Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
girlonfire

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by girlonfire » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 pm

What r the 3 things you like most about WFU?
& the 3 things you like least??

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:16 pm

girlonfire wrote:What r the 3 things you like most about WFU?
2. Reputation/job opportunities in NC and the Southeast
3. The people (students and professors are, by and large, great)

Dislikes:
1. Cost of tuition
2. A couple of professors who are completely out of touch with reality/extremely rude and lacking in "people skills." (They are definitely outliers though. I love all the other professors I've dealt with.)
3. Can't really think of anything else. That's not to say that there isn't anything, but I can't think of it right. I'll edit if anything comes to mind.

esquiress

New

Post by esquiress » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Hey all--I'm planning on getting a new computer for the fall since I hear that a new laptop budget can be requested from the finaid office. When I visited a few classes it looked as if everyone has a MacBook Pro...Is that more or less the case? (And is there a reason other than Macs tend to outlast all other laptops?)

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:25 pm

esquiress wrote:Hey all--I'm planning on getting a new computer for the fall since I hear that a new laptop budget can be requested from the finaid office. When I visited a few classes it looked as if everyone has a MacBook Pro...Is that more or less the case? (And is there a reason other than Macs tend to outlast all other laptops?)
I'm not sure it matter too much. The school has some kind of deal with lenovo, so most people get either a mac or a lenovo... although there is still plenty in between.

The only reason I'd advise against mac-
They are expensive.
If you like Macs, go for it.

Personally, I went with something small, cheapish, and long battery life.

Also, I don't know if Mac runs one note, but that program... holy shit... it has helped me be 20x organized as I would have been... and all your work is constantly saved on-line

/incoherent ramble end

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:33 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

Dislikes:
1. Cost of tuition
2. A couple of professors who are completely out of touch with reality/extremely rude and lacking in "people skills." (They are definitely outliers though. I love all the other professors I've dealt with.)
3. Can't really think of anything else. That's not to say that there isn't anything, but I can't think of it right. I'll edit if anything comes to mind.
3. Small small hallways....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:37 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Dislikes:
1. Cost of tuition
+1.
really cool set of people
Wake forest and UNC run n.c.
small classes- 40 person section. Love it.

Oh professors are hardcore about being open to meet with students every day. Its like an ethos for wake professors.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Dislikes:
1. Cost of tuition
There you go. That's definitely got to be in there.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:32 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Do any of you current students live alone? How much do you pay in rent and do you find it manageable considering the schools budget? Do you have money to "have fun" after paying your bills?
I live by myself (well, it's technically me and my dog) in a two bedroom condo. Rent is around $675. Utilities, cable, and internet usually run no more than $150 combined. I took out the maximum amount of loans for this year (after counting my scholarship) and have had plenty of "fun" money. I would still have plenty even I had taken out fewer loans. I spread my loan out over 12 months (instead of the nine month school year) and haven't really had any issues. The school definitely allocates enough for COL to get you through the year, so, to answer your question, it's definitely manageable.
Thank you for the information :-)
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 story house with my wife.
Its got a basement, so technically 3 story I guess.

Its got a deck that overlooks the fenced in back yard (where my dog romps around).

1000/month. 1 mile from the school.

I've got some pics somewhere. I'll post them later if i find them/have the time.

We looked at two other smaller houses- 2 bedroom 1 stories. They were around 750 and 800.
Wow, sounds like a nice place. I would love to find a place with a fenced in yard for my doggie :-)

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:47 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Do any of you current students live alone? How much do you pay in rent and do you find it manageable considering the schools budget? Do you have money to "have fun" after paying your bills?
I live by myself (well, it's technically me and my dog) in a two bedroom condo. Rent is around $675. Utilities, cable, and internet usually run no more than $150 combined. I took out the maximum amount of loans for this year (after counting my scholarship) and have had plenty of "fun" money. I would still have plenty even I had taken out fewer loans. I spread my loan out over 12 months (instead of the nine month school year) and haven't really had any issues. The school definitely allocates enough for COL to get you through the year, so, to answer your question, it's definitely manageable.
Thank you for the information :-)
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 story house with my wife.
Its got a basement, so technically 3 story I guess.

Its got a deck that overlooks the fenced in back yard (where my dog romps around).

1000/month. 1 mile from the school.

I've got some pics somewhere. I'll post them later if i find them/have the time.

We looked at two other smaller houses- 2 bedroom 1 stories. They were around 750 and 800.
Wow, sounds like a nice place. I would love to find a place with a fenced in yard for my doggie :-)
Yeah, its real nice. A room for me and the wife, an office, and a guest room. Also, theres a sun room/little nook attached on to the end of the main room- the dog likes hanging out there and barking at cars (its kind of like his room =) ).

Two things I like about living situation here:
1. Everywhere is pet friendly.
2. CoL lets you get living spaces that are Teh_WIN. I was looking at George Mason. For the price we are paying now, we would have been looking at a 1 or 2 room basement apartment =/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Can any current students tell us what classes we take 1st semester vs. 2nd. Obviosuly we have LRW and Contracts, but what are the three other courses?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Can any current students tell us what classes we take 1st semester vs. 2nd. Obviosuly we have LRW and Contracts, but what are the three other courses?
1st Semester:
1. Torts
2. Civil Procedure I
3. Criminal Law
4. Contracts I
5. LAWR

2nd Semester:
1. Property
2. Civ. Pro. II
3. Con. Law I
4. Contracts II
5. LAWR II

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:11 pm

taeschler.luke wrote:Can any of you current students post about summer employment opportunities? Where are they primarily located? How did you go about attaining them?

How difficult is it to look into summer employment in states other than NC? How did you go about interviewing for jobs in areas outside of NC? Do most firms/employers come to campus to interview or do only NC-based firms come to campus?

Thanks in advance.
Here's an update of an earlier post in this thread-

Summer Jobs for 1Ls that I personally know of (by no means an exhaustive list of jobs secured by my class so far):

Private:
Big Law in NC
Big Law in Va
Patent Law internship w/ a major corporation

Government:
NC Department of Justice
Federal Clerkship with a NC District court
Working for a NC DA

Academic
Research Assistant for Professor
Research Assistant for Professor working on a restatement

Public Interest
Legal Aid of NC (public interest organization)
Public Interest Organization in Va

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:35 pm

taeschler.luke wrote:Thanks for the re-post.

Do you happen to know how the application/interview process went for any of these? Were they on-campus or did most students have to leave for their interviews?

I'm especially curious about the aforementioned jobs in Virginia, seeing as I'm trying to figure out how people pursue/land opportunities that are not located within the immediate area of WF.
No prob, I wanted to re-post, as its been updated significantly since the original post =). I'll give more deets later today.. busy right now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:13 pm

I did not realize you could clerk as a 1L...hmmmm. Is that a paid gig?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:32 pm

NCtoDC wrote:I did not realize you could clerk as a 1L...hmmmm. Is that a paid gig?
Usually it isn't. It's more or less a judicial internship.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:I did not realize you could clerk as a 1L...hmmmm. Is that a paid gig?
Usually it isn't. It's more or less a judicial internship.
Oh, well, still sounds interesting.

Prometheus214

New

Post by Prometheus214 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks for taking questions from us prospective students, I'm really glad to see that student at Wake are willing to take time from their busy schedules to answer our endless questions. That being said, of course I have a few questions of my own as I am considering Wake Forest.

1. What are the school's facilities like? I've heard some complaints about the facilities at the law school, but what about things like the school's gym? Do law students have access to any kind of gym facilities at the school?

2. What have you heard about students who are looking for summer gigs/employment opportunities outside of the NC region? I am asking because I am from Washington state but I am seriously considering Wake Forest. I would eventually like to end up back in the Pacific Northwest Region, so I'm curious if you know of anyone at Wake who is from across the country.

3. Is parking a problem at the law school? I know that at some schools students cannot find parking spots, or it is ridiculously expensive to get a parking permit.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 am

Prometheus214 wrote:Thanks for taking questions from us prospective students, I'm really glad to see that student at Wake are willing to take time from their busy schedules to answer our endless questions. That being said, of course I have a few questions of my own as I am considering Wake Forest.

1. What are the school's facilities like? I've heard some complaints about the facilities at the law school, but what about things like the school's gym? Do law students have access to any kind of gym facilities at the school?

2. What have you heard about students who are looking for summer gigs/employment opportunities outside of the NC region? I am asking because I am from Washington state but I am seriously considering Wake Forest. I would eventually like to end up back in the Pacific Northwest Region, so I'm curious if you know of anyone at Wake who is from across the country.

3. Is parking a problem at the law school? I know that at some schools students cannot find parking spots, or it is ridiculously expensive to get a parking permit.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Always glad to help. I remember being a prospective student last year.

1. There is a gym on campus that is available to all students. I haven't been to it but I know there are many that do. There are intramural teams (football, basketball, softball) that a lot of people partake in throughout the year.

2. I can't speak personally on this because I'm trying to stay in NC, but there are a bunch of students who are looking for jobs throughout the country. You'll have to work harder, but in this economy, everyone has to work hard.

3. There are two parking options. To park on campus right by the law school, it is $500 for the year. I don't think there is a problem finding parking. There is a church just off campus (a 5-minute walk from the law school) that lets students park. Edit: It is $300 to park here for the year. A bunch of students park there and walk. If you live close enough, lots of people walk. And there is a shuttle that goes to many of the apartment complexes.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:29 pm

I sent in my seat deposit today!

For the people renting houses in Winston-Salem, how did u find them (realtor, newspaper, etc)??

Thanks for all the help from the posters... it's been really helpful in my decision making process...

also, i couldve sworn someone posted a list of 3 or 4 student-friendly appt complexes in this thread, but I havent been able to find it:?
Found it! it was in the wake 2011 thread:
Heres a short list of some of the apartments that I looked at:
the Corners at Crystal Lake
Crowne Polo, Plaza, Oaks
The Trails at Bethabara
The Pines
Last edited by girlonfire on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:35 pm

girlonfire wrote:I sent in my seat deposit today!

For the people renting houses in Winston-Salem, how did u find them (realtor, newspaper, etc)??

Thanks for all the help from the posters... it's been really helpful in my decision making process...

also, i couldve sworn someone posted a list of 3 or 4 student-friendly appt complexes in this thread, but I havent been able to find it :?
I know the Crowne appts have 3 bedrms but idk about anything else.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:31 pm

also, i couldve sworn someone posted a list of 3 or 4 student-friendly appt complexes in this thread, but I havent been able to find it:?
Crowne Polo, Plaza, Oaks
The Trails at Bethabara
The Pines
Were you planning on living alone? The Corners at Crystal Lake is a very pet friendly complex. They have their own dog park! I toured a 1 bedroom...it was too small for me, but I am married and have a lot of belongings. It was cheap however...only 480/mo plus 40/cable 15/trash&pest= 535 (they have a special rate with Time Warner for the complex..you can upgrade to a dvr and all that jazz if you want) You still have to pay your own water and electric.
Their pet fee is 300 plus 10/mo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 pm

NCtoDC wrote:

Crowne Polo, Plaza, Oaks
The Trails at Bethabara
The Pines
Were you planning on living alone? The Corners at Crystal Lake is a very pet friendly complex. They have their own dog park! I toured a 1 bedroom...it was too small for me, but I am married and have a lot of belongings. It was cheap however...only 480/mo plus 40/cable 15/trash&pest= 535 (they have a special rate with Time Warner for the complex..you can upgrade to a dvr and all that jazz if you want) You still have to pay your own water and electric.
This is amazing news!!! I was anticipating needing a roommate, but this sounds sooooo affordable! If I did find a roomy, he or she would be have to be cool with a rottie :D

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 pm

girlonfire wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:

Crowne Polo, Plaza, Oaks
The Trails at Bethabara
The Pines
This is amazing news!!! I was anticipating needing a roommate, but this sounds sooooo affordable! If I did find a roomy, he or she would be have to be cool with a rottie :D
I love all dogs--pits, rotties, dobies, chows, etc.--but aren't rotties considered an agressive breed? I'm thinking you may have trouble finding a managed complex that allows these "agressive" breeds.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 pm

NCtoDC wrote: I love all dogs--pits, rotties, dobies, chows, etc.--but aren't rotties considered an agressive breed? I'm thinking you may have trouble finding a managed complex that allows these "agressive" breeds.
shes a small female with a white spot on her bowtie. I've managed to pull her off as a "mutt" before.. never had a problem. And she's not even a little mean. See photo for evidence:
[img]puppeh&kitteh[/img]
big "aggressive" rottie getting punked by kitteh. My dog is notttttt even a little mean (unless she's got a really good reason)
Last edited by girlonfire on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 pm

OMG that is too cute! Does she have a tail?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”