Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NoodlesHighChief

Re: Berkeley 1L taking Qs...

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:44 pm

What is the deal with the combined degrees with Harvard and Tufts? Does one go to Boston to get a masters from those schools? The website does not do a good job of explaining these programs.

Also is there a specialized certification for Comparative Law like there is for Enivornmental Law?

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:43 pm

I was looking at those dual degree programs for a while. Basically, the route most people take is to spend their first two years at Berkeley, then spend the next three semesters at Harvard/Tufts in Boston, and then return for their final semester at Berkeley. Some people also decide to take advantage of the Harvard exchange program, and then spend their first two years at Berkeley and their second two in Boston taking both master's and JD classes.

The only specialized certifications available are for IP and Environmental Law.

Bright*Star

Postby Bright*Star » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:08 pm

Any suggestions on reasonably priced hotels to stay at for a visit to Berkeley?

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:50 pm

When I visited, I just used Priceline to get a hotel in SF and took the BART in (it's really easy). I paid about $60/night for a three star.

Bright*Star

Postby Bright*Star » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:15 pm

This might seem like a silly question but I'm trying to figure out how much $$ I need to have on hand for housing costs and I want to have an apartment in walking distance to campus when I'm a 1L so I am wondering, are these usually furnished apartments? I'll definitely but things like a new bed but I'm asking because around my UG it was hard to not find a furnished apartment.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:51 pm

I pay $1000/month for a room at Manville, which seems to be the location of choice for a large percentage of each entering class. The room is a little small, but the place is clean, secure (I have to go through 3 locked doors to get into my room), quiet (Ken disputes this point and says the walls are "paper-thin," but I haven't heard any loud noises coming from within the building, and only infrequently from outside), and just 8 blocks from the law school (15-20 minutes walking distance, with a convenient bus stop 2 blocks away that can cut this down to ~10 minutes). It comes with a desk, shelves, a stove, and a mini-fridge. I had to buy a couple of chairs and lamps, my bed, a filing cabinet, and some extra shelves. I think I spent between $1500 and $2000 on these additional furnishings.

Bright*Star

Postby Bright*Star » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Son of Cicero wrote:I pay $1000/month for a room at Manville, which seems to be the location of choice for a large percentage of each entering class. The room is a little small, but the place is clean, secure (I have to go through 3 locked doors to get into my room), quiet (Ken disputes this point and says the walls are "paper-thin," but I haven't heard any loud noises coming from within the building, and only infrequently from outside), and just 8 blocks from the law school (15-20 minutes walking distance, with a convenient bus stop 2 blocks away that can cut this down to ~10 minutes). It comes with a desk, shelves, a stove, and a mini-fridge. I had to buy a couple of chairs and lamps, my bed, a filing cabinet, and some extra shelves. I think I spent between $1500 and $2000 on these additional furnishings.

Thanks!

Bright*Star

Postby Bright*Star » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Son of Cicero wrote:I pay $1000/month for a room at Manville, which seems to be the location of choice for a large percentage of each entering class. The room is a little small, but the place is clean, secure (I have to go through 3 locked doors to get into my room), quiet (Ken disputes this point and says the walls are "paper-thin," but I haven't heard any loud noises coming from within the building, and only infrequently from outside), and just 8 blocks from the law school (15-20 minutes walking distance, with a convenient bus stop 2 blocks away that can cut this down to ~10 minutes). It comes with a desk, shelves, a stove, and a mini-fridge. I had to buy a couple of chairs and lamps, my bed, a filing cabinet, and some extra shelves. I think I spent between $1500 and $2000 on these additional furnishings.

Do you know if you can still establish residency if you live in Manville during 1L?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 pm

Bright*Star wrote:

Do you know if you can still establish residency if you live in Manville during 1L?

yes

Bright*Star

Postby Bright*Star » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:14 pm

I am interested in studying abroad but have not found any telling information on Berkeley's site regarding study abroad options.

Looking back on this forum I found that formerbruin noted that "the problem with a study abroad program is it precludes you from participating in some important activities on campus..." While that makes sense, I'm wondering if studying abroad has recently become more of an option

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:31 pm

How awesome is Berkeley? Be as detailed as you wish.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:20 am

I am interested in studying abroad but have not found any telling information on Berkeley's site regarding study abroad options.

Berkeley doesn't have any formal study abroad program, though I know someone who is (verly likely) going to Venice with Vandy next year and getting full units for it. It's available, but you have to do the legwork and go with programs from other schools (either domestic or abroad) and get it approved.

I also have a friend working at the Hague as an intern/extern (for units) next semester. Again, though, this person did the legwork.

How awesome is Berkeley? Be as detailed as you wish.

Well, I like it.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:23 pm

When do they start doing sign-ups for the apartments? Do you know if it is possible not to get one of the apartments if you apply for one?

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 am

I know a few classmates who signed up for grad student housing shortly after the ASD in April. I didn't contact Manville until late June. They waitlisted me for a week or so, then let me in. I didn't try Jackson House or any other school-owned option, but I'm guessing these fill up by midsummer as well. However, if it's like last year, all students in the incoming class (with the exception of WL admits) will have to commit by early June, so there is no reason to wait all summer before looking for a place to live. Only a strong lack of initiative could cause you to miss out on the chance to get grad student housing.

NoodlesHighChief

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:29 am

I know there is some intense construction going on at Boalt right now and it will not be done until 2011. Is this negativly affecting things at all? What are the conditions like right now?

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:30 pm

Yes, the construction was annoying last semester. Construction was taking place directly beneath the large lecture halls. This did provide some comic relief, though. I think this is supposed to be finished this week or at least in the next couple weeks. The main construction project is outside the building, which has blocked off several entry points to the building, so getting in and out is no longer as convenient. In general, it isn't too bad. People who come to Berkeley aren't all that focused on building aesthetics :)

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Son of Cicero wrote:I know a few classmates who signed up for grad student housing shortly after the ASD in April. I didn't contact Manville until late June. They waitlisted me for a week or so, then let me in. I didn't try Jackson House or any other school-owned option, but I'm guessing these fill up by midsummer as well. However, if it's like last year, all students in the incoming class (with the exception of WL admits) will have to commit by early June, so there is no reason to wait all summer before looking for a place to live. Only a strong lack of initiative could cause you to miss out on the chance to get grad student housing.

Thanks for the reply. How do the prices at the school apartments compare to off-campus housing? Also, I saw utilities are included--does that include Internet? Thanks again.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks for the reply. How do the prices at the school apartments compare to off-campus housing? Also, I saw utilities are included--does that include Internet? Thanks again.

All inclusive, I paid about $1000/month for a 280 sq. ft. studio in the student apartments last year. This year, I'm paying (half of) $1700/month (all inclusive) for a 720 sq. ft. two bedroom apartment in South Berkeley. A 500 sq. ft. one-bedroom apartment will typically run you about $1300-1400 close to campus on the south side.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Also, I saw utilities are included--does that include Internet?

Yes, it does. The connection is extremely fast and has never crashed on me.

NoodlesHighChief

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Is the Ida Jackson house worth living in?

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Pros:

Very close to the school
Reasonably priced

Con:

Very close to the frats

I have two friends who lived in Ida Jackson at the beginning of 1L. Both moved out as soon as they were able because the noise was unbearable some nights.

NoodlesHighChief

Postby NoodlesHighChief » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Formerbruin wrote:

Pros:

Very close to the school
Reasonably priced

Con:

Very close to the frats

I have two friends who lived in Ida Jackson at the beginning of 1L. Both moved out as soon as they were able because the noise was unbearable some nights.

I live in Ohio and don't want to take a bunch of furniture out to CA or to buy new furniture so Ida Jackson sounds appealing. Is the noise something that ear plugs can't fix?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Is Berkeley's relatively (compared to other T14 schools) low biglaw placement reflective of a preference for public interest work or does Berkeley have trouble placing students in biglaw?

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:49 am

By biglaw, I assume you mean NLJ250 or Vault 100. This topic has been debated numerous times on these forums. I'm not planning on debating that here (note to any trolls). There is self-selection at play, but this plays out both in terms of career choice and in geography. Most of the biglaw jobs are in NY. Many students here prefer to stay in California. I got off the bus this morning in something of a bad mood, but that was erased as I walked toward the doors of the law school and looked down the hill at the Golden Gate Bridge fencing in the Bay. It is really hard to leave that sight. Berkeley grads tend to be more public interest and public service oriented than other schools. These jobs are competitive and many of the top graduates here pursue those jobs, which detracts from the pool of top grads available for big law. Even those who end up working for firms will do so for plaintiff side firms or labor law firms. Finally, many of the students here are not interested in the rat race mentality. They are more interested in lifestyle-type firms, though these firms are disappearing. All that said, you will have options, if you want them for biglaw even on the east coast, because you will have lesser competition here for those jobs. However, if you want to work on the east coast, NYU, Columbia, Penn, UVA, Cornell, etc. will all have better alumni networks in place. If that is your sole criterion in choosing a law school, you will probably end up a miserable alcoholic. That's not to say it shouldn't be a factor in your decision, but you should consider how important it is to you.

I located a post Formerbruin made last cycle, which is informative, though perhaps all the callback folks were top 10% here and so this is an exception rather than the rule:
Here are the results from 2006 OCI at Boalt for NYC Skadden, Arps:

Bids (People who requested an interview): 28
Interviews: 20 (interviews are determined without pre-screening)
Callback invites: 17
Callback interviews: 9
Offers: 9
Acceptances: 1

85% of those who interviewed on campus received an offer to fly to NY to interview with the firm. Of those, half decided to actually go, and all who went received offers. Only 1 of those 9 actually decided to actually take a position, however.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Another question about the matching scholarships:

When did people typically submit the scholarship offer you were looking to get matched? Also, did you just submit the largest one you got? Would it make sense to submit, for instance, a Michigan one for a smaller amount than a Duke one, because they figure you're more likely to be actually choosing between Michigan and Berkeley?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”