Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jdemmitt

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:11 pm

So how is the workload for a 1L? Is it pure death, or is it somewhat reasonable? How many pages are you reading a night, and how are the professors?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:46 pm

jdemmitt wrote:So how is the workload for a 1L? Is it pure death, or is it somewhat reasonable? How many pages are you reading a night, and how are the professors?

Very Reasonable. I never had a 50, 40 or even 30 page case to brief. A lot of times it was 5-15 pages. Although I didn't brief the cases... but thats another thing altogether

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:So how is the workload for a 1L? Is it pure death, or is it somewhat reasonable? How many pages are you reading a night, and how are the professors?

Very Reasonable. I never had a 50, 40 or even 30 page case to brief. A lot of times it was 5-15 pages. Although I didn't brief the cases... but thats another thing altogether

Agreed, both on the reasonableness of the reading assignments and the unreasonableness of briefing.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 am

How are the professors and what is the assignment load like, aside from reading? Is it just tests, or do you have other strenuous assignments? What are the extracurricular options? I heard that there are really only two clinic options available, has that hindered your experience?

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Very little busy work aside from the typical Legal Research & Writing stuff. 100% of the grades in each of my substantive first semester courses came from exams.

There are also plenty of pro bono opportunities if you find that you have spare time on your hands. Everything from tax preparation assistance to advocating for disabled veterans.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 pm

jdemmitt wrote:How are the professors and what is the assignment load like, aside from reading? Is it just tests, or do you have other strenuous assignments? What are the extracurricular options? I heard that there are really only two clinic options available, has that hindered your experience?

Wake now has 6 clinic options (http://academics.law.wfu.edu/clinics/). There are always things to sign up for and participate in. And you can always contact a group you're interested in working with and offer to volunteer. That is what I did.

My grades last semester were based solely on a final exam at the end of the semester, except for Legal Writing. This semester, one of my classes has a graded midterm, and the rest are solely based on a final exam.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Anybody know if WFU does CALI awards or anything similar?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:14 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Anybody know if WFU does CALI awards or anything similar?

I've heard 2L's and 3L's talking about them. Not sure how people find out.

placencia

Postby placencia » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 am

Yes, Wake does CALI awards. They aren't posted yet.

--LinkRemoved--

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:09 am

They'll be released in February according to the registrar.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:20 pm

class rank available at registrars office. Scale was a little harsh.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:class rank available at registrars office. Scale was a little harsh.

Harsh meaning that those with 90+ averages arent close to being in the top 10%?

Any idea for cutoffs of 25%, 33%, 50%?

I met with my 2L mentor today and I told him my average. He said, "You're ok. if it was last years cutoff, you are right around the X%." Now Im bummed that my one outlier is going to push me even further back :(

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:39 pm

moandersen wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:class rank available at registrars office. Scale was a little harsh.

I met with my 2L mentor today and I told him my average. He said, "You're ok. if it was last years cutoff, you are right around the X%." Now Im bummed that my one outlier is going to push me even further back :(

I have mine, and I would say that, if you have a 90+ average, you're almost certainly in the top 10%. I don't know about the other percentiles though.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Brutally bimodal distribution. The cutoff for top 10% is between a 91 and 92.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Brutally bimodal distribution. The cutoff for top 10% is between a 91 and 92.

Guess I was wrong then. Hope everyone ended up with what they were looking for anyway.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 pm

moandersen wrote:

20% is around 89.5

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:20% is around 89.5

crap. hopefully the gap between 20% and 30% is a couple of points. haha. maybe I will just live in ignorance for a while. Does the rank eventually show up on win?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:58 pm

moandersen wrote:

crap. hopefully the gap between 20% and 30% is a couple of points. haha. maybe I will just live in ignorance for a while. Does the rank eventually show up on win?

I don't think the rank shows up on WIN. Apparently, the registrar fights with the administration to put it up on WIN every year (I'm sure its a pain in the ass to have to print out 167 sheets and categorize them and give them to students). THe administration thinks the information is too sensitive- they are worried about hackers?
---> This is all what I heard from someone who said they spoke with the registrar. Everything else from him regarding grades has been true so far, so I believe it.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I don't think the rank shows up on WIN. Apparently, the registrar fights with the administration to put it up on WIN every year (I'm sure its a pain in the ass to have to print out 167 sheets and categorize them and give them to students). THe administration thinks the information is too sensitive- they are worried about hackers?
---> This is all what I heard from someone who said they spoke with the registrar. Everything else from him regarding grades has been true so far, so I believe it.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see how my class rank is any more sensitive than each individual grade and my overall GPA.....I'm sure you're right though. That seems like pretty typical thinking from the folks upstairs.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:32 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see how my class rank is any more sensitive than each individual grade and my overall GPA.....I'm sure you're right though. That seems like pretty typical thinking from the folks upstairs.

Not to mention all the financial data on win... :roll: Why can't the whole administration be more like the admissions staff?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 am

Finally got my transcript, and thinking of what could have been (ya, im still pissed at you Ks!).....tough curve. :|

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Fellow individuals who have been accepted to Wake Forest, have any of you received scholarship offers? I did yesterday and they also asked if I wanted to attend a luncheon and school function. I am considering going, I have to fly out to attend, and was curious if anyone else was as well.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:51 pm

Do I have any shot at WF with a 157 and a 3.6 (4.0 maj GPA)? :? I really like wake.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:15 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Fellow individuals who have been accepted to Wake Forest, have any of you received scholarship offers? I did yesterday and they also asked if I wanted to attend a luncheon and school function. I am considering going, I have to fly out to attend, and was curious if anyone else was as well.

You might be better off in the Law School Acceptances thread with that one.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Do I have any shot at WF with a 157 and a 3.6 (4.0 maj GPA)? :? I really like wake.

Major GPA won't count for much of anything. Unless you're an URM, chances are slim to none. You can check here for a better guess:

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”