Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:18 am

Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26 am

No, and nothing.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:03 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:No, and nothing.

This.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:00 am

panda wrote:also, just wondering, 0Ls interested in Cornell.. do you want a new thread to ask questions, or is this one fine?

I can't imagine why you would want a new one, though..except that the filtering process might be a little rough..

FWIW, I just spent the last two days perusing this thread.

I honestly hadn't considered Cornell before perusing the thread. I'm not sure I'm sold on the small town idea, but the law school is much more appealing after the long read. It's certainly on my list now.

I wouldn't start a new thread, this one has a lot of answers and it's not as if people can't ask questions without reading if they want to be lazy. Then again, lazy and Cornell don't seem to be a very good match.

panda

Postby panda » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:14 am

KMaine wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:No, and nothing.

This.

+eleventy billion

panda

Postby panda » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:18 am

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
panda wrote:also, just wondering, 0Ls interested in Cornell.. do you want a new thread to ask questions, or is this one fine?

I can't imagine why you would want a new one, though..except that the filtering process might be a little rough..

I honestly hadn't considered Cornell before perusing the thread. I'm not sure I'm sold on the small town idea, but the law school is much more appealing after the long read. It's certainly on my list now.

I wouldn't start a new thread, this one has a lot of answers and it's not as if people can't ask questions without reading if they want to be lazy. Then again, lazy and Cornell don't seem to be a very good match.

haha.. ok..point taken.

you really shouldn't be hung up on the small town thing

a) you have most likely your whole career to be living in a big city
b) it's easier to socialize and meet people, and see your professors
c) you want to get good grades in law school, small town in the middle of nowhere = conducive to a good study atmosphere
d) a LOT of students spend semesters outside Cornell.. sometimes more than 1.. granted, not in 1L, but later on, that is definitely an option.. i know people that are current CLS students everywhere from NYC to London.. something to keep in mind..

:wink:

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:48 am

panda wrote:I honestly hadn't considered Cornell before perusing the thread. I'm not sure I'm sold on the small town idea, but the law school is much more appealing after the long read. It's certainly on my list now.

Glad that you like whay you hear. Keep an open mind. Cornell wasn't even on my radar this time last year, but (so far) it ended up being the perfect place for me.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 am

Vegas_Rebel wrote:

We're only a few hours drive away from several major cities: Toronto, Boston, Philidelphia, Pittsburg, and some podunk town called theh big apple, I know at leas one 1L who's already gone away for concerts and such. Some of us are planning short trips away for fall break etc.

It's small, but it has all the necessities, and we really don't have a whole lot of time for the stuff you'd need a big city for, especially Ikea.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:42 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:We're only a few hours drive away from several major cities: Toronto, Boston, Philidelphia, Pittsburg, and some podunk town called theh big apple, I know at leas one 1L who's already gone away for concerts and such. Some of us are planning short trips away for fall break etc.

It's small, but it has all the necessities, and we really don't have a whole lot of time for the stuff you'd need a big city for, especially Ikea.

Despite the god-awful cost of parking permits ($680 is more than I will have spent on permits for my entire undergrad) I'll almost certainly be bringing my car. I'll also be brokeish, but at least having major cities by is a little comforting. I've just gotten used to Vegas, and it seems like Ithaca is probably not the sort of place that one might go out at 3 in the morning for breakfast and coffee.

Obviously the winters are pretty bad being so far north, but how's the weather roughly year round? Assuming I don't want to ride in snow, rain, or anything less than 10 degrees (Fahrenheit), roughly how many days / weeks per year do you think it would be feasible to ride a motorcycle?

The parking permits are bad, but how's the other fees of ownership? Insurance seemed cheaper than Vegas with the brief glance I did, how about registration / licensing, etc?

There's a couple of things that have me considering other schools, but they're all relatively minor. (Like Michigan having a good football team, etc.) In the end, academics is more important than QoL considerations, and Cornell is pretty amazing in that department.

Also, thank you to everyone answering questions. You're a credit to your school, and they should be paying you for recruiting :)

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:Despite the god-awful cost of parking permits ($680 is more than I will have spent on permits for my entire undergrad) I'll almost certainly be bringing my car. I'll also be brokeish, but at least having major cities by is a little comforting. I've just gotten used to Vegas, and it seems like Ithaca is probably not the sort of place that one might go out at 3 in the morning for breakfast and coffee.

Yeah, you won't be going out at 3am for bfast. You also won't have much time for stuff like that, especially if you have a 9am class and finish your reading at 1am. Unless you don't sleep.

You really do not need to park on campus. There are buses, or if you're close enough, you can walk.

Vegas_Rebel wrote:Obviously the winters are pretty bad being so far north, but how's the weather roughly year round? Assuming I don't want to ride in snow, rain, or anything less than 10 degrees (Fahrenheit), roughly how many days / weeks per year do you think it would be feasible to ride a motorcycle?

Year 'round? The summer is beautiful. The locals lives for the summer. But you aren't likely to be here then. The fall is very nice, too. And winter doesn't really hit until Spring semester, so you can ride probably until December if you want to. Yet if you don't want to ride in rain, it's not likely that you will be riding much at all, as it rains a lot. Also, winter is a pretty deep biting cold, so if you don't have good boots, down, thinsulate, capiline 3-4, whatever, then you should get them, especially if you don't plan to be entirely inside for 3 solid mo.

Vegas_Rebel wrote:The parking permits are bad, but how's the other fees of ownership? Insurance seemed cheaper than Vegas with the brief glance I did, how about registration / licensing, etc?

My insurance didn't change at all. Registration fees were about the same as where I lived before, but you do have to get your vehicle to pass a safety inspection, which is a serious scam. You take it to a private shop and have them do it, and they almost invariably find some work they need to do before passing you. I'd recommend taking it to a reputable place like Hunt's or Diane's, because they aren't likely to scam you.

panda

Postby panda » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:04 pm

KMaine wrote:
panda wrote:I honestly hadn't considered Cornell before perusing the thread. I'm not sure I'm sold on the small town idea, but the law school is much more appealing after the long read. It's certainly on my list now.

Glad that you like whay you hear. Keep an open mind. Cornell wasn't even on my radar this time last year, but (so far) it ended up being the perfect place for me.

woah.. major misquote.. im in your class buddy.. it was the other dude saying that..
but.. hmm..who are you.. ?

i only know two ppl from maine, and definitely not one of them, and most likely not the other.. :mrgreen:

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:52 pm

panda wrote:
KMaine wrote:

woah.. major misquote.. im in your class buddy.. it was the other dude saying that..

i only know two ppl from maine, and definitely not one of them, and most likely not the other.. :mrgreen:

Panda, he's from Maine (well, sort of :)) and in our section. I'm sure you know him.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:We're only a few hours drive away from several major cities: Toronto, Boston, Philidelphia, Pittsburg, and some podunk town called theh big apple, I know at leas one 1L who's already gone away for concerts and such. Some of us are planning short trips away for fall break etc.

Despite the god-awful cost of parking permits ($680 is more than I will have spent on permits for my entire undergrad) I'll almost certainly be bringing my car. I'll also be brokeish, but at least having major cities by is a little comforting. I've just gotten used to Vegas, and it seems like Ithaca is probably not the sort of place that one might go out at 3 in the morning for breakfast and coffee.

Obviously the winters are pretty bad being so far north, but how's the weather roughly year round? Assuming I don't want to ride in snow, rain, or anything less than 10 degrees (Fahrenheit), roughly how many days / weeks per year do you think it would be feasible to ride a motorcycle?

The parking permits are bad, but how's the other fees of ownership? Insurance seemed cheaper than Vegas with the brief glance I did, how about registration / licensing, etc?

There's a couple of things that have me considering other schools, but they're all relatively minor. (Like Michigan having a good football team, etc.) In the end, academics is more important than QoL considerations, and Cornell is pretty amazing in that department.

Also, thank you to everyone answering questions. You're a credit to your school, and they should be paying you for recruiting :)

Based on what we've seen so far this year you'd have august and most of september. I dunno about october, but it's looking like it won't be that bad.

panda

Postby panda » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:36 am

mbw wrote:
panda wrote:
KMaine wrote:

Panda, he's from Maine (well, sort of :)) and in our section. I'm sure you know him.

no way! he was one of the two people i meant.. im sure you know who the other one of the two is.. :lol:

i had no clue he is on TLS .. well.. color me embarrassed..

im sad. i am on TLS instead of memo-ing.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:45 am

kn6542 wrote:
lollypotter wrote:The no laptops in class thing has actually made me hesitate to apply. How does this work in practice?

There's only one prof, as far as I know, who does that. You'd have him for one semester. It's hardly a reason not to apply.

I would consider that a big plus - it's really put me off some schools when I've visited and students are busy playing online scrabble with each other or reading news/e-mailing/facebooking while in class.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:37 am

Yeah, Panda, you know me. Don't know why the quote came out with your name. It was a misquote. And I will defer to MBW as being the only true Mainer in our class.

mbw

Postby mbw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 am

KMaine wrote:Yeah, Panda, you know me. Don't know why the quote came out with your name. It was a misquote. And I will defer to MBW as being the only true Mainer in our class.

That's only because you don't want to pay me those 1374 bushels of corn...

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:27 am

ruleser wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
lollypotter wrote:The no laptops in class thing has actually made me hesitate to apply. How does this work in practice?

There's only one prof, as far as I know, who does that. You'd have him for one semester. It's hardly a reason not to apply.

I would consider that a big plus - it's really put me off some schools when I've visited and students are busy playing online scrabble with each other or reading news/e-mailing/facebooking while in class.

Actually there are two profs: shiffrin and summers, but I think summers is retiring. You'll also be happy to know that there's no wifi in the lecture halls.

lawlover829

Postby lawlover829 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:00 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Actually there are two profs: shiffrin and summers, but I think summers is retiring. You'll also be happy to know that there's no wifi in the lecture halls.

Y is there no WifI? That's sad.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:11 am

lawlover829 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

faculty said so

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:20 am

neskerdoo wrote:
lawlover829 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

faculty said so

Ugh.

Michigan seems to have a couple profs that ban laptops too, and I have no idea what I'd do for note taking in that case. If the adcoms can actually read my writing sample, they might find it passable, but I'm not counting on it.

I can appreciate that not screwing off on the internet in class is a Good Idea, but lack of internet is more of a distraction to me than having it.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:24 am

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
Ugh.

Michigan seems to have a couple profs that ban laptops too, and I have no idea what I'd do for note taking in that case. If the adcoms can actually read my writing sample, they might find it passable, but I'm not counting on it.

I can appreciate that not screwing off on the internet in class is a Good Idea, but lack of internet is more of a distraction to me than having it.

haha, why?

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:25 am

No internet in the classrooms is irritating for the first couple of weeks, but eventually you just get used to it. Some people set up ad-hoc networks so they can chat, other people just play downloaded games... it's really not a big deal. Not nearly as big as you'd think, anyway.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:34 am

lawlover829 wrote:

Lawyers in the best sense! Duh!

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:46 pm

woeisme wrote:
lawlover829 wrote: