Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
girlonfire

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby girlonfire » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 pm

NCtoDC wrote:OMG that is too cute! Does she have a tail?

No. Unfortunately the breeder cropped it when she was born... Which still makes me feel terrible :(

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm

girlonfire wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:OMG that is too cute! Does she have a tail?

No. Unfortunately the breeder cropped it when she was born... Which still makes me feel terrible :(

I was just thinking it would be easier to pass her off as a black and tan coon hound with a tail. Well, I hope you can find something without much hassle. Does she happen to have a Canine Good Citizen certification? That might help you get her accepted in spite of her breed.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:26 pm

What paperwork does Wake require once you deposit? For example do you have to get transcripts or a dean certification? I went to a couple different schools would they require it from all of them?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:30 pm

You need to turn in an official transcript and a dean's certificate by August. Dont know about the second question.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:40 pm

NCtoDC wrote:What paperwork does Wake require once you deposit? For example do you have to get transcripts or a dean certification? I went to a couple different schools would they require it from all of them?

I think you only have to turn in the transcript showing that you graduated (since they already have the other transcripts through LSAC) and a dean's certificate from the degree-granting institution. I attended 1 university and then took some side classes at a local CC. I only had to turn in the certification from the degree-granting school. Your best bet would be to ask the admissions office though.

bom325

Postby bom325 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Is the 1L orientation held just for one day or several days? If the latter is the case, I think I won't be able to attend the first two to three days of the orientation. Would that be ok? I am really, really, worried that missing the first few days of the orientation would affect me in a significant way (in terms of getting some crucial information, making friends, etc)... Thank you in avance for your answers!

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:14 pm

The orientation is a week long and is mandatory. If you don´t show up the first day I believe they take that as you forfeit your seat.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm

bom325 wrote:Is the 1L orientation held just for one day or several days? If the latter is the case, I think I won't be able to attend the first two to three days of the orientation. Would that be ok? I am really, really, worried that missing the first few days of the orientation would affect me in a significant way (in terms of getting some crucial information, making friends, etc)... Thank you in avance for your answers!

If you have a good reason for needing to miss part of orientation, I'm sure the school will work with you. I would certainly let them know about it though. Your LAWR class will actually begin during the week of orientation, so you'll be missing class too. As a general rule, you definitely need to be there. Just call the admissions office, and tell them about your situation (whatever it may be). They'll do their best to work with you.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Pirate Cap'n you've been so awesome answering all our questions. Will you be involved with house hunt? I am sure I am not the only one who would like to meet you. Plus, you should take us and clue us in to the bar scene :-)

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:41 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Pirate Cap'n you've been so awesome answering all our questions. Will you be involved with house hunt? I am sure I am not the only one who would like to meet you. Plus, you should take us and clue us in to the bar scene :-)

+1 :D

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:14 pm

girlonfire wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Pirate Cap'n you've been so awesome answering all our questions. Will you be involved with house hunt? I am sure I am not the only one who would like to meet you. Plus, you should take us and clue us in to the bar scene :-)

+1 :D

Thank y'all for the kind words. I doubt I'll be involved in the house hunt (I assume SBA puts it on, and I'm not on the board or anything). I had my place picked out before HH last year, so I didn't even do it then. When everyone gets down here and gets settled in, I'll be more than happy to buy you a round and show you the town though. :wink: . The crowd here at Wake is awesome, so I'm sure that most anyone would be more than happy to show you around and clue you in on what we know (though it might not be much). I think the TLS crowd on here is pretty representative of the law school as a whole, and we're all happy to answer questions. If you guys ask something on here and don't get an answer pretty soon, you're more than welcome to PM me.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 am

Pirate, are you on a journal or on a mock team?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Pirate, are you on a journal or on a mock team?

I'm a 1L, so no journal yet. I hope to be one though (assuming I can either grade-on or write on). There are three journals here: law review, Business and IP, and Law and Policy. All have pretty good reputations, and, if nothing else, they look good on your resume. I passed on the moot court competition this semester to study for finals (and because I don't really intend to do much litigation), but there's also a competition during 2L that puts you on the moot court team if you place high enough. Our moot court and trial bar teams (and pretty much any other team that's related to litigation) are amazing. They do very well in competitions, which I guess is a given since Wake is so focused on litigation.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:14 pm

taeschler.luke wrote:Speaking of drinks, what's the drinking scene like at Wake? How many bars are we talking? People party pretty hard? Clear distinction between undergraduate and graduate watering holes?

Any concert venues a travel-able distance from Winston Salem or no chance?

And, like the other posters, I very much appreciate your commitment to helping us out with your very informative answers.

TSTyler or Nick might be a bit more help than I am with this one, so, if my answer isn't satisfactory, you might want to PM one of them. As with most any law school, there's plenty of drinking. Bar review is every Thursday night, and it's at a different bar each week. Downtown WS has several bars where students hang out, and then there are a few more upscale bars around as well. WS definitely isn't NYC by any means, but it should have plenty of bars and hangouts to satisfy most anybody. People do party pretty hard, but they usually have enough time to get their work done too. I have no idea about the undergrad/grad distinction, so I'll leave that for someone else.

There are concert venues here in Winston Salem (Joel Coliseum, which is the basketball arena), Greensboro (Greensboro Coliseum), Charlotte (Verizon Wireless Amphitheater), and Raleigh (Walnut Creek). Greensboro is about 30 minutes, Charlotte is a little over an hour, and Raleigh is about 2 hours. I'm sure there are probably some "indie" music hangouts around, but I don't have the slightest clue where they would be other than Chapel Hill (I think).

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Ah, my tour guide made it sound like to write on or grade on to a journal after fall semester.

How would you say you and your classmates communicate? Do you guys utilize this website in the 2013 thread or the fb page? Or do you just text/email?

Thanks again Pirate.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:02 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Ah, my tour guide made it sound like to write on or grade on to a journal after fall semester.

How would you say you and your classmates communicate? Do you guys utilize this website in the 2013 thread or the fb page? Or do you just text/email?

Thanks again Pirate.

Yeah. Write-ons are the first 2 weeks directly after final exams in the spring, so that'll be interesting. For the most part, people communicate via texting/emailing. When we were first coming in for orientation and stuff, we used the FB page and TLS threads. Now that everybody has everyone else's telephone number, texting or emailing (or G-chatting) are definitely the main methods of communication. The FB page and the 2013 thread rarely, if ever, get used.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
taeschler.luke wrote:Speaking of drinks, what's the drinking scene like at Wake? How many bars are we talking? People party pretty hard? Clear distinction between undergraduate and graduate watering holes?

And, like the other posters, I very much appreciate your commitment to helping us out with your very informative answers.

TSTyler or Nick might be a bit more help than I am with this one, so, if my answer isn't satisfactory, you might want to PM one of them. As with most any law school, there's plenty of drinking. Bar review is every Thursday night, and it's at a different bar each week. Downtown WS has several bars where students hang out, and then there are a few more upscale bars around as well. WS definitely isn't NYC by any means, but it should have plenty of bars and hangouts to satisfy most anybody. People do party pretty hard, but they usually have enough time to get their work done too. I have no idea about the undergrad/grad distinction, so I'll leave that for someone else.

There are concert venues here in Winston Salem (Joel Coliseum, which is the basketball arena), Greensboro (Greensboro Coliseum), Charlotte (Verizon Wireless Amphitheater), and Raleigh (Walnut Creek). Greensboro is about 30 minutes, Charlotte is a little over an hour, and Raleigh is about 2 hours. I'm sure there are probably some "indie" music hangouts around, but I don't have the slightest clue where they would be other than Chapel Hill (I think).

I concur with everything already said. There are a bunch of bars. Many of the law students go to different bars depending on what they're in the mood for that night. My group of friends usually go to one of a few bars as they've become "our" place. We also found a place that has free pool from 5-7 each night, as well as a ton of dart boards. We've gone there a few times, both for free and for pay.

My boyfriend and some of his friends have gone to some concerts here in Winston-Salem. And we get some other famous people, such as John Grisham, and even Snookie (?) from Jersey Shore (obviously I don't watch it if you couldn't tell). :-)

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:42 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

I concur with everything already said. There are a bunch of bars. Many of the law students go to different bars depending on what they're in the mood for that night. My group of friends usually go to one of a few bars as they've become "our" place. We also found a place that has free pool from 5-7 each night, as well as a ton of dart boards. We've gone there a few times, both for free and for pay.

My boyfriend and some of his friends have gone to some concerts here in Winston-Salem. And we get some other famous people, such as John Grisham, and even Snookie (?) from Jersey Shore (obviously I don't watch it if you couldn't tell). :-)

Snookie came? Ew... I don't know if wake is right for me afterall... :wink:

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey tstyler, what bar has free pool?

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:55 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Hey tstyler, what bar has free pool?

and trivia!!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 pm

girlonfire wrote:

and trivia!!

+ 1

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
girlonfire wrote:

and trivia!!

+ 1

Uh Oh... i feel a trivia team brewing... :D

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Hot diggity. I get to be the one with the good hair.

leidice

Postby leidice » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Any clubs?? :mrgreen:

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:30 pm

leidice wrote:Any clubs?? :mrgreen:

yeah, the 2L at our table said there were some decent dance clubs. I want specific names :-)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”