Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WSULeifJ

New

Re: Wake 1L's taking Questions!!!

Post by WSULeifJ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks very much for the info lishi, I'm a west coaster (Washington) who just got accepted and am seriously considering making the 3000 mile move. It's good to know that a return is at least possible, if it's what I even want in a couple of years.

Is a one bedroom apartment affordable on a student budget in Winston-Salem?

smack4ud

New

Post by smack4ud » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Now that you're Number 1 in the country in the only thing that matters, what are you going to do now?

But seriously, why does the application ask about traffic tickets?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:15 pm

smack4ud wrote:Now that you're Number 1 in the country in the only thing that matters, what are you going to do now?

they also ask about act score... wtf?

smack4ud

New

Post by smack4ud » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:56 pm

dychen85 wrote:
smack4ud wrote:Now that you're Number 1 in the country in the only thing that matters, what are you going to do now?

I didn't even take the ACT... ugh.

BTW good drawing yesterday dychen85.

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Are there any areas close (or semi-close) to campus that are fairly rural where I could purchase some acreage? I am looking to build a house and am hoping for around 10 acres or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 pm

Since we lost yesterday, number 1 is long gone. Stupid VT. But hopefully we'll get the win over Duke next Wednesday!

And the application asks about traffic tickets because the NC bar makes you disclose them. Since a sizable portion of grads take the NC bar, the school decided to make everyone disclose them upfront. So don't worry if you have a few, it won't affect how they look at your application.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:01 am

smack4ud wrote:
dychen85 wrote:

I didn't even take the ACT... ugh.

BTW good drawing yesterday dychen85.
:oops: lol

are you pretty serious about attending wake?

smack4ud

New

Post by smack4ud » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 am

whenpigsfly wrote:

Since we lost yesterday, number 1 is long gone. Stupid VT. But hopefully we'll get the win over Duke next Wednesday!

And the application asks about traffic tickets because the NC bar makes you disclose them. Since a sizable portion of grads take the NC bar, the school decided to make everyone disclose them upfront. So don't worry if you have a few, it won't affect how they look at your application.
Yeah but Miss Botwin, I have like zero recollection of the pertinent details. And oh yeah, I forgot about the Hokies beatin you..... You need to hire some Korean kid to run the point for you next time... it'll scare them sh*tless.

jk. too soon?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:16 am

As far as apartments I find them incredibly reasonable. I also lived in a big city before I came here but my two bedroom apartment is $900 a month, so the one bedrooms are prolly in the 700s-800s.

As far as houses I don't know much about that because I didn't really look for that when I came down, but waytofailself might know more about that. He has a house here so I'm sure he's more familiar with all of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Is it really true that the school gives free ride scholly's to about 15% of the incoming class? What type of numbers do you think I would need to get one of these?

Also, Does it snow in Winston-Salem? Are there many jewish students at this law school?

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm

I am also interested in scholarship info. I know we'll hear soon but if anyone knows I'd love to hear. I hope I will get something (163/3.65).

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Jay Phatsby wrote:Is it really true that the school gives free ride scholly's to about 15% of the incoming class? What type of numbers do you think I would need to get one of these?

Also, Does it snow in Winston-Salem? Are there many jewish students at this law school?
15 percent sounds reasonable. And the numbers range pretty widely. Some are given to those over both 75 percentiles, while others are thrown at those with 170+ LSATs with really lousy GPAs.

It does snow Winston, but not a whole lot. We had a half day on Tuesday because there was an half inch on the road. It was pretty sweet.

And the jewish population here is pretty small. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one jewish student in my 36 person section.
ClemsonGrad wrote:I am also interested in scholarship info. I know we'll hear soon but if anyone knows I'd love to hear. I hope I will get something (163/3.65).
You have an excellent shot at money. I'd guess about 35-45K.

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:45 pm

If I have a 3.4 what LSAT do you think I would need to get a free ride? I am guessing 168-170?

wwarren

New

Post by wwarren » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Along the same lines... do I have a chance of any money with a 161/3.5 or should I just be happy with an acceptance (if/when it comes).

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:03 pm

I already asked this on another Wake Forest thread, but maybe someone who only reads this one knows -- what is the percentage of in-state to out-of-state students? Just curious. Thanks!

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Jay Phatsby wrote:If I have a 3.4 what LSAT do you think I would need to get a free ride? I am guessing 168-170?
That sounds about right. Take it with a grain of salt though, because with the economy the way it is now, they might not throw as much money around as they have in previous years.
wwarren wrote:Along the same lines... do I have a chance of any money with a 161/3.5 or should I just be happy with an acceptance (if/when it comes).
I'd guess very little chance for money, unfortunately.
tchadwick wrote:I already asked this on another Wake Forest thread, but maybe someone who only reads this one knows -- what is the percentage of in-state to out-of-state students? Just curious. Thanks!
I know they told us the figure during orientation, but I have long since forgotten it. But I want to say that in-staters make up around a third of the class though. So let's say somewhere between 30 and 40 percent, just to be safe (Correct if I'm wrong other 1Ls!) The 1L class is made up of students from 33 different states though, so there is a good mix.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Agh! Hit the wrong button, accidentally unsubscribed (again...) Just getting back on the list...

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:31 pm

ClemsonGrad wrote:Are there any areas close (or semi-close) to campus that are fairly rural where I could purchase some acreage? I am looking to build a house and am hoping for around 10 acres or so.
Yes.

tchadwick

New

Re: Wake 1Ls taking Questions!!!

Post by tchadwick » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:49 pm

OMG, I love your screename/profile pic, Dick Whitman! I've been watching that show since Day 1. (Psuedo-)Don Draper's my man!

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:52 pm

good places to look for housing in ws? what parts of town do you all live in? what are you all doing for work this summer? how's the social life for families??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm

tha trev wrote:good places to look for housing in ws? what parts of town do you all live in?
The place where most students live is in the Crowne Apartments at either Polo, Oaks, or Park. Here is the website if you want to check it out. --LinkRemoved--

They are all about a five minute drive to school if not less.
tha trev wrote:what are you all doing for work this summer? how's the social life for families??
I'm working for the first six weeks of the summer and then studying abroad in Italy for the last six weeks. I'm still interviewing at a few places in NC this week and next week, but I also already have an offer to intern for a judge in Philadelphia if that's what I want. As far as the other WF students on the site I'll let them answer, because I don't want to out someone unless they are comfortable with it.

Oh and I have no idea about the social life for families. My only family is my cat and she loves the bugs and woods.

teege

New

Post by teege » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 am

Last edited by teege on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:39 am

teege wrote:Question -- my SO plans to be at UNC. How feasible would it be for us to live together if I went to WF law. Could we live in Greensboro? Anyone go to WF law and live out there? Any other ideas? Thankss!
Hm...I think it might be a little difficult, but doable if that's what you want! The problem with UNC is that the parking situation sucks. You might get lucky and get parking near the law school or might have to park and walk/take the bus. I think door-to-door you’re looking at an hour and a half. That’s a pretty rough commute everyday. And traffic on I-40 (the highway that you take to Chapel Hill from Greensboro) is always busy. For you, Greensboro would be a great place! Winston Salem is like 20 minutes tops!

Let me know if you have any questions. I went to UNC for undergrad! :mrgreen:

PS, living near Elon/in Burlington might be good for the both of you. It's about 30-45 minutes to Chapel Hill and 25-30 minutes to Greensboro. And cheaper!

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 pm

For UNC & Wake: if you both like commuting a lot, go for it.

1) UNC 1Ls do not get to park on campus last I checked (which was last year when I was applying). The parking lot is tiny tiny, but many people on campus use the shuttle system so it isn't that huge of a deal.

2) Greensboro would be 40 minutes from WFU (depending on where you lived) but at least 1.5 hours, if not 2 hours from Chapel Hill (maybe I'm overestimating, I'm kind of fuzzy tonight). You'd need to live a little further east. I agree with the burlington comment.

3) If you're willing to drive 15-20 minutes to campus, you can get a 1 bedroom apartment for $600 easily. You won't be near many of your classmates though.

4) 10 arce lots? Stokes, Yadkin, and Davidson county all have what you're looking for. Stokes is the closest, and land there is the cheapest.

5) For people asking about money, I had a 164/3.56 and I had to wait until the last second before I heard anything about money (half tuition, and even then, the scholarship was because I'm from NC and with financial need). Take that for what you will (I'm not a URM btw)

5.5) Male:female at WFU is 60:40 or so. Probably more skewed towards male. Absolutely certain 1L population is less than 10% minority. Maybe closer to 5%.

6) How about last night? My LRW prof is a huge Duke fan. Shame the class was optional and very few people were there.

7) I really need to get back to work. No kiddie gloves in second semester: I have a memo due tomorrow and reading assignments for all four of my classes. This isn't unique to WFU, but I thought I should spread the word of the reality you get to face in law school. You hear it's hard, then first semester seems like it's a lot of work but pretty manageable. Second semester 1L they turn up the heat. Apparently 1st semester 2L it increases even more. Can't wait.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”