Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Son of Cicero
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Son of Cicero » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:12 am

Formerbruin wrote:.
heyyitskatie wrote:Hello, everyone!

Hopefully there are still some current Boalt students willing to take questions...because here's mine :)

I went to Berk for UG and, honestly, chose Boalt for a lot of the reasons I'm sick of being an undergrad here (small class sizes, low student/faculty ratio, accessible professors, etc.)...but at this point, I'm wondering what your experience has been like with career services.

As much as I love Boalt and was impressed by everyone I met at ASD, I'm kind of afraid of still going to "public" school...I know this sounds awful and entitled, but for all the money I'm paying to go to law school, I would really like some individualized or at least small group attention. At UG here, it's incredibly easy to fall through the cracks, and those of us that do go on to good professional or graduate schools do it completely on our own (except maybe engineers, since that program is so strong at the UG level). So...are the career / study abroad / field placement / etc. staff actually good at what they do and willing to spend time with students on an individual level?


I went to UCLA undergrad, so I probably had a similar experience in terms of bureaucracy. The difference is night and day. It feels like a private school (at least to me) in terms of responsiveness and getting things done. The CDO (Career Development Office) has not been short of stellar, and field placement is easy, especially if you're going to be in CA or participating in the UCDC program.

Study abroad programs are lacking, but I am not a particular fan, considering all the missed opportunities if you go abroad.

Agreed on the CDO's helpfulness. For example, about an hour and a half before a judicial externship interview that had come up unexpectedly during finals week, I called the CDO to ask the guy who oversees clerkships if he could give me a few last-minute pointers on interviewing for externships, and within an hour he had gotten three of the same judge's former externs to call me with advice. I have never had to wait more than a day for a response to any of my numerous emails to the office, and I have yet to be turned away when stopping by for an unscheduled meeting.

hegemonhobbes23
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby hegemonhobbes23 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:05 pm

If you can recall, what do you most 1L's do for housing year 1? Also, at Ida House do they match you with Boalt students, or just Grad Students in general?

river85
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby river85 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:23 am

I'm probably going to be in Manville my first year, which I've heard is pretty close to the law school. But I don't want to walk more than 5-10 mins to class every day (what can I say, I'm that lazy). Is Boalt within a 10 min walk? Alternatively, do a lot of people bike around or take the bus over from Manville?

User avatar
babs22pa
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:21 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby babs22pa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:26 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:Hello, everyone!

Hopefully there are still some current Boalt students willing to take questions...because here's mine :)

I went to Berk for UG and, honestly, chose Boalt for a lot of the reasons I'm sick of being an undergrad here (small class sizes, low student/faculty ratio, accessible professors, etc.)...but at this point, I'm wondering what your experience has been like with career services.

As much as I love Boalt and was impressed by everyone I met at ASD, I'm kind of afraid of still going to "public" school...I know this sounds awful and entitled, but for all the money I'm paying to go to law school, I would really like some individualized or at least small group attention. At UG here, it's incredibly easy to fall through the cracks, and those of us that do go on to good professional or graduate schools do it completely on our own (except maybe engineers, since that program is so strong at the UG level). So...are the career / study abroad / field placement / etc. staff actually good at what they do and willing to spend time with students on an individual level?


I was just talking to another Berkeley 1L who also went to undergrad here. She was telling me how little support there was for undergrads at Cal and how much more supportive she finds the law school. I am not sure how things are at private law schools, but there seems to be plenty of help here (career advice, asp/tutoring, profs who are willing to mentor you, therapy, etc.). Regarding the CDO, they are always having talks during lunchtime. The one person I contacted during my 1L job search was very helpful and genuinely seemed to care about me. There is also plenty of resume/coverletter/etc. advice and mock interviews.

This is a very active law school and generally there's always someone to answer you questions... except for why your European Union law professor is still in Germany (long story)... The bottom line is- you may have to search the people out, but they are here and (at least in my experience) they are supportive. CDOs are CDOs. They are going to give you as much help as they can, but in the end you have to get the job.

Go_Cardinals
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Go_Cardinals » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

I imagine most students end up getting off campus apartments after their first year. But can any 1L talk about what most students do for their first year? thanks

mycousinvinny
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby mycousinvinny » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

[quote="babs22pa]
I was just talking to another Berkeley 1L who also went to undergrad here. She was telling me how little support there was for undergrads at Cal and how much more supportive she finds the law school. I am not sure how things are at private law schools, but there seems to be plenty of help here (career advice, asp/tutoring, profs who are willing to mentor you, therapy, etc.). Regarding the CDO, they are always having talks during lunchtime. The one person I contacted during my 1L job search was very helpful and genuinely seemed to care about me. There is also plenty of resume/coverletter/etc. advice and mock interviews.

This is a very active law school and generally there's always someone to answer you questions... except for why your European Union law professor is still in Germany (long story)... The bottom line is- you may have to search the people out, but they are here and (at least in my experience) they are supportive. CDOs are CDOs. They are going to give you as much help as they can, but in the end you have to get the job.[/quote]

Has anyone told you how beautiful and awesome you are. Reason enough to go to Boalt is that Babs goes there.

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Formerbruin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:02 pm

babs22pa wrote:except for why your European Union law professor is still in Germany (long story)...


:D :D

mycousinvinny wrote:Has anyone told you how beautiful and awesome you are. Reason enough to go to Boalt is that Babs goes there.


:D :D

User avatar
babs22pa
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:21 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby babs22pa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Oh you guys... :oops: :)

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby zabagabe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:43 am

Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)

User avatar
doomswitched
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:18 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby doomswitched » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:37 am

I think no one answered it earlier b/c no TLS peeps live there. I really haven't noticed that area being loud out night, but I don't walk past on a regular basis. Rent is probably month-to-month rather than a 1-year lease, so if it is unbearably loud, you could always find another place.

User avatar
feeblemiles
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby feeblemiles » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Anyone care to weigh in on the cost of books and supplies. I'm sure there are expensive and cheap ways to get what you need, but I'd love to hear some ballpark figures for what I can expect to spend on books, etc.

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Formerbruin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 pm

feeblemiles wrote:Anyone care to weigh in on the cost of books and supplies. I'm sure there are expensive and cheap ways to get what you need, but I'd love to hear some ballpark figures for what I can expect to spend on books, etc.


I always bought books at the store the first day, then went online (Amazon or half.com), purchased another copy, and returned the books at the store within two weeks.

If you buy at the bookstore, you're probably looking at $700-$800 each semester your first year. If you buy online, you can probably cut off at least $100 buying new, and more buying used.

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Formerbruin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:37 pm

zabagabe wrote:Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)


I know one person for whom earplugs and the library were enough, and another who moved out because of the noise. The noise is worst on Thursdays, and can be bad on Fridays and Saturdays.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby TheNerdProject » Fri May 01, 2009 12:46 am

Formerbruin wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)


I know one person for whom earplugs and the library were enough, and another who moved out because of the noise. The noise is worst on Thursdays, and can be bad on Fridays and Saturdays.

Where do you usually study FB? Do you have any particular places that you highly recommend? Any places we should stay away from? Thanks!

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Formerbruin » Fri May 01, 2009 2:29 am

TheNerdProject wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)


I know one person for whom earplugs and the library were enough, and another who moved out because of the noise. The noise is worst on Thursdays, and can be bad on Fridays and Saturdays.

Where do you usually study FB? Do you have any particular places that you highly recommend? Any places we should stay away from? Thanks!


I'm personally a fan of the undergrad (Doe) library. It's quiet and has great rooms you can reserve. I try to stay away from the law library, especially during finals, since it's a bit too intense for me. I don't think there's anywhere else I'd recommend against. Everyone has his place to study.

DooshDiggalowe
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby DooshDiggalowe » Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 am

zabagabe wrote:Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)



My friend illegally subletted the place for a summer while I was across the street at a frat house. His window looked directly into Sigma Chi next door. I never spent the night there, but I think it's safe to assume you'll probably hear parties the majority of nights. But things generally die down around 2-3 am, which is when you should be getting back from the library anyways if you were at all serious about being a law student. Or coming back from a party of your own...

DooshDiggalowe
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby DooshDiggalowe » Fri May 01, 2009 3:52 am

TheNerdProject wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)


I know one person for whom earplugs and the library were enough, and another who moved out because of the noise. The noise is worst on Thursdays, and can be bad on Fridays and Saturdays.

Where do you usually study FB? Do you have any particular places that you highly recommend? Any places we should stay away from? Thanks!


Try Cafe Zeb in Simon Hall. The patio's great on most days.
The Music Library is really small. If that's what you're into.
Some people like the Cesar Chavez center, but it's not for me. It's too loud and everyone is ALWAYS eating something.
If you're feeling especially righteous I suggest Free Speech Movement cafe. I don't recommend it for those allergic to bums.
I always preferred Moffitt to Doe. Less distractions. Sound carries in Doe like Oski carries VD.
Oh, and try the Bear's Lair on Fridays around 4. Primo studiage dude.

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby zabagabe » Fri May 01, 2009 9:53 am

DooshDiggalowe wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)



My friend illegally subletted the place for a summer while I was across the street at a frat house. His window looked directly into Sigma Chi next door. I never spent the night there, but I think it's safe to assume you'll probably hear parties the majority of nights. But things generally die down around 2-3 am, which is when you should be getting back from the library anyways if you were at all serious about being a law student. Or coming back from a party of your own...


Yikes! Ok, is Manville better? Any pros or cons I should be aware of? Thanks! :)

calkel
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby calkel » Fri May 01, 2009 1:12 pm

zabagabe wrote:
DooshDiggalowe wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Apologies for the cross-post...

Does anyone know much about the Ida Jackson house? I know I read earlier this year in the forums that it's near the frats and can get really loud some nights, but I'm just wondering if that's mostly contained to weekends and if earplugs will solve the problem (no one responded when someone asked this a few months ago)? Thanks! :)



My friend illegally subletted the place for a summer while I was across the street at a frat house. His window looked directly into Sigma Chi next door. I never spent the night there, but I think it's safe to assume you'll probably hear parties the majority of nights. But things generally die down around 2-3 am, which is when you should be getting back from the library anyways if you were at all serious about being a law student. Or coming back from a party of your own...


Yikes! Ok, is Manville better? Any pros or cons I should be aware of? Thanks! :)


I don't know Manville. Is that like the Castro District of Berkeley? I would try to live as close to campus as possible because you will not want to drive, unless you don't mind the enormous burden. Boalt's on the Southeast part of campus, which is across the street from frat row. You'll probably want to live on Northside where it's quieter and more expensive, but expect walks to class to take 15-30 mins. I suggest purchasing a segway and riding it into class everyday. Attend classes while on your segway as well. It will give you that gunner's advantage when spewing hypos all over your classmates.

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Formerbruin » Fri May 01, 2009 2:08 pm

A lot of us lived in Manville as 1Ls. It was small, but very convenient to the BART and the Shattuck business area, and a 15-20 minute walk to Boalt. I think it's great for those who don't know the area for their first year. You're far away from the parties, though.

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby zabagabe » Fri May 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Formerbruin wrote:A lot of us lived in Manville as 1Ls. It was small, but very convenient to the BART and the Shattuck business area, and a 15-20 minute walk to Boalt. I think it's great for those who don't know the area for their first year. You're far away from the parties, though.


Ok awesome, thanks. :) I'm overseas so functional + easy to rent is my main priority. If I'm not permanently enjoying the soothing sounds of 50 Cent, it's a major bonus!

User avatar
saradsun
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:21 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby saradsun » Sun May 03, 2009 9:31 pm

In way of an apology over my earlier negative remarks about living in the family student housing (now that the hot water is fixed, its been great), I'm linking to some pictures of a remarkable resource (if you have a car) that I've never heard anyone else talk about... Albany beach. Just drive under the freeway, just 5 minutes door to parking your car, you can head to Albany beach to watch the sunset. After a long day studying, I cannot tell you how much it relieves me to be able to do this.

If anyone is still undecided about Boalt, anyway.

ok, actually, I'm just avoiding another practice Contracts exam question, so humor me.

http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu25 ... -29_Beach/

**edit: changed picture link
Last edited by saradsun on Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

river85
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby river85 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:54 pm

saradsun wrote:In way of an apology over my earlier negative remarks about living in the family student housing (now that the hot water is fixed, its been great), I'm linking to some pictures of a remarkable resource (if you have a car) that I've never heard anyone else talk about... Albany beach. Just drive under the freeway, just 5 minutes door to parking your car, you can head to Albany beach to watch the sunset. After a long day studying, I cannot tell you how much it relieves me to be able to do this.

If anyone is still undecided about Boalt, anyway.

ok, actually, I'm just avoiding another practice Contracts exam question, so humor me.

http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/saradsun/


I can't tell you how happy your pictures just made me. I had almost forgotten how much I miss California.

User avatar
saradsun
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:21 am

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby saradsun » Sun May 03, 2009 10:45 pm

:mrgreen: 8) :D

madison12991
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby madison12991 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:04 pm

I need to get a new wireless carrier. Any info. on the best/worst service? I just want a very simple phone for calling and texting.

I dealt with Sprint dropping my calls for three years (in the midwest, not Cali) and don't want to go back to that.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests