Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Formerbruin

Bronze

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Post by Formerbruin » Tue May 05, 2009 10:20 pm

madison12991 wrote:I need to get a new wireless carrier. Any info. on the best/worst service? I just want a very simple phone for calling and texting.

I dealt with Sprint dropping my calls for three years (in the midwest, not Cali) and don't want to go back to that.
Most of my friends have Verizon. It works very well.
amyLAchemist wrote:Computer question:

How do you take exams? I was reading on their website that they no longer use ExamSoft and using a PC or a Mac is ok. My plan was to get a netbook for taking notes during class, and use my MacBook for exams. Is this reasonable? Macs are really ok?

Thanks!!!
You can use any laptop computer with wireless internet (or USB ports for flash drives) and a program that can generate .docs. There is no software involved. Apparently they trust us or something.

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Any experience with computer specials/discounts offered to students? I would love to get my laptop and get it all set up before I move out there, but don't want to miss out on any amazing price breaks or service arrangements offered exclusively to students.

Much love to all the Berkeley students for keeping this thread going - I find it very, very helpful as I figure everything out for my move in *gasp* less than 3 months.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sun May 10, 2009 10:22 pm

madison12991 wrote:Any experience with computer specials/discounts offered to students? I would love to get my laptop and get it all set up before I move out there, but don't want to miss out on any amazing price breaks or service arrangements offered exclusively to students.

Much love to all the Berkeley students for keeping this thread going - I find it very, very helpful as I figure everything out for my move in *gasp* less than 3 months.
When I looked into it (gee, two years ago already?), the deals weren't particularly impressive. I found better ones going through Dell/Apple online.

And I'm glad you found us helpful. I think we're a good bunch, overall :)

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:19 pm

I've gotten an offer to live in a house with a few other guys. I'll have my own room. The rent will be $850 plus utilities, and I guess utilities usually run about $50/month which includes internet and cable. It's on the north side, about 1.5 miles north of Boalt. It sounds like a pretty nice place, with laundry in the house, 2.5 bathrooms, etc.

Does this seem like a pretty good deal? I still kind of want to live alone, but figure that it will be hard to find a decent place that close to campus for anything less than about $1050/month after paying for utilities and internet. Or can I find a one bedroom or studio that's reasonably close to campus and will cost me aroud $950 or so after everything? I don't need a lot of space, but don't want to live somewhere that's cheap because the landlord doesn't fix anything or there's an infestation or it's a room in a frat. I've seen some 1BRs and studios on Craigslist for about $900 that have pretty good locations, but I don't know if that pricing will change for August vacancies and don't really know what those apartments are like.

If only Manville's rooms had a normal sized refrigerator and an oven, I could live there and this would all be so much easier...

Thanks for any help you all can give me!

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Mon May 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Seems a bit high, but it's North Berkeley, so probably fine. I support locking things in and leaving yourself little to worry about once you get here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Tue May 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Totally non-academic question: Does Boalt have an IM softball team (male or co-ed)? TIA!

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Tue May 19, 2009 4:12 pm

madison12991 wrote:I've gotten an offer to live in a house with a few other guys. I'll have my own room. The rent will be $850 plus utilities, and I guess utilities usually run about $50/month which includes internet and cable. It's on the north side, about 1.5 miles north of Boalt. It sounds like a pretty nice place, with laundry in the house, 2.5 bathrooms, etc.

Does this seem like a pretty good deal? I still kind of want to live alone, but figure that it will be hard to find a decent place that close to campus for anything less than about $1050/month after paying for utilities and internet. Or can I find a one bedroom or studio that's reasonably close to campus and will cost me aroud $950 or so after everything? I don't need a lot of space, but don't want to live somewhere that's cheap because the landlord doesn't fix anything or there's an infestation or it's a room in a frat. I've seen some 1BRs and studios on Craigslist for about $900 that have pretty good locations, but I don't know if that pricing will change for August vacancies and don't really know what those apartments are like.

If only Manville's rooms had a normal sized refrigerator and an oven, I could live there and this would all be so much easier...

If it's a nice house with relatively new appliances, and especially if it has an onsite washer/dryer, that's not bad at all. Northside's pretty expensive, and especially if you want something within 5/6 blocks from campus, that's a good price to pay.

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:34 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:
madison12991 wrote:I've gotten an offer to live in a house with a few other guys. I'll have my own room. The rent will be $850 plus utilities, and I guess utilities usually run about $50/month which includes internet and cable. It's on the north side, about 1.5 miles north of Boalt. It sounds like a pretty nice place, with laundry in the house, 2.5 bathrooms, etc.

If it's a nice house with relatively new appliances, and especially if it has an onsite washer/dryer, that's not bad at all. Northside's pretty expensive, and especially if you want something within 5/6 blocks from campus, that's a good price to pay.
Oh man, this is making me question whether I should move into this house...

So if I looked to live within a mile or so of campus in a studio or 1BR on the south side, do you all think I have a shot at getting a place that has a kitchen with full size refrigerator and stove for around $900 or $950 per month, including utilities and internet? Or will I pay more?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Anyone ever live in Emeryville? Just wondering how convenient the Emery-go-round really is. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Tue May 19, 2009 4:43 pm

madison12991 wrote:
heyyitskatie wrote:

So if I looked to live within a mile or so of campus in a studio or 1BR on the south side, do you all think I have a shot at getting a place that has a kitchen with full size refrigerator and stove for around $900 or $950 per month, including utilities and internet? Or will I pay more?
Yes, you do. Keep in mind that "a mile from campus" could be like a 35 minute walk to Boalt, since the campus is at least five (small) blocks long. If you have a bike, scooter, and/or motorcycle (I don't include car because driving to school every day is a royal pain)...it's not bad at all. My SO has a studio near the Ashby BART for 800 a month with a full kitchen and stove. Keep in mind that even under a mile from campus, though, if you move far enough to get these low prices, you might still feel kind of isolated.

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:52 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:
madison12991 wrote:
heyyitskatie wrote:

Yes, you do. Keep in mind that "a mile from campus" could be like a 35 minute walk to Boalt, since the campus is at least five (small) blocks long. If you have a bike, scooter, and/or motorcycle (I don't include car because driving to school every day is a royal pain)...it's not bad at all. My SO has a studio near the Ashby BART for 800 a month with a full kitchen and stove. Keep in mind that even under a mile from campus, though, if you move far enough to get these low prices, you might still feel kind of isolated.
Thanks for all of this advice - it really helps.

That feeling of isolation is what I'm most worried about. In that respect, and considering that I'll be a grad student, am I actually better off on the north side? I have already been to grad school once for another program, and my experience there (UW-Madison) was that living off campus would make it much more difficult to be social because you had to drive to campus to do anything, and people had to drive to your place to hang out. I don't want that.

hownowbrowncow

New

Post by hownowbrowncow » Fri May 22, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for taking questions. This is a bit of a parochial question, but I was wondering if you knew anything about the competitiveness of a Boalt degree compared to UT law in TX? Several posts I've read claim that some TX firms look more favorably on a UT degree than one from HYSB. Do you know of any Boalt Texans (or HYS Texans for that matter) who are considered scofflaw for not going to Austin? Much appreciated.

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Sat May 23, 2009 7:45 pm

hownowbrowncow wrote:Thanks for taking questions. This is a bit of a parochial question, but I was wondering if you knew anything about the competitiveness of a Boalt degree compared to UT law in TX? Several posts I've read claim that some TX firms look more favorably on a UT degree than one from HYSB. Do you know of any Boalt Texans (or HYS Texans for that matter) who are considered scofflaw for not going to Austin? Much appreciated.
I'm not aware of this, but it could happen at a few of the B and C tier firms.

@Housing
There are new places every day in the Bay Area (just look at Craigslist), so no one should freak out about not having a place. The only reason to be concerned would be if someone wanted to be a couple blocks from Boalt, since the search area would be so small. As far as hanging out with other people goes, where you live is likely not that big a problem. Go to happy hours, join one of the gazillion student groups. Did Admissions or Student Services send out the link to Cal Rentals? I think they have a guide to various neighborhoods on their website.

@Bus System
I don't have a car or bike, and I live too far to walk, so I am dependent on the buses. It's functional; it could be much better. Consistency is a problem; i.e., the buses are far too frequently late. The 51 is particularly problematic in this respect; however, it is supposed to run every 10 minutes, so even when late, you aren't waiting that long. The good thing about the bus system is that you are generally close to several different lines no matter where you are. 511.org is a good resource for planning trips.

@Parking Permit
Of the people I know who drive to campus, none have made any complaints about getting the permit. Finding a parking place, however, can be a problem. But not for motorcycles, which can park right next to Boalt. I've never seen that area full.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sat May 23, 2009 8:07 pm

hownowbrowncow wrote:Thanks for taking questions. This is a bit of a parochial question, but I was wondering if you knew anything about the competitiveness of a Boalt degree compared to UT law in TX? Several posts I've read claim that some TX firms look more favorably on a UT degree than one from HYSB. Do you know of any Boalt Texans (or HYS Texans for that matter) who are considered scofflaw for not going to Austin? Much appreciated.
One of my best friends here is from Texas. She had her pick of Texas firms at OCI since they're not all that popular, and had her pick of firms in Texas. She's somewhere near the middle of the class.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Sorry if this has already been answered in here somewhere, but should we buy supplements before classes start (when we can still have our families nearby to help pay for them :D ), or should we wait? I'm wondering if most professors reccommend specific supplements for their courses or if Berkeley students tend to prefer one brand over another.....

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered in here somewhere, but should we buy supplements before classes start (when we can still have our families nearby to help pay for them :D ), or should we wait? I'm wondering if most professors reccommend specific supplements for their courses or if Berkeley students tend to prefer one brand over another.....
For all of the Boalt's required 1L courses, the E&Es are pretty solid. You'll almost certainly want Chirelstein's Concepts and Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts. In general, though, you should look for supplements that are keyed to your casebooks. Until you know the name of the author of the required text, don't take a gamble and potentially waste your cash. Some profs discourage the use of supplements, whereas others will give a list of 10 side texts they think might help. I haven't noticed a favorite brand among Berkeley students...I would just go by amazon reviews if you are looking at something that isn't keyed to the casebook.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Son of Cicero wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered in here somewhere, but should we buy supplements before classes start (when we can still have our families nearby to help pay for them :D ), or should we wait? I'm wondering if most professors reccommend specific supplements for their courses or if Berkeley students tend to prefer one brand over another.....
For all of the Boalt's required 1L courses, the E&Es are pretty solid. You'll almost certainly want Chirelstein's Concepts and Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts. In general, though, you should look for supplements that are keyed to your casebooks. Until you know the name of the author of the required text, don't take a gamble and potentially waste your cash. Some profs discourage the use of supplements, whereas others will give a list of 10 side texts they think might help. I haven't noticed a favorite brand among Berkeley students...I would just go by amazon reviews if you are looking at something that isn't keyed to the casebook.
Thanks for the quick and helpful answer! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

taxman021

New

Post by taxman021 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:37 am

hey, i was wondering if being a cali-resident helps with the boatl application process at all
my numbers are 169 and a 3.83 gpa from an ivy

decent shot at berkeley?

purplebanana

New

Post by purplebanana » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 pm

If any of you can report on what people have said about the International House, it would be much appreciated! I went to visit, but it's summer and it's hard to tell what it would be like there during the school year.
(or point me in the right direction if it's already on this site - I didn't find anything from a forum search)

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:21 am

[quote]Fwiw, I am transferring out of Berkeley right now and our OCI this fall is losing way more firms than peer schools as well as CCN have. Berkeley is only getting about 200 employers (firms and public interest, basically this number includes everything) at our OCI while our peer schools MVP are getting 500 employers. [quote]

Hey everyone...just saw this on another thread and was wondering if a current student could expand on this. Is Berkeley's OCI disporportionally screwed compared with MVP or is there any sort of less crappy explanation for this?

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 pm

I was wondering if any of you use a particular organizing program on your computer. I was a ardent user of Planplus, which is based on Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People when I was at work. But it is not compatible with mac. So I'm looking at Things by Cultured Code (http://culturedcode.com/things/) and Omnifocus (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/). Both are based on the Getting Things Done model. Have any of you used either of these programs or thinking of getting one of them? They also sync with your iphone/ipod touch/or similar mobile phones.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:I was wondering if any of you use a particular organizing program on your computer. I was a ardent user of Planplus, which is based on Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People when I was at work. But it is not compatible with mac. So I'm looking at Things by Cultured Code (http://culturedcode.com/things/) and Omnifocus (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/). Both are based on the Getting Things Done model. Have any of you used either of these programs or thinking of getting one of them? They also sync with your iphone/ipod touch/or similar mobile phones.
I use a program but its packaged under linux, so that's no help to you unless you want to compile it from source. There are a lot of freeware or opensource applications that you can use instead of paying all the money for the apps you listed. http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ is a fairly popular web-based app (i.e., accessible from anywhere, which is nice if you have a desktop at home and a laptop and an iPhone). Gmail can also be hacked using the labels and filters to work under the GTD method. You can just google Gmail and GTD to pull up a pdf guide. I'm fairly sure there are a lot of downloadable apps you can use. You might want to check out maclawstudents.com for other apps.

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi, I looked through the earlier posts on this thread and there was a little discussion about this, so I hope it's ok to revisit since I didn't get all the answers I'm looking for.

I'm thinking about visiting Berkeley Law next Tuesday and was wondering if anyone had course/professor recommendations for classes I should sit in on. I've narrowed it down to some different options since I'll have to leave in the early afternoon:

Civ Pro: Swift
Torts: Levy, Sugarman
Property: Biber, Doremus, Gergen
Crim: Murray

Thanks in advance!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:39 am

spiffypyro wrote:Hi, I looked through the earlier posts on this thread and there was a little discussion about this, so I hope it's ok to revisit since I didn't get all the answers I'm looking for.

I'm thinking about visiting Berkeley Law next Tuesday and was wondering if anyone had course/professor recommendations for classes I should sit in on. I've narrowed it down to some different options since I'll have to leave in the early afternoon:

Civ Pro: Swift
Torts: Levy, Sugarman
Property: Biber, Doremus, Gergen
Crim: Murray

Thanks in advance!
I have Murray and Sugarman and they're both great. Murray is pretty scary, honestly. Awesome, but scary. Seeing two classes might be a good contrast because they are all really different.

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:03 am

Thanks to both of you! I'll have to recheck the schedules but I think that I can make 2 of them. I know that Berkeley's site recommends sitting in on one 1L class and one upper-division, but there weren't really any upper-divs on Tuesday morning that I was particularly interested in, so I might just do 2 of the 1Ls.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”