Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
shaynislegend
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby shaynislegend » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 pm

frogcandi26 wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice, everyone!



As for the food situation... are there any decent restaurants specializing in ethnic food, etc.? A quick google search tells me they exist, but wondering about personal experiences?


Good food is what Winston-Salem does best. Foothills, 4th street, Village Tavern, Sweet Potatoes, Burke Street Pizza... I could go on and on. As far as Ethnic good they have some good Sushi spots and a few Greeks restaurants near campus.
Last edited by shaynislegend on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frogcandi26
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby frogcandi26 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:30 pm

shaynislegend wrote:Good food is what Winston-Salem does best. Foothills, 14th street, Village Tavern, Sweet Potatoes, Burke Street Pizza... I could go on and on. As far as Ethnic good they have some good Sushi spots and a few Greeks restaurants near campus.


Thanks!! Super helpful!

pifhib2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby pifhib2 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 am

frogcandi26 wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice, everyone!

Was wondering about the car situation myself. Any idea if there is a website or something that details the shuttle schedule? Does it run to the grocery store and such? I've lived in a major city the past 5 years and had no need for a car/don't want to buy one now...

As for the food situation... are there any decent restaurants specializing in ethnic food, etc.? A quick google search tells me they exist, but wondering about personal experiences?

Seems like the top 10% have a decent shot at biglaw (based on the new NLJ250 info). What do most people say they want to do after graduation - public interest, government, clerk, boutique firms, etc? Are professors helpful in providing career advice?



http://facilities.wfu.edu/transport/ride-the-wake/

Not to grocery stores. Some of the places that the shuttle hits are within walking distance of one, though. My experience with the shuttles has been that you're just better off walking. They run twice an hour, take a long route, and make other stops on your way. The 30+ mins you spent on the shuttle and walking to the law building would be better spent just walking the entire distance (unless it is raining or something.)

Most folks just want a job. That's what you'll find at every law school. Some folks have experience/preference for certain areas, but currently the market isn't one that you can really demand stuff in. Numbers on the internet are numbers on the internet. You can be #1 in your class but if you're insufferable you'll go nowhere. You can be last in your class but if you bring experience and personality to the table you'll go far.

What do you mean ethnic, exactly? We've got Malay Chinese, Sushi Thai, Mooney's, a couple of Greek places, Golden India, Nawab, Thai Sawatdee... the list goes on. I think the best food around isn't any of the foreign places... we've got better places with Sweet Potatoes, Willows, and the like. Greensboro is about half an hour away and they've got a larger Asian community so you can find some nice Korean (and other) joints over there.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Yazzzay » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:12 am

pifhib2 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Just saw this thread, have a few questions. I'll try not to repeat anything I've seen answered before:

How is Winston-Salem? I'm from a decently large international city abroad and although W-S sounds quaint, it sounds quite small...
Worst thing about Wake Law?
What's the law school culture like? More cutthroat or friendly?
Does Wake stack the scholarship recipients in one section?


Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the responses!!!


If you're from the sticks WS is huge. If you're from a "decently large international city abroad" it will probably feel like you're in Podunk, NC. I like it.

The temperature in the building is never right.

I don't think it's particularly cutthroat. I've always found my classmates to be helpful. No stories about folks ripping pages out of casebooks or anything like that.

No, they don't stack. Do WFU scholarships even have stips on them? For a couple of years they didn't...


lol i realize "decently large international city abroad" is very ambiguous but yea, that's basically the one thing turning me off Wake Forest but it could also be a blessing in disguise. Thanks for the response!

frogcandi26
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby frogcandi26 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 am

pifhib2 wrote:
http://facilities.wfu.edu/transport/ride-the-wake/

Not to grocery stores. Some of the places that the shuttle hits are within walking distance of one, though. My experience with the shuttles has been that you're just better off walking. They run twice an hour, take a long route, and make other stops on your way. The 30+ mins you spent on the shuttle and walking to the law building would be better spent just walking the entire distance (unless it is raining or something.)

Most folks just want a job. That's what you'll find at every law school. Some folks have experience/preference for certain areas, but currently the market isn't one that you can really demand stuff in. Numbers on the internet are numbers on the internet. You can be #1 in your class but if you're insufferable you'll go nowhere. You can be last in your class but if you bring experience and personality to the table you'll go far.

What do you mean ethnic, exactly? We've got Malay Chinese, Sushi Thai, Mooney's, a couple of Greek places, Golden India, Nawab, Thai Sawatdee... the list goes on. I think the best food around isn't any of the foreign places... we've got better places with Sweet Potatoes, Willows, and the like. Greensboro is about half an hour away and they've got a larger Asian community so you can find some nice Korean (and other) joints over there.



Perfect, thanks for the response, pifhib2! I'm very excited to visit the area and campus in a few weeks.

Yanky91
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:04 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Yanky91 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm visiting the Campus on Friday and I'm staying the weekend. Do you guys have any suggestions of places to go to and things to see while I'm there for ASD (other than the campus)? Thanks for all the helpful info BTW.

User avatar
shaynislegend
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby shaynislegend » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:04 am

Yanky91 wrote:I'm visiting the Campus on Friday and I'm staying the weekend. Do you guys have any suggestions of places to go to and things to see while I'm there for ASD (other than the campus)? Thanks for all the helpful info BTW.


Go eat downtown at the 4th Street Filling Station or Foothills. Reynolda garden is pretty cool too, depending on the weather.

User avatar
zippernicus
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby zippernicus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 am

Yanky91 wrote:I'm visiting the Campus on Friday and I'm staying the weekend. Do you guys have any suggestions of places to go to and things to see while I'm there for ASD (other than the campus)? Thanks for all the helpful info BTW.


Willow's Bistro is awesome and I would recommend Foothills as well. Let me know if you want recommendations for bars, restaurants, outdoors stuff, or cultural places to visit....

For going out at night, there are lots of places along Trade Street, Burke Street and Fourth Street downtown, as well

pifhib2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby pifhib2 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Yanky91 wrote:I'm visiting the Campus on Friday and I'm staying the weekend. Do you guys have any suggestions of places to go to and things to see while I'm there for ASD (other than the campus)? Thanks for all the helpful info BTW.


Food: Sweet Potatoes (southern/soul/creole), Willow's (interesting spins on regular food), Finnegan's (Irish pub food, very vegetarian friendly), Mission Pizza (new, wood-fired pizza place), Jeffrey Adams/Hutch & Harris (good American), Mooneys (Mediterranean)

Drink: Small Batch (smallish, new bar, brew some of their own stuff), Foothills (the big, local brewery), Single Bros (its a bar), Silver Moon (its a divebar), Tates (craft cocktails), Finnegans (Irish pub), Bulls (another bar), Rec Billiards (bar with darts and pool), Social Club (bar with shuffleboard, plinko, and ping pong)

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby AT9 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 pm

If you had to choose between Wake for nearly free or Vandy for $90K to $100K, which would you choose and why?

Without ties to the state (but ties to the south in general), how tough is it to land firm jobs in the major NC cities?

User avatar
shaynislegend
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby shaynislegend » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 am

AT9 wrote:If you had to choose between Wake for nearly free or Vandy for $90K to $100K, which would you choose and why?

Without ties to the state (but ties to the south in general), how tough is it to land firm jobs in the major NC cities?


10k TCOA? I think about it like this; if the worst thing that could possibly happen happened you can pay off the interest and a loan of 10k. I think any entry level job could pay that off. So your risk is so low. 90k in a worst case scenario... After ten years that's around 120k+ with interest building.

Vandy may have a higher ceiling but the risk-reward at 10k and comparable employment numbers...

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby AT9 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
AT9 wrote:If you had to choose between Wake for nearly free or Vandy for $90K to $100K, which would you choose and why?

Without ties to the state (but ties to the south in general), how tough is it to land firm jobs in the major NC cities?


10k TCOA? I think about it like this; if the worst thing that could possibly happen happened you can pay off the interest and a loan of 10k. I think any entry level job could pay that off. So your risk is so low. 90k in a worst case scenario... After ten years that's around 120k+ with interest building.

Vandy may have a higher ceiling but the risk-reward at 10k and comparable employment numbers...


That is very true; worst case scenario at Wake is much prettier than at Vandy. And really, best case scenario at both is equally good. It's in the middle that Vandy seems to offer better opportunities. If I don't do well enough at Wake to get a decent job, I can always try a backup career option. With $90k - $120k in debt, I'll be forced to take whatever employment can best dig us out of the hole.

The debt load is very dependent on what kind of work my wife can find...if it's a decent job in Winston, we could potentially be debt free. It's more likely that we'll have to use a little loan money as she searches for something, but still, the freedom offered by a lesser debt load is incredibly attractive.

Yanky91
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:04 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Yanky91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm

AT9 wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:
AT9 wrote:If you had to choose between Wake for nearly free or Vandy for $90K to $100K, which would you choose and why?

Without ties to the state (but ties to the south in general), how tough is it to land firm jobs in the major NC cities?


10k TCOA? I think about it like this; if the worst thing that could possibly happen happened you can pay off the interest and a loan of 10k. I think any entry level job could pay that off. So your risk is so low. 90k in a worst case scenario... After ten years that's around 120k+ with interest building.

Vandy may have a higher ceiling but the risk-reward at 10k and comparable employment numbers...


That is very true; worst case scenario at Wake is much prettier than at Vandy. And really, best case scenario at both is equally good. It's in the middle that Vandy seems to offer better opportunities. If I don't do well enough at Wake to get a decent job, I can always try a backup career option. With $90k - $120k in debt, I'll be forced to take whatever employment can best dig us out of the hole.

The debt load is very dependent on what kind of work my wife can find...if it's a decent job in Winston, we could potentially be debt free. It's more likely that we'll have to use a little loan money as she searches for something, but still, the freedom offered by a lesser debt load is incredibly attractive.


+1
I want to amend what I said earlier. Earlier I told you I would choose Vandy, but I changed my mind. I agree with the above post. If I were in your shoes I would choose Wake over Vanderbilt. The fact that you will have such a minimal amount of debt makes it a decision that you can't go wrong with. Vandy, on the other hand, is still shaky.

User avatar
shaynislegend
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby shaynislegend » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:34 pm

AT9 wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:
AT9 wrote:If you had to choose between Wake for nearly free or Vandy for $90K to $100K, which would you choose and why?

Without ties to the state (but ties to the south in general), how tough is it to land firm jobs in the major NC cities?


10k TCOA? I think about it like this; if the worst thing that could possibly happen happened you can pay off the interest and a loan of 10k. I think any entry level job could pay that off. So your risk is so low. 90k in a worst case scenario... After ten years that's around 120k+ with interest building.

Vandy may have a higher ceiling but the risk-reward at 10k and comparable employment numbers...


That is very true; worst case scenario at Wake is much prettier than at Vandy. And really, best case scenario at both is equally good. It's in the middle that Vandy seems to offer better opportunities. If I don't do well enough at Wake to get a decent job, I can always try a backup career option. With $90k - $120k in debt, I'll be forced to take whatever employment can best dig us out of the hole.

The debt load is very dependent on what kind of work my wife can find...if it's a decent job in Winston, we could potentially be debt free. It's more likely that we'll have to use a little loan money as she searches for something, but still, the freedom offered by a lesser debt load is incredibly attractive.


When looking at the middle (which most of is will fall into) i can't believe Vandy is worth $90k more even over 50 years practicing. Looking at Law School Transparency the schools are pretty close. Now if it's about location that's different, if you want to work in Nashville Vandy is the better option. Nearly anywhere else... Ehh so similar def not 90k worth IMO. FWIW my wife found a job here in WS in a few weeks and I found a job within a month or so. Cost of oiving here is ridiculously cheap coming from ATL.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby AT9 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:40 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
AT9 wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:
AT9 wrote:If you had to choose between Wake for nearly free or Vandy for $90K to $100K, which would you choose and why?

Without ties to the state (but ties to the south in general), how tough is it to land firm jobs in the major NC cities?


10k TCOA? I think about it like this; if the worst thing that could possibly happen happened you can pay off the interest and a loan of 10k. I think any entry level job could pay that off. So your risk is so low. 90k in a worst case scenario... After ten years that's around 120k+ with interest building.

Vandy may have a higher ceiling but the risk-reward at 10k and comparable employment numbers...


That is very true; worst case scenario at Wake is much prettier than at Vandy. And really, best case scenario at both is equally good. It's in the middle that Vandy seems to offer better opportunities. If I don't do well enough at Wake to get a decent job, I can always try a backup career option. With $90k - $120k in debt, I'll be forced to take whatever employment can best dig us out of the hole.

The debt load is very dependent on what kind of work my wife can find...if it's a decent job in Winston, we could potentially be debt free. It's more likely that we'll have to use a little loan money as she searches for something, but still, the freedom offered by a lesser debt load is incredibly attractive.


When looking at the middle (which most of is will fall into) i can't believe Vandy is worth $90k more even over 50 years practicing. Looking at Law School Transparency the schools are pretty close. Now if it's about location that's different, if you want to work in Nashville Vandy is the better option. Nearly anywhere else... Ehh so similar def not 90k worth IMO. FWIW my wife found a job here in WS in a few weeks and I found a job within a month or so. Cost of oiving here is ridiculously cheap coming from ATL.


Well, if I finished around 35-45% at Vandy, I'd probably have a decent shot at biglaw type jobs. At the same percentage at Wake, my options probably wouldn't be as lucrative. But that would only be worth the gamble if that's the type of work I wanted, and idk if that's the case (biglaw sounds kind of miserable). But bedsides maybe the 20th to median points, I think options are similar from both schools.

Good to know about the jobs! Where is a good place for her to start looking for full time work? I know it's broad, but anything is helpful. She'll be graduating with a psychology BA in the summer, and likes working with kids.

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby cricketlove00 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:45 am

I know its been asked, but does anyone know if Wake is trying to lower their entering class this cycle? I know there was a bit of a bump in students last year...

abrahm
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby abrahm » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Is there any kind of outline share program that Wake Forest participates in. I know some schools really encourage outline sharing and posts old outlines for students to use as guides. Any suggestions for where a 1L could obtain such materials? Thanks!

ash0117
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby ash0117 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:27 am

cricketlove00 wrote:I know its been asked, but does anyone know if Wake is trying to lower their entering class this cycle? I know there was a bit of a bump in students last year...


Yeah, they are making the incoming class smaller. Because the current 2L class was unusually small, they wanted to make the current 1L class a bit bigger. Due to a weird admission's cycle, the current 1L class was very large - about 180 students. So this year they are trying to get to a perfect in between number.

ash0117
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby ash0117 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:28 am

abrahm wrote:Is there any kind of outline share program that Wake Forest participates in. I know some schools really encourage outline sharing and posts old outlines for students to use as guides. Any suggestions for where a 1L could obtain such materials? Thanks!


Wake Law Review as a course on TWEN. If you sign up for the course, you have access to their online outline bank. It's really useful and includes basically all doctrinal courses.

pifhib2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby pifhib2 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm

ash0117 wrote:
abrahm wrote:Is there any kind of outline share program that Wake Forest participates in. I know some schools really encourage outline sharing and posts old outlines for students to use as guides. Any suggestions for where a 1L could obtain such materials? Thanks!


Wake Law Review as a course on TWEN. If you sign up for the course, you have access to their online outline bank. It's really useful and includes basically all doctrinal courses.


This, exactly. All of your 1L classes will have outlines by prof/year. All of the regular classes (bizorgs, dead people, etc.) will also have outlines on there, too. Passed many classes just using those outlines.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 am

this thread shouldn't slip to page 6.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest