Columbia 1L Taking Questions (Class of '11) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
roster

New

Re: Columbia 1L Taking Questions

Post by roster » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:13 am

So this is a really stupid question, but do you know of a group of Columbia Law students that gets together regularly to play competitive basketball/how hard is it to get on that Dean's Cup thing?

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:19 am

roster wrote:So this is a really stupid question, but do you know of a group of Columbia Law students that gets together regularly to play competitive basketball/how hard is it to get on that Dean's Cup thing?
Don't know about "competitive" basketball. A bunch of us go to the gym / park to play a couple of pickup games every week, and we're not the only law school group.

Dean's Cup is incredibly hard to get on as a 1L, easier 2L/3L. I think the team's something like 8 Guys and 3 Girls, only 1 1L this year.

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:44 am

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 pm

The market seems to be hardest on public interest students at the moment. I'm pretty confident that they'll all get jobs by August (though I know a few people who are in fact pretty stressed). The problem is that big firms and big banks support a lot of public interest causes. If the big stuff loses money, donations are the first thing to go. Even the ACLU has had major layoffs this year.

So there are less positions available, and students have to compete with ACLU type lawyers who may have five years experience. It's not impossible to get hired directly by a public interest organization, but getting a fellowship has a higher priority than it used to.

Further, clerkships are looking more attractive to public interest students. Next year, I will be much more willing to accept a position with a magistrate judge in, say, hartford CT than I thought I would be. Most of this is learning what I would actually be doing as a clerk for a magistrate judge, but some of it definitely has to do with the idea that you just don't turn things down in this economy.

For firms, people are more nervous, but I have only HEARD of 1-2 people that don't have summer positions, and that was back in early March. A lot of people have gotten some deferments, but everyone seems like they'll be employed, making money, etc.

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:14 pm

chris0805 wrote:The market seems to be hardest on public interest students at the moment. I'm pretty confident that they'll all get jobs by August (though I know a few people who are in fact pretty stressed). The problem is that big firms and big banks support a lot of public interest causes. If the big stuff loses money, donations are the first thing to go. Even the ACLU has had major layoffs this year.

So there are less positions available, and students have to compete with ACLU type lawyers who may have five years experience. It's not impossible to get hired directly by a public interest organization, but getting a fellowship has a higher priority than it used to.

Further, clerkships are looking more attractive to public interest students. Next year, I will be much more willing to accept a position with a magistrate judge in, say, hartford CT than I thought I would be. Most of this is learning what I would actually be doing as a clerk for a magistrate judge, but some of it definitely has to do with the idea that you just don't turn things down in this economy.

For firms, people are more nervous, but I have only HEARD of 1-2 people that don't have summer positions, and that was back in early March. A lot of people have gotten some deferments, but everyone seems like they'll be employed, making money, etc.
THanks, Chris!

Gosh, this is making me lean heavily toward deferring a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:18 pm

huckabees wrote:
chris0805 wrote:The market seems to be hardest on public interest students at the moment. I'm pretty confident that they'll all get jobs by August (though I know a few people who are in fact pretty stressed). The problem is that big firms and big banks support a lot of public interest causes. If the big stuff loses money, donations are the first thing to go. Even the ACLU has had major layoffs this year.

THanks, Chris!

Do you really think it'll be better in 4 years than 3 years?

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:50 pm

I wouldn't really worry too much about starting law school this year. Personally, I'm not as worried about next year even. The economy was a surprise to everyone, and we were all taken a little off guard. I heard of people who turned down jobs earlier in the year because it wasn't "a perfect fit" who would love to go back and take that same job.

This year was likely the worst of it AND no one was prepared for it. I'm pretty confident that I'll be fine next year, and I'm even pretty confident that this year's 3Ls will be fine by this summer.

Also, just to clarify my poor writing, no one has gotten a deferment from a summer position. The deferments are all 3Ls working for firms this fall/early winter (opposed to this summer).

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:22 pm

sbalive wrote:
huckabees wrote:

THanks, Chris!

Do you really think it'll be better in 4 years than 3 years?
Hey Sbalive, I do think it will be somewhat better with another year, and I'll have somewhat more knowledge about any changes in the Biglaw landscape.

Another thing is that I just don't want to take on that much debt if Biglaw salaries will be significantly depressed, because I don't want to work in Biglaw for more than a few years (with the primary goal of paying off my debt -- I don't want it to be my career). Taking a year off will give me more time to evaluate how worthwhile the investment in a JD would be.

If I were very committed to getting a JD though, I would probably not defer JUST because of the economic situation, as there are opportunity costs to deferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:36 pm

Do law students play intramural sports?

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Definitely. For intramurals, I was on a men's football, coed football, and men's soccer team in the fall. I hurt myself in an unrelated incident early this semester, and that keeps me from doing anything in the spring.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:35 pm

awesome, thanks. our co-ed intramural softball season just ended and it was way more fun than I expected it to be.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:16 pm

I posted this is the 2012 thread, but this is probably a better place to ask it. I've had a Powerbook and I'm buying a new MacBook. I know I need bootcamp to run the CLS exam software, but does that mean I need Windows Vista/XP installed as well? I'm not totally clear on how bootcamp works.

Appreciate any help!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:13 pm

I don't know either how bootcamp works, but the law school's IT people are around throughout introduction week and again around exam time to set up your computer.

X58

New

Post by X58 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:00 pm

so because of the housing using Columbia's network for Internet..that means theres a big no no on using torrent programs correct?

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:18 pm

quick plug for my "Choosing Columbia housing" thread in the dicuss forum. Would like to know your opinions

EdmundDantes

New

Post by EdmundDantes » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Hoping some of you can weigh in on these sentiments ...

I've heard a constant parallel made between Columbia and Chicago as two schools that are great to be from, but pretty bad to be at in terms of quality of life. I've talked to a handful of students at Columbia and one of the constant themes was: "On the whole, you will not like the students here. You may make a few good friends, but people here suck. Still, you should come here because what matters is your career, and Columbia will do a lot for it."

Thoughts?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:04 pm

EdmundDantes wrote:Hoping some of you can weigh in on these sentiments ...

I've heard a constant parallel made between Columbia and Chicago as two schools that are great to be from, but pretty bad to be at in terms of quality of life. I've talked to a handful of students at Columbia and one of the constant themes was: "On the whole, you will not like the students here. You may make a few good friends, but people here suck. Still, you should come here because what matters is your career, and Columbia will do a lot for it."

Thoughts?
I am going to Columbia next year, and I am fucking awesome. Conclusion? You are being lied to.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:06 pm

lol Lem you are blitzing the Columbia threads today, eh?

When I visited CLS I found most of the students and admits to be pretty cool...

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:08 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:lol Lem you are blitzing the Columbia threads today, eh?

I just moved home (Philadelphia) from New York, and I'm bored as shit. What can I say? Also, it's 90 degrees in Center City and there's nothing I'd rather do than chill with a beer and my new MacBook Pro. Life is good!

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:15 pm

+1. Some of the admits seemed a bit uptight, but were nicer once they chilled the hell out. The current students I talked with were pretty cool. And the CLS '12 people on this thread seem reasonably chill. So I'm not too worried :)
Last edited by MeTalkPrettyOneDay on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Lem37 wrote:

I just moved home (Philadelphia) from New York, and I'm bored as shit. What can I say? Also, it's 90 degrees in Center City and there's nothing I'd rather do than chill with a beer and my new MacBook Pro. Life is good!
Yeah, Philly's a little too hot today. And, the air conditioning is sucking at work. I think I'm going to head home, and maybe if it cools off a bit later go out in the Square and enjoy a granita from La Colombe (assuming they've started making it again).

(Oh, and CLS students all seemed cool. The admits I met all seemed pretty cool too, but for all I know they're all headed somewhere else. Also, given that one of them started a Del thread, I think that at least guarantees a base level of coolness. Of course, the level will decrease once I officially send in my deposit. :) )

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:17 pm

sbalive wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

Yeah, Philly's a little too hot today. And, the air conditioning is sucking at work. I think I'm going to head home, and maybe if it cools off a bit later go out in the Square and enjoy a granita from La Colombe (assuming they've started making it again).
Right now, all I want to do is go to Eulogy and browse through their 300+ beer options and maybe get some mussels in a white wine/butter sauce. In fact...I think I may do that tonight. Mm.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Lem37 wrote:
sbalive wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

Right now, all I want to do is go to Eulogy and browse through their 300+ beer options and maybe get some mussels in a white wine/butter sauce. In fact...I think I may do that tonight. Mm.
Nice. Now you're making me think about how I'm going to miss Philly though :|

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 pm

sbalive wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

(Oh, and CLS students all seemed cool. The admits I met all seemed pretty cool too, but for all I know they're all headed somewhere else. Also, given that one of them started a Del thread, I think that at least guarantees a base level of coolness. Of course, the level will decrease once I officially send in my deposit. :) )
Yes, yes, I started the Del thread, thus setting the bar for CLS coolness.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”