Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fsohn

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 am

sbrown83 wrote:
FCD wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's the ranking situation at Cornell? Are students ranked individually, put into percentage groups, or what?

they publish the median and top 10% cutoff, and put a deans list mark on your transcript if you're top 30%.

I believe in second and third year, they also publish the top 5% cutoff.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 am

Im currently working on my Why Cornell essay. Any tips on what to write about

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:50 pm

goosey wrote:Im currently working on my Why Cornell essay. Any tips on what to write about

Write about the things you value that cornell does well, some common examples are the death penalty project, international opportunities, the LII, etc. You could also include things that are attractive to you but not really law related, like the small school/community environment, Ithaca is gorges, and so on.

I just wrote a long list of all the things I liked about Cornell.

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:00 pm

shameless bump so that these get answered:

paraducks wrote:a few q's:

1) what's the most convenient way to get to the gym? from what i can gather, noyes is the closest to the law school. is there are a parking lot that i can use?

2) any suggestions on taking the bus from downtown (aurora st, specifically?). from what i can tell, line 10 seems to be best. any other useful info would be appreciated.

3) i purchased 10 24-hour parking passes. how and where can i use them?

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Does anyone who had Heise for Torts still have their syllabus from last semester? I was just wondering about the first week's reading (my spouse has to go to Europe the first week of September, so I was hoping to read a little ahead, as, with four kids, I'm sure it will be more challenging than usual.) Pretty please :)?

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:23 pm

mbw wrote:Does anyone who had Heise for Torts still have their syllabus from last semester? I was just wondering about the first week's reading (my spouse has to go to Europe the first week of September, so I was hoping to read a little ahead, as, with four kids, I'm sure it will be more challenging than usual.) Pretty please :)?

1. Introduction & Background: xxxv-xlii

A. Intentional Torts

2. Battery: 3-10

3. Offensive Battery & Assault: 83-85; 79-83

4. False Imprisonment: 85-93

5. Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress: 93-100

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Awesome. Thanks, Nesk.

danielfgator

Postby danielfgator » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 pm

fsohn wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:
FCD wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's the ranking situation at Cornell? Are students ranked individually, put into percentage groups, or what?

they publish the median and top 10% cutoff, and put a deans list mark on your transcript if you're top 30%.

According to what I have read, they don't publish median, only 5% and 10% cutoffs and mark your transcript Deans list (if 30% +)

From the grading policy:
"Class Rank
As a matter of faculty policy, we do not release the academic rankings of our students. Interested
individuals, including employers, have access to the 5% and 10% approximate cumulative grade
point cut off for the most recent semester of completion for second and third year students and
the 10% approximate cumulative grade point cut off for first year students."

danielfgator

Postby danielfgator » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:53 pm

goosey wrote:Im currently working on my Why Cornell essay. Any tips on what to write about

I literally just answered the "Why Cornell" question on the actual application. 2 or 3 sentences saying Cornell had some good clinics for Human rights law and the fact that I wanted to be close to my wife who was going to be living in NYC and apparently they liked it...

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:15 pm

danielfgator wrote:
fsohn wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:

According to what I have read, they don't publish median, only 5% and 10% cutoffs and mark your transcript Deans list (if 30% +)

From the grading policy:
"Class Rank
As a matter of faculty policy, we do not release the academic rankings of our students. Interested
individuals, including employers, have access to the 5% and 10% approximate cumulative grade
point cut off for the most recent semester of completion for second and third year students and
the 10% approximate cumulative grade point cut off for first year students."

While they don't publish the exact median, it can't be any higher that a 3.35

jtaylor

Postby jtaylor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Getting my list together for the application cycle and seriously considering Cornell. I love Ithaca and the campus but was wondering if there was a technology law/ Intellectual Property Law focus available. Schools like UVA and GTown have sections on IP law in their prospective student materials but Cornell does not so I sort of figured it wasn't really taught (plus the Cornell website is a bit sparse in general).

Thanks

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:48 pm

jtaylor wrote:Getting my list together for the application cycle and seriously considering Cornell. I love Ithaca and the campus but was wondering if there was a technology law/ Intellectual Property Law focus available. Schools like UVA and GTown have sections on IP law in their prospective student materials but Cornell does not so I sort of figured it wasn't really taught (plus the Cornell website is a bit sparse in general).

Thanks

I can't speak to this directly, but have you heard about the LII, the Legal Information Institute? It's a first of it's kind internet resource for legal information, they take on students who want to work on it, sort of like a journal.

mbw

Postby mbw » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:22 pm

I just realized that we're now the 1Ls who will be answering questions in this thread... Twilight Zone moment...

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:55 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
jtaylor wrote:Getting my list together for the application cycle and seriously considering Cornell. I love Ithaca and the campus but was wondering if there was a technology law/ Intellectual Property Law focus available. Schools like UVA and GTown have sections on IP law in their prospective student materials but Cornell does not so I sort of figured it wasn't really taught (plus the Cornell website is a bit sparse in general).

Thanks

I can't speak to this directly, but have you heard about the LII, the Legal Information Institute? It's a first of it's kind internet resource for legal information, they take on students who want to work on it, sort of like a journal.

LII operates like a journal, yeah. It has its own separate writing competition. It isn't exactly about IP law, though. It really just showcases upcoming Supreme Court cases.

OP, there isn't an IP journal, but there are a number of class offerings (and maybe clinics) that have to do with IP law. It's definitely taught. Good luck.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

woeisme wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

Thanks

LII operates like a journal, yeah. It has its own separate writing competition. It isn't exactly about IP law, though. It really just showcases upcoming Supreme Court cases.

OP, there isn't an IP journal, but there are a number of class offerings (and maybe clinics) that have to do with IP law. It's definitely taught. Good luck.

It's not about IP law, but it's very tech-forward; if your interest is being involved in techie stuff, it seems like a good place to look.

TopLaw_Diva

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:08 pm

mbw wrote:I just realized that we're now the 1Ls who will be answering questions in this thread... Twilight Zone moment...

Wow! I just realized that too...weird... :shock:

azxount10

Postby azxount10 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:32 am

Maybe if you actually spoke out of knowledge and did a little asking around (i.e. research)about her past encounters with the law school and many of its members whose views are not so naive, your responses might have some merit.

kn6542 wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:
azxount10 wrote:I have heard that one of the deans at Cornell Law, Anne Lukingbeal, should be generally avoided by the students who are men because she has a tendency to be unfair to them and generally unapproachable, and that Dean Siliciano is more reasonable for administrative matters such as studying abroad.

haha, is this what you've 'heard'?

He heard it rattle around in his own head a few times and thought that constituted a rumor.

Yeah, sorry aaxxczxj290, but Lukingbeal is great.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:48 am

azxount10 wrote:Maybe if you actually spoke out of knowledge and did a little asking around (i.e. research)about her past encounters with the law school and many of its members whose views are not so naive, your responses might have some merit.

kn6542 wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:
azxount10 wrote:I have heard that one of the deans at Cornell Law, Anne Lukingbeal, should be generally avoided by the students who are men because she has a tendency to be unfair to them and generally unapproachable, and that Dean Siliciano is more reasonable for administrative matters such as studying abroad.

haha, is this what you've 'heard'?

He heard it rattle around in his own head a few times and thought that constituted a rumor.

Yeah, sorry aaxxczxj290, but Lukingbeal is great.

So you're a male (or know someone who is), who wanted to study abroad, and Lukingbeal said no, while Siliciano said yes? Doubtful. If true, point me in direction of so-called research. I'm happy to consider it.

azxount10

Postby azxount10 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Geez, that's a lot of assumptions in one sentence! Would that happen to make you someone who is trying to stick up for a horrible dean because you think it may improve your career prospects and / or it might otherwise compromise your career prospects to do anything but? Unfortunately, another mistaken belief. You may want to do a little homework about Anne Lukingbeal's track record with those who are not "fans." People, believe it or not, of all genders. You can start with past law review members.

Dean Lukingbeal (and the influence she exerts over her own niche within the law school) is one of the factors holding back Cornell Law School from becoming a true top 10 law school, IMHO. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Last edited by azxount10 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Bumping this bc I'm wondering what the consensus is on the Why Cornell. I was planning on just using the three lines or so they give but it seems everyone so far in other threads are writing a short addendums or advise doing so.

What are other applicants doing? Anyone from last cycle think they got a WL bc of a deficient Why Cornell where they just used the space provided instead of adding a longer addendum?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:56 pm

azxount10 wrote:Geez, that's a lot of assumptions in one sentence! Would that happen to make you someone who is trying to stick up for a horrible dean because you think it may improve your career prospects and / or it might otherwise compromise your career prospects to do anything but? Unfortunately, another mistaken belief. You may want to do a little homework about Anne Lukingbeal's track record with those who are not "fans." People, believe it or not, of all genders. You can start with past law review members.

Dean Lukingbeal (and the influence she exerts over her own niche within the law school) is one of the factors holding back Cornell Law School from becoming a true top 10 law school, IMHO. Thank you for your time and consideration.

How many times are you going to edit this? And who are you?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:58 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Bumping this bc I'm wondering what the consensus is on the Why Cornell. I was planning on just using the three lines or so they give but it seems everyone so far in other threads are writing a short addendums or advise doing so.

What are other applicants doing? Anyone from last cycle think they got a WL bc of a deficient Why Cornell where they just used the space provided instead of adding a longer addendum?

As far as I can remember, the app doesn't say "use additional paper if you need more room." It just gives you three lines, so say the most important things you want to say and do it in the space provided. Maybe someone else has some insight into this, but that's all I did. But I also included a little more detail about why cornell in my PS.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:32 pm

awesome thread, thanks for all the info

I probably won't get in but it's nice to have another school to think about

panda

Postby panda » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:58 pm

kn6542 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Bumping this bc I'm wondering what the consensus is on the Why Cornell. I was planning on just using the three lines or so they give but it seems everyone so far in other threads are writing a short addendums or advise doing so.

As far as I can remember, the app doesn't say "use additional paper if you need more room." It just gives you three lines, so say the most important things you want to say and do it in the space provided. Maybe someone else has some insight into this, but that's all I did. But I also included a little more detail about why cornell in my PS.

this. but if you have numbers on the weaker end, it couldn't hurt to instead write an addendum with more detail..

panda

Postby panda » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:02 am

also, just wondering, 0Ls interested in Cornell.. do you want a new thread to ask questions, or is this one fine?

I can't imagine why you would want a new one, though..except that the filtering process might be a little rough..

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”