Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SteelyDan
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby SteelyDan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Keep in mind though that very few people actually get jobs from OCI. You're going to have to mass mail resumes and make cold calls no matter where you want to go... being able to tell people that you're from there and want to go back makes a huge difference. If you have any connections to employers there that you can exploit, all the better.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:06 pm

slawww wrote:I went to ASD this week and really loved the school. I have a question for 2Ls/3Ls in particular. My main concern is the portability of a Wake degree. I'm from Florida and, ideally, would like to practice back home. Would returning to FL with be a difficult task coming from Wake? Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious about Wake's drop in NLJ250 placement from around 15% to about 9 %. Does it seem like things should be starting to pick up now? Wouldn't those #'s be more representative of the 2010/11 economy? Thanks!


3L here.

If you're cool with making $40k or so in FL, then yeah you should be able to hustle something down there if you commit to busting your ass in the job search. But if you wanna work at Greenberg Traurig, Akerman Senterfitt, Holland & Knight, Carlton Fields, Gunster, etc. then you're almost certainly going to be disappointed. The big FL firms have tiny class sizes since the crash (w/terrible offer rates) and are an uphill battle even if you're above median from T14.

Regarding last year's NLJ numbers- I know of at least one NLJ firm employing 2 grads from that class that didn't report...meaning the actual number should be closer to 11%. Doesn't really matter though- it looks like our biglaw placement's going to hover in that 10-15% range for the foreseeable future. Some classes may have 3 or 4 more well-connected kids than others, but the range is pretty static. We haven't seen wild fluctuations in the number of firms attending OCI since I got here.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby slawww » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
slawww wrote:I went to ASD this week and really loved the school. I have a question for 2Ls/3Ls in particular. My main concern is the portability of a Wake degree. I'm from Florida and, ideally, would like to practice back home. Would returning to FL with be a difficult task coming from Wake? Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious about Wake's drop in NLJ250 placement from around 15% to about 9 %. Does it seem like things should be starting to pick up now? Wouldn't those #'s be more representative of the 2010/11 economy? Thanks!


3L here.

If you're cool with making $40k or so in FL, then yeah you should be able to hustle something down there if you commit to busting your ass in the job search. But if you wanna work at Greenberg Traurig, Akerman Senterfitt, Holland & Knight, Carlton Fields, Gunster, etc. then you're almost certainly going to be disappointed. The big FL firms have tiny class sizes since the crash (w/terrible offer rates) and are an uphill battle even if you're above median from T14.

Regarding last year's NLJ numbers- I know of at least one NLJ firm employing 2 grads from that class that didn't report...meaning the actual number should be closer to 11%. Doesn't really matter though- it looks like our biglaw placement's going to hover in that 10-15% range for the foreseeable future. Some classes may have 3 or 4 more well-connected kids than others, but the range is pretty static. We haven't seen wild fluctuations in the number of firms attending OCI since I got here.


Thanks for the insight; much appreciated. I know that the FL biglaw market really blows, but I would still like to aim for that, albeit small, chance. I guess my question is: would going to Wake put me at a disadvantage for the firms solely because I went to Wake, not because of the economy. That being said, I'm happy with a modest salary, and I really loved Wake, but I guess I'd like to know before-hand that coming back down the FL will be possible. Thanks again for the insight!

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 am

slawww wrote:Thanks for the insight; much appreciated. I know that the FL biglaw market really blows, but I would still like to aim for that, albeit small, chance. I guess my question is: would going to Wake put me at a disadvantage for the firms solely because I went to Wake, not because of the economy. That being said, I'm happy with a modest salary, and I really loved Wake, but I guess I'd like to know before-hand that coming back down the FL will be possible. Thanks again for the insight!



Nah, no disadvantage- going to Wake will be viewed the same as if you'd gone William & Mary, W&L, Tulane, and other peer schools. All of them have a smattering of alums at the big FL firms and have the same cutoffs for callbacks. Those same firms are probably slightly more forgiving on grades for students at Emory and Vandy.

Just gotta be aware that it's on you to get your hustle on during the summer before 2L to line up interviews at those places if you make the grades. None of them come to OCI.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

slawww wrote:I went to ASD this week and really loved the school. I have a question for 2Ls/3Ls in particular. My main concern is the portability of a Wake degree. I'm from Florida and, ideally, would like to practice back home. Would returning to FL with be a difficult task coming from Wake? Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious about Wake's drop in NLJ250 placement from around 15% to about 9 %. Does it seem like things should be starting to pick up now? Wouldn't those #'s be more representative of the 2010/11 economy? Thanks!


UF/FSU would make much more sense. Wake will give you no advantage considering your goals. You will need to be in the top of your class after 1L year to get Fl big law, so why would you go to a school that gives you less exposure to those firms? "Loving" Wake more than UF/FSU is not a legit or rational reason.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby slawww » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

moandersen wrote:
slawww wrote:I went to ASD this week and really loved the school. I have a question for 2Ls/3Ls in particular. My main concern is the portability of a Wake degree. I'm from Florida and, ideally, would like to practice back home. Would returning to FL with be a difficult task coming from Wake? Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious about Wake's drop in NLJ250 placement from around 15% to about 9 %. Does it seem like things should be starting to pick up now? Wouldn't those #'s be more representative of the 2010/11 economy? Thanks!


UF/FSU would make much more sense. Wake will give you no advantage considering your goals. You will need to be in the top of your class after 1L year to get Fl big law, so why would you go to a school that gives you less exposure to those firms? "Loving" Wake more than UF/FSU is not a legit or rational reason.


True, well, because I haven't gotten in there yet, and Wake gave me a pretty nice scholly. I'm not making a decision until I hear back from UF/FSU, but I'm curious about Wake's pull in FL. I know biglaw from UF/FSU is also really difficult, so I guess I just want to have the opportunity to get a decent job in FL in general.

rwilson37643
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:13 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby rwilson37643 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:33 pm

I will most likely be attending Wake this fall. I will be moving from Northeast TN with my wife and two kids. The local economy here is really in the crapper, and one major concern for us is employment for my wife. Does anyone have any current information about the entry level employment situation in Winston Salem or Greensboro?

User avatar
shaynislegend
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby shaynislegend » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:06 pm

bump.

pifhib2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby pifhib2 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 am

rwilson37643 wrote:I will most likely be attending Wake this fall. I will be moving from Northeast TN with my wife and two kids. The local economy here is really in the crapper, and one major concern for us is employment for my wife. Does anyone have any current information about the entry level employment situation in Winston Salem or Greensboro?


I don't know anything firsthand, but it seems that my classmates' significant others have managed to find work.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 am

Hungover and bumping to answer questions.

User avatar
shaynislegend
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby shaynislegend » Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Hungover and bumping to answer questions.


There is nothing like a Tuesday hangover. What are the odds of landing a summer position at some of the major players (Moore & Van Allen, K&L Gates, Hunton & Williams, etc.) and what is the best way to go about getting those SA positions?

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Hungover and bumping to answer questions.


There is nothing like a Tuesday hangover. What are the odds of landing a summer position at some of the major players (Moore & Van Allen, K&L Gates, Hunton & Williams, etc.) and what is the best way to go about getting those SA positions?


Odds aren't good man. If biglaw's something ya wanna do, make sure you really murder your 1L classes. No amount of schmoozing or networking will get you into those firms if you don't have the grades.
Last edited by IrwinM.Fletcher on Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelyDan
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby SteelyDan » Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Odds aren't good man. If biglaw's something ya wanna do, make sure you really murder your 1L classes. No amount of schmoozing networking will get you into those firms if you don't have the grades.


Or be a URM and have mostly good (i.e., still top 25%) grades.

User avatar
shaynislegend
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby shaynislegend » Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 pm

What are some "must do's and must don'ts" at Wake or W-S in general (housing, classes, SA opps, etc.)?

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Eat at Thai Sawatdee no less than twice a week and your life will be wonderful. Ted's Kickin Chicken is pretty damn solid too. For day drinking- Krankies is super credited, as are $3 pitchers at Rose's on friday afternoons.

The WS Opera is a great deal for students if you're into that kind of thing- show up an hour before the show and they'll hook you up with the best unsold seats available for $15 (real humans pay $90-120 for those same seats).

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Tue May 07, 2013 3:15 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Hungover and bumping to answer questions.


There is nothing like a Tuesday hangover. What are the odds of landing a summer position at some of the major players (Moore & Van Allen, K&L Gates, Hunton & Williams, etc.) and what is the best way to go about getting those SA positions?


Odds aren't good man. If biglaw's something ya wanna do, make sure you really murder your 1L classes. No amount of schmoozing or networking will get you into those firms if you don't have the grades.


True. I got MVA and Smith Anderson interviews through networking without having the required top 15% grades. No CB though because of their hard grade cutoffs. At least thats what I was told by a friend who worked at MVA. So really, the interviews were pointless. Or maybe I didnt 'wow' them enough.

K&L will go a little deeper (top 25%), but you really need to offer up something more than just good grades if you want them to dig that deep.

To answer your question though shayn, the best way to get these firms is to go to a school better than WF. Seriously.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri May 10, 2013 11:48 am

For any 3Ls who still care, a few grades are up already.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby moandersen » Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 am

PirateCap'n wrote:For any 3Ls who still care, a few grades are up already.


Gunner.

LOL. On pace for my worst semester in law school. Adios honors!

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:For any 3Ls who still care, a few grades are up already.


Gunner.

LOL. On pace for my worst semester in law school. Adios honors!


Eh. I didn't really care about grades until I saw one that was up, but now I can't stop refreshing . . . As for honors, same here. Ha.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby californiauser » Fri May 10, 2013 1:42 pm

What happened to that asian chick who was gunning for a yale transfer acceptance?

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby tstyler98 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 am

californiauser wrote:What happened to that asian chick who was gunning for a yale transfer acceptance?


She's still at Wake.

User avatar
InBetweenDays
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby InBetweenDays » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey all,

Great thread... I just spent ~15 minutes looking through it. I recently committed to Wake, and have aspirations of practicing in northern VA; is that a reasonable goal? I am from Maryland, and I do have some family connections in VA.

pifhib2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby pifhib2 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 am

InBetweenDays wrote:Hey all,

Great thread... I just spent ~15 minutes looking through it. I recently committed to Wake, and have aspirations of practicing in northern VA; is that a reasonable goal? I am from Maryland, and I do have some family connections in VA.


With a little bit of hustle and luck you'll be fine.


VA is the second largest employer of WFU students.

State – largest employment North Carolina 72
State – 2nd largest employment Virginia 11
State – 3rd largest employment District of Columbia 9

Stats for class of 2012 via http://career.law.wfu.edu/stats/

Incubateus
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Incubateus » Wed May 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Yes. Absolutely. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I really don't know a single person who didn't get a job where they wanted to even for there first summer. It might not have been their dream job, but everyone I know ended up where they wanted to be. That being said, I just finished 1L, but I still know a good bit of people.

User avatar
InBetweenDays
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby InBetweenDays » Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 am

Incubateus wrote:Yes. Absolutely. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I really don't know a single person who didn't get a job where they wanted to even for there first summer. It might not have been their dream job, but everyone I know ended up where they wanted to be. That being said, I just finished 1L, but I still know a good bit of people.


That's great to hear. Was the alumni network instrumental in placing people in their respective desired markets? The one con that I have consistently heard about Wake is the career services, that's why I'm curious...




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: asdfasdf8473 and 2 guests