GULC 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nealric

Re: GULC 1L Taking Questions

Postby nealric » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:21 pm

How is ATT reception at Georgetown?

Just fine. No problems with ATT in DC.

Is LRW graded or P/F?

Graded

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:11 pm

I'd like to return to something brought up a few pages back: The booing of the transfer class by their fellow students. As someone who has applied to the PT program, this troubles me. As a working professional, PT is really my only chance at getting a quality legal education while helping me pay for the first year. If I choose to transfer, I do not want to be treated differently by my peers because they perceive me as having "cheated" the system (I'm assuming that's why they booed?) Did this really happen, and, is it indicative of peer-level bias against those who chose to transfer?

Thank you.

-HL

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:18 pm

I'd like to return to something brought up a few pages back: The booing of the transfer class by their fellow students.

That story is apocryphal at best (my best guess is it was made up by a troll). THERE IS NO TRANSFER CEREMONY. All you do is send an email to the registrar and sign up for an extra class per semester. Thus, there would be no opportunity for this to have happened. Nobody knows (unless the transferee volunteers) or cares who transferred.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Do any of you drive to school or know anyone who does? If so, how hard is it to get a parking spot? I read that they are $7/day (quite reasonable by DC standards) but are first come, first serve, so I am curious whether there are enough spots or whether you have to be there really early to get one.

I live in Arlington and have neck/back issues, so I don't anticipate being able to carry a heavy load of books and a laptop on the Metro, especially during rush hour, when the Orange Line is way over capacity.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but do students get lockers to store their books? I read that a lot of law schools give lockers because of the heavy book load.

Sequoia90

Postby Sequoia90 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:31 am

If there is anyone still on here, does GULC give any midterms? I know other schools provide 1Ls with one midterm to "test-run" the format/thinking required for a law final.

GreenHeels

Postby GreenHeels » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Parking is readily available (though I admittedly rarely drive there during the paid workday hours).

Lockers are given to all - for more storage capacity, request one in the Sport/Fitness Center.

No graded midterms for 1Ls. Some profs choose to offer one for practice in class (Abernathy in CivPro, perhaps others). All provide access to old finals for use as personal practice.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:59 am

nealric wrote:
I'd like to return to something brought up a few pages back: The booing of the transfer class by their fellow students.

That story is apocryphal at best (my best guess is it was made up by a troll). THERE IS NO TRANSFER CEREMONY. All you do is send an email to the registrar and sign up for an extra class per semester. Thus, there would be no opportunity for this to have happened. Nobody knows (unless the transferee volunteers) or cares who transferred.

LOL

js87

Postby js87 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Thank you for taking questions. Do you live on campus? If so, how do you like it? How hard is it to get campus housing your first year? Living on campus is a fairly important consideration for my 1L year.

Do students who live on campus (or elsewhere in DC for that matter) generally bring a car? I saw someone mention that parking is available -- is that street parking, or specific parking for GULC?

Thank you!

gozure23

Postby gozure23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Looking for some advice on housing as well. What neighborhoods/buildings are popular/affordable?

Thx

Zindras

Postby Zindras » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 am

gozure23 wrote:Looking for some advice on housing as well. What neighborhoods/buildings are popular/affordable?

Thx

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=100631

Much of the advice in that thread also applies to Georgetown.

drew

Postby drew » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:24 pm

tag

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Do you see many over-30s on campus, at least more or less than might be seen at the "average "law school?
I am 37, and know I'll be in the minority, age-wise, but don't like the idea of being overly so.

How do you like GULC's particular blend of practical and scholarly law? I am drawn to the prestigious faculty, and the theoretical and ethical aspects of law, but also to the idea of working in clinics and externships.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”