Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kartal

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by kartal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:05 pm

I have couple questions for the current Wake law students:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How is the grading curve at Wake?

3. Does the school use the Socratic method?

4. What is your favorite part about your law school?

5. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options?

6. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

8. Do you feel the pressure of being in the Bible belt?

9. How do you rate the facilities?

Thanks in advance.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: DC portability. I'm aiming to be in DC after graduation, and think it's possible. While I was shut out of DC for jobs this summer, I blame my decently-ugly fall 1L grades, and not the fact I don't attend a DC school. A number of students from my class were there last summer, and will be again this summer. Plus, Wake has a DC interview program, and in the next few years (not sure exactly when, but soon) will offer a DC externship program during the year. I'm pretty jealous it won't be up and running before I graduate.

Re: going out. Yes! There is time to, and people do, often. PAD, the legal fraternity, sponsors tailgates before the game. Halloween and Barrister's Ball tend to be some of the biggest drinking nights, and people routinely go out of the weekend. And surprisingly, some people do find the time to get crazy, if that's your thing. But there is more than enough time to hang with your class socially.

Re: whole bunch of questions.
1. What is the typical section size? For the first year, you'll have no more than 40 in your classes. For writing, it's no more than 20. The upper level classes top out around 75-80, but some of the upper level seminars won't have more than 10 or so.

2. How is the grading curve at Wake? Thru first year, all classes are curved to an 85. There's no percentage breakdown, 85 just has to be the mean. Upper level paper classes won't be curved, or classes with a small number of people (I forget the specific number). Clinics also aren't curved.

3. Does the school use the Socratic method? Generally, yes, especially first year. I can only think of two professor who make students stand up when speaking.

4. What is your favorite part about your law school? Hmm. I'm going to say the clinic I'm in now (The Community Law and Business Clinic). It's been a learning process, for sure, but it's great to actually get to apply the law and work with clients, as opposed to just learning it (and subsequently forgetting it after the final).

5. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options? I like the tight knit community here at Wake. After going to a university that had 4000 in a graduating class, it's been a new experience to actually get to know all of my classmates, as well as my professors. I ended up here over Pitt and Richmond, and withdrew from a crop of WLs after getting into Wake.

6. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body? The faculty leans left. And the student body is pretty split, I'd say. In most classes, there is a wide range of views, and people aren't normally shy about making their views heard.

8. Do you feel the pressure of being in the Bible belt? Not really. It is different being down here, as I'm from PA originally, and went to UG in MA. I wouldn't say I feel pressure though.

9. How do you rate the facilities? They're pretty good. Check out the pictures on one of the previous pages to get an idea of what everything looks like. No real complaints.

Holy super long post, Batman! Sorry!

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions!! You're a huge help. I am visiting Wake next week and really looking forward to checking out the law school in person!

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey whenpigsfly, you are awesome with answering everybody's questions. You are a rare quality. You make me a Wake fan! If there is such award like "Best Law Student Question Answering in TLS", I am nominating you for that award. Is that you in your avatar?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 am

Apparently a lot of law students live here?

http://www.crowneapartments.com

Those seem ridiculously nice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:47 pm

whenpigsfly wrote: Holy super long post, Batman! Sorry!
Does Wake rank the students? Thanks.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:24 pm

kartal wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote: Holy super long post, Batman! Sorry!
Does Wake rank the students? Thanks.
According to the Student Handbook (pg. 22, available at http://law.wfu.edu/studentlife/handbook/):

Class Rank
A student’s class rank is available only upon the student’s written request. After the student
submits the request on a form provided by the Registrar, the Registrar will provide the class
rank to the student in a timely manner. Individual ranks are calculated for those in the top
50% of the class only. A percentile rank (in 5% increments) is assigned to all other students.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Did any of you turn down UNC for Wake, and if so, why?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Did any of you turn down UNC for Wake, and if so, why?
+1. Would love to know the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jss1100

Bronze

Post by jss1100 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:27 am

I believe lishi said she turned down UNC for Wake because she liked the feel of Wake more. Here is what she said:

"I got into UNC as well, and the main reason I easily struck that out was how unfriendly they seemed to be. In the admissions process they made sure to let us all know to NOT contact them with questions. I understand they may be busy but so is every other school. Wake never made me feel like they didn't want to here from me. I received plenty of calls from staff and students asking if I had any questions about the process. Also when I visited UNC it seemed like people may have been a bit more stuck up or just the competitive atmosphere was weird. But of course this is all subjective. In the end Wake places just as well as UNC does, so really I think if you debating between the two you should visit each and see where you feel more comfortable. Don't underestimate the power of comfort at a law school. If you go to a law school where you hate all the people you are going to be miserable, and likely that'll bring down your studying as well."

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 am

jss1100 wrote: "I got into UNC as well, and the main reason I easily struck that out was how unfriendly they seemed to be. In the admissions process they made sure to let us all know to NOT contact them with questions. I understand they may be busy but so is every other school. Wake never made me feel like they didn't want to here from me. I received plenty of calls from staff and students asking if I had any questions about the process. Also when I visited UNC it seemed like people may have been a bit more stuck up or just the competitive atmosphere was weird. But of course this is all subjective. In the end Wake places just as well as UNC does, so really I think if you debating between the two you should visit each and see where you feel more comfortable. Don't underestimate the power of comfort at a law school. If you go to a law school where you hate all the people you are going to be miserable, and likely that'll bring down your studying as well."

QFT :D

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:09 am

Any idea when we should start getting stuff after we've turned in our first seat deposit, and what it will entail?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 am

tstyler98 wrote:Any idea when we should start getting stuff after we've turned in our first seat deposit, and what it will entail?
To be honest there isn't much stuff that you should be expecting until late July/early August when you start getting your class sections and book list.

It sounds sad because you just want something, but besides the newest Wake magazine and a few emails it'll be a bit quiet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Do you know how many (or %) of admits received scholarships after the initial seat deposit of April 1? Ballpark figure? Im trying to keep my hopes low, but the question is how low?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I have no idea, and I couldn't really see any student being able to answer that question. People don't talk about whether they are on scholarship or not, let alone when they got it.

If I were you, I would just call the financial aid office and ask how many scholarships they usually offer. The admissions office is super nice, and will definitely not bite your head off for calling and asking a question

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 pm

moandersen wrote:Do you know how many (or %) of admits received scholarships after the initial seat deposit of April 1? Ballpark figure? Im trying to keep my hopes low, but the question is how low?
i'm curious to know this too. it kills me to think that turning in my app 2-3 weeks earlier would have gotten me a scholarship. i'm wondering what kind of shot i have after that april 1 date too...

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:26 pm

lishi wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:Any idea when we should start getting stuff after we've turned in our first seat deposit, and what it will entail?
To be honest there isn't much stuff that you should be expecting until late July/early August when you start getting your class sections and book list.

It sounds sad because you just want something, but besides the newest Wake magazine and a few emails it'll be a bit quiet.
I just remembered you get a hat, too. Not much, but hey, free hat!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:37 pm

I didn't get a free hat =(

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 am

lishi wrote:I have no idea, and I couldn't really see any student being able to answer that question. People don't talk about whether they are on scholarship or not, let alone when they got it.

If I were you, I would just call the financial aid office and ask how many scholarships they usually offer. The admissions office is super nice, and will definitely not bite your head off for calling and asking a question
I actually have an ongoing dialogue via email with Melanie Nutt. We have discussed scholarships in person on an ASD and through email, but for some reason I feel wrong asking a question like, "So, how many people after the April 1 deposit actually get scholarship offers?" or "Do you redistribute ALL the money from withdrawn acceptances, or only part of it?" I was hoping a 1l could answer. Ill just be patient - though its incredibly hard.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 am

You don't necessarily have to ask "how many people", I'm sure the number varies, but I think it's perfectly ok to ask "What are the chances of receiving a scholarship after the deposit deadline". "Do you find that after the deadline there is extra scholarship money for other students".

These are reasonable questions and wouldn't come off as rude or presumptuous.

ejed09

New

Post by ejed09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Was wondering if a wake law school student could talk about the social scene. Are students at the school close nit or are there cliques. Do most students live together? If so, where is a good place to live as a 1L so your no too far away from campus/fellow students.

Also on a unrelated topic, how find employment prospects for either dc, nyc or boston? I know wake is really strong in NC, but do firms from the big cities also interview (for internships/ FT)?

Thanks!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for taking questions. Do many students live in downtown Winston-Salem? The Nissen building seems like it might be decent.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Could anyone tell me what the curve is at WFU? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Could anyone tell me what the curve is at WFU? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
85...information about grades can be found here (http://law.wfu.edu/studentlife/document ... 9.2010.pdf), starting on page 19)

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi there - I'm a current 1L at Wake Law. I'm also in the new joint M.A. in Bioethics program, although I haven't started classwork for that degree yet.The other current students on here are already doing a great job answering questions, but since I used this message board last year, I'll go ahead and volunteer to help out as well. Feel free to PM me, if you'd like. Good luck with the application process! You'll never be so excited to get the mail again, after this period! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”