Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gail

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:02 am

girlonfire wrote:Nepotism is probably pretty common amongst lawyers. networking, who you know, and your 'social hustle' is a HUGE part of the legal profession. Contacts can be and usually are very important. I know a couple of ppl with a lawyer parent(s), and a few more with an important uncle/family friend, but that's to be expected everywhere. it's not specific to WFU. You cant really be surprised by this, can you?

How helpful are your mentors for helping out with this?

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:04 am

Gail wrote:
girlonfire wrote:Nepotism is probably pretty common amongst lawyers. networking, who you know, and your 'social hustle' is a HUGE part of the legal profession. Contacts can be and usually are very important. I know a couple of ppl with a lawyer parent(s), and a few more with an important uncle/family friend, but that's to be expected everywhere. it's not specific to WFU. You cant really be surprised by this, can you?

I didnt even meet with my 2L mentor. And i met once with my alumni mentor lunch, and while he was very gracious & helpful, i didnt really make any 'contacts' out of it. (i did get a ton of useful information, though)
The school has LOTS AND LOTS of networking opportunities. I recommend joining Inns of Court or an active student group, and attending some of the events on campus. Also, you can research lawyers in the area with whom you have something in common (UG institution, or hometown), and you can reach out to them and start a conversation. That's proven to be a good strategy for me, who is not from NC, and has no real ties to this state.
tl;dr- dont freak out.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:21 am

Relientkate wrote:
mmk33 wrote:Regarding grades: what do current students think about the relationship between preparation/ability and grade performance (1L in particular). Earlier in this thread someone posted the cutoffs for grades, and it is something like 91.5 for top 10% and 88.6 for the top 25%, which seems to me a very narrow margin. With the median of 50% at 85.3, it seems that the top half of the class will be bunched within seven or eight points in terms of their average. And everyone agrees that grades are a huge determinant of job placement. So do you feel that grades are somewhat arbitrary, or their genuinely an enormous difference between the exam performance of someone who receives an 87 as opposed to someone who receives a 91 or 92?

Yes, it really is a narrow margin. I wouldn't say that there's genuinely an enormous difference between someone who receives an 87 vs. a 92, but that's just the nature of the curve beast. I'm not sure if this is what you're asking in your first sentence, but I -do- think that if you find a way to work hard and efficiently, you can improve your performance. As far as job placement goes, like girlonfire said, networking is extremely important.

This seems really crazy to me.[/quote]
This is actually pretty typical of most law schools. The difference between the guy who is #10 in the class and the guy who is #40 in the class isn't *that* huge of a difference. You really won't be able to avoid that anywhere you go to law school.

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 am

Gail wrote:

It depends on your mentor.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Relientkate wrote:
Gail wrote:

It depends on your mentor.

I never got a professional mentor for some reason. I met with the woman in charge of the program and asked for one, and still never got one. Oh well, I may have missed out on a free lunch or two, but thats about it. Most of my friends' mentors were of little to no help for networking.

Three weeks until my first final I have yet to even think about outlining and just changed a class to p/f. 2LOL.

Also, WF got a shout out on ATL --LinkRemoved--. Too bad it wasnt for anything positive.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:31 pm

Tuition decrease? In America?

Crazy talk.

Btw. Do law schools set tuition or do universities set it? I thought it was the latter at which point, the blame somewhat diminishes.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Brownsboro apartments. Anyone hear of them. I'm looking to go really cheap for living. 350 a month if possible. Want to take out as little as I can.

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Gail wrote:Brownsboro apartments. Anyone hear of them. I'm looking to go really cheap for living. 350 a month if possible. Want to take out as little as I can.

I've never heard about them, but I'll ask around. Are you trying to live by yourself or with a roommate?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:02 pm

I'd actually prefer a roommate. Three's company situation would be pretty sweet.

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Gail wrote:I'd actually prefer a roommate. Three's company situation would be pretty sweet.

There will be a housing list of people looking for roommates soon, and plus, there's House Hunt. If you're trying to find two other roommates, it probably won't be a problem finding something in that price range. Some of my friends and I live at Providence Pointe, and I think it's perfect for 1L year because they have mandatory quiet periods from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m., and most of the other residents are either BB&T employees or small families. http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartment ... nte/79984/

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:22 am

cool! thanks. btw. when it says something like $893 for 3 person apartment, is that between 3 people or is that each person paying $893?

It's embarrassing to ask, but I've never actually had an apartment. I lived close enough to UG to commute. Which might be a problem as well, I guess. Are landlords receptive to first time renters? Would they want a cosignor or something?

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:29 am

Gail wrote:cool! thanks. btw. when it says something like $893 for 3 person apartment, is that between 3 people or is that each person paying $893?

It's embarrassing to ask, but I've never actually had an apartment. I lived close enough to UG to commute. Which might be a problem as well, I guess. Are landlords receptive to first time renters? Would they want a cosignor or something?

from my experience, most complexes in the area cater to students, so first-time renters shouldnt be too big of a deal.

If ur going to have roommates, i recommend you all sign individual leases (or one lease as co-tenants) because then the burden is even- otherwise, the person who signs the lease will be responsible for all damages, deposits, etc.

My commute to school every day is about 3 minutes, and if i wanted to, i could take the shuttle to school (many complexes have a free shuttle to WFU). I'm moving in the fall, but i really cant imagine getting a place with anything longer than a 10 minute commute.

If a place says xxx for a 3br, it likely means total, not per person. I dont know ANYONE paying that much for one room in an apt. or house.

el William

Postby el William » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Gail wrote:Brownsboro apartments. Anyone hear of them. I'm looking to go really cheap for living. 350 a month if possible. Want to take out as little as I can.

I live in Winston and I would probably advise against these apartments. They are located decently close to Wake but the neighborhood gets pretty bad pretty quick. I used to work as a delivery driver and this area was off limits for delivery because of problems with drivers getting robbed.

I have had several apartments in W-S and in my experience it is difficult/impossible to find a suitable 1 BR apt for less than $500/month. However there are lots of 2BR apts that go for $600-$700/mo, so with a roommate this would probably fit your budget.

Also I would recommend looking in the downtown area. It is a straight shot down University Parkway to get to campus in less than 10 min. You can walk to the bars and restaurants, and there are a number of older homes that have been converted into Apts. and are really nice.

I will be vacating a 1BR w/ Washer Dryer and water included that goes for $525/month in May, so if you are interested in that PM me and I can put you in touch with my landlord (a really great easy going guy who fixes problems right away). Its located Downtown and I have loved living there for the last 3 years.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:01 pm

So how much are Wake basketball tickets?

I just bought some t-shirts and am getting pumped for ACC basketball. even if we're not very good.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:28 am

Gail wrote:So how much are Wake basketball tickets?

I just bought some t-shirts and am getting pumped for ACC basketball. even if we're not very good.

idk how much they cost... every week there's an email raffle and if u win they put a ticket in ur mailbox. usually, a lot of us will enter who dont plan on going to the game to help other people get tickets when they want to go...
and apparently, if you want a football ticket, you can just have one. no raffle involved.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:32 am

Gail wrote:So how much are Wake basketball tickets?

They're free as long as you get selected in the aforementioned raffle.

I promise you will never have any issues being selected as long as Bzdelik is the coach.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 am

You will get a ticket for free to the sports games UNLESS we are playing Duke or Carolina. That's the only time when all of the tickets get used. You can still get a ticket but you'll have to enter a the twice aforementioned raffle.

gman1978

Postby gman1978 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 am

I'm looking at the class of 2011 placement information (http://career.law.wfu.edu/stats/), and I'm wondering if there's any way to determine the number of students who pursued a clerkship following graduation. Any thoughts?

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:33 am

That Wake knows about:

4 Federal
6 State and local

Roughly 2.5% chance of a Federal clerkship and less than 10% chance of a clerkship overall.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 am

Gail wrote:That Wake knows about:
Roughly 2.5% chance of a Federal clerkship and less than 10% chance of a clerkship overall.

I don't know if I'd classify this as a "chance" - there's likely only a small segment of people who applied for clerkships. It's not something everyone wants.

gman1978

Postby gman1978 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:58 pm

4 Federal
6 State and local

Thanks!

By the way, does anyone have salary information? For class of 2010 it's posted even though only 62% responded, so I'm wondering why they don't have class of 2011 information even if it is incomplete.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:24 pm

SteelyDan wrote:

I don't know if I'd classify this as a "chance" - there's likely only a small segment of people who applied for clerkships. It's not something everyone wants.

Yeah. Chance is probably the wrong word. Didn't know how else to put it though. Just that very few people get clerkships, or at least report it). Exactly 10 from 2011.

Also, reason why WF doesn't have 2011 salaries is probably a combination of Wake students not being very good about reporting. Or not being very good at securing long term, well paying positions.

I took the ABA data from 2010 kind of oddly. NLJ has Wake at 15% for that year. ABA had Wake at like 11%. So not everyone from Wake who gets a good job actually even reports it.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 am

Yes, very few people from Wake actually apply for Clerkships. While I don't know who from the 3L class actually applied, but I of the ones I know who did, they got a position. I think a lot of people think they couldn't get one, so they don't bother applying. I'm planning to apply for the 2013-2014 term, but I don't know anyone else yet who is.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 am

tstyler98 wrote:Yes, very few people from Wake actually apply for Clerkships. While I don't know who from the 3L class actually applied, but I of the ones I know who did, they got a position. I think a lot of people think they couldn't get one, so they don't bother applying. I'm planning to apply for the 2013-2014 term, but I don't know anyone else yet who is.

I don't want to be douchey, but this is a little disingenuous and I don't want 0Ls to get the wrong idea. It is true that a relatively small portion of the class aggressively chases clerkships. However, implying that anyone who tries to get one can be successful is wrong. Really, really wrong.

We placed a tiny handful (as in, you can count on one hand) in D.Ct. clerkships in each of the last few years. This year, one person landed one COA interview- and failed to convert it into an offer. Article III jobs are extraordinarily tough to get out of Wake- top 10%/law review are pretty much pre-requisites. Wake also has an amazingly thin bench of alumni who are Article III judges.

State court clerkships, local magistrates, etc. are obviously much easier to snag- but these jobs (aside from state supreme courts) carry pretty much none of the prestige or subsequent job opportunities that 0Ls associate with the term "clerkship" as it's used on this site. And the pay is typically wretched at these lower-rung courts.

Just wanted to clarify these points. Keep calm and Red Bull on through finals, Worrellians.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”