Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Relientkate

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by Relientkate » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Does anyone know who soutna0@wfu.edu is? If so, I'd like to buy him/her a beer.

risingdragon

New

Post by risingdragon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 am

Relientkate wrote:Does anyone know who soutna0@wfu.edu is? If so, I'd like to buy him/her a beer.
It may be better to send her/him a "good morning" via my the other 362 e-mail boxes.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 am

Relientkate wrote:Does anyone know who soutna0@wfu.edu is? If so, I'd like to buy him/her a beer.
He's actually a member of TLS.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Last edited by IrwinM.Fletcher on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:30 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Bump again to give props to the administration for shrinking the incoming 1L class to 130. There was a lot of displeasure (deservedly so) last year at this time about the mammoth incoming class, so it makes sense that we should applaud this year's choice.
what do you think about the rumors that about 20 ppl are joining the rising 2L class as transfers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:07 pm

girlonfire wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Bump again to give props to the administration for shrinking the incoming 1L class to 130. There was a lot of displeasure (deservedly so) last year at this time about the mammoth incoming class, so it makes sense that we should applaud this year's choice.
what do you think about the rumors that about 20 ppl are joining the rising 2L class as transfers?
Given the number of transfers and LLMs that have sent out school-wide emails just to let us know they're here (or because they want to see if they can get another Taken/Liam Neeson speech), I don't think it's much of a rumor. I'd say 20 (or more) is pretty accurate. If you're adding 20 to the 2L class, it pretty much balances out the 130 1Ls since we usually have around 150-160, so I don't think the administration necessarily deserves props for essentially reallocating new student spots from incoming 1Ls to incoming 2Ls. Even so, it's better than 180-190 1Ls, so I'll take it.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:22 pm

I think a lot of schools are turning more and more towards transfers to fill the coffers. They all pay full boat and, sadly, have little to no chance at OCI at a school like Wake.

With that said...I imagine the rising 2Ls will lose a fair number of people who transfer up. The class of 2013 had exceptionally low attrition at the top of the class but still managed to lose more than a half dozen folks in the 10-33% range.

LawyerMan

New

Post by LawyerMan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:20 am

A class of 130 would be great! Is this confirmed or just circulating through the rumor mill?

Also, does anyone know if Wake offers a discount on MS Office software? I know my undergrad sold it for $5 at the bookstore with a student ID and wanted to check before I dropped a hundred on the suite. Thanks!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:07 am

LawyerMan wrote:
A class of 130 would be great! Is this confirmed or just circulating through the rumor mill?

Also, does anyone know if Wake offers a discount on MS Office software? I know my undergrad sold it for $5 at the bookstore with a student ID and wanted to check before I dropped a hundred on the suite. Thanks!
130 in 3 sections is confirmed, we got an email from Dean Reynolds.

Email Ed Raliski (raliskes@wfu.edu) your Office question, he's the law school's IT guy who has sold it in the past. I think I remember something about our license changing and it not being available anymore, but check with him regardless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LawyerMan

New

Post by LawyerMan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:41 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
LawyerMan wrote:

130 in 3 sections is confirmed, we got an email from Dean Reynolds.

Email Ed Raliski (raliskes@wfu.edu) your Office question, he's the law school's IT guy who has sold it in the past. I think I remember something about our license changing and it not being available anymore, but check with him regardless.
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to email him. Wish the 0Ls had been included on the email from the dean... about them....

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:30 pm

It's strange that they email 2/3Ls about the 1L class size, and they email 1Ls with the book list when they don't know what section they're in.

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:It's strange that they email 2/3Ls about the 1L class size, and they email 1Ls with the book list when they don't know what section they're in.
The one we got wasn't particularly about the 1L class size, it was more about schedule changes and new classes for fall. They mentioned it as "we have more profs to teach you because they're not teaching as many 1Ls."

About damn time on the book list though, I got screwed waiting for books to come in last year (something you get to look forward to!)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jessemllr

New

Post by jessemllr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:03 am

When do we incoming 1Ls get our book lists?

jessemllr

New

Post by jessemllr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:05 am

Any Wake students here use LEEWS before 1L? If so, are you happy you did?

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:47 am

The book list is at registrar.law.wfu.edu under Current Semester Resources. It doesn't do you any good without knowing your section though, unfortunately.

I did LEEWS partway through the fall semester (the live program in Durham) and I really liked it. I don't know whether my grades were better for it, but I felt more prepared going into exams and wasn't as nervous as a lot of people. The live version is worth the money - you can find the tapes and books online for free (it's stealing though!), but honestly it's hard to stay awake through them. I thought the live program was a decent investment.

jessemllr

New

Post by jessemllr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 pm

SteelyDan wrote:The book list is at registrar.law.wfu.edu under Current Semester Resources. It doesn't do you any good without knowing your section though, unfortunately.

I did LEEWS partway through the fall semester (the live program in Durham) and I really liked it. I don't know whether my grades were better for it, but I felt more prepared going into exams and wasn't as nervous as a lot of people. The live version is worth the money - you can find the tapes and books online for free (it's stealing though!), but honestly it's hard to stay awake through them. I thought the live program was a decent investment.
Thanks. When do we find out our section?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 pm

jessemllr wrote: Thanks. When do we find out our section?
Call Jenny and see if they know yet. Might not be until the first day of orientation.

jessemllr

New

Post by jessemllr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:32 pm

So its ok if we dont get books until orientation?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:46 pm

jessemllr wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:The book list is at registrar.law.wfu.edu under Current Semester Resources. It doesn't do you any good without knowing your section though, unfortunately.

Thanks. When do we find out our section?
You'll be able to find out your sections on WIN. Go to "Virtual Campus" and then check out your Class Schedule. It'll be blank until they put everyone in sections. Last year, they were out at the beginning of August, but there has been a lot of changes this year because of the smaller class size. So, I'm not sure when the sections will be released.

You won't need your books for orientation, other than (possibly) the books for Legal Writing. They should be the same for all sections, so you should be able to buy those now. You won't need the rest of your books until just before the first day of class, so that you can do the first reading assignment.

jessemllr

New

Post by jessemllr » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:06 pm

So our sections just came out. Can anyone tell me about these professors (Suzanne Reynolds, Kami Simmons, Sue Grebeldinger, Mike Green, and/or Luellen Curry)? I have looked on ratemyprofessor and their faculty bios, but what should I expect? Thanks

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Is it necessary to buy supplements, and will the professor tell you which one(s) to use, or is it feasible to just use the assigned books?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”