Any Duke Law students? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wahoo831

New

Re: Any Duke Law students?

Post by wahoo831 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:04 pm

linhvo wrote:Regarding Open House, is it okay to bring your parents? I know they won't cover their cost of travel but are they allowed to come to the events?
I actually didn't attend Duke's ASW last year (I'd already visited on my own), but I did attend about 6 or 8 other schools' official events, so I have some sense of this. I would say that it's fine to bring parents, as long as they don't get too involved. That is, they shouldn't be asking questions at the student life panel. And obviously any event that occurs in a bar should probably be just you. But I imagine they'd be welcome to attend the panels and such. That said, you should definitely email and ask to be sure, because there may be space constraints, especially for Friday's luncheon.

If you're question is more along the lines of 'will I be made fun of for bringing my parents,' I would again say it's fine if they're not too involved. I didn't personally bring my parents to any events, but people definitely do. If your parents are there more or less as your equals, nobody's going to give you a hard time. But if your parents act like this is their decision, take more of an interest in things than you, or otherwise get too over-involved, people will notice. And you probably don't want your potential future classmates to think that you need your parents to function. But otherwise I think you'll be fine, and you'll probably value getting another opinion on things.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:26 pm

The Duke open house impressed me a lot, so I am starting to look for possible apartments. Unfortunately my flight left early Saturday morning, so I did not get to go on the apartment tour. I was wondering if you knew of any good places that allow pets? My parents are getting tired of taking care of my dog for me (they want to free up space so they can train another CCI puppy-we have a lot of pets) and I miss him and will not be able to visit home as much if/when I move out east. He won't have a problem with apartment living, but he is somewhere between 30 and 40 lbs. So that is something to keep in mind on pet restrictions.

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe all four of the places they showed us allowed pets. I do not remember the exact cost, but the pet deposits were pretty minimal and at least one place had no additional monthly charge.

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 pm

I live in Pinnacle Ridge. I just checked my resident handbook, and our pet weight limit is 60lbs. So you would be fine here. (Note that's 60lbs total, but it looks like you have just the one dog.) I don't know offhand what our pet fees are, but I know they are quite reasonable.

A good option with a dog is Evergreens at Mount Moriah. It's a very dog friendly community - all the dog owners get to know each other walking their pets, and they even have a little dog run. I don't know their exact policies, but I know I have seen some good-sized dogs there, and I know the pet fees are very reasonable.

There are probably many other communities that would work for you, but those are just two I know offhand. (I love Pinnacle, but if I had a dog I think I would give serious consideration to Mount Moriah, which is also a nice complex.)

EDIT: I just noticed on my lease renewal notice that our pet fee at Pinnacle is $20 a month.
Last edited by wahoo831 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:15 pm

I will look into Evergreens at Mount Moriah, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:02 pm

Ok, So should I get on the Waitlist for Pinnacle Ridge or Colonial Village???? They both are about the same price, but which one would current students suggest? Also, would anyone living at either of those places mind telling me about how much your bills are? water/waste, electric, cable/internet?? You can PM me if you don't want to say it on here. Thanks all.

Oh, BTW, The one thing that kind of draws me to Colonial Village is the direct access to the running trail in the forest (any more details on that would be nice). Does Pinnacle have anything of that sort?

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:04 pm

chadstew55 wrote:Ok, So should I get on the Waitlist for Pinnacle Ridge or Colonial Village???? They both are about the same price, but which one would current students suggest? Also, would anyone living at either of those places mind telling me about how much your bills are? water/waste, electric, cable/internet?? You can PM me if you don't want to say it on here. Thanks all.

Oh, BTW, The one thing that kind of draws me to Colonial Village is the direct access to the running trail in the forest (any more details on that would be nice). Does Pinnacle have anything of that sort?
I live in Pinnacle. I would say that a lot more law students seem to live here than in CV, so if that's important to you that would be a reason to consider here. (I just spoke to a classmate today who doesn't live here but feels like she does because she's here so much.) However, I think both communities are really nice. (I almost choose CV, but I liked the one with dens better here.)

As a runner, I can tell you that Pinnacle has nowhere decent to run. If you like to run from home (without driving somewhere first) then you're really stuck with sidewalks, and even those aren't great. So if that's important to you, you might really want to go with CV. I've never run from there, but the direct access to the forest does seem really nice.

As for utilities, my water bill is just a touch over $10 a month. My electric bills have run from $28 to $57 (depending on time of year and how much I'm around), average is about $40-45. I'm in a one with den, so a regular one bed should be a little less, since it's a smaller space to heat/cool, but it really just depends on how much you like your heat and AC. My renewal notice also says that new leases will have a $7 monthly garbage collection charge. So I would say approximately $60 a month for utilities.

As for cable and internet, we have TWC. They are usually running specials, so it depends what special you hit. When I moved in, my special was digital cable, DVR, and internet for about $93 a month after tax. I later decided to drop my cable. (Which on a sidenote I really recommend, because so many TV shows are online; or go to basic for $13 a month if you want live sports and the occasional live show.) I now pay $50 a month for high speed internet. (Internet, incidentally, is cheaper when you have cable, and often the bundles are the best price.)

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 pm

wahoo831 wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:Ok, So should I get on the Waitlist for Pinnacle Ridge or Colonial Village???? They both are about the same price, but which one would current students suggest? Also, would anyone living at either of those places mind telling me about how much your bills are? water/waste, electric, cable/internet?? You can PM me if you don't want to say it on here. Thanks all.

I live in Pinnacle. I would say that a lot more law students seem to live here than in CV, so if that's important to you that would be a reason to consider here. (I just spoke to a classmate today who doesn't live here but feels like she does because she's here so much.) However, I think both communities are really nice. (I almost choose CV, but I liked the one with dens better here.)

As a runner, I can tell you that Pinnacle has nowhere decent to run. If you like to run from home (without driving somewhere first) then you're really stuck with sidewalks, and even those aren't great. So if that's important to you, you might really want to go with CV. I've never run from there, but the direct access to the forest does seem really nice.

As for utilities, my water bill is just a touch over $10 a month. My electric bills have run from $28 to $57 (depending on time of year and how much I'm around), average is about $40-45. I'm in a one with den, so a regular one bed should be a little less, since it's a smaller space to heat/cool, but it really just depends on how much you like your heat and AC. My renewal notice also says that new leases will have a $7 monthly garbage collection charge. So I would say approximately $60 a month for utilities.

As for cable and internet, we have TWC. They are usually running specials, so it depends what special you hit. When I moved in, my special was digital cable, DVR, and internet for about $93 a month after tax. I later decided to drop my cable. (Which on a sidenote I really recommend, because so many TV shows are online; or go to basic for $13 a month if you want live sports and the occasional live show.) I now pay $50 a month for high speed internet. (Internet, incidentally, is cheaper when you have cable, and often the bundles are the best price.)
Is it worth it to pay the extra to get a top floor apartment at Pinnacle?

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:23 pm

I live in a bottom floor apartment. I can definitely hear the people above me at times. I'd say if you're easily bothered by that type of thing, then it would be worth paying the extra. In fact, I wouldn't say I'm easily bothered by noise, but if I could go back I'd likely splurge for the top floor...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BOLOL

New

Post by BOLOL » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Can anyone share his/her experience on:

- fun classes
- best professors (funny, great teacher, quite friendly...)
- easy classes (grades)

Thanks!

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Can anyone share his/her experience on:

- fun classes
- best professors (funny, great teacher, quite friendly...)
- easy classes (grades)

Thanks!
Fun classes:
We did some unique things in our criminal law class (Beale) with small groups (simulated a jury, attempted to draft better laws on rape, read a book on the Hinckley trial. In Civil Procedure, Metzloff likes to illustrate things with movie clips. They are usually very brief (15-30 seconds), but it can break up the monotony of class. We also read A Civil Action, which was fun. In Constitutional Law, Powell has a "cheezy" kind of Socratic method where he appoints you Attorney General, the President, etc. and then you argue as if you are that person. He can be kind of funny about it. However, ConLaw is really boring at the start of the semester.

Best Professors:
Richman (Contracts) was by far my favorite. He's heavy socratic, and he pushes you, but he teaches with passion and you can really tell he's a genius.
Coleman (Torts) is very particular, and is usually looking for specific answers. If you like that, then you'd like her. Sometimes, however, she can be harsh with her Socratic method.
Metzloff (CivPro) is a really nice guy. He'll talk your ear off and he always has a story. He's very forgiving with his socratic approach.
Beale (CrimLaw) has a LOT of energy. She's also really nice, and you can tell she cares about her students and wants them to learn. Rarely is she socratic (except for early in the semester).
Powell (ConLaw) is incredibly smart. He has an uncanny ability to understand what a student is trying to say. This is tremendously helpful when you've been called on. At the same time, because he's so smart, he expects a lot from his students, and from a socratic standpoint, the class can be challenging. That said, he's also incredibly nice and willing to help in office hours.
Reppy (Property) is probably the only professor I've heard get a lot of negative reviews. He's older and was retired, so he's kind of old school. He doesn't focus on the big picture at all in class, which frustrates some. He can also be confusing and hard to understand. He's beyond forgiving in his socratic method (students clearly wouldn't read or pay attention and he would basically ignore it). Like all the professors, I also think he's an incredibly nice guy (he invited the whole class to his house for dinner and drinks). You may have to put more effort in on your own for this class.

Classes
Torts (Coleman) could go both ways in terms of difficulty. It's easy in that she tells you exactly how she likes her answers. It's hard, in that if you violate that, you might get a far worse grade than you thought.
Property (Reppy) can be hard because of the professor (see above) and the complicated content.
CivPro (Metzloff) was the easiest, in my opinion, because it's really clear what he wants and he gives you lots of examples.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Great info. I don't suppose you have glanced over the fall curriculum have you?

http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/schedulefall09

I was wondering if you knew anything about the other 1L professors listed there.

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:23 pm

I had the same 1L professors as themillsman22, but I'll add what I know about the other professors.

Tigar (civ pro) - I met Professor Tigar at orientation, and he is absolutely amazing. He had a long and interesting career in private practice (I would guess he's going on 70 now). I remember being completely riveted by his stories about defending Terry Nichols. (Interesting when the best outcome you can hope for is life in prison...) I imagine he'd make civ pro quite interesting with all his stories from real practice. Plus, I've heard great things about his trial practice course.

Young (con law) - I didn't have Ernie Young for con law, but everyone who did seemed to love it. I was actually always slightly jealous of how much those guys loved con law. He seems to have quite a following, and a lot of students try to get into his upper level courses.

Wiener (property) - I met Professor Wiener because he hosted a poker night with Professor Richman, which a group of us successfully bid on at the public interest auction. (I think was the single largest grossing item, because the combination of playing poker and these two professors generated a ton of interest.) He seemed like a really fun guy, very easy going. I didn't have his property class, but those who had him really seemed to enjoy the class. The section we had contracts with had property with Wiener earlier in the day, and they often came in with antecdotes and funny stories from property.

Richman (contracts) - I'll second themillsman22 that Richman is a great professor. I really can't say enough good things about him. That was also my favorite 1L class. He was really interesting and made the class a ton of fun.

Well, I hope that's somehow helpful. Those are the only 1L professors teaching this fall that I can really say enough about to be useful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Professor Richman taught the contracts demo class for the admitted student day. He is a big part of what convinced me to go to Duke. If I get into his contracts class in the fall I will be ecstatic.

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Bosque wrote:Professor Richman taught the contracts demo class for the admitted student day. He is a big part of what convinced me to go to Duke. If I get into his contracts class in the fall I will be ecstatic.
And he plays a mean game of basketball...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:49 am

Anyone know anything about the section 5 professors? They are Joseph Blocher (Constitutional Law), Jerome Reichman (Contracts), and Samuel Buell (Criminal Law). Thanks in advance!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Bosque wrote:Professor Richman taught the contracts demo class for the admitted student day. He is a big part of what convinced me to go to Duke. If I get into his contracts class in the fall I will be ecstatic.
x2 to all of this. The Admitted Students Day was great this year. I know this thread has been inactive for a few months, but if any of you (looking at Bosque) are willing to share further experiences/advice to an upcoming first year student now that you're farther along at Duke, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”