GULC 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Sox21

Re: GULC 1L Taking Questions

Postby Sox21 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:36 pm

If it's true the "most popular" clinics are hard to get into, which are they?

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danko

Postby danko » Wed May 13, 2009 9:20 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Sox21 wrote:If it's true the "most popular" clinics are hard to get into, which are they?

None of the clinics are easy to get into. Probably less than 20% of 2L applicants get into a clinic, and almost no one will ever get to take more than one clinic.

The only clinics it is possible to get into if you don't rank them #1 are the street law clinic and the law students in court clinic. Basically, it seems like you only have a real shot at taking a clinic as a 3L, and then you only have a shot (thought it's a pretty good one) at your #1 ranked clinic.

I think you may be overstating it a bit. Some clinics have a policy of only allowing 3Ls, either officially (Appellate Litigation) or unofficially (Institute for Public Representation, Federal Legislation), while others like Criminal and Juvenile Justice, Domestic Violence, and Law Students in Court all require Evidence as a prerequisite (which locks out rising 2Ls). The immigration clinic gets the most applicants and is hardest to get into statistically, but it does accept an even number of 2Ls and 3Ls. The Harrison Housing and Harrison Policy Clinics and International Women's Human Rights Clinic all accepted quite a few 2Ls this year. But you do need to carefully target the clinic you want, make it your first choice, and put together a strong application. Especially as a 2L, but some 3Ls get shut out too.

Once you do a clinic as a 2L, you go to the back of the line if you apply for another as a 3L (they want to give as many people as possible the chance to do at least one).

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:48 am

BKS2120

Postby BKS2120 » Sat May 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between UCLA and GULC right now. UCLA is giving me 20k/yr (plus in-state tuition) and GULC is offering 25k/yr. I'm from LA, did my undergrad here and I know tis is where I want to practice after law school. But having been here my whole life I feel like it would be good to get out for a while. Also, I spent a semester in DC and loved it, although the weather was brutal at times. I'm into politics but I think I want to go after biglaw in the immediate aftermath of finishing law school. I visited GULC and I really liked it. There are just a couple of things worrying me. I don't know anyone else going to GULC and I'm kind of worried about going to the other side of the country by myself. So I wonder how easy it is to make friends. Also, people tell me UCLA has a very collegial environment and that GULC can be very competitive and that the workload is a lot more there. Also, the size of the classes at GULC worries me because I feel like it's harder to know people in your section and harder to get to know your professor. Not to mention that it's easy to kind of get lost in big classes. Any opinions would be appreciated. Please mention if you currently go to GULC.

smaakit

Postby smaakit » Sat May 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi BKS,

I just finished my 1L year at GULC. Just wanted to weigh in on a couple things you asked about.

I don't particularly think that GULC students are ultra-competitive with each other. People are really supportive, actually. The workload is pretty tough, but I think that's going to be the case anywhere.

It is harder to make personal relationships with profs, but you can always raise your hand or go by office hours.

I made a lot of friends in my section, and in other sections, and I don't even live on campus LOL

So I wouldn't worry about those things--it's pretty easy to meet people if you're in Gewirz (dorm) and really, people are very nice. Everyone has been really helpful and friendly.

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:15 pm

What are job prospects looking like for your class? I know it might be difficult to tell at this point, but are people hitting the panic button yet?

SethD2767

Postby SethD2767 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:56 pm

rdt854 wrote:What are job prospects looking like for your class? I know it might be difficult to tell at this point, but are people hitting the panic button yet?

bump

tagc

Postby tagc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Will I need a car if I live off campus? What is the public transport like there?

Jadcia

Postby Jadcia » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:53 pm

You're in the middle of a major metro area. Union Station is about 4 blocks away. There are shuttles run by GULC to Union Station and over the Main Campus. Although going to Main Campus, puts you in a public transport null zone. If you live just across the river in VA, there are metro stations and bus routes. Check out wmata.com and it has all the information about buses and trains in the city.

tagc

Postby tagc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks.

Which mobile phone carrier has the best service in the area?

Verizon, ATT? How is reception for each? I am on verizon now, but was planning on switching over to an iphone (ATT) this summer.

SethD2767

Postby SethD2767 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:14 pm

Is there really no one on this board who can comment on job prospects at GULC for this (previous) academic year?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:17 pm

SethD2767 wrote:Is there really no one on this board who can comment on job prospects at GULC for this (previous) academic year?

There are no law students browsing this forum. 1L's at the lower-T14 are too busy freaking out about 2009 OCI and 2L's have already killed themselves after 2008 OCI.

hefferlump

Postby hefferlump » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:01 am

SethD2767 wrote:Is there really no one on this board who can comment on job prospects at GULC for this (previous) academic year?

Plus, no one really knows how firms are going to react this year or over the next few years. I expect that a certain part of the usual GULC hiring base will hold up, because the government always needs people. On the other hand, there may be increased competition for these jobs (e.g., this year's 1Ls certainly found it a bit more difficult to find public interest jobs generally, because more of them were going to offer-less 2Ls...but everyone I know eventually found something). Hardly anyone has a paying job and most of these are URMs or people who had previously worked at firms, which were willing to hire them back for the summer. So, I'm really sorry not to be of more help, but job prospects at GULC, or anyplace else for that matter, are the $10,000 question, to which no one really has an answer (especially not the rising 2Ls who make up the bulk of the law students who are still lurking around...ask us again after OCI (which we call EIW)).

SethD2767

Postby SethD2767 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks for the response.

A brief tangential question: you mentioned that most of those who recieved paid summer jobs were either URMs or had worked at a firm that was willing to hire them back. I was wondering: how does being a URM improve one's chances of legal employment? I know that law schools practice affirmative action. Do employers do so as well?

AceOfDiamonds

Postby AceOfDiamonds » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Sweet.

I'm a GULC 0L but I don't have any specific questions at the moment. For now, I'll just follow along.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:51 am

OliverWendellHomie

Postby OliverWendellHomie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Is there an area in DC where most GULC students live?

Jadcia

Postby Jadcia » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:44 pm

I believe it all depends on how much you are willing to spend and what kind of scene you're into. Dupont is on the Red Line, which Union Station is on, which is only a couple of blocks from the Law Center. Dupont is trendy, fun, lots of restaurants, bars, metro accessible, also very LGBTQI friendly. Also Expensive. Chinatown is near the Verizon Center, has good bars walking distance to campus, maybe 15 min walk, also expensive. H St, it a smidge cheaper, but it can be really sketchy. One block is very gentrified and the next is a crack den. The farther away you get from downtown the cheaper you're going to find accommodations. Northern VA (Rosslyn, Courthouse) might be a bit cheaper, but you'll have a longer commute. Georgetown is not close to the Law Center campus, not metro accessible, but very walkable, if you only want to stay in Gtown. I'm not sure where most people live, but a lot live in Mass Court, Senate Square, and the Meridian at Gallery Place. It all depends on your scene and how much you want to spend.

misterbelvedere300

Postby misterbelvedere300 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:24 am

Is there a good selection of ladies with nice physiques at GULC?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:55 am

misterbelvedere300 wrote:Is there a good selection of ladies with nice physiques at GULC?

No.

OliverWendellHomie

Postby OliverWendellHomie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Jadcia wrote:I believe it all depends on how much you are willing to spend and what kind of scene you're into. Dupont is on the Red Line, which Union Station is on, which is only a couple of blocks from the Law Center. Dupont is trendy, fun, lots of restaurants, bars, metro accessible, also very LGBTQI friendly. Also Expensive. Chinatown is near the Verizon Center, has good bars walking distance to campus, maybe 15 min walk, also expensive. H St, it a smidge cheaper, but it can be really sketchy. One block is very gentrified and the next is a crack den. The farther away you get from downtown the cheaper you're going to find accommodations. Northern VA (Rosslyn, Courthouse) might be a bit cheaper, but you'll have a longer commute. Georgetown is not close to the Law Center campus, not metro accessible, but very walkable, if you only want to stay in Gtown. I'm not sure where most people live, but a lot live in Mass Court, Senate Square, and the Meridian at Gallery Place. It all depends on your scene and how much you want to spend.

Thanks! :D

yesofcourse

Postby yesofcourse » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
misterbelvedere300 wrote:Is there a good selection of ladies with nice physiques at GULC?

No.

do you live in DC? Also, where are you going to school in the fall?

tagc

Postby tagc » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:13 pm

How is ATT reception at Georgetown?

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:41 pm

If you take curriculum A as a first year how is it divided up? Do you take 3 doctrinal classes each semester + LRW? Is LRW graded or P/F?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”