Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Formerbruin

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby Formerbruin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:52 am

mijahe wrote:Another question about the matching scholarships:

When did people typically submit the scholarship offer you were looking to get matched? Also, did you just submit the largest one you got? Would it make sense to submit, for instance, a Michigan one for a smaller amount than a Duke one, because they figure you're more likely to be actually choosing between Michigan and Berkeley?

Hey,

Sorry nobody has answered this, but I don't think anyone here really "knows" the answers beyond pure speculation. I submitted mine as soon as I got my first T14 offer I was seriously considering (UVa), though that was still too late (early April, I believe). Not sure if the Michigan/Duke thing makes a difference; if I had to answer that, I'd say it probably doesn't matter because they judge you on your own merits whether you deserve the scholarship rather than what other school you're considering. After all, it's a bright line regarding what schools they accept competing offers from and what schools they don't. But I could be wrong.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:10 am

Formerbruin wrote:
mijahe wrote:Another question about the matching scholarships:

When did people typically submit the scholarship offer you were looking to get matched? Also, did you just submit the largest one you got? Would it make sense to submit, for instance, a Michigan one for a smaller amount than a Duke one, because they figure you're more likely to be actually choosing between Michigan and Berkeley?

Hey,

Sorry nobody has answered this, but I don't think anyone here really "knows" the answers beyond pure speculation. I submitted mine as soon as I got my first T14 offer I was seriously considering (UVa), though that was still too late (early April, I believe). Not sure if the Michigan/Duke thing makes a difference; if I had to answer that, I'd say it probably doesn't matter because they judge you on your own merits whether you deserve the scholarship rather than what other school you're considering. After all, it's a bright line regarding what schools they accept competing offers from and what schools they don't. But I could be wrong.

No problem. I know it's a difficult question to really know the answer to, but couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the response.

I really like Berkeley; just hope that financially, it makes sense--and I can afford--to go there.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:28 am

To any Berkeley 1Ls....

Do you know anyone in your class who got in after being sent to committee review? I know there's a 1 in 8 chance, and I have read the interviews and info posted on this board, but I am curious if anyone has an inside perspective. Thanks!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 am

I've got a question re: faculty review, too. Is it appropriate to send in LOCI and any additional materials while one is in faculty review? I got sent there with 168, 3.99 and am planning on retaking LSAT in Feb (though granted, my decision would likely be rendered before I got the score). I assume letting them know I'm retaking wouldn't make much difference since I'm pretty sure LSAT wasn't what kept me from being outright admitted, but still?

In general, is there any way to boost one's chances (via LOCI and the like) while the file is in faculty review? Or should we all just sit tight and hope for the best?

If any of the Berkeley 1Ls that has experience with being admitted via faculty review could chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:25 pm

I've got a question re: faculty review, too. Is it appropriate to send in LOCI and any additional materials while one is in faculty review? I got sent there with 168, 3.99 and am planning on retaking LSAT in Feb (though granted, my decision would likely be rendered before I got the score). I assume letting them know I'm retaking wouldn't make much difference since I'm pretty sure LSAT wasn't what kept me from being outright admitted, but still?

I don't know much about faculty review, but I'm pretty sure that if you sent a letter saying you were going to retake the LSAT (before they render their decision), they would remove the file from faculty review and look at it again once you got your new score.Whether or not a higher score would make a difference in your chances is another question.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Formerbruin wrote:

I don't know much about faculty review, but I'm pretty sure that if you sent a letter saying you were going to retake the LSAT (before they render their decision), they would remove the file from faculty review and look at it again once you got your new score.Whether or not a higher score would make a difference in your chances is another question.

Thanks! :sighs: Nah, I don't think I'll notify them. For one, I'm pretty sure my current LSAT is fine and it was other factors that had me sent to the additional review. And secondly, knowing how much of an advantage there is to getting your file looked at earlier rather than later (the early bird catches the worm, as Dean Tom put it), I highly doubt I'd benefit much by having my file postponed.

I'm just waiting to get my permanent residence so that I have an excuse to contact Boalt for an update and an assurance that I really, really, really love that school to death.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Well hopefully we'll see you here next year!

sellis

Postby sellis » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:58 am

IzziesGal wrote:To any Berkeley 1Ls....

Do you know anyone in your class who got in after being sent to committee review? I know there's a 1 in 8 chance, and I have read the interviews and info posted on this board, but I am curious if anyone has an inside perspective. Thanks!

dresden doll wrote:If any of the Berkeley 1Ls that has experience with being admitted via faculty review could chime in, I'd appreciate it.

I was admitted off of the faculty review last year. My super-secret insider strategy that pushed me into the accept pile: I did nothing. Sorry.

There was speculation last year that people reviewing the committee files might reasonably be expected to deemphasize GPA/LSAT in favor of emphasizing the personal statement and the LORs. I certainly hoped that this was the case, as the track record for people with similar numbers to me on LSN was very poor.

To this day, I maintain that it was my professor's LOR that got me into Boalt. I believe he really stepped up to the plate and delivered a stellar LOR that I'm pretty sure I'm completely unworthy of (but for which I am eternally grateful for regardless).

So yeah, that's it. Not terribly substantive, I'm afraid, but that's what happened. I know the wait is excruciating, and I believe some people who were deferred last year were deferred again for an additional review, so hang in there.

By the way, I'm a 1L at Boalt right now and I kind of really like it here, so I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can (though it looks like you guys are in good hands already). Also, I'm pretty sure Son of Cicero is in my mod, which is pretty cool. I'm not entirely sure who it is, so I'll probably just run around tomorrow saying "HI SON OF CICERO" to all my modmates and see who doesn't run away.

nallku

Postby nallku » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks sellis. I had two STELLAR LORs and one good one. I know that this is a dumb question, but how were classes and do you have any recommendations? Also, I have a 5 month old son and am married, do you know any cheep places for housing (I don't mind mass transit)?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm

sellis wrote:

dresden doll wrote:If any of the Berkeley 1Ls that has experience with being admitted via faculty review could chime in, I'd appreciate it.

I was admitted off of the faculty review last year. My super-secret insider strategy that pushed me into the accept pile: I did nothing. Sorry.

There was speculation last year that people reviewing the committee files might reasonably be expected to deemphasize GPA/LSAT in favor of emphasizing the personal statement and the LORs. I certainly hoped that this was the case, as the track record for people with similar numbers to me on LSN was very poor.

To this day, I maintain that it was my professor's LOR that got me into Boalt. I believe he really stepped up to the plate and delivered a stellar LOR that I'm pretty sure I'm completely unworthy of (but for which I am eternally grateful for regardless).

So yeah, that's it. Not terribly substantive, I'm afraid, but that's what happened. I know the wait is excruciating, and I believe some people who were deferred last year were deferred again for an additional review, so hang in there.

By the way, I'm a 1L at Boalt right now and I kind of really like it here, so I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can (though it looks like you guys are in good hands already). Also, I'm pretty sure Son of Cicero is in my mod, which is pretty cool. I'm not entirely sure who it is, so I'll probably just run around tomorrow saying "HI SON OF CICERO" to all my modmates and see who doesn't run away.

Thank you for giving me some hope! It's also kind of refreshing to know that you didn't do anything (and that there isn't really anything to do at this point) to get accepted when you went to committee review. It kind of takes it out of our hands.

When did you receive your acceptance? Was it via phone call, email, or regular mail? I am going to hold off on more questions until after a decision is rendered - my strategy thus far has been to not get too excited about any of my reach schools, until I know for sure if I am in! Hopefully I'll be able to bombard you with questions this March. :D

sellis

Postby sellis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Last edited by sellis on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Sellis, would you mind posting or PMing your numbers. Thanks

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Also, does Berkeley have a binding ED contract, or do they do ED at all?

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Mosca wrote:Also, does Berkeley have a binding ED contract, or do they do ED at all?

No ED.

saradsun

Postby saradsun » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:00 am

Wanted to update. After nagging them every day for 8 days, I finally have hot water now! Every day! All the time! Hot showers have improved my opinion of the village by quite a bit now :). The plumber was pretty gregarious and forthcoming, however, and he says that because of the way the new (units) were done, he expects a LOT more hot water problem calls and perhaps even a mass replacement sometime in the future.

tecumseh

Postby tecumseh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:18 am

hi,

I currently live a few blocks from campus on college and I was thinking about dropping in on a class (or two) one of these days. Any recommendations and can people just randomly drop in?

I suppose this website is a good start?

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-program ... Search.php

TYIA!

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:32 am

tecumseh wrote:hi,

I currently live a few blocks from campus on college and I was thinking about dropping in on a class (or two) one of these days. Any recommendations and can people just randomly drop in?

TYIA!

Email the professor in advance, and explain what you're doing, but I imagine it wouldn't be much of a problem for larger classes. Give me some choices and I'll make some recommendations.

you rebel scum

Postby you rebel scum » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:45 am

if you can, try dropping in on one large section 1L class and also on one more specialized class in an area that interests you.

tecumseh

Postby tecumseh » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:14 am

Formerbruin wrote:

TYIA!

Email the professor in advance, and explain what you're doing, but I imagine it wouldn't be much of a problem for larger classes. Give me some choices and I'll make some recommendations.

Okay any suggestions among these?

Introduction to Law, Economics and Business
Cooter

China in the International Community
Lubman

Computer Law
Determann

Cyberlaw
Carver

Introduction to Intellectual Property
Merges

And what about the 1st year classes?

Contracts/Criminal Law/Property/Torts

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:56 am

tecumseh wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:

TYIA!

Okay any suggestions among these?

Introduction to Law, Economics and Business
Cooter

China in the International Community
Lubman

Computer Law
Determann

Cyberlaw
Carver

Introduction to Intellectual Property
Merges

And what about the 1st year classes?

Contracts/Criminal Law/Property/Torts

I've heard rave reviews about Carver. Merges is good, but dry. It's a good place to look for 1L gunners, though. Lubman is an expert, but it's mainly a lecture in that class, and the three hours drags on (I went to that class first week). I don't know anything about the other two.

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Intro to IP: reports are that he moves quickly, but that class is fairly good.

1L courses:
Do not go to Contracts. It's too long (1:40).

If Levy is teaching Torts, that might be worth a visit.

Property is not bad, but it's starting to get a bit complex.

Crim is generally accessible, but I don't know who's teaching.

raskolnikov

Postby raskolnikov » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:53 pm

doomswitched wrote:Intro to IP: reports are that he moves quickly, but that class is fairly good.

1L courses:
Do not go to Contracts. It's too long (1:40).

If Levy is teaching Torts, that might be worth a visit.

Property is not bad, but it's starting to get a bit complex.

Crim is generally accessible, but I don't know who's teaching.

Sklansky is an amazing crim prof if you have the opportunity to see him teach.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:13 pm

sellis wrote:

I cannot believe I failed to check this thread and see the nice, informative answer you posted. Thank you very much for your answer!

Formerbruins, thanks for well wishes. I'd love nothing better than to join you guys at Boalt.

I have one more question. Do you guys know of any international students in your classes? I ought to become permanent resident before entering Boalt but am for the time being the international student. Dean Tom has said on occasions that getting admitted as an international was very hard, and I don't know that he was merely referring to the idea that it isn't as easy to do well on the LSAT when English is your second language; I think other obstacles may have been involved. It just has me worried, since Boalt is a state school.

I know some of my international fellow applicants who have all landed in faculty review (and some of them have stronger stats than I do). One of them posted that he'd found out there were no international students at Boalt as the school's disinclined to admit them and that the 'nations represented' portion of Boalt's site merely refers to students with dual citizenship.
I guess I'm just curious as to whether this is correct or not. I think it wouldn't be since I don't see why they'd bother sending me to committee in that case, but if it is true there's strong bias, then :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:. Odds are awful enough as it is, I don't want any additional factors working against me.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:25 pm

dresden doll wrote:
sellis wrote:

I cannot believe I failed to check this thread and see the nice, informative answer you posted. Thank you very much for your answer!

Formerbruins, thanks for well wishes. I'd love nothing better than to join you guys at Boalt.

I have one more question. Do you guys know of any international students in your classes? I ought to become permanent resident before entering Boalt but am for the time being the international student. Dean Tom has said on occasions that getting admitted as an international was very hard, and I don't know that he was merely referring to the idea that it isn't as easy to do well on the LSAT when English is your second language; I think other obstacles may have been involved. It just has me worried, since Boalt is a state school.

I know some of my international fellow applicants who have all landed in faculty review (and some of them have stronger stats than I do). One of them posted that he'd found out there were no international students at Boalt as the school's disinclined to admit them and that the 'nations represented' portion of Boalt's site merely refers to students with dual citizenship.
I guess I'm just curious as to whether this is correct or not. I think it wouldn't be since I don't see why they'd bother sending me to committee in that case, but if it is true there's strong bias, then :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:. Odds are awful enough as it is, I don't want any additional factors working against me.

I don't know anyone here who came directly from another country, but I do know people with green cards at Boalt who originally came to America to attend college. However, they have issues getting loans (though I assume that's anywhere).

tecumseh

Postby tecumseh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Thank you muchly for all the course comments!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”