Ask a Harvard 1L Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Croissant

Re: Ask a Harvard 1L Questions

Postby Croissant » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm

yme16 wrote:Is there any tips you would give to imcoming students?
Is there any sociology majors there?

Dude. Enough with the terrible grammar mistakes. You probably should be looking at lower ranked schools if you don't know the difference between Is and Are...or have someone with a good grasp of English read over your PS...
Just a thought.
It makes me feel like I'm running my fingernails down a chalkboard every time I read your questions. :oops:

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Croissant wrote:

Dude. Enough with the terrible grammar mistakes. You probably should be looking at lower ranked schools if you don't know the difference between Is and Are...or have someone with a good grasp of English read over your PS...
Just a thought.
It makes me feel like I'm running my fingernails down a chalkboard every time I read your questions. :oops:

It's the internet. It happens.

To answer your question, the only tip I would give is to relax. If you've made it in, you're going to be fine. You will have fun if you want to. You will have all the friends you want. You will also meet all the people and make all the connections you could ever want. So good luck to everyone!

yme16

Postby yme16 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

thanks brokendowncar
Croissant wrote:

Just a thought.

Damn, the one place I thought my professors would not find me

Besides that what about his sister stats?
Stanford University
GPA- 3.5 :cry:
LSAT-175
Major- Sociology
URM- Burundi(Let me guess you dont know where the ** is it, AFRICA,( I had the same problem)

Did community service in Africa and work at the hospital
This is all I know about her but if you need more info then email her: richhand001@yahoo.com (don't ask)

JackieTreehorn

Postby JackieTreehorn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Do you guys notice opportunities that wouldn't be available to those at lower ranked T14 schools?

gcf3f

Postby gcf3f » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:55 pm

when did you find out if you were in? i talked to toby on october 15th. should i be worried if i havent heard?

lawschoolapplicant11

Postby lawschoolapplicant11 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:44 pm

What are the dorms like? Are they quiet/loud? Are they clean? How do bathrooms work (like individual shower stalls)?

What do people do for food in dorms? Are there any grocery stores or do people get a meal plan?

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:17 pm

JackieTreehorn wrote:Do you guys notice opportunities that wouldn't be available to those at lower ranked T14 schools?

I have a 1L friend that got three on the spot offers from v100 firms at a career fair last week (one v10) without so much as a single law school grade, resume, or an interview. I can't say for certain, but I don't think that many students at schools outside of the traditional top 6 will have those types of opportunities. While a pretty extreme example, I think it shows that the HLS brand carries weight, even in rough economic times.

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:18 pm

gcf3f wrote:when did you find out if you were in? i talked to toby on october 15th. should i be worried if i havent heard?

Hard to say. They don't really give us any news about the application process. Good luck though.

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:25 pm

lawschoolapplicant11 wrote:What are the dorms like? Are they quiet/loud? Are they clean? How do bathrooms work (like individual shower stalls)?

What do people do for food in dorms? Are there any grocery stores or do people get a meal plan?

The dorm environment is varied depending on which one you choose. I'll try to give a quick rundown, although better explanations could probably be found on the housing website.

North Hall - A little bit off campus and kind of more expensive. It used to be a hotel and therefore looks and lives how you would expect a hotel to. It is not a very social place to live, but it is quiet if that is your deal. You also have a private bathroom.

Hastings - You have your own bedroom, but you share a living room with someone else. These places are pretty fun with people throwing parties and pregames on the weekends. Kind of expensive again, but definitely prettier than the other two options. Shared bathrooms (single sex) with individual shower stalls.

Gropius - Classic dorm experience. Small boxes with enough room to cram in all of your belongings. Not loud at all, but very social experience. Lots of open doors lead to relatively quickly formed friendships. My two best friends here live on my hall. Cheapest option in Cambridge. Large single sex bathrooms with individual shower stalls. They are kept very clean though, so don't let the public part of it scare you away.

There are a few grocery stores nearby and several delivery services. Lots of people cook because the kitchens are brand new and very nice.

I hope that covers everything. I'll be around if you have more questions.

yme16

Postby yme16 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:36 pm

What about his sister stats?
I dont think she has a chance because the 3.5 in sociology! (they might get a point or two because she came from stanford, that it)

yme16

Postby yme16 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:34 am

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:20 pm

yme16 wrote:What about his sister stats?
I dont think she has a chance because the 3.5 in sociology! (they might get a point or two because she came from stanford, that it)

Hard to say. I don't really think I know anymore about the process now that I have been admitted than I knew before. It definitely isn't going to hurt to try.

granfalloon

Postby granfalloon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Croissant wrote:

Just a thought.

wow, where do people like you come from? i swear i never met any until i got to law school. i guess that was one of the perks of going to a city high school and a lower-ranked undergrad...

1004LSAT

Postby 1004LSAT » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:50 am

Are there any fast food joints within walking distance of the campus? And how's the pizza around there?

Do many people bring cars to school?

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:27 am

Is the law school more of a sectioned-off community, or are there opportunities for interaction with undergrads and students in the other grad schools?

(I like to branch out!)

PinkTiki

Postby PinkTiki » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:56 pm

brokendowncar wrote:
gcf3f wrote:when did you find out if you were in? i talked to toby on october 15th. should i be worried if i havent heard?

Hard to say. They don't really give us any news about the application process. Good luck though.

The first day Harvard told anyone last year was the day before Thanksgiving. That was when I found out. So I definitely would not be worried yet.

yme16 wrote:What about his sister stats?

A URM with a 175 and a 3.5 from Stanford would have a good chance. Definitely tell her to apply.

1004LSAT wrote:Are there any fast food joints within walking distance of the campus? And how's the pizza around there?
Do many people bring cars to school?

There's a lot of food in Harvard Square, including a Chipotle. There's a lot of pizza places around too, some of it is ok, some is good. Not a lot of people bring their cars, but I brought mine. It is definitely nice to have one if you can afford a parking space.

Objection wrote:Is the law school more of a sectioned-off community, or are there opportunities for interaction with undergrads and students in the other grad schools?

It seems pretty sectioned off to me, but there are some parties with the business school and stuff.
(I like to branch out!)

It seems pretty sectioned off to me, but there are some parties with the business school. Some of the clubs do things with the undergrad's sister club too.

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Where is the law school in relation to the UG campus?

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Objection wrote:Where is the law school in relation to the UG campus?

About 30 yards north of the UG campus.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:19 am

I don't know if someone already asked this, but what's the transportation system like in Boston/Cambridge? Is it a hassle not to have a car?

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:37 pm

iagolives wrote:I don't know if someone already asked this, but what's the transportation system like in Boston/Cambridge? Is it a hassle not to have a car?

There is a pretty good public transit system (buses and a subway). I only know a couple of people who have cars and everyone else gets by just fine.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:23 pm

brokendowncar wrote:
iagolives wrote:I don't know if someone already asked this, but what's the transportation system like in Boston/Cambridge? Is it a hassle not to have a car?

There is a pretty good public transit system (buses and a subway). I only know a couple of people who have cars and everyone else gets by just fine.

Thanks!

Another random question, but I see you're in the UK... Where in the UK are you? I was there for some time last year and I love it there!

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Actually I went to UK, as in the University of Kentucky. I should probably be more explicit as you're not the first to be confused by that.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:23 pm

brokendowncar wrote:Actually I went to UK, as in the University of Kentucky. I should probably be more explicit as you're not the first to be confused by that.

Argh! That's the second time that's happened to me on this board...

I feel so dumb.... haha

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm a recent admit (YES!) and my wife and I are leaning toward HLS (unless Yale lets me in -- that's a game changer!). How many folks live in Cambridge vs. elsewhere? We have friends who live in Davis Square in Somerville and love it. What about Boston neighborhoods?

We live in sort of a hole here in DC, and we're looking to have a few amenities for three years (dishwasher, w/d in unit, etc.). How much should we expect to pay in these various places? I've looked at Craigslist, but it just doesn't seem to have a whole lot on there right now.

Also, what about Harvard Affiliated Housing? Is it nice? OK to deal with?

brokendowncar

Postby brokendowncar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:12 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:I'm a recent admit (YES!) and my wife and I are leaning toward HLS (unless Yale lets me in -- that's a game changer!). How many folks live in Cambridge vs. elsewhere? We have friends who live in Davis Square in Somerville and love it. What about Boston neighborhoods?

We live in sort of a hole here in DC, and we're looking to have a few amenities for three years (dishwasher, w/d in unit, etc.). How much should we expect to pay in these various places? I've looked at Craigslist, but it just doesn't seem to have a whole lot on there right now.

Also, what about Harvard Affiliated Housing? Is it nice? OK to deal with?

I don't want you to feel ignored, but I don't really have good answers to these questions. Davis square is pretty fun and definitely manageable in terms of distance. That is about all I know. Good luck and congrats!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”