Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nicholasnickynic

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 am

noleknight16 wrote:Do I have any shot at WF with a 157 and a 3.6 (4.0 maj GPA)? :? I really like wake.

I know this is not what anyone wants to hear, but have you thought of retaking?
If you have already tried 2 or 3 times, or studied to the max, then disregard this, but if not, you should really think about retaking.

My GPA was craptastic, so that limited my school options. You on the other hand, have a pretty solid GPA. The only thing holding you back is the LSAT, which is very learnable. Sure, there are ceilings and floors for everyone, but almost every one I know is able to get their score up on later tries.

If you raise your score by 4 points, - a measly 7-9 questions more, I'd say you would be a LOCK if you applied early on next cycle. Not only that, but you would be able to get looks from schools all over 30ish-50ish. And, you'd be a shoe-in for scholarship money at T2s, if you are looking to save money.

And thats just from a four point bump. A 3.6 is a great GPA and while 157 is a very solid LSAT, with a little extra work, you could be going to a very nice school and/or saving some serious moneys.

GLHF!

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:16 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Very little busy work aside from the typical Legal Research & Writing stuff. 100% of the grades in each of my substantive first semester courses came from exams.

There are also plenty of pro bono opportunities if you find that you have spare time on your hands. Everything from tax preparation assistance to advocating for disabled veterans.

Wanted to retract my first statement above. The first 4 weeks of 1L second semester = busy work avalanche. Having a graded research portion of LRW is the antithesis of awesome.

Tip for 0L's- get your job apps out over Christmas break next year while you have nothing to do. There is no 'easing back in' stage when you return from break. Instead things go from 0-60 mph at Maserati speed.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Narwhal and any other 1Ls -

After the first semester, grades, etc how are you feeling about your choice to attend Wake? It seems like there has been a bit of frustration this thread re: grades, timing of frade publishing, etc. PM me if you'd prefer not to say anything negative on the boards, but I'd really like a full balanced opinion of how your time at Wake has been so far.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 pm

I am very happy with my decision to attend Wake at this point. I think a lot of the recent frustration in this thread just stems from stress over grades, uncertainty over summer employment, etc. However, these are traits which are omnipresent at nearly every school.

The students and staff here are amazing, the campus is beautiful, and the small section size (40 people) is great. I will be happy to work in or around NC upon graduation. This, however, is an important point which I think should be emphasized more- Wake is wonderfully well respected in NC (and to a degree in WV, SC, and VA)- but don't come here expecting to be able transfer this degree outside the region without some serious legwork/connections. Even students at the tippy top of the class have difficulty mobilizing this degree.

Some 1L's here talk about how they have no desire to work in NC after school and have a "NY/CA/etc. or bust" mentality. I imagine the reality smackdown over the next year and a half will be pretty disillusioning.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I'm no expert on everything Wake, but I was fortunate enough to do well in my first semester here and am happy to help in any way that I can.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:46 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:I am very happy with my decision to attend Wake at this point. I think a lot of the recent frustration in this thread just stems from stress over grades, uncertainty over summer employment, etc. However, these are traits which are omnipresent at nearly every school.

The students and staff here are amazing, the campus is beautiful, and the small section size (40 people) is great. I will be happy to work in or around NC upon graduation. This, however, is an important point which I think should be emphasized more- Wake is wonderfully well respected in NC (and to a degree in WV, SC, and VA)- but don't come here expecting to be able transfer this degree outside the region without some serious legwork/connections. Even students at the tippy top of the class have difficulty mobilizing this degree.

Some 1L's here talk about how they have no desire to work in NC after school and have a "NY/CA/etc. or bust" mentality. I imagine the reality smackdown over the next year and a half will be pretty disillusioning.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I'm no expert on everything Wake, but I was fortunate enough to do well in my first semester here and am happy to help in any way that I can.

Completely agree. I love it here, and I'm really glad that I picked it over higher-ranked schools. The people here are great. Faculty and staff are among the best you will find anywhere. Since I'm from NC, I plan to stay in the state to practice, so the school's reach wasn't a particularly big deal to me. The workload isn't horrible. For most folks, it will be significantly more than you had in undergrad though (although I'm sure there are exceptions). Most classes just require reading and talking in class. Legal writing/research is a big time-consumer -- especially considering it only counts 1 and 2 hours during 1L year. Overall, I'm glad I picked WFU, and I wouldn't trade it for any of the other schools I was considering..........You're more than welcome to PM me as well. Like Narwhal, I did well first semester and might can offer some insight, but I'm certainly no expert on the city nightlife or things of that nature.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 pm

snapdragon wrote:Narwhal and any other 1Ls -

After the first semester, grades, etc how are you feeling about your choice to attend Wake? It seems like there has been a bit of frustration this thread re: grades, timing of frade publishing, etc. PM me if you'd prefer not to say anything negative on the boards, but I'd really like a full balanced opinion of how your time at Wake has been so far.

Im no all-star like pirate and am only around the top 1/3, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.... :wink:

I think Wake is a good school and Im glad I chose it over higher ranked schools with no $, and lower ranked schools with $$$. I am also confident that even if I stay around top 1/3 I will have decent options in a mid-sized firm in NC. I have made a bunch of good friends in similar situations (married and in the late 20s), so the transition has been easy for my wife and me.

All that being said, I would not recommend attending Wake without a scholarship - its just too risky. Lots of smart people got curve pwnd and got Bs or Cs the first time in their lives. Dont take that to mean that grading is arbitrary, because I dont think it is (except for maybe getting inside the top 15%), but there are a lot of smart people at Wake and paying full tuition and being in the bottom 50% will likely result in no job or a very low paying job.

As for faculty, I think it is hit or miss. I had/have some awesome profs, but Ive also had/have some very poor profs.

In terms of the facilities, I think they arent the greatest. Classrooms have temperature issues, hallways are skinny and crowded, and bathrooms are scarce.

Im just trying to be purely objective, but Ill reiterate that Wake was the right choice for me, even though there are some knocks on the school.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 pm

I concur with what everyone has said so far.

I am really glad that I came to Wake and wouldn't change anything. I have friends who did well, and I have friends who didn't do so well. I think the biggest piece of advice is to find out early on what finals are like and how to prepare for and take them. I think part of what sets those who did well apart from those who didn't is that the ones who didn't most likely didn't really understand how to take a law school exam. Other than one certain professor I had last semester, all of my law school exams were very different from any exam I ever took in undergrad. While you need to know the material, it is just as important to learn how to "spot the issues" and give an answer that explains the rule, how it applies to the facts, what the outcome will be...plus to do so in an organized fashion. I ended up right around the top 20%, which I'm really happy with.

I have been able to get my work done and have some fun. I attended all but 1 football game in the Fall and have been to two basketball games so far (Wake students get free tickets). I have found a great group of friends and we have fun going out or staying in. I also like the size of Wake's section (40 people) cause I feel like I've gotten to know everyone. And the professors are great about getting to know your names. What I'm saying, is that you make law school what you want. If you want to party all the time, that is your choice...but you'll eventually have to get down to work or you'll likely not end up happy with your grades. On the other hand, you don't need to study all the time. There is time to work and play (although the play time can be less during certain times of the semester).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Do any of you have any insight on the semester in DC program?

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:27 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Do any of you have any insight on the semester in DC program?

I do! I'm one of the 8 in the inaugural semester. Since this is its first year, all of this is subject to change, but here is how it worked/is working this time around. You apply over your 2L summer, and find out around mid-Julyish if you got in. This year, I think 25 or so applied, but I imagine it'll only go up, as a number of people who were interested didn't have enough credits completed to apply. We all get 13 credits for the semester, which is less than a "normal" semester, as you need to have about 15 each semester to hit the 90 required for graduation, so if you want to do it, you'll have to front load a bit. For the externship portion, you get 10 pass/fail credits, and you get 3 graded credits for the class component. The class meets once a week for two hours. I think they are aiming to keep it during the spring semester of your 3L year, but there was talk earlier about expanding it to the fall semester, too, so only time will tell with that.

We have a pretty wide range of placements this year. I might be missing one, but we have students working with the EPA, NNSA, ED, Metro's general council, the NAACP, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative, and the Vaccine court. As for placements, the director used a number of his contacts to make an initial list, but if you wanted to apply elsewhere, you were more than welcome to. You work 35-40 hours a week, and get the same spring break as the rest of your classmates.

So far, it's been a great experience. I like my office a lot and have gotten to do a lot of substantive work. I moved to DC "for good" because I'm taking the bar up here and am only looking for jobs in the area, so it's nice to have the opportunity to settle in before the madness of graduation/bar prep begins. Also, it's nice to have the ability to network throughout the spring semester, too. And, you get a solid resume line, and get to mock your friends who are stuck in class each day too, which is always nice. :)

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:

I do! I'm one of the 8 in the inaugural semester. Since this is its first year, all of this is subject to change, but here is how it worked/is working this time around. You apply over your 2L summer, and find out around mid-Julyish if you got in. This year, I think 25 or so applied, but I imagine it'll only go up, as a number of people who were interested didn't have enough credits completed to apply. We all get 13 credits for the semester, which is less than a "normal" semester, as you need to have about 15 each semester to hit the 90 required for graduation, so if you want to do it, you'll have to front load a bit. For the externship portion, you get 10 pass/fail credits, and you get 3 graded credits for the class component. The class meets once a week for two hours. I think they are aiming to keep it during the spring semester of your 3L year, but there was talk earlier about expanding it to the fall semester, too, so only time will tell with that.

We have a pretty wide range of placements this year. I might be missing one, but we have students working with the EPA, NNSA, ED, Metro's general council, the NAACP, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative, and the Vaccine court. As for placements, the director used a number of his contacts to make an initial list, but if you wanted to apply elsewhere, you were more than welcome to. You work 35-40 hours a week, and get the same spring break as the rest of your classmates.

So far, it's been a great experience. I like my office a lot and have gotten to do a lot of substantive work. I moved to DC "for good" because I'm taking the bar up here and am only looking for jobs in the area, so it's nice to have the opportunity to settle in before the madness of graduation/bar prep begins. Also, it's nice to have the ability to network throughout the spring semester, too. And, you get a solid resume line, and get to mock your friends who are stuck in class each day too, which is always nice. :)

This is very helpful. I'm interested in working for the government in some capacity, and Wake's externship program is very attractive to me. I'm glad you've had such a positive experience with it thus far, and I hope it helps you secure a good position upon graduation!

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Is it absolutely necessary to have a car as a law student? Or are things close enough together that a taxi, walking, bike etc would be enough transportation to get where you need to go?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Is it absolutely necessary to have a car as a law student? Or are things close enough together that a taxi, walking, bike etc would be enough transportation to get where you need to go?

You absolutely need a car in Winston Salem. I am from NC and have frequented the area a lot.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:

Wow, this is awesome information. Thank you for sharing! I want to do exactly what you are doing as far as settling in DC. This would definitely be a prime opportunity. I would love a placement with the EPA. When you say to front load for the credits, I assume you mean to take an extra class in 2L or 3L Fall. Did you find it hard to take on an extra class in order to gain the credits necessary to participate?

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:12 am

NCtoDC wrote:Wow, this is awesome information. Thank you for sharing! I want to do exactly what you are doing as far as settling in DC. This would definitely be a prime opportunity. I would love a placement with the EPA. When you say to front load for the credits, I assume you mean to take an extra class in 2L or 3L Fall. Did you find it hard to take on an extra class in order to gain the credits necessary to participate?

I actually did an abroad program after 1L year, so I had three extra credits to play with. But it isn't hard to fit in an extra credit or two during one or more semesters. An extra class would do it, and if you make a journal/moot court, you get credit(s) for your participation in those as well.

And, we have two students at the EPA this semester, one doing CERCLA stuff, and one doing something else which is slipping my mind right now. There's a Wake alum pretty high up in the Superfund office, so it's likely that an EPA placement will always be an option going forward.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 am

whenpigsfly wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Wow, this is awesome information. Thank you for sharing! I want to do exactly what you are doing as far as settling in DC. This would definitely be a prime opportunity. I would love a placement with the EPA. When you say to front load for the credits, I assume you mean to take an extra class in 2L or 3L Fall. Did you find it hard to take on an extra class in order to gain the credits necessary to participate?

I actually did an abroad program after 1L year, so I had three extra credits to play with. But it isn't hard to fit in an extra credit or two during one or more semesters. An extra class would do it, and if you make a journal/moot court, you get credit(s) for your participation in those as well.

And, we have two students at the EPA this semester, one doing CERCLA stuff, and one doing something else which is slipping my mind right now. There's a Wake alum pretty high up in the Superfund office, so it's likely that an EPA placement will always be an option going forward.

You have no idea how ecstatic all this makes me...even if it is 3 years out. lol

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Bulls wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships?

yup.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:16 pm

moandersen wrote:

yup.

Care to elaborate? I would love to get any information on this as I would like to negotiate for a little more with Wake. Thanks!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
moandersen wrote:

yup.

Care to elaborate? I would love to get any information on this as I would like to negotiate for a little more with Wake. Thanks!

sure. This will be a condensed version, since I know there are some longer versions floating around TLS, and homework has consumed me since second semester started.....

My situation was different than most because I did not receive an initial scholarship even though my #s fell into the scholarship range. So what I did was develop a relationship with Mrs. Nutt. I met her at ASD, had conversations via email, and visited her again when I was in W-S in the summer looking at potential apartments. This relationship helped her put a face next to my name/#s. Eventually I got a small(er) scholarship. Then (while on my honeymoon in a foreign country), I received a huge scholarship from a T2 in the city I was currently living in that would enable me to graduate debt free. I emailed Mrs. Nutt the offer from the T2 school, and told her my situation, which was more complicated, in depth, and personal than "T2 school gave me $$$, you got to sweeten the pot." She then called me up and we had a short chat, and she doubled my scholarship amount.

All of this to say, I think wake has a no negotiating stance, and will 95% of the time stick to it because I dont think anyone on this board was successful other than me. But I had two things going for me: 1. My #s were solid and would have likely gotten me an initial scholarship if I applied earlier and, 2. I developed a genuine relationship with Mrs. Nutt.

PM if you have any additional qs. The rule against perpetuities is calling my name....blah.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Any upperclassmen know if missing class for interviews is considered an "excused" absence? I don't think it is (and, thus, professors could dock points for missing), but I figured I'd ask anyway.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

According to NALP, there are approximately 69 students on Wake's Law Review, 51 on the Intellectual Property Journal, and then they don't list anything for the Law & Policy Journal (probably because it's pretty new, IIRC).
Anyone have an idea of roughly how many students total are involved in the Law & Policy Journal? Also, are those other two numbers relatively accurate?

Thanks

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am

MattThiessen wrote:According to NALP, there are approximately 69 students on Wake's Law Review, 51 on the Intellectual Property Journal, and then they don't list anything for the Law & Policy Journal (probably because it's pretty new, IIRC).
Anyone have an idea of roughly how many students total are involved in the Law & Policy Journal? Also, are those other two numbers relatively accurate?

Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but when I visited, my tour guide said that basically anyone who wanted to be on law review had the chance. Not exactly sure what was meant by that, but he said that there were only a few students that weren't on it that he knew and that was because they didn't want to be.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:15 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:According to NALP, there are approximately 69 students on Wake's Law Review, 51 on the Intellectual Property Journal, and then they don't list anything for the Law & Policy Journal (probably because it's pretty new, IIRC).

Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but when I visited, my tour guide said that basically anyone who wanted to be on law review had the chance. Not exactly sure what was meant by that, but he said that there were only a few students that weren't on it that he knew and that was because they didn't want to be.

Perhaps he/she was referencing something else, like clinics or secondary journals? Law review is extremely competitive. The top 10% grade on, and an equal number of students are invited through the write-on competition.

I can't speak to the exclusivity of the secondary journals.

presidentoftheworld

Postby presidentoftheworld » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:39 pm

NCtoDC wrote:

Thanks

That statement is utterly untrue. Law Review is very competitive...the only thing he could have meant is that the opportunity is there for anyone to pursue. As for the other two journals, you should check each respective website for all information you need. For reference, here is the Law and Policy Journal's site: http://lawpolicyjournal.law.wfu.edu/masthead/ .

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:47 pm

presidentoftheworld wrote:That statement is utterly untrue. Law Review is very competitive...the only thing he could have meant is that the opportunity is there for anyone to pursue. As for the other two journals, you should check each respective website for all information you need. For reference, here is the Law and Policy Journal's site: http://lawpolicyjournal.law.wfu.edu/masthead/ .

Cool. Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”