Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lishi

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby lishi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:39 pm

To be honest I don't know, but I doubt. I've never had to wait this long and still not be able to see at least one grade.

lishi

Postby lishi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:04 pm

My news is never good. I have a friend who just talked to the registrar and she said we won't get grades for another few weeks. Despite the fact that grades are due tomorrow, I guess there are always some stragglers. They won't put up the grades until all grades are in.

Bad stragglers!!!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:56 pm

This pisses me off beyond belief. Selfish professors. My future and that of my family is on the line, but hey, no rush.

Thanks for the news though.

lishi

Postby lishi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Well at least as a 1L it may help with some OCI, since they won't be able to have your transcript yet. So you could apply and get an interview despite your grades.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:03 pm

lishi wrote:Well at least as a 1L it may help with some OCI, since they won't be able to have your transcript yet. So you could apply and get an interview despite your grades.

Except I'm straight out of undergrad with nothing remotely interesting on my resume... so i was hoping for grades to do it for me =/

Hmm well bidding ends on january 21, so maybe they will see transcript. And although I hope my grades will be good... meh... hate this stress. Thanks for the positive spin/attitude though :)

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:22 pm

lishi wrote:My news is never good. I have a friend who just talked to the registrar and she said we won't get grades for another few weeks. Despite the fact that grades are due tomorrow, I guess there are always some stragglers. They won't put up the grades until all grades are in.

Bad stragglers!!!

Figures. Another three weeks of nightmares about missing points on depraved heart murder is exactly what I was hoping for.

Kindly pass the absinthe, please.

lishi

Postby lishi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Heart murder? Was that Wright's Crim Law exam?

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:40 pm

In my dream it was on Walker's civ pro exam. Bad sign?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:43 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Figures. Another three weeks of nightmares about missing points on depraved heart murder is exactly what I was hoping for.

Kindly pass the absinthe, please.

ahh...
first time In a while
I've come into this thread
and had a smile

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Should I bother applying to gov't agencies and the like that have deadlines coming soon? Are they even going to both with me if I do not have any grades or anything super impressive about my resume (pretty average for a 1L straight out of UG I imagine)

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

lishi wrote:My news is never good. I have a friend who just talked to the registrar and she said we won't get grades for another few weeks. Despite the fact that grades are due tomorrow, I guess there are always some stragglers. They won't put up the grades until all grades are in.

Bad stragglers!!!

this just pisses me off. In mid-January there are deadlines for a couple minority 1L jobs that are heavily dependent on grades. If I knew my grades now, then I wouldnt have to waste my time on the applications, writing samples, etc..., if they (my grades) suck. This whole law school system is pretty messed up. I knew that going in, but still..... :?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:27 pm

moandersen wrote:

Bad stragglers!!!

this just pisses me off. In mid-January there are deadlines for a couple minority 1L jobs that are heavily dependent on grades. If I knew my grades now, then I wouldnt have to waste my time on the applications, writing samples, etc..., if they (my grades) suck. This whole law school system is pretty messed up. I knew that going in, but still..... :?

+1. It's ridiculous. There's no reason that professors can't have exams graded by the time we go back to school. I understand they want to enjoy their Christmas break as well, but it's part of their job. They have anywhere between 3-5 weeks from the time of the exam (excluding time for a week around Christmas) to grade 40-80 exams depending on how many sections they have. Even for those with only three weeks (and using only 5 business days per week: 15 days total), professors could grade 80 exams by grading only ~5-6 exams per day (assuming my math is correct). That definitely is not unreasonable.

plug1

Postby plug1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

I can see this is off topic but can any current students describe the social atmosphere and culture atWake and in Winston-Salem? How is the town, night life, bar scene, ect.?

Whats the social life on campus like? What about dating, hookups, guys/girls?

Thanks!

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Question: I was recently accepted to Wake Forest, YAY, and it is in my top 4 schools. What has the job market talk like been out there? I worry because UNC and Duke are also in the area.

Also, how are the professors? Thanks for your help.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:49 pm

plug1 wrote:I can see this is off topic but can any current students describe the social atmosphere and culture atWake and in Winston-Salem? How is the town, night life, bar scene, ect.?

Thanks!

There are a bunch of bars to go to. Every Thursday, there is "bar review" where students go to a different bar each week (most schools have this I think). I'm a 1L and I'd say at least half the class goes out each week, and the rest go out periodically, depending on their situation. Our class is pretty friendly and gets along pretty well. I like Winston-Salem. There is quite a lot to do without having to deal with traffic issues (having lived in D.C. for a number of years, that is a plus).

Dating/hookups occur. There are a number of couples who started dating this last semester (including myself). There is some gossip, but no real drama. I'd suggest trying to come to Wake for a visit, and see if you can find someone to take you out on either Thursday or Friday night.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:21 am

jdemmitt wrote:Question: I was recently accepted to Wake Forest, YAY, and it is in my top 4 schools. What has the job market talk like been out there? I worry because UNC and Duke are also in the area.

Talked to a duke grad over winter break at a bar in my local town. She said that not many duke grads stay in NC. She said it goes NY>DC>Atl>NC.

In terms of UNC, Wake is as good as, if not better, job wise. (when I applied, the most recent stats had Wake winning percentage wise and actual # wise on federal clerkships and better placement in BigLaw).

Basically, If you go to wake, you are competing with UNC grads (essentially on the same level) and a handful of duke grads. So, pretty good odds. Personally, I was looking at George Mason which was about tied with wake when I applied. Had I gone there, I would have been competing with much of the t14 as well as schools like W&L and W&M for the DC Market.

In other words, at many schools, if you make law review, you are not necessarily king of your market; there are still much more qualified candidates out there. But if you get Law Review at Wake, you are basically one of the top prospects for law firms in the state of NC. That being said, Charlotte has been hit awfully hard by the recession.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:26 am

moandersen wrote:

Bad stragglers!!!

+1, and the riduculous part is (ARE YOU LISTENING WAKE FOREST?) the administration is hurting itself. Every job that wake 1Ls cant apply to due to a delay in grades means more 1Ls competing over same positions= less 1Ls employed over all. And since 1L summer, if played right, can lead to employment upon graduation, or better opportunities for employment upon graduation, Wake Forest is hurting its US NEWS Ranking by doing this.

Oh, and not to mention, they are hurting their students. One of the things that attracted me to wake forest, and one of the things I like about it, is that students really do have good connections with professors. I could easily get 3 out of 4 of my professors to write great letters of rec. And I've had personal (ie non law related/only tangentially related) conversations with multiple profs. I feel like the professors really care/are interested in the students. But when they pull this shit... well... Maybe they just don't realize the impact... dunno... but grrr...

Not to mention prospective students are reading this...

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 am

jdemmitt wrote:Question: I was recently accepted to Wake Forest, YAY, and it is in my top 4 schools. What has the job market talk like been out there? I worry because UNC and Duke are also in the area.

AND WITH THIS POST...
GOING FOR THE HAT TRICK ...

The professors are awesome. out of my 5 professors, only one "hid the ball" and he did so unintentionally. In other words, theres no trickery and BS (or at least not much) going on. The professors tell you EXACTLY what they expect. After class one day I was talking to one of my professors (Taha) and he was saying that not "hiding the ball" and really making an effort to *teach* us the law is one of the things wake professors pride themselves on. If you've talked to people from other law schools, you will see this is a very rare quality in professors.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am

plug1 wrote:I can see this is off topic but can any current students describe the social atmosphere and culture atWake and in Winston-Salem? How is the town, night life, bar scene, ect.?

Thanks!

I think a lot of how you view Wake and winston-salem depends on where you are coming from. I think w-s is a pretty crappy town (putting it nicely), but I grew up and worked in a very large city. There are only a few bars, some of which are ok, however the positive is that drinks are dirt cheap. If you are from a smaller city or the sticks, I can see the appeal that w-s might have.

As for wake, its a pretty laid back atmosphere and for the most part everyone is friendly. Some of the professors are fun and engaging, while others are not, but Im guessing that will be the case with almost any law school. There does seem to be a decent amount of drama/hooking up from what I am told, which is a little ridiculous, but Im on the older side of the spectrum and am pretty sure I could have found myself in that type of situation if I was fresh out of ug and had a life again.

If you get $$, I would definitely considering wake as an option. If not, well....

mirrorimage

Postby mirrorimage » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Some grades are posted now on WIN under Final Grades (at least trial practice and some of the journals' pass/fail credit). I am not sure if the registrar is going to be adding more grades as they become available, but at least there is some activity on WIN now. I have never had to wait this long for grades, and it is driving me nuts!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:30 pm

mirrorimage wrote:Some grades are posted now on WIN under Final Grades (at least trial practice and some of the journals' pass/fail credit). I am not sure if the registrar is going to be adding more grades as they become available, but at least there is some activity on WIN now. I have never had to wait this long for grades, and it is driving me nuts!

Still nothing for me............thanks for the update though. Maybe more stuff will be forthcoming today.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:11 pm

mirrorimage wrote:Some grades are posted now on WIN under Final Grades (at least trial practice and some of the journals' pass/fail credit). I am not sure if the registrar is going to be adding more grades as they become available, but at least there is some activity on WIN now. I have never had to wait this long for grades, and it is driving me nuts!

goody goody goody!
Ty for info

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Grades up on WIN for Taha's CivPro, Wright's Crim and Simmons' Contracts. No Torts or LAWR as of yet.

Not happy with what I'm seeing though :?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Thx for posting that grades r up

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Any 2Ls know what the cut offs generally are for top 10, 20 30 %?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”