Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
panda

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby panda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:53 am

como wrote:Only go to law school if you really can handle feeling awful for [strike]weeks[/strike] months at a time.

fixed that for you.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 am

letthegreatworldspin wrote:i have a financial question.

for starters, i earned $24K this year. my parents are in the comfy middle class range, nothing nuts, maybe a combined income of $100K or thereabouts.

i was just accepted to cornell (with both numbers above their 75th percentile) but was told that i'm not being considered for those crazy dean's scholarships of $105K. there's a chance that my parents will be able to help some with the tuition, but i'm sure that i'll be paying the lion's share through loans and grants.

thing is, i've only applied to cornell so far because i hadn't thought too much about attending other schools. people say elsewhere in this thread that they're pretty good at matching funds. last year, i got some nice offers from places like michigan and duke ($45K and $60K respectively)... assuming that i'll be applying for merit- and need-based aid, is it a good move to apply to some lower T14 schools in the hopes of getting cornell to match offers? or am i better off sticking with their aid proposal?

apologies in advance for the question. all of the financial info is very foreign to me.

Cornell matches offers with Mich and Duck, but not with like, UT. For a comprehensive list, ask the FA office at Cornell.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm

panda wrote:
como wrote:Only go to law school if you really can handle feeling awful for [strike]weeks[/strike] months at a time.

fixed that for you.

Or genuinely enjoy working 14 hrs/day 7.5dys/week...

panda

Postby panda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
panda wrote:

fixed that for you.

Or genuinely enjoy working 14 hrs/day 7.5dys/week...

(of course, factoring in time for Hulu and TLS of course.. :P )

I'll be sure to wave to you all from the bottom of the curve..

como

Postby como » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Wanna play guess your grades?

Lawyering - B
Civ Pro - B+
Con Law - B
Contracts - B-
Torts - B

What's that put me at?
Something like 3.00

Great...

panda

Postby panda » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 pm

como wrote:Wanna play guess your grades?

Lawyering - B
Civ Pro - B+
Con Law - B
Contracts - B-
Torts - B

What's that put me at?
Something like 3.00

Great...

i fucked up contracts.. .dont get me started.. so. bad. i chose C for all the multiple choice i didnt get to (like 10..)

bcuz that is the grade i predict i will get.

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:36 am

como wrote:Wanna play guess your grades?

definitely not!

Fuser

Postby Fuser » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Hey everyone, this thread has been really helpful and now that I am actually in at Cornell I have some questions that I'd like more information on.

First, I've read that there are a lot of students that come from the west, especially California, and was wondering if any one here has first hand experience with the logistics of moving across country to a place that isn't as accessible as most places. I know there are flights that go to Ithaca, but what about getting around, moving in etc. Did anyone drive to Ithaca from the west coast?

Also, how difficult is it to find housing being on the other side of the country? Thanks again.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Fuser wrote:Hey everyone, this thread has been really helpful and now that I am actually in at Cornell I have some questions that I'd like more information on.

First, I've read that there are a lot of students that come from the west, especially California, and was wondering if any one here has first hand experience with the logistics of moving across country to a place that isn't as accessible as most places. I know there are flights that go to Ithaca, but what about getting around, moving in etc. Did anyone drive to Ithaca from the west coast?

Also, how difficult is it to find housing being on the other side of the country? Thanks again.

+1, and to add to that,what are some of the prime housing places for law students (and what places should you avoid at all costs?)?

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:30 pm

I can't speak to the moving cross-country bit, 'cause I cheated and didn't bring more than I could fit in my suitcases. But as for finding a place, it's not that bad.

Landlords start looking for tenants in december, which sucks, but there are plenty of apartments and everyone finds a place eventually. I recommend taking a long weekend, scouring craigslist, etc., calling up landlords and making appointments, then coming out here and just looking at places. I lined up about 10 viewings over two or three days (I can't remember, I think torts took that weekend), and found three places I thought looked good.

Part of the problem is that until you get here you really don't know what you're getting into. There are very few apartment buildings or complexes, most apartments are in big old houses that have been split up. That means there's no way to know whether it will be livable or a complete disaster until you've seen it.

Three particular things to ask about: heat, laundry, and repairs. It gets cold here, and if they're charging you for heat, it could get expensive, fast. The last thing you want to be worrying about during finals is laundry, so try to find a place with machines. Another thing you REALLY don't want to worry about during finals, is repairs; if something goes wrong, there should be someone you can call to get immediate repairs, or at least patch work, done.

As for places to live and places to avoid, mainly look at prices. The law school is right next to the most expensive part of ithaca, Collegetown, and rent can get ridiculously high. I'm talking about $1000+ studios. Rent ranges from ~$400-$1500, depending on where you live, how many roommates you have etc. I think most people pay $500-$800 per person.

Here, I made a quick map. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114074331673749047850.00047adfde4b4d73ce428&ll=42.434923,-76.493082&spn=0.017294,0.038581&z=15

Looking at the map, the law school is in the south-west corner of campus, Then there's collegetown, which, as I said, is expensive, south of that there's lowercollege town, which is less expensive, but further away, I think most of the 1Ls live there, or at least it's the most dense. Then there's the downtown area called the commons, it's a cool place, sort of, sometimes... kind of far away, not really special. Then fall creek is north of that, it tends to be quieter, it's a sleepy kind of family neighborhood, and usually you have to rent a whole house. Then there's easthill, which i know nothing about and may have misplaced on the map....

Anyway, hope that helps. Let us know.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Sheltron,

Wow, thanks for the detailed write-up! The map is also useful (I just wish I had a better perspective on the proportions...). It sounds like Ithaca is just one of those places you have to visit to get a good feel for where to stay. I think I'll do that soon.

Would you endorse Hughes Hall? I really enjoy living by myself but I don't know if I can pay up 1500 for Collegetown or suffer through years of dorm life again.

como

Postby como » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:59 pm

I've got an apt. coming on the market June 15th. It's nice and a 7 minute walk from...everything really.

panda

Postby panda » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:37 pm

shel, don't you get tired of typing?

i dont know how you manage to do all that stuff, AND make charts for Ks..
:P

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm

boss wrote:Sheltron,

Wow, thanks for the detailed write-up! The map is also useful (I just wish I had a better perspective on the proportions...). It sounds like Ithaca is just one of those places you have to visit to get a good feel for where to stay. I think I'll do that soon.

Would you endorse Hughes Hall? I really enjoy living by myself but I don't know if I can pay up 1500 for Collegetown or suffer through years of dorm life again.

That's a no on hughes. It's a dormitory. in the basement. where undergrads walk by. and it's REALLY not a good deal for the price.

I was just quoting a high price there, $1500 would be at (or, god forbid, near) the ceiling. I have one roommate, in a fairly spacious apartment right near the center of lower collegetown, we pay about 450, each. And frankly, I'm glad I don't live in collegetown proper, there are way too many undergrads partying and being young (and in love?).

Ithaca is not large. It's a 15 minute walk from the law school to the commons, and there are lots of busses on the main roads. The biggest problem with not living in the center of college town is the hill, but if you live far enough away you take the bus and never even notice. I added a couple lines to help give you a perspective, the point close to the law school is CTB, the nearest coffee and sandwhich shop, and that's less than a minute away from the front doors of the law school.

panda wrote:shel, don't you get tired of typing?

Didn't I post that while I was studying for Torts?

js87

Postby js87 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
boss wrote:Sheltron,

That's a no on hughes. It's a dormitory. in the basement. where undergrads walk by. and it's REALLY not a good deal for the price.

I was just quoting a high price there, $1500 would be at (or, god forbid, near) the ceiling. I have one roommate, in a fairly spacious apartment right near the center of lower collegetown, we pay about 450, each. And frankly, I'm glad I don't live in collegetown proper, there are way too many undergrads partying and being young (and in love?).

Ithaca is not large. It's a 15 minute walk from the law school to the commons, and there are lots of busses on the main roads. The biggest problem with not living in the center of college town is the hill, but if you live far enough away you take the bus and never even notice. I added a couple lines to help give you a perspective, the point close to the law school is CTB, the nearest coffee and sandwhich shop, and that's less than a minute away from the front doors of the law school.

panda wrote:shel, don't you get tired of typing?

Didn't I post that while I was studying for Torts?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. The dorms in Hughes are in the basement? Are they single bedrooms? Common bathrooms for the floor, or 'suite' style shared bathrooms? I'd personally like to live on campus the first year, but not if Hughes is some medieval dungeon haha.

Are there any apartments in the commons/downtown?

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Hughes has suits with three bedrooms that share a bathroom, they're not all in the basement per se, but they're so inclosed it's hard to tell the difference. STRONGLY DISRECOMMENDED, campus is not far enough away from anything, and there's nothing there except the health center, the bookstore, and the gyms (the law school is the first building you can get to on foot). So not worth the money or the sacrifice in space and comfort.

There are apartments in the downtown area, actually there are apartments in all the areas I highlighted on the map. The thing is, there's no discernible difference between living in the commons and living in lower collegetown, and lower collegetown is right in between the two, so... yeah.

panda

Postby panda » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:08 am

sheltron5000 wrote:Didn't I post that while I was studying for Torts?

i don't know.. i don't keep track.. it's hard enough keeping track of what day it is..

panda

Postby panda » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:16 am

sheltron5000 wrote:STRONGLY DISRECOMMENDED, .

meh. i don't agree.

look, it really depends on what you want/need. what i strongly recommend is that you come check it out for yourself and see whether it fits your standards of what you are looking for or not.

there is not one single person who is living in hughes who doesn't love it this year, at least not that I have spoken to. they are all good friends now, and they are in the school, and right next to the library, which, let's face it, is beneficial for a 1L. most of them get out, because a lot of them have cars, so if you want to leave the law school, you can very easily. it's really practical, if you ask me.

now, the reason i didn't choose Hughes, and a reason a lot of people didn't, is because of the format of the dorms. there is a common kitchen for 48 people, which was the deal breaker for me.. and it is kinda stuffy etc.. but a lot of people don't mind it at all! if you really wanted to live in the law school the first year, you might really like it..

so, the point is, you should check it out, and decide for yourself. but don't cross it out just yet..

pianist

Postby pianist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:56 am

Just got in and have a few questions:

1) Is it a good idea to drive a Firebird (RWD with wide all-season tires) in Ithaca during winter time? I just want to keep my bird.

2) Among the 1Ls who tried to find paid internships in the summer, about what percentage of them actually found the internships? What kind of grade do I need to have in order to have a good chance of finding a paid internship as a 1L?

3) Among the 3Ls who tried to get into BigLaw, about what percentage of them found their jobs fairly smoothly?

4) Can I park my car at/near the school after 5/6/7?PM without a permit?

5) How difficult is it to get into the JD/MBA program as a 1L? My work experience is very limited, but I do think that I can nail the GMAT and have a decent interview. Is it still possible schedule-wise to do a study abroad program if I am in the 3-year JD/MBA program?

I visited Cornell many years ago and really liked the school and the overall environment. I also like the small size of the law school. While I don't really care about the ranking myself (and I also think that Cornell deserves a higher rank), I do want to know if the market treats Cornell law school graduates favorably, especially in the Northeast region.

Many thanks in advance!

matt386

Postby matt386 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:05 am

I just wanted to say, today is the last day of 1L fall semester finals (Torts today), and it's 0 degrees outside right now. Literally, on the bottom of the weather channel, 0 degrees. Take that factor into consideration when picking a school. Not to say Cornell isn't great, but if you don't like cold, consider Miami or Florida or UCLA or USC or somewhere like that maybe instead?

como

Postby como » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:07 am

pianist wrote:Just got in and have a few questions:

1) Is it a good idea to drive a Firebird (RWD with wide all-season tires) in Ithaca during winter time? I just want to keep my bird.

2) Among the 1Ls who tried to find paid internships in the summer, about what percentage of them actually found the internships? What kind of grade do I need to have in order to have a good chance of finding a paid internship as a 1L?

3) Among the 3Ls who tried to get into BigLaw, about what percentage of them found their jobs fairly smoothly?

5) How difficult is it to get into the JD/MBA program as a 1L? My work experience is very limited, but I do think that I can nail the GMAT and have a decent interview. Is it still possible schedule-wise to do a study abroad program if I am in the 3-year JD/MBA program?

I visited Cornell many years ago and really liked the school and the overall environment. I also like the small size of the law school. While I don't really care about the ranking myself (and I also think that Cornell deserves a higher rank), I do want to know if the market treats Cornell law school graduates favorably, especially in the Northeast region.

Many thanks in advance!

1) Absolutely not -- you will end up crashing your 'bird into a telephone pole or another car. RWD & Upstate NY winter = disaster.

2) We're looking right now. Stay tuned.

3) I'm going to have to defer to 2 and 3Ls here. I'm not sure what the percentage is, although I heard that last year's OCI callbacks were depressing for most. That is probably the case at every school by the way. 2008 = sucked big time for most people looking for jobs or trying to hold onto one. The legal field was no different.

4) There is a parking lot on campus that (I think) is free after 7 or so. It's about a 5 or 6 minute walk from the law school. But again, refer to answer (1).

5) One of my friends is looking into this now. It might be prohibitively expensive, but it is certainly doable. I think you do an extra semester or two and end up with a MBA. You MIGHT be able to study abroad still, but you might get stuck taking a bunch of wishy-washy law classes that make you look like a 3d year undergrad trying to party in sevilla on his parent's dime.

We're all here because we believed Cornell would give us a good chance of getting a good job, whether it is in NY, Chicago, DC, Cali, or TX. There are folks from all over here and many are looking to return home after school. It's a good school with national rep, but yea, there are probably places that might be better if you're trying to break a particular market. Cornell does pretty well in NY. I know I've got like 10 emails from career services about summer jobs and winter-break meet&greets that I should definitely look at after this damn torts exam. Anyway, come check it out.

I'll show you around if you holler.

pianist

Postby pianist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:28 pm

como wrote:
pianist wrote:Just got in and have a few questions:

Many thanks in advance!

1) Absolutely not -- you will end up crashing your 'bird into a telephone pole or another car. RWD & Upstate NY winter = disaster.

2) We're looking right now. Stay tuned.

3) I'm going to have to defer to 2 and 3Ls here. I'm not sure what the percentage is, although I heard that last year's OCI callbacks were depressing for most. That is probably the case at every school by the way. 2008 = sucked big time for most people looking for jobs or trying to hold onto one. The legal field was no different.

4) There is a parking lot on campus that (I think) is free after 7 or so. It's about a 5 or 6 minute walk from the law school. But again, refer to answer (1).

5) One of my friends is looking into this now. It might be prohibitively expensive, but it is certainly doable. I think you do an extra semester or two and end up with a MBA. You MIGHT be able to study abroad still, but you might get stuck taking a bunch of wishy-washy law classes that make you look like a 3d year undergrad trying to party in sevilla on his parent's dime.

We're all here because we believed Cornell would give us a good chance of getting a good job, whether it is in NY, Chicago, DC, Cali, or TX. There are folks from all over here and many are looking to return home after school. It's a good school with national rep, but yea, there are probably places that might be better if you're trying to break a particular market. Cornell does pretty well in NY. I know I've got like 10 emails from career services about summer jobs and winter-break meet&greets that I should definitely look at after this damn torts exam. Anyway, come check it out.

I'll show you around if you holler.

I am interested in the program in Beijing, since I do prefer to go back to China after getting some experience in the US. Is that program well respected among legal professionals (how do the profs/students/future employers think of that program)?

Thank you for the detailed answer! I will check back later. Best of luck!

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:45 pm

como wrote:
pianist wrote:

I'm certain this is a joke.

pianist

Postby pianist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:02 pm

kn6542 wrote:
como wrote:
pianist wrote:

I'm certain this is a joke.

Oh no, I am driving my 'bird and I really want to bring it to Ithaca. But of course I also want to know how people would describe the consequences of my stupid idea. como has been modest.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:32 pm

For some reason this map makes it look like my apartment is in the middle of campus. Why does the brown campus color encompass so much stuff west of Stewart Ave?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”