USF School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jr0008

Re: USF School of Law

Postby jr0008 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Does anyone know if requesting $$ from USF is a good idea? I've heard some people were granted $$ by other law schools after citing $$ given to them by competing schools. Any comments?

lwinkler

Postby lwinkler » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:00 am

homebrewer wrote:
lwinkler wrote:I have actually spoken to a couple of 1L's at USF. They were incredible helpful in telling me about the school and their experience there thus far. Both people I spoke with expressed how the school is under-ranked. They were accepted to higher ranked schools but chose USF because of the collaborative atmosphere. Most students who attend USF are interested in human rights law or public interest law from what I've been told. Besides the long hours of studying and hard work, it seems like USF offers a good law school experience. I'm going to visit on 4/13. I can let you know about my first-hand experience after that. Hope this helps!

Let us know how the visit goes. I applied past the priority deadline but think that USF is a great match for me. The COL and tuition are pretty frightening though.

I will. USF seems to be a great match for me as well. I'm extremely excited about my visit. The cost is starting to freak me out a bit as well. But what are the other options?

homebrewer

Postby homebrewer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Just got the acceptance e-mail!

The only problem is that I still have 5 more schools to hear back from and the USF deposit deadline is 4/15. I'm going to request an extension by e-mail on Monday.

This goes to show that you can still get accepted even if you apply 1 month after the priority deadline.

lwinkler

Postby lwinkler » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 am

homebrewer wrote:Just got the acceptance e-mail!

The only problem is that I still have 5 more schools to hear back from and the USF deposit deadline is 4/15. I'm going to request an extension by e-mail on Monday.

This goes to show that you can still get accepted even if you apply 1 month after the priority deadline.

Congrats, homebrewer! I'm still waiting on some schools too, but I think I'm going to put down my first deposit anyway. Not exactly expecting acceptances from the other schools at this point.

blbs

Postby blbs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:40 pm

reve wrote:I think USF's bar pass rate is pretty high. They also have a great conflict resolution program, which i"m particularly interested in. Can anyone give info on the kinds of students in general who choose to go?

USF was my undergrad. I was accepted and offered pretty much a full ride, but don't intend to go primarily because it was my undergrad and I just personally feel the need for a change. That being said the law school is actually quite impressive. The campus, while pretty small, is great and the library is spectacular. The USF location within SF is great, there is easy access to public transit and a 10 minute drive will take you almost anywhere in SF you'd want to go. Many of the adjunct and part time professors also teach down the street at Hastings. I know several students, a few 1Ls and a 3L, and my impression of them and the student body is that they are intelligent and motivated however they seem to be far from cutthroat. Students that I've interacted with have been very friendly and have had glowing things to say about their experiences. The alumni that I know have all been very successful in their practices and about 10% of attorneys in SF are USF alumni.

Hope this offers some insight.

blbs

Postby blbs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:56 pm

jr0008 wrote:Does anyone know if requesting $$ from USF is a good idea? I've heard some people were granted $$ by other law schools after citing $$ given to them by competing schools. Any comments?

It wont hurt to ask and they aren't going to rescind your admissions offer.

For those discussing living near USF, I wouldn't consider living by SFSU. It is FAR! It is a shitty bike ride, especially in the rain, or at least two busses, or about 15-20 minutes by car depending on traffic. If you're looking for cheap rent the Richmond (the north side of GG park equivalent to the Sunset) isn't so bad and the Fulton 5 bus is extremely reliable and quick for getting to campus. I don't know the prospects for law students getting parking permits on campus, as an UG at USF it was near impossible, and street parking is a free-for-all so I would highly discourage anyone from driving. I always lived right across the street from campus, which was expensive, but there are cheaper places in the immediate area. Down on Fulton or Hayes east from campus seems to be somewhat affordable. Also the Haight is walkable to campus and relatively cheap housing can be found in that area. Lastly, USF has the Loyola on campus upperclassmen/grad housing. It's pretty decent but not all that cheap as far as I know. I'm not sure if there is any division between UG and LS students in the buildings but that would be important given how raging parties have gotten in those buildings at times.

babs22pa

Postby babs22pa » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Congrats to everyone who just got acceptances. I shouldn't say this because my boyfriend just got waitlisted, but USF is a great school if you want to practice in San Francisco. It has a very good local reputation and it seems that half the lawyers you meet in SF went there (that said, if you don't want to live and work in SF, I'm not sure how far the degree with take you).

Also, I just noticed my very old post in this thread. To clarify, I think (or at least thought) USF gives full rides to some people. Maybe I'm wrong.

1swift

Postby 1swift » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:11 pm

I have been accepted here and am still considering this. They gave me considerable scholarship for about 2/3 tuition and I could commute from home so COL is extremely low for me here...But again, How under-ranked is it. Santa Clara gave me a similar offer (Scholarship less than 1/2 tuition though) commute would be hell and probably too much so COL skies up to live out there...I'm at a loss here. I would also like to hear back from my other schools before having to deposit on 4/15...I'm not even convinced I'm not gonna take the LSAT again

platicus

Postby platicus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:23 pm

I got a scholarship at USF, but it specifically stated that it was not renewable after the first year. What gives? kind of ruins the whole idea of a scholarship, unless I plan to transfer... Has anyone else had this? the amount was $18,500. also, their 1L attrition rate seems a little high.

blbs

Postby blbs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:44 pm

1swift wrote:I'm not even convinced I'm not gonna take the LSAT again

Seeing how hard this cycle has been, almost across the board, I'm half thinking the same.

homebrewer

Postby homebrewer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:19 pm

platicus wrote:I got a scholarship at USF, but it specifically stated that it was not renewable after the first year. What gives? kind of ruins the whole idea of a scholarship, unless I plan to transfer... Has anyone else had this? the amount was $18,500. also, their 1L attrition rate seems a little high.

I got the exact same offer, 18.5k non-renewable. I was seriously considering USF even though it was one of the lower ranked schools I applied to, but it just doesn't seem like a good investment to come out of USF with that much debt. McGeorge offered me the same amount renewable, so I'm going to try to use that as leverage.

lishi

Postby lishi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 am

I've merged both of the USF School of Law threads. So hopefully it will keep interest in the school to one common thread.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:35 am

When did you go complete, brewer? Congrats on the acceptance.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:52 am

blbs wrote:
jr0008 wrote:Does anyone know if requesting $$ from USF is a good idea? I've heard some people were granted $$ by other law schools after citing $$ given to them by competing schools. Any comments?

For those discussing living near USF, I wouldn't consider living by SFSU. It is FAR! It is a shitty bike ride, especially in the rain, or at least two busses, or about 15-20 minutes by car depending on traffic. If you're looking for cheap rent the Richmond (the north side of GG park equivalent to the Sunset) isn't so bad and the Fulton 5 bus is extremely reliable and quick for getting to campus. I don't know the prospects for law students getting parking permits on campus, as an UG at USF it was near impossible, and street parking is a free-for-all so I would highly discourage anyone from driving. I always lived right across the street from campus, which was expensive, but there are cheaper places in the immediate area. Down on Fulton or Hayes east from campus seems to be somewhat affordable. Also the Haight is walkable to campus and relatively cheap housing can be found in that area. Lastly, USF has the Loyola on campus upperclassmen/grad housing. It's pretty decent but not all that cheap as far as I know. I'm not sure if there is any division between UG and LS students in the buildings but that would be important given how raging parties have gotten in those buildings at times.

Thanks for all the great info on housing, jr. Could you give us a price range to expect in these areas? I know it will be different depending on the number of occupants, but for simplicity's sake let's use 3. So, what will a place run in these areas per month for yourself and two roommates? Thanks in advance for your help.

homebrewer

Postby homebrewer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:30 am

sanpiero wrote:

When did you go complete, brewer? Congrats on the acceptance.

I went complete 3/13. I get the feeling they rushed my acceptance to make me decide by 4/15. Their acceptance letter says that students accepted after 4/1 have an extended deposit deadline.

dante500

Re: Go to the best law school you can get into...

Postby dante500 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:33 am

sflaw77 wrote:USF is a good school, but job prospects are not that great. Take it from me: I possess multiple CALI awards, rank in the top 5% of my class, have been on the dean's list for two years, and take part in all the so-called prestigious law school organizations. However, the school garners very little attention from Big Law firms.

The following is a breakdown of California law schools represented in large firms (with the school with the most representation being on top):

San Francisco/Bay Area
    Standford, Boalt, Hastings, UCLA, USC, Davis, Loyola, USD, Santa Clara

While USF is a good school, I believe it is marketed poorly, perceived as being a second rate school. It does not help that the career services is mainly apathetic when it comes to career development.

Chilling endorsement. That post alone should be enough to make people look elsewhere.

lanvengrey

Postby lanvengrey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 pm

Homebrewer please let us know how this goes!

Also for those interested, I got a scholarship offer just the other day despite being admitted in January. As people withdraw they free up more money for the rest of us which is a great thing. In my opinion, the $18,500 nonrenewable scholarship sets up a transfer mindset.

futurelawyer888

Postby futurelawyer888 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 pm

I have "Decision Letter Mailed" from USF on my status checker. I called to see if they would release by phone and they said ALL decisions mailed only. I know that many if not all accepted students get an e-mail (which I did not get). Is it safe to assume I got denied?

blbs

Postby blbs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 pm

sanpiero wrote:
blbs wrote:

Thanks for all the great info on housing, jr. Could you give us a price range to expect in these areas? I know it will be different depending on the number of occupants, but for simplicity's sake let's use 3. So, what will a place run in these areas per month for yourself and two roommates? Thanks in advance for your help.

The Richmond is probably around $500-$800 a bedroom and anything walkable to USF is likely to be between $600 - $1200 a bedroom. Some of the stuff near school is extremely nice though. Anywhere in SF is going to vary pretty dramatically though depending on parking (usually worth about $150/month), features (laundry, dishwasher, etc...), and quality. Your best bet is to use craigslist.org, or try to search facebook marketplace listings. Just be prepared to spend a while looking, when I moved back from Europe it took me almost two months, and close to a dozen open houses, to find a place. Also beware that at any given price point there is a huge range of quality. I've seen $2000 two bedrooms that were spectacular and absolute shit. With a little effort however a great place can definitely be found.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:53 am

blbs wrote:
sanpiero wrote:
blbs wrote:

The Richmond is probably around $500-$800 a bedroom and anything walkable to USF is likely to be between $600 - $1200 a bedroom. Some of the stuff near school is extremely nice though. Anywhere in SF is going to vary pretty dramatically though depending on parking (usually worth about $150/month), features (laundry, dishwasher, etc...), and quality. Your best bet is to use craigslist.org, or try to search facebook marketplace listings. Just be prepared to spend a while looking, when I moved back from Europe it took me almost two months, and close to a dozen open houses, to find a place. Also beware that at any given price point there is a huge range of quality. I've seen $2000 two bedrooms that were spectacular and absolute shit. With a little effort however a great place can definitely be found.

thanks, jr

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 am

visited the usf campus this weekend. UG campus is really nice to walk through, beautiful surroundings, nice buildings, etc. Law school building is nice. All the students I saw seemed to be upbeat and pretty positive on their school. The main classrooms, found on the lower level, are your typical stadium-seated rooms. They hold about 40-50 students. Nice sitting-area/courtyard between the law school and law library, with decent views of the city. Across the street is an enormous catholic church, St. Ignatius, very nice inside. Admissions staff was friendly and attentive. Didn't have an official tour or meet with any deans/admissions officers. Was told that my application went complete in mid to late March, and it could take a week or two to get to committee and another 4-6 weeks for a decision. I though this was an outrageous response, but didn't feel comfortable pressing any further. Maybe this was their scripted response. The kid I talked to was likely a student or a younger guy on the ad staff.

Didn't have time to explore the neighborhood around USF. The closest ones are the Richmond, Laurel Heights, the Western Addition, Alamo Square and Haight Ashbury. Didn't realize until I visited but Golden Gate Park is just a few blocks from the law school. Beautiful park to run, cycle and exercise in. Park houses a museum, flower conservatory, botanical gardens. Ocean beach is right on its western edge.

Spent most of my time in the financial district, north beach and pac heights. These areas were really nice. I could definitely see myself living in north beach. great restaurants, bars, the wharf, etc. however, i'm not sure if it'd be practical for a usf student to live east of Van Ness. May take over 30 mins. to get to the school using public transport from Union Square. North Beach could be closer to 45.

overall great visit. sf is an amazing city. i am still concerned that usf students find it very difficult to compete for well-paying, interesting jobs in the bay area, given their position behind Stanford, UCB, UCLA, USC, UCD, UCH, and SCU grads. not sure how accurate the $85k starting private sector salary the school reported really is.

lwinkler

Postby lwinkler » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:24 am

sanpiero wrote:visited the usf campus this weekend. UG campus is really nice to walk through, beautiful surroundings, nice buildings, etc. Law school building is nice. All the students I saw seemed to be upbeat and pretty positive on their school. The main classrooms, found on the lower level, are your typical stadium-seated rooms. They hold about 40-50 students. Nice sitting-area/courtyard between the law school and law library, with decent views of the city. Across the street is an enormous catholic church, St. Ignatius, very nice inside. Admissions staff was friendly and attentive. Didn't have an official tour or meet with any deans/admissions officers. Was told that my application went complete in mid to late March, and it could take a week or two to get to committee and another 4-6 weeks for a decision. I though this was an outrageous response, but didn't feel comfortable pressing any further. Maybe this was their scripted response. The kid I talked to was likely a student or a younger guy on the ad staff.

Didn't have time to explore the neighborhood around USF. The closest ones are the Richmond, Laurel Heights, the Western Addition, Alamo Square and Haight Ashbury. Didn't realize until I visited but Golden Gate Park is just a few blocks from the law school. Beautiful park to run, cycle and exercise in. Park houses a museum, flower conservatory, botanical gardens. Ocean beach is right on its western edge.

Spent most of my time in the financial district, north beach and pac heights. These areas were really nice. I could definitely see myself living in north beach. great restaurants, bars, the wharf, etc. however, i'm not sure if it'd be practical for a usf student to live east of Van Ness. May take over 30 mins. to get to the school using public transport from Union Square. North Beach could be closer to 45.

overall great visit. sf is an amazing city. i am still concerned that usf students find it very difficult to compete for well-paying, interesting jobs in the bay area, given their position behind Stanford, UCB, UCLA, USC, UCD, UCH, and SCU grads. not sure how accurate the $85k starting private sector salary the school reported really is.

Thanks for the insight sanpiero. I'm headed out there this weekend to tour the campus and check out SF.

pton2007

Postby pton2007 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:51 pm

for those who have been admitted already, did you get the acceptance email before or after your status checker changed? My status just went to "Decision Rendered" is that bad?

homebrewer

Postby homebrewer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:02 pm

I asked and they told me that they do not negotiate scholarships based on other school's offers. They said that they offer renewable merit scholarships to the top ten students (approximately the top 5%) at the end of the first year. The "top 10" merit scholarships are usually 70% tuition. They also told me that they offer 70 smaller (about $7500/year) scholarships to 2nd and 3rd year students that are based on community service and extracurricular activities. Those smaller scholarships have to be applied for.

I'm not too sure if $2 years of sticker (possibly less $7500) is doable. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that Santa Clara lets me in with some decent renewable money.

Anyways, I'll be visiting the campus on the 16th and taking part in the new student visitor program.

blbs

Postby blbs » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 pm

That gives their most likely transfers a pretty decent incentive to stay and continue to work hard. That is actually pretty creative to offer a lot of money as they go through, and it also encourages the students offered a lump sum for their 1L years to work hard while satisfying some of their complaints for funding to be non-renewable.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”