Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PirateCap'n

Silver

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:Also when do we get our schedules? Is it before orientation?
I am not looking forward to this next period of waiting.... :-/
You should have the class schedules by around the beginning of August. Once they give you the information to get onto WIN (the registration/schedule site), you can check up on the schedules then.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 pm

And if you're bored and have nothing else better to do, you could figure out what the schedule is for each of the 4 sections. The class schedule is here: --LinkRemoved--. Section 1 will have a 1 next to the class number (ex. 102-1), and so on. Your classes will be Contracts I, Civil Procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, LAWR I, and Legal Research (part of LAWR). You'll have 4 class periods for Torts, 1 for Legal Research, and 3 for the others. And for LAWR, half of each section will be in A, and the other will be in B.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 pm

tstyler98 wrote:And if you're bored and have nothing else better to do, you could figure out what the schedule is for each of the 4 sections. The class schedule is here: --LinkRemoved--. Section 1 will have a 1 next to the class number (ex. 102-1), and so on. Your classes will be Contracts I, Civil Procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, LAWR I, and Legal Research (part of LAWR). You'll have 4 class periods for Torts, 1 for Legal Research, and 3 for the others. And for LAWR, half of each section will be in A, and the other will be in B.
This is amazing. Thank you!!

what are the classes that end in zero? electives?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 pm

girlonfire wrote: what are the classes that end in zero? electives?
Yep. They're electives that don't have sections. Some classes have two sections during a semester (like Con. Law II), and they'll have a 1 and 2. If there's a 0, that means that it's the only section.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:05 pm

tstyler98 wrote:And if you're bored and have nothing else better to do, you could figure out what the schedule is for each of the 4 sections. The class schedule is here: --LinkRemoved--. Section 1 will have a 1 next to the class number (ex. 102-1), and so on. Your classes will be Contracts I, Civil Procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, LAWR I, and Legal Research (part of LAWR). You'll have 4 class periods for Torts, 1 for Legal Research, and 3 for the others. And for LAWR, half of each section will be in A, and the other will be in B.

All I can say is, registrar person if you are stalking these boards, PLEASE DON'T PUT ME IN SECTION 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: Or SECTION 4.

Holy crap we have a 50% chance of getting Walker for Civ Pro :shock: :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:51 pm

NCtoDC wrote:

All I can say is, registrar person if you are stalking these boards, PLEASE DON'T PUT ME IN SECTION 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is the other civ pro professor? Its usually Taha, but he's on sabbatical. Too bad, hes one of the best profs that I've had.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:51 pm

NCtoDC wrote:

Is Walker bad?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:56 pm

NCtoDC wrote:

Walker (aka Mad Dog) isn't really that bad. He's a really nice old guy. You'll have to stand up in class and recite/answer his questions. That can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a 50 minute class period, and he'll grill you the whole time. Once you're done though, you don't have to go again until he makes it through the rest of the students. He's great outside of class too. You'll see him shuffling around campus smoking his pipe with his little hat on (very "grandpa-like"). His exam isn't that bad. Just memorize the outline and regurgitate it on the exam. You'll get an A.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:06 pm

PirateCap'n wrote: Walker (aka Mad Dog) isn't really that bad. He's a really nice old guy. You'll have to stand up in class and recite/answer his questions. That can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a 50 minute class period, and he'll grill you the whole time. Once you're done though, you don't have to go again until he makes it through the rest of the students. He's great outside of class too. You'll see him shuffling around campus smoking his pipe with his little hat on (very "grandpa-like"). His exam isn't that bad. Just memorize the outline and regurgitate it on the exam. You'll get an A.
seriously. I want to buy you a cake. or at very least, a beer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:11 pm

We are going to be an awesome group. I wish I could remember the name of the con law professor I saw at ASD. He was an older gent. He was interesting, and not to rough with students who didnt know answers. Although his bread analogy was weird.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:13 pm

girlonfire wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote: Walker (aka Mad Dog) isn't really that bad. He's a really nice old guy. You'll have to stand up in class and recite/answer his questions. That can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a 50 minute class period, and he'll grill you the whole time. Once you're done though, you don't have to go again until he makes it through the rest of the students. He's great outside of class too. You'll see him shuffling around campus smoking his pipe with his little hat on (very "grandpa-like"). His exam isn't that bad. Just memorize the outline and regurgitate it on the exam. You'll get an A.
seriously. I want to buy you a cake. or at very least, a beer.
I'm very receptive to both :D

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 pm

jdemmitt wrote:We are going to be an awesome group. I wish I could remember the name of the con law professor I saw at ASD. He was an older gent. He was interesting, and not to rough with students who didnt know answers. Although his bread analogy was weird.
Sounds like Prof. Michael Curtis. Tall and thin old guy with gray hair? He likes to make weird analogies sometimes. If you happen to get him, be prepared. His class is pretty tedious. At least they say that the exam isn't that bad. If it wasn't Curtis, it would be Wilson Parker. He's a pretty nice guy based on my limited interaction with him, but I haven't had him for class. Gilreath is the other Con. Law professor, but he's really young. Here's the link to the faculty profiles if you really want to figure out which one it was.

http://law.wfu.edu/faculty/profile/

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 pm

I think it was Parker.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Hey Pirate, what are you doing for this summer? How is the field looking for WF students?

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:25 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Hey Pirate, what are you doing for this summer? How is the field looking for WF students?
K seriously, I was submitting this when tls showed me the post that had been put up while i was typing it:
"Pirate,
what r u doing over the summer? how does summer employment look at WFU?"

WFT JDemmitt?! get out of my brainnnnn, mannnnnnn. :lol:

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:31 pm

I am sorry. I have a gift. It is also a curse. I forgot what it was though.

But that is how we know we will make a hell of a trivia team.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 pm

girlonfire wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:Hey Pirate, what are you doing for this summer? How is the field looking for WF students?
K seriously, I was submitting this when tls showed me the post that had been put up while i was typing it:
"Pirate,
what r u doing over the summer? how does summer employment look at WFU?"

WFT JDemmitt?! get out of my brainnnnn, mannnnnnn. :lol:
I'm working at a mid-sized firm in NC (~40 lawyers) that does a bit of everything. I think summer employment is looking pretty good for most folks. I know a few folks who still don't have anything lined up yet, but the majority seem to have at least something lined up. With most of the class being from out of state, a lot of people are going back home with their jobs, so I guess that shows the portability of the degree a bit. I think the job market overall for Wake grads is pretty good. I had a few OCI interviews and several callbacks, and then I had a few other "mass mail" interviews that resulted in a some offers as well. I don't think that my results are necessarily indicative of everyone else's job search results, but I think it shows that people are at least looking to hire.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 pm

this is good news.

but it sounds like youre probably at or near the top of ur class, huh? :lol:

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 pm

girlonfire wrote:this is good news.

Ha. I did alright. Definitely not at the very top though. Somehow, I think most of the TLS folks managed to do pretty well this semester, so maybe it was just the "TLS effect."

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Walker (aka Mad Dog) isn't really that bad. He's a really nice old guy. You'll have to stand up in class and recite/answer his questions. That can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a 50 minute class period, and he'll grill you the whole time. Once you're done though, you don't have to go again until he makes it through the rest of the students. He's great outside of class too. You'll see him shuffling around campus smoking his pipe with his little hat on (very "grandpa-like"). His exam isn't that bad. Just memorize the outline and regurgitate it on the exam. You'll get an A.
Parks and Parker are the other Civ Pro profs according to the schedule. I sat in on Parker's class. He chooses two students to call on for the duration of the class. He was not mean or harsh when the student did not know the answer. He tried to lead them along with another question and if that did not work he asked the other student.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
girlonfire wrote:this is good news.

Ha. I did alright. Definitely not at the very top though. Somehow, I think most of the TLS folks managed to do pretty well this semester, so maybe it was just the "TLS effect."
BOOM!

tls is srsbns

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 am

NCtoDC wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Walker (aka Mad Dog) isn't really that bad. He's a really nice old guy. You'll have to stand up in class and recite/answer his questions. That can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a 50 minute class period, and he'll grill you the whole time. Once you're done though, you don't have to go again until he makes it through the rest of the students. He's great outside of class too. You'll see him shuffling around campus smoking his pipe with his little hat on (very "grandpa-like"). His exam isn't that bad. Just memorize the outline and regurgitate it on the exam. You'll get an A.
Parks and Parker are the other Civ Pro profs according to the schedule. I sat in on Parker's class. He chooses two students to call on for the duration of the class. He was not mean or harsh when the student did not know the answer. He tried to lead them along with another question and if that did not work he asked the other student.
I don't have much experience with Parker. I had dinner at his house early in the fall semester (all 1Ls are assigned a professor for a group dinner). He was very nice, and I'll probably end up taking a class with him at some point. Here's a random article I just ran across while looking for something else, but it might give you a bit more info on him. http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=14037. Parks is a new guy, so I know nothing about him other than what is listed on the law student course registration site. It says that he graduated from Cornell and taught and Kentucky. The last professor we got from Kentucky (Cardi) was amazing, so maybe this guy will be too.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:07 am

Well done Pirate. I hope that TLS luck carries over to next year. I was checking out rate my professor for wake, and it looks like there are some harsh ratings, but old.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:11 am

jdemmitt wrote:Well done Pirate. I hope that TLS luck carries over to next year. I was checking out rate my professor for wake, and it looks like there are some harsh ratings, but old.
Thanks! Here's to hoping that the "TLS effect" rubs off on you guys too :wink:

As for Rate My Professor, it isn't very helpful for the law school. If there's a really bad professor or a really good one, he or she might get on there. Otherwise, law students don't really take the time to rate them. If there are any that you have questions about though, I'll give you what I know or try to find out from someone who does know.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:34 am

Sweet. Man, you are going to be swimming in beer cause we owe you so much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”