Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dkm3313

Re: Wake 1Ls taking Questions!!!

Postby dkm3313 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:43 pm

How much is a 4 bedroom apartment? Is House Hunt the best way to find roommates?

lishi

Postby lishi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:07 am

House Hunt basically takes you around the main apartment complexes like Crowne Polo, Crowne Oaks, and Crowne Park, and I think a couple others. A lot of people met their roommates through House Hunt, some love each other, others not so much. But that's just the case when you room with people you don't know. Also a few people found roomates on Craigslist with older students who had an extra room.

As far as 4 bedroom apts, I don't think there are any in these complexes. You'd have to look at houses around Winston Salem for that. I'm pretty sure that the highest that apartments go to around here is 3 bedrooms.

dkm3313

Postby dkm3313 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info on apartments. I will check out Craigslist. I was just looking for 4 bedroom to save money but the 3 bedroom cost looks reasonable.

Does anyone have info on the Fletcher scholarship (full tuition, books, living stipend)? I read the paragraph on Wake's website, but wondered if there is more info about what they are looking for or if you know anyone who is a Fletcher scholar.

lishi

Postby lishi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:49 pm

The way they determine who gets the scholarship is by who impresses the people at the Scholar Open House (this includes the students, the staff, and the faculty). So the key is to MINGLE!! Talk with everyone. Really let them know how much you want to be there and why.

tha trev

Postby tha trev » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:49 am

what did you read before going to wake? what do you wish you knew before you went?

scaredstiff165

Postby scaredstiff165 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:31 pm

I was w/l today. :cry:
Does anyone know about how the W/L works at Wake?

tha trev

Postby tha trev » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:52 pm

i'd probably call them stiff. i'm sure they'd tell you what you need to know. sorry about the WL, but hopefully you'll squeeze in!!

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:14 am

scaredstiff165 wrote:I was w/l today. :cry:
Does anyone know about how the W/L works at Wake?

I'm sorry ss. I put a blurb about my Wake waitlist experience in the acceptance thread, page 4 I think? It seems like they are going to have a pretty big waitlist this year, but if you stick it out and let them know that you want to be here, I'd say you have a good chance of getting in!

dkm3313

Postby dkm3313 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 pm

What is a typical class schedule (time of day)? Do all the classes start at 8am and do L2s and L3s have classes on Fridays? When do you have options to add electives and possibly participate in a clinic? Thanks!

lishi

Postby lishi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:12 am

No class starts earlier than 9am for law students, but the schedules are different for each section. I think section 1 gets out at the latest at 2 and the rest of the sections sometimes go to 3. But don't think it's straight through from 9-3. There are breaks in between and some classes start later than 9. Like today I start at 11, have a break at 12, and then a class at 1 and a class at 2.

I'm guessing that by L2s and L3s you mean 2Ls and 3Ls, and them having classes on Friday depends on how they make their schedule. We haven't made our own schedule like so I don't know how possible that is your second year, but I know a lot of 3Ls that don't have classes on Fridays or Mondays. We can't add electives until our 2nd year, so our whole 1st year is already set in stone. But I believe that you can start doing clinics your 2nd year in the fall if you really want. But that would probably be a really bad choice or really hard, since 2L fall is supposedly stressful on its own, not to mention the amount of work the people in the clinics do.

brendawalsh

Postby brendawalsh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:19 am

Wake lists the average grants/scholarships at about $21,000/year per student. I'm accepted but most likely won't be getting any merit aid. How are they in terms of financial-need scholarships? Do they require financial info from parents? I would love to go to Wake but of courses finances are a concern. Thanks for all the help!

Intermedius

Postby Intermedius » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Great thread!

The nightlife isn't a real big issue for me, but i think its imperative that the social scene align with your well-being. Law school appears tough, and i would hope the urbanite scene is welcoming for exhausted graduate students.

I am heavily considering a visit to Winston-Salem and the Wake Forest campus. I thought that the diversity discussion in this thread was very productive; i am a biracial person, and I'm used (comfortable) to being in white-dominated social settings, but situations void of any significant diversity can get tired quickly.

I have a couple of questions--sorry if has already been addressed--regarding the quality of facilities dedicated to the WF law campus.

[*] I read the classrooms are cramped etc. How true is this claim, and how has it affected your study?
[*]Can someone familiar with the program please shed some light on the joint JD/MBA program? Is it tedious, how well integrated do the two degrees appear to taught be, etc.?

Thanks

lishi

Postby lishi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am

Honestly our 1L class isn't very diverse at all. But I think this changes every year. Like the 2L class has much more diversity than we do, so I think it just depends on who decides to come here.

As far as your other questions:

1) I don't think the classrooms are crowded at all really. But maybe that's just me. If this is something you are really worried about then I would recommend visiting and sitting in on a class to get an idea of how it feels.

2) Also I don't know much about the JD/MBA program, except that it's different than other schools. Your first year is all MBA stuff, and then your second year is your 1L of law school so it's all law, then the 3rd and 4th years are a mix of both. They do this because you really start to bond and create relationships with your fellow law students, so they don't want to have you start 1L with some people and then never have classes with them after that.

brendawalsh

Postby brendawalsh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 am

Does everyone get invited to the Scholar Open House?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 am

Hey I was just curious, does anyone know how OCI went this year for 2Ls?

Thanks!

garnetspur

Postby garnetspur » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks for the info you all have provided regarding the housing hunt and apartment complexes. Does anyone know if there is much of a rental market for houses? I have a golden retriever that I will be bringing with me, and I very much would like for him to have a yard (I think he would too). Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

tchadwick

Postby tchadwick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:27 pm

garnetspur wrote:Thanks for the info you all have provided regarding the housing hunt and apartment complexes. Does anyone know if there is much of a rental market for houses? I have a golden retriever that I will be bringing with me, and I very much would like for him to have a yard (I think he would too). Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

My pup would like a yard, too!! Image

Anyway.... I am not a 1L, only another prospective student. So, I'm in the same boat as you!

Since my husband has a job prospect in Greensboro, we have been looking at places in between there & winston-salem. I haven't began to look too thoroughly, though - just casual browsing. I did see one cute little house for rent in Kernersville (between the two bigger cities), for $850/month, which I think is pretty darn reasonable. We live in a loft right now, and pay about $600. I would definitely be willing to pay a bit more to be able to rent a house. I am so sick of apartment living.... :cry:

katiebth

Postby katiebth » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 pm

"Suggested Reading List" - Did anyone go through the list? Are there other materials I should be looking at before August?

Side question - would I be a complete idiot if I worked until August 13th in Boston?

dooey139

Postby dooey139 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Hey thanks for taking questions. I am very very close to making Wake my destination for the next 3 years. My main concerns are with the facilities and living in the South. I am from upstate NY and was just wondering if there are any of you who have had any problems with a culture shift if you are not from the area. I visited the building and it felt sort of cramped to me in the hallways in between classes. Does it feel like that in the library ever? I would hate to be studying shoulder to shoulder with people! Probably a slight exaggeration I know but I think you know what I mean. Is there ever any problem finding seats in the library? I think Wake said every 1L gets a private carrel, isnt that right? And in the Crowne apartments, is it mostly graduate students or are there undergrads living there too? I would hate to be distracted by a bumping party next door on a weekday night or during finals. Thanks!

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:01 pm

dooey139 wrote: I am from upstate NY and was just wondering if there are any of you who have had any problems with a culture shift if you are not from the area.

Nope. I'm from PA, and spent 4 years in Boston for UG, and feel very comfortable here. I hadn't set foot in the state of North Carolina until House Hunt in June, and was a bit concerned about culture shock, but it really isn't all that different. I have found that North Carolinians have absolutely no idea how to drive in the snow, even with just flurries on the ground, so I tried to avoid the roads as long as possible when it snowed this winter. But the student body itself is pretty evenly split between northerners and southerners, so the difference is not as dramatic as you might think.

dooey139 wrote:I visited the building and it felt sort of cramped to me in the hallways in between classes. Does it feel like that in the library ever? I would hate to be studying shoulder to shoulder with people! Probably a slight exaggeration I know but I think you know what I mean. Is there ever any problem finding seats in the library? I think Wake said every 1L gets a private carrel, isnt that right?

I don't find the library cramped. It's four floors, so there is more than enough room for everyone. I normally stick to using the top floor, where there is actual daylight, and just take over a giant table up there. I've never had an issue finding a seat, although, sadly, my favorite table is sometimes taken. And yes, every 1L does get a carrel, which gives you your own personal workspace. I feel like carrel use dropped off pretty dramatically after the first month, so if you stick with doing your work there, it's normally very quiet.

dooey139 wrote:And in the Crowne apartments, is it mostly graduate students or are there undergrads living there too? I would hate to be distracted by a bumping party next door on a weekday night or during finals.

It's a decent mix between undergrads and grad students for the most part. The building I live in has only one bedroom apartments, and since undergrads aren't big on living alone, my building is entirely graduate students and young professionals. The only time I only felt bothered by them was when I was trying to read at the pool before school started, but I really can't complain about that. As a whole, my complex quiets down around finals time, so noise isn't a huge concern.

katiebth wrote:would I be a complete idiot if I worked until August 13th in Boston?

First, yay for another Bostonian! If you're a Sox fan, we're going to have to be friends. Second, I'd recommend getting down here a little earlier, if possible. I met around half of the 1L class the week prior to orientation out on the town and such, and I think that really helped me feel more comfortable going into the first week. Plus, it took me forever to get my apartment set up, and having my place settled before class gave me less to worry about those first few weeks. But that's just me. A lot of students moved in the Friday of orientation and seemed to be just fine.

Hope that helps guys!

katiebth

Postby katiebth » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:18 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:First, yay for another Bostonian! If you're a Sox fan.

Sorry, not a Bostonian (I was up for a teaching gig in Boston, but there was only one spot and I wasn't selected :( ) My bro's a huge Sox fan though... Regardless, I really appreciate your reply - I'll being making the trek from way out west, so timing info is crucial.

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm

katiebth wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:First, yay for another Bostonian! If you're a Sox fan.

Sorry, not a Bostonian (I was up for a teaching gig in Boston, but there was only one spot and I wasn't selected :( ) My bro's a huge Sox fan though... Regardless, I really appreciate your reply - I'll being making the trek from way out west, so timing info is crucial.

Sorry to hear about the job. :(

Timing wise, I moved in August 8th last year, and felt that gave me more than enough time to get settled and figure out the essentials, like where the grocery store was located. And the Target! I swear I made daily trips there for most of August. Most places will pro-rate your rent for the first month, so you wouldn't have to move in on the 1st necessarily, which is nice.

lishi

Postby lishi » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:47 am

whenpigsfly wrote: I've never had an issue finding a seat, although, sadly, my favorite table is sometimes taken.

I don't know if we have the same favorite table (because we usually always sit with each other), but my favorite table gets taken sometimes too :cry:

katiebth wrote: I'll being making the trek from way out west, so timing info is crucial.

I'm from way out west too!!! I disagree with wpf on a little thing, in that I do think it's different here than up north or out west. Although there are a lot of northerners, I feel like the people and atmosphere is different than I was used to from living in Ca and Pa. BUT I think it's definitely manageable and easy to adjust. People are nice and friendly, and you'll find people that you really relate to so you won't have to worry.

katiebth

Postby katiebth » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 pm

lishi wrote:
katiebth wrote: I'll being making the trek from way out west, so timing info is crucial.

I'm from way out west too!!! I disagree with wpf on a little thing, in that I do think it's different here than up north or out west. Although there are a lot of northerners, I feel like the people and atmosphere is different than I was used to from living in Ca and Pa.

I agree, it's totally different, but not completely foreign to me (spent 4th-10th grade on the east coast).
lishi wrote:BUT I think it's definitely manageable and easy to adjust. People are nice and friendly, and you'll find people that you really relate to so you won't have to worry.

Chic-fil-a anyone? I spent a whol 20 hours in W-S last fall, you can bet I found the Chic-fil-a and the starbucks with a fireplace!

Speaking of, do you know of housing that has a fireplace? It's not a req, but I do miss burning wood :D

lishi

Postby lishi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:09 am

All of the Crowne's have fireplaces, or have the option to get a place with a fireplace.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”