Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:40 am

jdemmitt wrote:Sweet. Man, you are going to be swimming in beer cause we owe you so much.


Well, I figure I owe y'all one. The folks on here gave me a ton of help last year, so I'm just trying to do the same. Plus, it sure beats studying for finals....

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:47 am

I am in section 4 this year, and I really like it. While Walker can be a bit intimidating, it's not too bad. As PirateCap'n said, you just have to memorize your outline and regurgitate it, which is completely opposite of the other exams. However, I loved my other professors last semester. Rose, Peeples, and Reynolds are all great. And I like my professors this semester as well (although there will be some change up in professors next semester...two of our professors were different this semester than the previous years, so it's par for the course). I think each section has its pluses and minuses.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 am

Well one thing is exciting for sure...no class starts until 9 for 1Ls. :-)

I have a question. I have spoken to a 3L at Wake that said law school was terrible. I know you guys are only 1Ls but have you felt like this; has it been a completely undesirable experience?

Pirate- are you getting paid for your Summer gig?

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:59 am

NCtoDC wrote:Well one thing is exciting for sure...no class starts until 9 for 1Ls. :-)

I have a question. I have spoken to a 3L at Wake that said law school was terrible. I know you guys are only 1Ls but have you felt like this; has it been a completely undesirable experience?

Pirate- are you getting paid for your Summer gig?


I've actually really enjoyed law school for the most part. There's no doubt that it's a lot of work, and it will definitely be stressful around exam time. That's where it's so much different than undergrad. During 1L, a single exam will determine your entire grade (with the exception of LAWR memos and briefs), and that's really what makes it so stressful. Other than during exam time, law school is pretty easygoing. As long as you can focus on your reading, outlining, etc. outside of class, you should have plenty of time to do other stuff.

To answer your question about my summer job: yes, it's paid (at what I guess would be considered market rate -- maybe a bit lower).

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 am

jdemmitt wrote:We are going to be an awesome group. I wish I could remember the name of the con law professor I saw at ASD. He was an older gent. He was interesting, and not to rough with students who didnt know answers. Although his bread analogy was weird.


Haha, thats professor parker. He gets off on crazy analogies. A lot of students are scared of him, but I love him. One day we someone got into talking about sex robots.

The next day he started our class with this analogy:

"Free speech is the lubricant of the sex robot that is american democracy"

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Well one thing is exciting for sure...no class starts until 9 for 1Ls. :-)

I have a question. I have spoken to a 3L at Wake that said law school was terrible. I know you guys are only 1Ls but have you felt like this; has it been a completely undesirable experience?

Pirate- are you getting paid for your Summer gig?



To answer your question about my summer job: yes, it's paid (at what I guess would be considered market rate -- maybe a bit lower).


Keep in mind Pirate is the exception, not the rule for 1L summer. I also have a summer SA position at a large firm for NC standards (100+ attorneys), but out of my friends Im the only one with a job like that. I know people near the top with no job, and those at the bottom with decent, but nonpaying, jobs. Its not really what you know that gets your 1L job, it is who you know.

I think a reason many Wake students work outside of NC during the summer and after graduating has more to do with personal/family connections than the actual portability of the degree. So while the degree might take you to a neighboring state just on your grades, the bigger factor is who you know if you want to work outside of NC.

And finally, my 2 cents on walker. He's a real nice guy outside of class, but in class....man, he is totally different. He says he's tough on 1Ls to teach them how its going to be like in the 'real world,' but his class is just ridiculous. Depending on who you ask, they will say he's not a bad teacher (those who got As on his exam by following the rules), or they will say he was a nightmare (those who got Ds on his exam because they didnt follow the rules). I think all of us on tls followed the rules for his exams and did very well. However there are those that did not, and probably actually knew more about civ pro than I did.

I know Im not as positive as Pirate and others, but I want to tell it like I see it. Wake is a great school and Im glad Im here, but I wanted to be straight up and let you know my info about the job situation, and be honest that there are numerous poor teachers here, just like there would be at any law school.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:45 am

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Well one thing is exciting for sure...no class starts until 9 for 1Ls. :-)

I have a question. I have spoken to a 3L at Wake that said law school was terrible. I know you guys are only 1Ls but have you felt like this; has it been a completely undesirable experience?

Pirate- are you getting paid for your Summer gig?



To answer your question about my summer job: yes, it's paid (at what I guess would be considered market rate -- maybe a bit lower).


Keep in mind Pirate is the exception, not the rule for 1L summer. I also have a summer SA position at a large firm for NC standards (100+ attorneys), but out of my friends Im the only one with a job like that. I know people near the top with no job, and those at the bottom with decent, but nonpaying, jobs. Its not really what you know that gets your 1L job, it is who you know.

I think a reason many Wake students work outside of NC during the summer and after graduating has more to do with personal/family connections than the actual portability of the degree. So while the degree might take you to a neighboring state just on your grades, the bigger factor is who you know if you want to work outside of NC.

And finally, my 2 cents on walker. He's a real nice guy outside of class, but in class....man, he is totally different. He says he's tough on 1Ls to teach them how its going to be like in the 'real world,' but his class is just ridiculous. Depending on who you ask, they will say he's not a bad teacher (those who got As on his exam by following the rules), or they will say he was a nightmare (those who got Ds on his exam because they didnt follow the rules). I think all of us on tls followed the rules for his exams and did very well. However there are those that did not, and probably actually knew more about civ pro than I did.

I know Im not as positive as Pirate and others, but I want to tell it like I see it. Wake is a great school and Im glad Im here, [b]but I wanted to be straight up and let you know my info about the job situation, and be honest that there are numerous poor teachers here, just like there would be at any law school.[b]


I definitely agree that there are a few bad teachers here. In fact, I have two of them now. Between them and Walker, there's no contest. They're both MUCH worse than he was by any standard (and I think the majority of the class feels that way). For the most part though, the professors are really good. I've had several great professors, many good professors, and a couple of bad ones. It averages out in the end.

I'm sure we know some different folks, so that probably accounts for why many folks you know don't have jobs and many folks I know do. For whatever reason, it seems like the folks in a couple of sections are seeing better results than those in others with regards for the job hunt, but, in those sections, most of the folks I've talked to have jobs. Either way, you're right. It's who you know -- not what, but grades certainly don't hurt. If you have decent grades, I really do think the degree is very portable.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:48 am

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Well one thing is exciting for sure...no class starts until 9 for 1Ls. :-)

I have a question. I have spoken to a 3L at Wake that said law school was terrible. I know you guys are only 1Ls but have you felt like this; has it been a completely undesirable experience?

Pirate- are you getting paid for your Summer gig?



To answer your question about my summer job: yes, it's paid (at what I guess would be considered market rate -- maybe a bit lower).


Keep in mind Pirate is the exception, not the rule for 1L summer. I also have a summer SA position at a large firm for NC standards (100+ attorneys), but out of my friends Im the only one with a job like that. I know people near the top with no job, and those at the bottom with decent, but nonpaying, jobs. Its not really what you know that gets your 1L job, it is who you know.

I think a reason many Wake students work outside of NC during the summer and after graduating has more to do with personal/family connections than the actual portability of the degree. So while the degree might take you to a neighboring state just on your grades, the bigger factor is who you know if you want to work outside of NC.

And finally, my 2 cents on walker. He's a real nice guy outside of class, but in class....man, he is totally different. He says he's tough on 1Ls to teach them how its going to be like in the 'real world,' but his class is just ridiculous. Depending on who you ask, they will say he's not a bad teacher (those who got As on his exam by following the rules), or they will say he was a nightmare (those who got Ds on his exam because they didnt follow the rules). I think all of us on tls followed the rules for his exams and did very well. However there are those that did not, and probably actually knew more about civ pro than I did.

I know Im not as positive as Pirate and others, but I want to tell it like I see it. Wake is a great school and Im glad Im here, but I wanted to be straight up and let you know my info about the job situation, and be honest that there are numerous poor teachers here, just like there would be at any law school.


Fair enough, and I think its important to be said. Its not all sunshine and rainbows. On the other hand:

My Semester 1 Profs:

Torts professor- super fair- told you exactly how the exam would be/what would be on it.

Crim pro prof- super interesting/ kinda unfair grading- (but his wife was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks before final exam, so he prob wasn't really focused on us).

Civ Pro professor (not walker)- super interesting, very easy if you learn the rules, told you exactly how the exam would be/what would be on it.

Contracts: I found it to be boring, some like it, it was my worst grade. Probably a pretty fair grader, unfortunately :( .

My Semester 2 Profs:
Haven't had exams yet, so can't talk about fairness. But as of now, I love 3/4 of them (the one I don't like- contracts from last semester).

Jobs- yeah theres a lot of good, but I think SA for 1Ls- not so hot.

Gratz on SA job Mo. Especially since I know at least 2 top 10%s who could not get an SA position.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 am

When you say it's who you know that gets you a good summer gig 1L year do you mean you had ties to the legal community before school? Or, did you make contacts through the school year that afforded you these opportunities? If it's the first option, I am screwed, lol.

User avatar
SherlockHolmes
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby SherlockHolmes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:02 am

NCtoDC wrote:When you say it's who you know that gets you a good summer gig 1L year do you mean you had ties to the legal community before school? Or, did you make contacts through the school year that afforded you these opportunities? If it's the first option, I am screwed, lol.


Word

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am

NCtoDC wrote:When you say it's who you know that gets you a good summer gig 1L year do you mean you had ties to the legal community before school? Or, did you make contacts through the school year that afforded you these opportunities? If it's the first option, I am screwed, lol.


I think it's a little bit of both. If you want to work in CA (for example) during 1L, you're probably going to need to have some ties to the community coming into school because you're not likely to make them during the school year while you're in NC. If you want to work in NC, you'll probably have slightly better chance of getting 1L work even without ties coming into school because you'll be able to do some degree of "networking" during the school year with firms from in-state. If you want to return to whatever state you're originally from, you should probably already have at least a few connections to the legal community by virtue of simply living there. When you interview with firms from your home state, the fact that you're originally from there and want to return there will usually be enough to demonstrate your "connection" to the community.

User avatar
girlonfire
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby girlonfire » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 am

in have literally NO connections in the legal community... soooooooo i havent got that goin for me.. :|

however, a friend of mine who recently graduated from cardozo said she made good connections in school, and that her profs were actually the best ppl to get to know. Her fav prof hooked her up with 2 summer gigs and a job after graduation, and she wasnt by any means a top student. He told her he liked her because she was always attentive, and she tried very hard... she's also super freaking gorgeous... i wonder if that helped :lol:

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:12 am

I think its both. I.e. I had no N.C. ties coming in (i'm form Va).

I was able to land a NC DoJ job based on cover letter/interview. I've already been talking to some of the people that work there. One is a former assistant D.A. in district X in NC. I will now have a connection to the D.A.'s office (same boss is still there) in x county (assuming I get along with the former assistant D.A. this summer).

I guess what I'm saying is, connections are a big part, but don't sweat it. Does it help if you come in with big time connections? Definitely.

Are you screwed if you come in with no connections?
No way.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:14 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I guess what I'm saying is, connections are a big part, but don't sweat it. Does it help if you come in with big time connections? Definitely.

Are you screwed if you come in with no connections?
No way.


Exactly.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:22 am

Aside from professor hookups, how would you say you are meeting people? I assume you don't just walk in to an office, introduce yourself, and drop a resume... or do you?

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:27 am

jdemmitt wrote:Aside from professor hookups, how would you say you are meeting people? I assume you don't just walk in to an office, introduce yourself, and drop a resume... or do you?


As a 1L, you're automatically assigned a couple of folks to talk to. You'll get a student "mentor," a faculty advisor, and a legal "connection." My mentor is really helpful with suggestions about people to talk to. My legal "connection" is a WFU alumna and a partner at a larger firm here in the triad. She's suggested places to call, people to see, etc. The career services office also suggests "informational interviews," where you call up an attorney at an office you're interested in or in a field you're interested in working in. You simply call the attorney up, tell him or her that you would like to talk and ask a few questions about the field/his or her career and then go meet with that person. Sometimes they can refer you to other places to get "connections." Plus, you'll have connections with that attorney too.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:38 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:Aside from professor hookups, how would you say you are meeting people? I assume you don't just walk in to an office, introduce yourself, and drop a resume... or do you?


As a 1L, you're automatically assigned a couple of folks to talk to. You'll get a student "mentor," a faculty advisor, and a legal "connection." My mentor is really helpful with suggestions about people to talk to. My legal "connection" is a WFU alumna and a partner at a larger firm here in the triad. She's suggested places to call, people to see, etc. The career services office also suggests "informational interviews," where you call up an attorney at an office you're interested in or in a field you're interested in working in. You simply call the attorney up, tell him or her that you would like to talk and ask a few questions about the field/his or her career and then go meet with that person. Sometimes they can refer you to other places to get "connections." Plus, you'll have connections with that attorney too.

Wow that is really interesting. Sounds like the law school is really helping out.

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:21 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Well one thing is exciting for sure...no class starts until 9 for 1Ls. :-)

I have a question. I have spoken to a 3L at Wake that said law school was terrible. I know you guys are only 1Ls but have you felt like this; has it been a completely undesirable experience?

Pirate- are you getting paid for your Summer gig?


I've really enjoyed law school so far. I worked for several years before coming back to law school, and it's nice to be back in a learning environment. There are times when I don't enjoy it as much, but I try to look at the big picture and keep reminding myself why I'm in law school. That helps get me through the tough or boring times.

The biggest piece of advice for school I can offer is to get organized and stay on top of the work. I write down in my planner everything that I want to get done for the day, and highlight it when I finish each task. I try to finish everything each day, but sometimes I don't.

I am working at Legal Aid here in Winston-Salem this summer. It is non-paid, but I've applied for a PILO grant through Wake, which would give me $2k for the summer. The grants are only available to students working in non-paid public interest positions during the summer. I'll find out next week whether I'm getting one. I got my position through volunteering there a few hours a week during the year. I talked with a 2L who worked there over the summer and she put me in contact with her supervisor. I e-mailed her a cover letter and resume, went in for an interview, and she brought me in as a volunteer. I was able to show my work ethic and gain some experience, and then was hired for the summer. It was the only job I applied for, so I can't speak too much about applying for jobs. But I'll be doing a lot more this coming summer for next summer.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Do you know how many people receive PILO grants?

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:30 am

What do you do for volunteering as a 1l? Seems like it would be tough while still learning everything.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:18 am

jdemmitt wrote:What do you do for volunteering as a 1l? Seems like it would be tough while still learning everything.


Even though there's still a lot of learning, most folks find time to do a little volunteer work here and there. Wake has a Pro Bono Project that posts volunteer opportunities on its website, and students can volunteer on a first-come-first-served basis. There are plenty of ways to do volunteer work, but I think this is probably one of the more popular ones. The PBP also keeps up with all of the pro bono hours that people complete, and 1Ls usually win the class competition for most hours I believe (I know we were in the lead by a lot the last time I heard anything). I guess that shows that you'll still have a bit of time of your hands even as a 1L. Here's the website.

http://probono.law.wfu.edu/our-projects/

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:48 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Do you know how many people receive PILO grants?


I'm not sure exactly. All I know is if you get selected and work 10 weeks, you get $2,000. If you work 5 weeks, you get $1,000. It's not a lot, but it's better than nothing.

jdemmitt wrote:What do you do for volunteering as a 1l? Seems like it would be tough while still learning everything.


Last semester, I mostly attending meetings with potential clients. This semester, I've written letters to clients, done research, did an interview with a client, amongst some basic administrative stuff. You don't really need to know any substantive stuff. The class that has been the most use has been Research, which is funny because it's the class that gets a bad rap.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Oh good. That makes sense. Sounds like they start you slow and let you get a hold of things.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 pm

PirateCapn- would you mind telling us what supplements you brought for your classes, which ones you found most hepful for each first semester class, etc..?

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm

YankeesFan wrote:PirateCapn- would you mind telling us what supplements you brought for your classes, which ones you found most hepful for each first semester class, etc..?


+1

I am reading through PLS, and right now he wants to buy everything... and that seems expensive.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests