, on Friday night, everyone met up and went to the baseball game. Afterwards, a bunch of people went out to some of the local bars. Saturday, we met at the school. There were 3 shuttles that took people to various places. You actually get to go in and look around. We went to a place downtown, a house that was for rent, a couple smaller apartments, and to each of the Crowne apartments. At one Crowne, we saw the 1-bedroom options, at the next, we saw the 2-bedroom options, and the 3rd, we saw the 3-bedroom options. They split the group up via the 3 shuttles so that everyone wasn't at one place at the same time.

After that, many people left. But those of us that stayed until Sunday went out for dinner and to a few bars on Saturday night. It was a lot of fun. I met a lot of people. During the first day of orientation, people who hadn't come to House Hunt wondered how we knew so many people already. Plus, I moved in at the beginning of August, so we started getting together before orientation, so I met even more people. I highly encourage people to go, even if you already have an apartment, just so that you can meet people. It makes walking in to orientation so much easier.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Awesome! Thank you.

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:25 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:And if you're bored and have nothing else better to do, you could figure out what the schedule is for each of the 4 sections. The class schedule is here: --LinkRemoved--. Section 1 will have a 1 next to the class number (ex. 102-1), and so on. Your classes will be Contracts I, Civil Procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, LAWR I, and Legal Research (part of LAWR). You'll have 4 class periods for Torts, 1 for Legal Research, and 3 for the others. And for LAWR, half of each section will be in A, and the other will be in B.

All I can say is, registrar person if you are stalking these boards, PLEASE DON'T PUT ME IN SECTION 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: Or SECTION 4.

Holy crap we have a 50% chance of getting Walker for Civ Pro :shock: :shock:

Walker (aka Mad Dog) isn't really that bad. He's a really nice old guy. You'll have to stand up in class and recite/answer his questions. That can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a 50 minute class period, and he'll grill you the whole time. Once you're done though, you don't have to go again until he makes it through the rest of the students. He's great outside of class too. You'll see him shuffling around campus smoking his pipe with his little hat on (very "grandpa-like"). His exam isn't that bad. Just memorize the outline and regurgitate it on the exam. You'll get an A.

It's so funny I ran into a Wake Law grad from like 2003 or earlier who said something about Mad Dog and I couldn't help thinking man this dude has a reputation! I sat in on a Charlie Rose class both times that I visited Wake and was told by someone that he was one of the better profesors, but students seemed to be kind of intimidated by him. Does he make you feel welcome or does he have an intimidating nature?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 pm

amasingama wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:And if you're bored and have nothing else better to do, you could figure out what the schedule is for each of the 4 sections. The class schedule is here: --LinkRemoved--. Section 1 will have a 1 next to the class number (ex. 102-1), and so on. Your classes will be Contracts I, Civil Procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, LAWR I, and Legal Research (part of LAWR). You'll have 4 class periods for Torts, 1 for Legal Research, and 3 for the others. And for LAWR, half of each section will be in A, and the other will be in B.

All I can say is, registrar person if you are stalking these boards, PLEASE DON'T PUT ME IN SECTION 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walker (aka Mad Dog) isn't really that bad. He's a really nice old guy. You'll have to stand up in class and recite/answer his questions. That can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a 50 minute class period, and he'll grill you the whole time. Once you're done though, you don't have to go again until he makes it through the rest of the students. He's great outside of class too. You'll see him shuffling around campus smoking his pipe with his little hat on (very "grandpa-like"). His exam isn't that bad. Just memorize the outline and regurgitate it on the exam. You'll get an A.

It's so funny I ran into a Wake Law grad from like 2003 or earlier who said something about Mad Dog and I couldn't help thinking man this dude has a reputation! I sat in on a Charlie Rose class both times that I visited Wake and was told by someone that he was one of the better profesors, but students seemed to be kind of intimidated by him. Does he make you feel welcome or does he have an intimidating nature?

Rose is extremely welcoming, but he does expect you to be prepared and answer his questions. I can see how he would be intimidating in that he is so knowledgeable in the subjects he teaches that you dont want to mess up, but not intimidating in that he will make you look like an idiot if he calls on you.

From my limited experience and from what I have heard from 2Ls, 3Ls and faculty, Rose is at the top in terms of professors. Im looking forward to taking him again for evidence.

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 pm

moandersen wrote:
amasingama wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:And if you're bored and have nothing else better to do, you could figure out what the schedule is for each of the 4 sections. The class schedule is here: --LinkRemoved--. Section 1 will have a 1 next to the class number (ex. 102-1), and so on. Your classes will be Contracts I, Civil Procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, LAWR I, and Legal Research (part of LAWR). You'll have 4 class periods for Torts, 1 for Legal Research, and 3 for the others. And for LAWR, half of each section will be in A, and the other will be in B.

Rose is extremely welcoming, but he does expect you to be prepared and answer his questions. I can see how he would be intimidating in that he is so knowledgeable in the subjects he teaches that you dont want to mess up, but not intimidating in that he will make you look like an idiot if he calls on you.

From my limited experience and from what I have heard from 2Ls, 3Ls and faculty, Rose is at the top in terms of professors. Im looking forward to taking him again for evidence.[/quote]

Good to know, thank you!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 pm

moandersen wrote:Rose is extremely welcoming, but he does expect you to be prepared and answer his questions. I can see how he would be intimidating in that he is so knowledgeable in the subjects he teaches that you dont want to mess up, but not intimidating in that he will make you look like an idiot if he calls on you.

From my limited experience and from what I have heard from 2Ls, 3Ls and faculty, Rose is at the top in terms of professors. Im looking forward to taking him again for evidence.

Agreed for the most part. I had him for Crim. Law, and he's a good professor and one of the kindest professors I've met at the school. He knows his stuff and expects his students to learn it too. He can be pretty tedious in that sometimes he'll stay on the same set of 2-3 cases for 5 or 6 classes (i.e. way too long), but, by and large, the rest of the class loved him and wants him again. I'm taking a different Evidence professor just because I prefer a different teaching style, but Rose is very straightforward and even gives you an outline at the end of the semester for the class.

shaf0717

Postby shaf0717 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Hey, I'm a new reader on your forum; thanks for all the great info contained in the past posts. I'm planning to apply to Wake two years from now, and I have a few questions I wanted to throw out.

1) Are there many military veterans at your school? I'm a Naval Academy grad and current naval officer, and I was curious as to whether Wake has students with similar backgrounds. I noticed that your Dean was an Army JAG early in his career, and I thought that was interesting.

2) Because of my military service contract I won't be able to enroll in law school until Fall 2013. Would it seem ridiculous to start contacting/visiting schools now, writing LOCIs, etc? Any thoughts on how I could profitably use the next two years prior to law school, particularly in terms of networking?

3) I have a 3.8 UGPA and a 167 LSAT. I'm considering an LSAT retake since I have so much time before I apply, although I'm pretty happy with my current score. I'm hoping for some merit $ when I apply, but above all, I'd like to go to school in NC/TN and eventually practice in one of those states. Wake, Vandy, UNC, UTK, Emory, and UGA are my top choices right now. I saw some earlier posts comparing Wake/UNC/UGA. Any thoughts about how Wake compares to the other schools in terms of job market opportunities, quality of life, etc?

4) Are there many married law students at Wake?

Thanks again for the info.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:08 pm

shaf0717 wrote:Hey, I'm a new reader on your forum; thanks for all the great info contained in the past posts. I'm planning to apply to Wake two years from now, and I have a few questions I wanted to throw out.

1) Are there many military veterans at your school? I'm a Naval Academy grad and current naval officer, and I was curious as to whether Wake has students with similar backgrounds. I noticed that your Dean was an Army JAG early in his career, and I thought that was interesting.

2) Because of my military service contract I won't be able to enroll in law school until Fall 2013. Would it seem ridiculous to start contacting/visiting schools now, writing LOCIs, etc? Any thoughts on how I could profitably use the next two years prior to law school, particularly in terms of networking?

3) I have a 3.8 UGPA and a 167 LSAT. I'm considering an LSAT retake since I have so much time before I apply, although I'm pretty happy with my current score. I'm hoping for some merit $ when I apply, but above all, I'd like to go to school in NC/TN and eventually practice in one of those states. Wake, Vandy, UNC, UTK, Emory, and UGA are my top choices right now. I saw some earlier posts comparing Wake/UNC/UGA. Any thoughts about how Wake compares to the other schools in terms of job market opportunities, quality of life, etc?

1. Thanks for your service, my father and mother were both in the service, so let me throw a thanks for all you do. When I took my tour for Wake at ASD, my tour guide was in the process of applying to be a JAG officer. And in our class this year, there will be at least one guy from the Army I believe, I saw him on our FB group. So ya, there will likely be some, not a lot.

2. Contacting schools and visiting is fine. You usually do not write a LOCI until you been applied and either sat for awhile or been waitlisted.

3. I would not retake unless you think you can nail at least five points better. You have a good score and a good GPA, and you should easily get a full ride if not close as well as being a possibility for the fletcher scholarship (full ride, books, and stipend). If your practice exams go well, go for it, but dont stress it. Wake is a smaller school, very close knit from everyone I talked to and from visiting. Wake compares well to UNC. We view it as a peer school, but they look down on us. Right now our employment stats are a little better than them. Honestly, I would apply to Duke and give it a shot. I cant answer any more about that because it would be speculation. I am sure Pirate or Tstyler can give a better answer.

4. I am married, with a kid, as are at least two others. So, yes we do exist. Holla.

timduncanformvp

Postby timduncanformvp » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 pm

shaf0717 wrote:Hey, I'm a new reader on your forum; thanks for all the great info contained in the past posts. I'm planning to apply to Wake two years from now, and I have a few questions I wanted to throw out.

You should probably add Duke to your list as well. Your numbers alone might get you in, but most law schools also look kindly on vets.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Definitely apply at Vandy also... your scores will at least get you in, but you may get money also. I have a friend with a slightly lower LSAT that just got $60k there.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:45 pm

How hot is Sarah Hayward? TIA.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Do any of you have WF's health insurance? How is it?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey Pirate Cp'n-

What is the deal with football and basketball tickets? Do we get them for free as students, just show up with our student IDs, have to buy them?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:56 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Hey Pirate Cp'n-

What is the deal with football and basketball tickets? Do we get them for free as students, just show up with our student IDs, have to buy them?

The university allots a certain number of tickets to the law school for each game. Then, there will be a lottery for the tickets. You email whoever is handling the lottery and let them know that you want to be put into it. If there are more tickets than students who want them, you automatically get a ticket. If there are more students than tickets (usually only the rivalry games have this problem), you will be entered into the drawing for a ticket. Assuming you're able to get a ticket, they're free. Even if you don't get one through the drawing, it's still pretty easy to find a cheap one around on Craigslist (or a free one from a student who just can't make the game).

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:28 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Hey Pirate Cp'n-

For football games, a student usually stands outside the front door with tickets at noon the day before the game. After that, they just leave them in their mailbox in the lounge. You'll need to have a student ID to get in, so you can't get one for anyone who doesn't go to Wake. I don't think there is ever a problem of them running out of tickets. A lot of law students go and tailgate, and then don't go to the game.

For basketball games, they do a lottery, but it generally only matters for big games (like Duke). Usually you can get a ticket if you want it.

I went to all but 1 football game, and I went to 4 or 5 basketball games.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:31 pm

We have several former military people at Wake. And we have several who are doing reserves. It is definitely not a problem. Your numbers should definitely get you money at Wake. Your best bet is to visit schools and see which ones fits best for you. There are a bunch of married law students. And a bunch of older students (at least 5 years out of school), including several in their 30's (like me) and 40's.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:34 pm

So no one has Wake's health insurance? Darn.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:16 pm

jdemmitt wrote:So no one has Wake's health insurance? Darn.

Nope. Sorry. I'll ask around and see if anyone has it, but I think that, for the most part, people just keep their insurance they had before law school.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:49 am

:arrow: tag

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:16 am

PirateCap'n wrote:

Nope. Sorry. I'll ask around and see if anyone has it, but I think that, for the most part, people just keep their insurance they had before law school.

I got their insurance, they use blue cross I think. I'm pretty sure most of us who worked before law school are not using the same insurance as before since that was tied to our benefits.

All that to say, I cant tell you anything about it because I never had a need to see a doctor. Sorry.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

I got their insurance, they use blue cross I think. I'm pretty sure most of us who worked before law school are not using the same insurance as before since that was tied to our benefits.

All that to say, I cant tell you anything about it because I never had a need to see a doctor. Sorry.

Yeah. You're right. The folks that worked before generally don't keep the same insurance. I was one of those folks that came straight through, and I think most of us kept the same insurance (which was the basis for the statement -- didn't mean to over-generalize). I've asked a couple of people for you JDemmitt, and they all had Bluecross but not from school. I have Bluecross as well, and it's pretty good insurance based on my limited use of it. If that's what the school is offering, I would say it's probably ok.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 am

All right, thanks guys. My dad has blue cross, and he has always liked it.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Hey, did any of the Tornadoes strike anywhere near WS and if so, you guys ok?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:53 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Hey, did any of the Tornadoes strike anywhere near WS and if so, you guys ok?

I think most of them were east of here. I know there were some injuries in Sanford and Raleigh (middle of the state) and then there were several deaths and host of other issues in Northeastern NC (Bertie Co., Halifax Co., etc.). I haven't heard of any problems in WS other than a few trees down here and there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”