Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
traehekat

Gold

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Set up a class visit and tour on Friday. Going to be a long, long drive to North Carolina from Illinois, but luckily my buddy is making the road trip with me to check out the Winston-Salem and Charlotte area.

Anyone know of any good restaurants/hot spots I should check out while I am in Winston-Salem? I really want to get a feel for the law school culture, the campus, and the town itself.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Does anyone currently at Wake know whether students get discounts on their cell phones by being a student? I know some schools have deals in place with cell carriers, and I wanted to know if Wake offered this.

Also, when I visited in February, one of our guides said that it was pretty safe to leave your laptop in the library if you needed to run to the bathroom. Is this true? Do you recommend getting a laptop lock?

Thanks!!!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm guessing that all of the usual WF students on here have left us to study for finals, so we might not be hearing from them for a while.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:15 pm

That would be my guess too. But I'm in no hurry. :D

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Sun May 02, 2010 11:27 am

tstyler98 wrote:Does anyone currently at Wake know whether students get discounts on their cell phones by being a student? I know some schools have deals in place with cell carriers, and I wanted to know if Wake offered this.

Also, when I visited in February, one of our guides said that it was pretty safe to leave your laptop in the library if you needed to run to the bathroom. Is this true? Do you recommend getting a laptop lock?
Yeah, finals kinda took over life (but they are done now, yay!), so sorry for the late response!

I've never heard of cell phone discounts for being a student. I'd say if it isn't mentioned on the admitted students page, it probably isn't something Wake participates in.

And I always feel comfortable leaving my laptop for bathroom breaks, or quick trips to someone's office, but I don't know about much longer than that. There is almost always someone around in the library (especially since its now open 24/7), and its very common just to ask the person next to it to keep an eye on it for you. That being said, there have been a few thefts over the last few years, but as long as you are smart about it, I wouldn't say a lock is necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:05 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:Does anyone currently at Wake know whether students get discounts on their cell phones by being a student? I know some schools have deals in place with cell carriers, and I wanted to know if Wake offered this.

Yeah, finals kinda took over life (but they are done now, yay!), so sorry for the late response!

I've never heard of cell phone discounts for being a student. I'd say if it isn't mentioned on the admitted students page, it probably isn't something Wake participates in.

And I always feel comfortable leaving my laptop for bathroom breaks, or quick trips to someone's office, but I don't know about much longer than that. There is almost always someone around in the library (especially since its now open 24/7), and its very common just to ask the person next to it to keep an eye on it for you. That being said, there have been a few thefts over the last few years, but as long as you are smart about it, I wouldn't say a lock is necessary.
Thanks whenpigsfly!!! Hope you did well on your finals.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:59 pm

I came across someone talking about having their casebooks unbound, so that they only had to carry the pages required for class (versus the whole book). Do you know if that is a good idea? I think it'd be great so you wouldn't have to carry all of your books around. But I don't know if there would be any downsides to it.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Tue May 11, 2010 3:30 pm

tstyler98 wrote:I came across someone talking about having their casebooks unbound, so that they only had to carry the pages required for class (versus the whole book). Do you know if that is a good idea? I think it'd be great so you wouldn't have to carry all of your books around. But I don't know if there would be any downsides to it.
I for one don't mind hauling them around. Lockers are given out on a first come, first served basis, but pretty much anyone who wants one can get one, so it's very easy just to keep your books there. Plus, profs may refer back to something from earlier in the semester. I can see the advantages of having just the pages for the day's class, but I know I'd for sure lose some of them!

Also, the WF class of 2013 page makes me sad. Step up your game guys!

sufjan

Bronze

Post by sufjan » Tue May 11, 2010 4:49 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:Also, the WF class of 2013 page makes me sad. Step up your game guys!
do you mean on facebook?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 pm

sufjan wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:Also, the WF class of 2013 page makes me sad. Step up your game guys!
do you mean on facebook?
Nah, the one over in the "discuss your law school" section. Despite the lack of chatter, it does seem like there a number of TLSers who have committed to Wake though, which is exciting. My year there were like three of us.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Any chance any current students can recommend which E&Es, hornbooks, etc. to use? I know there are some that are generally well-respected regardless of the school (e.g. Glannon for Civ. Pro.), but are there any that should be specifically used for WF? (I don't think anyone has asked this in this thread, but, if they have, feel free to laugh at me and to chastise me for not using the search feature correctly.)

Tave

New

Post by Tave » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:15 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Any chance any current students can recommend which E&Es, hornbooks, etc. to use? I know there are some that are generally well-respected regardless of the school (e.g. Glannon for Civ. Pro.), but are there any that should be specifically used for WF? (I don't think anyone has asked this in this thread, but, if they have, feel free to laugh at me and to chastise me for not using the search feature correctly.)
Your teacher will either tell you which hornbooks he/she likes the most on their syllabus or they will be upfront with you if you ask. Off the top of my head, Walker (civ pro) prefers Glannon. I know a lot of my classmates also had success with the Arthur Miller tapes.

C. Rose (Crim, one of my favorite teachers) lists some hornbooks on his syllabus, but he's really honed his lesson plan over the years, and I don't see why you would use one. You need to learn the material his way, and he'll do everything he can to make that happen. He also outlines the entire class for you in his review sessions.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Tave wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Any chance any current students can recommend which E&Es, hornbooks, etc. to use? I know there are some that are generally well-respected regardless of the school (e.g. Glannon for Civ. Pro.), but are there any that should be specifically used for WF? (I don't think anyone has asked this in this thread, but, if they have, feel free to laugh at me and to chastise me for not using the search feature correctly.)
Your teacher will either tell you which hornbooks he/she likes the most on their syllabus or they will be upfront with you if you ask. Off the top of my head, Walker (civ pro) prefers Glannon. I know a lot of my classmates also had success with the Arthur Miller tapes.

C. Rose (Crim, one of my favorite teachers) lists some hornbooks on his syllabus, but he's really honed his lesson plan over the years, and I don't see why you would use one. You need to learn the material his way, and he'll do everything he can to make that happen. He also outlines the entire class for you in his review sessions.
Thanks! That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Do any current students have an opinion about Providence Pointe Apartments or Brookford Place Apartments? Both claim to house some law students, so I was hoping that maybe one of you guys happened to be one of those students.

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Can you recommend apartment complexes that allow large dogs and are close to campus and not too expensive? Also, are there any complexes that house a lot of law students?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 pm

I don't remember seeing it, so could any current students tell me how OCI works at WFU? Is it a lottery, or how does it work?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:10 am

PirateCap'n wrote:I don't remember seeing it, so could any current students tell me how OCI works at WFU? Is it a lottery, or how does it work?
i asked this question during the ASD and was told that oci is not grade-exclusive, and you can bid for whoever you want. Im sure there is a limit on the # of bids, but thats all I got. a current student will def know more details than that though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:00 am

What should we bring to orientation? Do we need anything the first day (Friday) where it just seems to be pictures and computers? What about the rest of the week?

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:48 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:What should we bring to orientation? Do we need anything the first day (Friday) where it just seems to be pictures and computers? What about the rest of the week?
Friday will just be pics and computers, that's it. I'd recommend wearing a jacket for the picture, as it will stick with you for the next three years. Most people usually rock the blazer and shorts/skirt combo, as it will be hot, and after the picture there's no reason to be dressed up for the rest of the day. I got there really early, was in and out in 5 minutes, then went home to sleep for another two hours.

I can't think of anything else you'd need for the rest of the week. They normally blast the AC when it's hot, so maybe a sweatshirt? Outside of normal school things that you should bring for your writing class, you shouldn't need much.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:I don't remember seeing it, so could any current students tell me how OCI works at WFU? Is it a lottery, or how does it work?
i asked this question during the ASD and was told that oci is not grade-exclusive, and you can bid for whoever you want. Im sure there is a limit on the # of bids, but thats all I got. a current student will def know more details than that though.
You're right. Not grade exclusive, per se, and you can bid with any employer. I think the limit is 99 bids, but no one ever really approaches that, so that's not an issue. Some employers will have a "Top xx percent" requirement, but that shouldn't stop you from bidding. Others will just say top whatever percent "recommended." Either way, if you want to bid, Career Services suggests you should bid away. This year, in addition to OCI (I think there are 6 sessions this year), there are two resume collects, and a number of off-campus interview programs - DC, New England, and Texas to name a few.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 am

Hello all you lovely people applying to law school this year! As old 3Ls at Wake, if you have any questions me or wpf (yes, I am offering her services without asking) are here to help! Let us know

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 pm

lishi wrote:Hello all you lovely people applying to law school this year! As old 3Ls at Wake, if you have any questions me or wpf (yes, I am offering her services without asking) are here to help! Let us know
I too offer my expertise about Wake as a 1L. Don't hesitate to ask us questions. Lishi's and whenpigsfly's advice was invaluable both when I was applying to Wake and after I had been accepted.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Would I feel uncomfortable coming from Florida? How are the people are they friendly with the southern hospitality? What about religion? Hows Winston-Salem

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:44 pm

If I'm from California and feel comfortable, you will definitely feel comfortable from Florida. People are nice. Of course there will be catty and rude people, but you will get that at EVERY law school. In general, people are helpful and share study/class tips. No worries about people purposefully trying to you.

As far as religion, I think you would be fine. Of course, I don't know what you believe, but we have people all over the board. We're in the south, so there does seem to be more Baptists, but no one is constantly pressuring you about religion. In fact it's rarely talked about except for between friends, if that.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:47 pm

lishi wrote:If I'm from California and feel comfortable, you will definitely feel comfortable from Florida. People are nice. Of course there will be catty and rude people, but you will get that at EVERY law school. In general, people are helpful and share study/class tips. No worries about people purposefully trying to you.

As far as religion, I think you would be fine. Of course, I don't know what you believe, but we have people all over the board. We're in the south, so there does seem to be more Baptists, but no one is constantly pressuring you about religion. In fact it's rarely talked about except for between friends, if that.

That's good to hear, how is Winston-Salem and is the law school is near the undergrad? Is mostly everyone from NC and wear polos and boat shoes? Is it worth to come up there and big question is there an airport near there?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”