Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zabagabe

Re: Berkeley 1L taking Qs...

Postby zabagabe » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:28 am

I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with receiving a matching scholarship? I'm concerned by a couple of things:

1. From what I can see from last year's boards, it seemed like no more than a dozen or so people end up getting to capitalize on this (i.e., Berkeley doesn't offer all that many matching scholarships) - is this true?
2. The wording in the acceptance package info on the matching scholarship suggests that when you accept the scholarship, you must withdraw from all other schools. Do you know when you must accept? Is it by the June 1 deadline, or is it earlier?
3. Finally, how much of an advantage is there in submitting a matching request as soon as possible vs. waiting for the largest possible scholarship offer from another school? Many schools don't award their scholarships until March-April, and I'm wondering if Berkeley is done offering matches by then?

Thanks! Congrats on being finished with finals.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 am

1. I don't know how many they offer, but I'm sure it's well above a dozen. That said, they definitely do not give offers to anyone.

2. Not sure

3. I waited until April when I heard from UVa, and they said it was too late to match funds.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:33 am

zabagabe wrote:I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with receiving a matching scholarship? I'm concerned by a couple of things:

1. From what I can see from last year's boards, it seemed like no more than a dozen or so people end up getting to capitalize on this (i.e., Berkeley doesn't offer all that many matching scholarships) - is this true?
2. The wording in the acceptance package info on the matching scholarship suggests that when you accept the scholarship, you must withdraw from all other schools. Do you know when you must accept? Is it by the June 1 deadline, or is it earlier?
3. Finally, how much of an advantage is there in submitting a matching request as soon as possible vs. waiting for the largest possible scholarship offer from another school? Many schools don't award their scholarships until March-April, and I'm wondering if Berkeley is done offering matches by then?

Thanks! Congrats on being finished with finals.

Better to call and ask an assistant dean

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:39 am

1. It's a helluva lot more competitive than the marketing suggests. I don't know how many in total are offered, but you should choose your matching school and offer wisely.

2. It's a rolling deadline depending on when you get the match. They offer you a match, and you have a few weeks to pull the trigger. Last year, 1st round offers had until 4/30, 2nd round until 5/23.

3. I think the submission deadline last year was 4/1. I submitted shortly after that time (on the okay of the office) with my highest offer under the mistaken impression that matches were not that competitive. I think you are okay as long as you submit by late March. I did not get the impression that the contact person had even looked at the applications for matches when I spoke to her. I would recommend submitting decent offers from close USNWR peers, e.g. UVA, Michigan, Penn, or higher.

Dan1044

Postby Dan1044 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:40 am

How is LARP? Thanx

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:12 am

If you mean LRAP, it's good. Under 58K/yr salary = 100% payment of loans. Above that up to 100K is a sliding scale. Drawback is no coverage for clerkships. Some schools, e.g. NYU, do cover.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:41 am

Formerbruin wrote:Most 1L's probably are. Most 2Ls (of whom I am one) are probably just relieved.

I don't think the grades are really all that different from the top schools that still have grades. For example, at UVa, 20% get A- or higher, 60% get B+/B, and 20% get below a B. So instead of 20/60/20, you have 10/30/60. Basically the lowest 20% of the class gets subsidized by the middle 20%. So if you fear you're in the bottom 20% in any given class, yes the Boalt system helps. However, if you're near the middle of the class, it hurts (in comparison to UVa) because we can't differentiate you from the guy who demonstrated minimum proficiency.

According to Jack Bauer "Class rank will not be disclosed to employers through the school. It is also a honor code violation to disclose it yourself for any purpose other than applying for clerkships or other academic positions."

Why do grades/class rank matter at all, if employers can't ever see them for anyone at Boalt? Also, how do employers go about hiring?

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:31 am

Class rank is not disclosed, sans clerkships and academia. Grades, which are printed on one's transcript, are disclosed.

Grades matter to some employers and not to others. Some employers want to see the transcript, some don't care. That's true for other top schools as well. Cravath is only taking top students at top schools, but plenty of firms paying market and those paying less but offering lower billable hours are happy to hire grads from top law schools regardless of grades. The competition is getting in to these schools, not in getting top marks. That's not to say that grades don't matter or that they don't open or close some doors; they do, but far less doors are closed.

NoodlesHighChief

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:36 am

I just got into Berkeley and am leaning towards it. But I am from the Midwest and I can not see myself living in California forever. What do you guys know about the amount of Berkeley grads that end up in the Midwest and the East Coast (especially DC) and what they end up doing there?

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:43 pm

I hope FB will chime in on this, as I remember him having some actual data on this last cycle.

Most of us stay in California. I wasn't planning on staying here, but now that I'm here, I may do so. My impression from the 2Ls and 3Ls is that if you want to go to the Midwest or East Coast, you can do so, and you can work at Vault firms, gov't or PI. Most of the major employers in each category interview here, so you have plenty of options.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:24 am

doomswitched wrote:1. It's a helluva lot more competitive than the marketing suggests. I don't know how many in total are offered, but you should choose your matching school and offer wisely.

2. It's a rolling deadline depending on when you get the match. They offer you a match, and you have a few weeks to pull the trigger. Last year, 1st round offers had until 4/30, 2nd round until 5/23.

3. I think the submission deadline last year was 4/1. I submitted shortly after that time (on the okay of the office) with my highest offer under the mistaken impression that matches were not that competitive. I think you are okay as long as you submit by late March. I did not get the impression that the contact person had even looked at the applications for matches when I spoke to her. I would recommend submitting decent offers from close USNWR peers, e.g. UVA, Michigan, Penn, or higher.

In terms of the timing for this, do you submit your other financial aid stuff to Berkeley earlier and get an offer and then come back later with the matching? Basically does Berkeley give you an offer and then you can submit another one for matching later? Also, how generous is Berkeley outside the matching program?

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:42 pm

In terms of the timing for this, do you submit your other financial aid stuff to Berkeley earlier and get an offer and then come back later with the matching? Basically does Berkeley give you an offer and then you can submit another one for matching later?

No. You may only submit one school's offer. If you get $20k from Duke, submit it, and then the next day get $30k from UVa...only the $20k offer will be considered.

Also, how generous is Berkeley outside the matching program?

Not very, unless you're a minority, in which case there are quite a few Phoenix Fellowships available.

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Is Berkeley really in an unsafe part? The first thing people tell me is that it's in the "ghetto." Is that true?

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Depends where you are. The north and east sides of campus are very nice areas. The west isn't bad either. The south side is where you'll find more homeless people (Telegraph Ave., People's Park), but there are always a lot of undergrads milling around. I live a few blocks south of campus, and I just ignore the homeless people. I don't really feel unsafe, but it's not a ritzy area at all. It's definitely not Westwood or Palo Alto.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:13 pm

Formerbruin wrote:
In terms of the timing for this, do you submit your other financial aid stuff to Berkeley earlier and get an offer and then come back later with the matching? Basically does Berkeley give you an offer and then you can submit another one for matching later?

No. You may only submit one school's offer. If you get $20k from Duke, submit it, and then the next day get $30k from UVa...only the $20k offer will be considered.

Not very, unless you're a minority, in which case there are quite a few Phoenix Fellowships available.

define "minority" does Asian count?

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Formerbruin wrote:

Thanks. I guess I should have phrased the first question better, but what I was trying to find out was can I get a Berkeley offer (without any matching considerations) in March, then get an offer from school X a few days later and then go back to Berkeley with that for the matching program after getting an original offer from Berkeley. I suppose, though, that if Berkeley isn't too generous outside of matching, it's not really a big concern.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:08 pm

define "minority" does Asian count?

Sorry, should have been more clear. Underrepresented minority. African-Americans, Chicanos/Latinos, Native Americans.

And yes, if Berkeley independently gives you an offer, if you have a counteroffer, you can submit it to try to get more money.

saradsun

Postby saradsun » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:30 am

I submitted my matching right after I got my UVA offer, say, 3rd or 4th week of March. Berkeley told me at ASD that I received one, then I had twelve days to decide to accept and withdraw from all other schools and waitlists.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:00 am

Cool. Thanks for all the help with this. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of numbers did people that got matching scholarships have? Or was it much more application-as-a-whole based?

NoodlesHighChief

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:50 pm

I heard that Berkeley students get free public transportation. Is this true?

babs22pa

Postby babs22pa » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Fare for buses in the city of Berkeley is included (I think at a significant discount) in the tuition.

Ken

Postby Ken » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Great to see so many Berkeley students fielding all of these inquiries. Looking forward to seeing everyone again at ASD as I will do my best to be there.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:55 pm

babs22pa wrote:Fare for buses in the city of Berkeley is included (I think at a significant discount) in the tuition.

Hi Babs =)

You can also take the transbay bus for free right into SF.

OldBlue

Postby OldBlue » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:34 pm

Quick question: how badly will Cal beat Miami today?

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:17 pm

27-13

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”