Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
neskerdoo

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by neskerdoo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:35 pm

KMaine wrote:There were raspberry bars?

next time, you'll put animals first!

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:14 am

neskerdoo wrote:
KMaine wrote:There were raspberry bars?

next time, you'll put animals first!
Yeah, KMaine, didn't you hear PETA supports tossing kids out of lifeboats before dogs? Oh, sorry, they were just talking about kids like mine. Your kids are probably safe...

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:49 am

um, everyone hates PETA

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 am

neskerdoo wrote:um, everyone hates PETA
Even Dorf?

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:33 am

mbw wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:um, everyone hates PETA
Even Dorf?

Oh, I was referring to mere mortals

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

como

Silver

Post by como » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:08 pm

mbw wrote:
panda wrote:
como wrote:
the123kid wrote:are there any cool kids in your section or is it mostly nerds?
Some sections are more fun than others. Some don't seem fun at all.
are you subtly talking about our section?

i better not be part of that classification if you are.. :mrgreen:
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think Mr. Como has a full appreciation of the subtleties of the humor of our section. :roll:
Way to assume the worst, guys. Section C is obviously the most fun - we're somewhere between gunnerville and livesatruloff's. I enjoyed our ice cream social last Friday. Good times had by all...

grumpy

New

Post by grumpy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:59 pm

can anyone attest to what happened with this year's OCI? was it the students at the very top or on law review who got biglaw? how helpful has career services been this year?

coward

New

Post by coward » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Does anyone know kmaine personally? I sent a PM but haven't seen a response and had a specific question.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could send him my way

Thanks,

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:59 pm

coward wrote:Does anyone know kmaine personally? I sent a PM but haven't seen a response and had a specific question.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could send him my way

Thanks,
I sit next to him in our next class... I'll let him know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coward

New

Post by coward » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:17 pm

Really appreciate it mbw

Jenaimarre

New

Post by Jenaimarre » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:26 pm

the123kid wrote:are there any cool kids in your section or is it mostly nerds?

Way to assume the worst, guys. Section C is obviously the most fun - we're somewhere between gunnerville and livesatruloff's. I enjoyed our ice cream social last Friday. Good times had by all...

Imma let you finish, but I want to say that Section D is CLEARLY the best section this year...

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm really interested in Cornell, but I'm very debt averse. Cornell does not seem to give much in the way of merit money, and tuition is sky high (50k/yr). The highest merit scholarships I see on LSN seem to be 10k/yr. With a 171 LSAT (retake) and a 3.75 do you think I have a shot at any significant scholarship money? I will not qualify for any need-based aid due to a relatively high family income, but I am on my own for financing my legal education.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:49 pm

js87 wrote:I'm really interested in Cornell, but I'm very debt averse. Cornell does not seem to give much in the way of merit money, and tuition is sky high (50k/yr). The highest merit scholarships I see on LSN seem to be 10k/yr. With a 171 LSAT (retake) and a 3.75 do you think I have a shot at any significant scholarship money? I will not qualify for any need-based aid due to a relatively high family income, but I am on my own for financing my legal education.
I know many people, myself included, who received more than that -- some as URMs, but other non-URMs with decent numbers, even lower than yours. However, Cornell combines merit and need $$s, so it's generally not driven by merit alone. Just the way they do it here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:20 pm

For the three lines where they ask Why have you chosen to apply to Cornell, I wrote one sentence (that took up all three lines) that truly was the reason I decided to apply, but it's very generic. At the end of my PS I dedicated a substantial paragraph to Why Cornell. Is this okay you think?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:15 pm

i got the same score again---161.

am scheduled to visit cornell on the 30th--yay or nay?
its 4.5 hours away

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:40 pm

mbw wrote:
js87 wrote:I'm really interested in Cornell, but I'm very debt averse. Cornell does not seem to give much in the way of merit money, and tuition is sky high (50k/yr). The highest merit scholarships I see on LSN seem to be 10k/yr. With a 171 LSAT (retake) and a 3.75 do you think I have a shot at any significant scholarship money? I will not qualify for any need-based aid due to a relatively high family income, but I am on my own for financing my legal education.
I know many people, myself included, who received more than that -- some as URMs, but other non-URMs with decent numbers, even lower than yours. However, Cornell combines merit and need $$s, so it's generally not driven by merit alone. Just the way they do it here.
Well, this is only true if you're qualifying for need-based aid. You can get exclusively merit aid as well. And I think the highest scholarship is like 105k, though a 171/3.75 would get that. But yeah, you should be able to get some money. I know someone who got some money from Michigan and was able to get Cornell to match. Cornell is pretty good about matching money at peer schools, so that's an option too.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:08 am

Just fyi, 173/3.7 did not get me a 105K scholarship. Either the $$$ ran low last year, or there's more to it. But, Cornell was generous, and I heard from quite a few people that they were good about matching peer schools, especially if you expressed sincere desire to choose Cornell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:10 pm

grumpy wrote:can anyone attest to what happened with this year's OCI? was it the students at the very top or on law review who got biglaw? how helpful has career services been this year?
OCI was a gigantic $hit $how. The numbers I heard from Career Services is 60% got callbacks. A lot less than that got offers, based on the experiences I have heard from people who had them. I had good grades, and am on a journal. No luck for me.

Career services has been hit or miss. They don't seem to have a cohesive plan to help the large portion of the class of 2011 that has been hit by a perfect storm of hiring craptacularness. That said, Liz Peck is still very helpful, and I'm sure most of us will land on our feet somewhere in government or small law firms. Just not where we expected to be, or where career services told us we should expect to be.

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:14 am

fsohn wrote:
grumpy wrote:can anyone attest to what happened with this year's OCI? was it the students at the very top or on law review who got biglaw? how helpful has career services been this year?
OCI was a gigantic $hit $how. The numbers I heard from Career Services is 60% got callbacks. A lot less than that got offers, based on the experiences I have heard from people who had them. I had good grades, and am on a journal. No luck for me.

Career services has been hit or miss. They don't seem to have a cohesive plan to help the large portion of the class of 2011 that has been hit by a perfect storm of hiring craptacularness. That said, Liz Peck is still very helpful, and I'm sure most of us will land on our feet somewhere in government or small law firms. Just not where we expected to be, or where career services told us we should expect to be.
this is pretty accurate.

grumpy

New

Post by grumpy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:34 am

fsohn wrote:

Would you recommend deferring/waiting to apply?

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:46 pm

grumpy wrote:
fsohn wrote:

Well, there's at least a year before you even start applying for jobs at all, and 2-3 before you really have to start worrying. The truth is that nobody knows what the legal market is going to look like, really. Everybody has theories, both good and bad, but nobody knows.

Information may be better in a year, or not; the market may be better in a year, or not. Either way if you're serious about practicing law, you should apply whenever you think you're at a good point to do it. No one can forecast what's going to happen even next year, or how hiring or even billing practices might change.

If you're set on nyc biglaw $$$, yeah, maybe you should wait a year, but you might find out that it's not what it used to be when it's your turn to apply.

I guess what I'm saying is that whatever decision you make, it's all kind of a flip of a coin because so much is up in the air right now.

Good luck, and remember to take all of us bitter law students with a grain of salt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:For the three lines where they ask Why have you chosen to apply to Cornell, I wrote one sentence (that took up all three lines) that truly was the reason I decided to apply, but it's very generic. At the end of my PS I dedicated a substantial paragraph to Why Cornell. Is this okay you think?
I should thinks so. They don't ask for an essay. Just make sure that what you say in those three lines is genuine and consistent with everything else in your app. I honestly suspect that the point is to get an indicator of how much you've really thought about it, since ppl tend to blanket the entire T14.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 am

grumpy wrote:
fsohn wrote:

I would consider what else you have to do in the meantime. If you think you can improve your app enough to get into a better school than you would now, and you have something reasonably productive to do, why not? I doubt it will hurt your career or life plan to wait a year. It's unlikely to HURT you, so consider whether it will help you and weigh the choice.
Check out the DOL forecast statistics. They won't tell you precisely what the legal market is going to do, but they will give you a clearer picture of things.

grumpy

New

Post by grumpy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:50 pm

kn6542 wrote:
grumpy wrote:
fsohn wrote:

I would consider what else you have to do in the meantime. If you think you can improve your app enough to get into a better school than you would now, and you have something reasonably productive to do, why not? I doubt it will hurt your career or life plan to wait a year. It's unlikely to HURT you, so consider whether it will help you and weigh the choice.
Check out the DOL forecast statistics. They won't tell you precisely what the legal market is going to do, but they will give you a clearer picture of things.
very helpful response. thank you. my numbers are high for cornell but i have personal/family reasons for wanting to be in the area. i guess it might be a good idea to reconsider.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:00 pm

As far as I saw, Cornell never mentioned that you even had the option of submitting a Why Cornell statement, so I just wrote a generic sentence on the app. Am I OMG FUCKED cuz I tried to follow da rules?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”