Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SocalPizza

New

Re: Wake 1Ls taking Questions!!!

Post by SocalPizza » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Any current Wake students (or recent grads) available for answering last-minute decision questions? Could you leave respond here or leave your email if so? Thanks!

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Ah, visited the Wake Law School and talked to the Dean of Admissions today. I was VERY impressed, Wake shot from my number 4 choice (behind UNC, UGA, and Alabama) to quite possibly number one since I'd really like to get away from UNC since I've been here for UG. I mostly wanted to ask if I had any shot at scholarship money with a 165/3.21 or even getting in for that matter? And also how is the social scene since Winston is so small and less of a college town than say Chapel Hill?

One more thing- have any of you taken any of the sports law classes with Tim Davis? And if so how were they? They sounded fascinating.

Thanks for the help!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:51 am

You can ask questions here and we'll try to answer them. Also you could use the pm feature for questions that may be too personal.
tarheel87 wrote:I mostly wanted to ask if I had any shot at scholarship money with a 165/3.21 or even getting in for that matter? And also how is the social scene since Winston is so small and less of a college town than say Chapel Hill?
I'm guessing since it's July you are on the waitlist. If not then this probably won't be helpful. If you're on the waitlist I think your chances of getting a scholarship are slim. By now I think most of the scholarship money will already have been given out to people that were accepted earlier. About whether you'll get in or not, I truly believe that Wake looks at much more than numbers. Write them a LOCI telling them about your visit to Wake, how much you liked it, how interested you are in Professor Davis' classes, and how they are now your number one. Wake wants people that want to go here and are excited to be there. Show them that and I think you'll definitely have a chance.
tarheel87 wrote:One more thing- have any of you taken any of the sports law classes with Tim Davis? And if so how were they? They sounded fascinating.
Most of us on here are just going into our 2L year so we haven't been able to take any electives yet. But I'm sure if you do come here there are 3Ls you can ask, or before you make your schedule for your 2L year you can ask some of the past students. I didn't have Professor Davis so I don't really know what his teaching style is like. Sorry.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:36 am

lishi, i suspect he's looking at wake for class of 2013.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:54 pm

ahhh I guess that does make more sense. Class of 2013 sounds so far away.

Well then I think you have good numbers to get in and get a scholarship. Take the advice that I said about the LOCI and if Wake is your number one, I would try to incorporate that into one of your essays for them. Good Luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:06 am

lishi wrote:ahhh I guess that does make more sense. Class of 2013 sounds so far away.

Well then I think you have good numbers to get in and get a scholarship. Take the advice that I said about the LOCI and if Wake is your number one, I would try to incorporate that into one of your essays for them. Good Luck!!
Yeah I am looking at class of 2013, but thanks for the advice. I was very unsure of Wake and I am still rather unsure of its price (especially compared to UNC's in-state tuition) but if I got a scholarship there I don't know if I'd be able to turn it down. That said I think I'll focus on simply gaining admission now. I'm sure I'll be throwing more questions your way as the time gets closer haha.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:39 am

I guess this topics name should be change to "Wake 2Ls taking Questions", but I was just wondering how the new Wake 1Ls were doing with their first week of school.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey lishi. I sent you a PM. If you get a chance, I'd love to hear back from you.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Two quick questions for all of you.

1) I've read that the school runs a bit on the cold side. Is that accurate? If so, is it bad? (I don't mind putting on a jacket, but don't want to be freezing.)

2) I read some of you mentioned Multiple Choice questions for your exams. Do most of the professors give MCQ's as part of their exams in 1L?

Thanks!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:56 pm

The school does get cold sometimes. In general, I'm not ever that cold and I think the temperature is fine. BUT on Monday I had to make a Facebook status about how cold one of my classes was. That was my first real experience so now I understand how others may feel.

Some teachers have multiple choice questions on their exam. Last year only one on my tests for both semesters had a MC section.

I hope these questions aren't going to make up your mind about which school you will go to. Although temperature is important, I don't think it should lead your decision. And every school is going to have teachers that do MC questions, so I think you should be prepared for that wherever you go.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 pm

lishi wrote:I hope these questions aren't going to make up your mind about which school you will go to. Although temperature is important, I don't think it should lead your decision. And every school is going to have teachers that do MC questions, so I think you should be prepared for that wherever you go.
Not at all. It's between Wake and UNC for me since I want to stay in NC. I was just curious about those things.

Does anyone have pictures of the law school at Wake, particularly of the inside? I've googled the professional center and found some (mostly of the outside) and would love to see more of what it looks like. (Lishi's pictures from her visit aren't available on here anymore.) I probably won't get over for a visit until after the new year. Thanks.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:46 pm

Sorry I must have deleted them from my photobucket. I'll try to find some on my computer and post them up.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks lishi. That would be great!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 pm

I don't have them on my computer anymore, but I think whenpigsfly may still have some on her camera. I'll ask her or you could pm her.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:52 pm

It's that time again. More and more students are being accepted, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask us!!

jss1100

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by jss1100 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:44 am

How has your experience at Wake Forest been thus far?

Have you noticed anything note worthy regarding job prospects for Wake students?

What advantage(s), if any, would you say Wake has over UNC?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:15 pm

jss1100 wrote:How has your experience at Wake Forest been thus far?
I think I've had a good experience here. When I first visited everyone seemed to be helpful and get along, and it actually seems like that now that I go here. People are always sharing any good study aids they find, or even ones that have been passed down to them from older students. Of course it's still competitive but I feel like you don't see it or feel it in the air like you do at other schools. This could also be because my 1L year I was in the "chill" section where we had no gunners and just sat back and listened, but I think most other students would agree.
jss1100 wrote: Have you noticed anything note worthy regarding job prospects for Wake students?
As far as jobs, everyone I knew had a job somewhere for the 1L summer, whether it was a firm, judge, research for a teacher, etc. Now that 2L summer is going on you of course see the top students getting jobs, BUT that doesn't mean that average students aren't getting any. I think the key is to be open to what and where you want to practice. If you go in and say you only want to work in a big firm in NY, and you only try OCI then your chances are slim, especially if you're average. But if you go in being open to try new things and possible new places I think you'll find something. I also think a lot of students rely solely on OCI and don't try applying to places on their own. I think in this economy unless your top 10% you need to put in a little extra effort. I'm an average law student, not in the top 25%, but I did get a job offer through OCI and one through my research and mailings so it is definitely possible to get a job coming from Wake and not being in the top of your class.
jss1100 wrote: What advantage(s), if any, would you say Wake has over UNC?
I got into UNC as well, and the main reason I easily struck that out was how unfriendly they seemed to be. In the admissions process they made sure to let us all know to NOT contact them with questions. I understand they may be busy but so is every other school. Wake never made me feel like they didn't want to here from me. I received plenty of calls from staff and students asking if I had any questions about the process. Also when I visited UNC it seemed like people may have been a bit more stuck up or just the competitive atmosphere was weird. But of course this is all subjective. In the end Wake places just as well as UNC does, so really I think if you debating between the two you should visit each and see where you feel more comfortable. Don't underestimate the power of comfort at a law school. If you go to a law school where you hate all the people you are going to be miserable, and likely that'll bring down your studying as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:00 pm

How have your job prospects looked in relation to the cost of Wake? I'd love to go to Wake and if I get in, I doubt that I would receive anything merit-based. The sticker price is pretty large. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Marking this thread for later.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Any current students that live in the Crowne apartments want to discuss what they like/dislike about them? I'm most likely looking at either Crowne Park or Crowne Oaks, but I think I like the 1-bedroom layout better at the Park.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:15 pm

lishi, if you would be so kind, tell me why you chose wake over howard? PM

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Re: Wake 1L's taking Questions!!!

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:32 pm

micahtaylor wrote:How competitive were your classmates?
I am a rising 1L gunner and would like a sense of how much time people spent studying/how obsessed with exams people are.
Did your professors have previous exams?
How much did you study per day/week?
Thank you.
You are a self-identified gunner?

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:10 pm

tstyler98 wrote:Any current students that live in the Crowne apartments want to discuss what they like/dislike about them? I'm most likely looking at either Crowne Park or Crowne Oaks, but I think I like the 1-bedroom layout better at the Park.
I'm going on year two at a Crowne, and I really don't have any complaints. From my apartment, its a 2-3 minute drive to school, which is perfect for someone like me who is not in anyway a morning person and sleeps up until the last possible second. Each Crowne has its own gym and pool, which is great during the warm months. While there are a number of undergrads who live in the Crownes, the one-bedrooms are often located in strictly one-bedroom apartment buildings, which is great, as most of your neighbors are grad students or young professionals. And I'm pretty sure each Crowne has two separate one-bedroom layouts, so the layout you liked at Park is probably at Polo and Oaks too. The one-bedrooms are a bit on the pricey side, but if you are planning on doing a bulk of your work at home, I think it is worth the extra price.

[And I know I promised you pictures - I'll try to get them by the end of the week!]

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:08 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:Any current students that live in the Crowne apartments want to discuss what they like/dislike about them? I'm most likely looking at either Crowne Park or Crowne Oaks, but I think I like the 1-bedroom layout better at the Park.
I'm going on year two at a Crowne, and I really don't have any complaints. From my apartment, its a 2-3 minute drive to school, which is perfect for someone like me who is not in anyway a morning person and sleeps up until the last possible second. Each Crowne has its own gym and pool, which is great during the warm months. While there are a number of undergrads who live in the Crownes, the one-bedrooms are often located in strictly one-bedroom apartment buildings, which is great, as most of your neighbors are grad students or young professionals. And I'm pretty sure each Crowne has two separate one-bedroom layouts, so the layout you liked at Park is probably at Polo and Oaks too. The one-bedrooms are a bit on the pricey side, but if you are planning on doing a bulk of your work at home, I think it is worth the extra price.

[And I know I promised you pictures - I'll try to get them by the end of the week!]
Thanks whenpigsfly. I appreciate your input and your still answering our questions.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Does anyone have pictures of the law school at Wake, particularly of the inside?
Better late than never, right? Everyone can see the standard shot of the building on the website, so I'll leave that out. But here are our lovely ping pong and foosball tables. I've never seen anyone use the foosball table, but the ping pong table is a big hit between classes.

On the first floor is the student lounge, where each student has a mailbox. It's a good place to eat lunch, or read if you don't mind a little chatter, or TV noise.

Here's a standard 1L classroom located on the first floor. They aren't that big, but if you only have 35-37 kids in a class, the size isn't a problem.

This is one of the bigger classrooms, where the large upper level classes, like Evidence or Criminal Procedure, are held. Almost all of the classrooms are located on the first floor.

Also on the first floor is the large courtroom, where large meetings and some larger scale moot court things are typically held.

On the second floor is the entrance to the library, which spans the four floors of the building. Here's what you see when you walk in.

To the right and left of the atrium are long tables, like these.

And on each floor, there are a whole bunch of carrels. As a 1L, you get your own, which give you a nice space to study and leave some of your stuff.

On the top floor of the library is the cleric, which is an acronym for something - I know "computer" and "resource" are both in there somewhere, but that's all I got. There are a number of mini-PCs there if you don't feel like using your laptop/don't have one/don't have yours on you. Also behind where I took the picture are a number of printers.

Career Services, the Dean's Suite, Admissions, and the registrar are all located on the second floor.

And then the third floor is mainly comprised of professors' offices. While it may not look all that big, it is more than enough space, as the whole student body is less than 500 students. I tried to get a picture of our courtroom on the second floor, which is pretty fancy looking, but there was a trial team practice that looked too important to interrupt. While everyone should visit if they get the chance, hopefully these at least help give you an idea what the building looks like!
Last edited by whenpigsfly on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”